Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
As I've posted before, I'm looking at an '02 Impreza Outback Sport with a few minor blemishes. It's cheap and rugged and would be my first Subaru. All the interior stuff seems to work fine, and the engine sounds clean sitting in neutral and drove fine with the AC cranked in 31'C (88'F) weather.

I've got two major problems with the car before I pull the trigger:

1. When I put the clutch in, the shifter starts to shake as the clutch leaves the lock point. The PO said that this is because the "neutral return spring" has gone and he had already replaced it once. When in neutral the shifter feels very "loose" but notches into gear properly, which seems consistent with a missing spring or something in the assembly. I'll be looking at the service records during my second test drive this weekend. If it's just a simple matter of putting in the spring and tightening down a linkage, then it's no big deal, but especially since this is the second time it's happened, I'm worried this is a harbinger of transmission death.

2. About how long should the 2.5L in that car last? He's kept up with all the service intervals (even replacing spark plug wires) but the car has 192,000 km (119k mi) on it, which is pretty heavy (although he's made a cross-country move with it). He's replaced the head gasket with the more durable one (out of warranty, pre-emptively).

And I have a few other questions:
- Is the clutch supposed to be so heavy? It's perfectly drivable and fun, but I was surprised compared to a Chevy Cavalier (although that clutch is terrible).
- Is the weather stripping at the top of the doors something I should be looking at replacing? The frameless window just seems to sit "on top" of it and it seems like rain would get in.

Thanks, guys. Really excited to get a car that doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Disciple of Pain posted:

If we can figure out if those are 14" wheels it is likely AWD (FWD was 13).
Unless they upgraded. It looks like they are probably the bigger wheels considering the wheel gap, but who knows?

quote:

Also, looking at the specs... WTF is a hill-holder clutch?
I could swear this was somewhere else in the thread, but can't find it right now; it's an angular valve on the brake system that holds some braking pressure when you let go of the brakes and are on an incline. The idea is to make it easier to start from a dead stop on a hill by preventing you from sliding back. You probably don't need it, and I think it gets in the way.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 31, 2008

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ScaryFast posted:

I was looking into clear bra treatments too and the dealership mentioned 3M but I've heard reports on NASIOC that it yellows over time.
It depends where you get the 3M done; from what I understand from asking locals about it, some places use lower-quality film (one doesn't even bother covering the entire hood, with big "panel gaps" on the corners and front edge). On a white car I wouldn't risk it anyway; I'd guess that all of it yellows out eventually.

Black car? Yeah, I'd probably go for that. Looks a lot better than a fabric bra and the Subaru paint is really thin.

Has anyone with a 2008+ Impreza gone for the short shifter kit? Is it actually worth $475 CAD or could I install a third-party one without busting my warranty later?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 19, 2008

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

B4Ctom1 posted:

It is my understanding that it is my current understanding that it is the Outback model.
I think it's the Outback -- I was told at the dealership this is because the car needs to be classified as a "light truck" for CAFE purposes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is the throttle lag on the 2009 2.5i the same as it was on the 2008? I've heard a few people grumbling about it, but I didn't really notice it during my test drive of the 08. Then again, my current car is agonizingly slow in comparison to base model Corollas.

The WRX did seem 'snappier' than the 2.5i -- is that because of a different ECU throttle map, or mechanical differences? If it's the former, it doesn't seem like you can use AccessPort on the NA machines, is there a way to 'firm up' the throttle?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

The stock dbw mapping kind of sucks. We usually change it pretty significantly when we tune cars. Although I feel like it helps you rev-match for some reason.
Fair enough, but can you tune the 2.5i (i.e. is there an AccessPort-like solution?) It seems the AccessPort-style stuff is all for WRXes and STIs and not for the naturally aspirated guys.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I would opt for the Outback XT or Legacy GT wagon over the Outback H6; not necessarily because the H6 is worse, but because I suspect it's hard to go back from forced induction to free breathing. Additionally, once you do get the urge to go and tune it (you will) it will probably be easier.

Your roommate's blown head gasket is possibly due to the bad run of head gaskets in the initial 2.5L machines; I believe this is mentioned previously in the thread, but I was told that at this point Subaru had them outsourced and the outsourcer did a terrible job.

Here are some links about the head gasket issues:
http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/headgasket.html
http://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-head-gasket-problems-explained/

I'm not sure of the difficulty of installing the new head gasket, but a dealership can certainly do it if you can't. In my own experience I've yet to find a 2.5L Subaru in the used market (out of about 10-12 I've looked at) that hasn't had this done.

If you're interested in the Outback "body style" but want something smaller, I recommend the 2000-and-earlier GC Impreza "L" wagons; they are quite fetching (more than the Outback, in my opinion) and may have the 2.2L "bulletproof engine."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I always wondered what happened to that car. When you get it running, you should take it for a spin.

I take it an H6 swap is not entirely as easy as it looks?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

TurboLuvah posted:

From what I've seen 9-2xs have been selling for less than comparable WRXs for some reason, it's very strange.
The flipside is insurance; I was once quoted $6600/yr to insure a 9-2X Aero.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

nm posted:

Seriously? Most of the time the 9-2x has lower rates if the net is to be believed. It isn't like the WRX is a cheap car to insure.
This is just in my experience; I walked away from a cherry Aero because even the cheapest insurance quote there was something like double the WRX and I didn't feel comfortable running it with only liability.

I suspect the price of collision/comprehensive was mostly because of the rarity of the front clip; possibly the Albertan insurance concerns don't actually understand the concept of "shared internals" since Sunfires and Cavaliers also have different insurance rates.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

TurboLuvah posted:

What the Christ, do you have loving five DUIs or something?!
Nope, zero tickets, zero infractions, under 25 and Alberta. Auto insurance here is an enormous scam (it was based entirely on age up until about a year ago, when the provincial government sued; now they just "ask" you for your age and don't use that information, honest).

Keep in mind this is with collision, and I only tried a handful of insurers. Like I said earlier, I suspect this is expensive unique parts, or their records show that three people had Aeros and two of those three people cracked them up. My "grid position" will probably get better next year.

For comparison's sake, some other insurance quotes from the same insurer (with collision, liability and comprehensive insurance):
'94 Miata: $2168/yr
'04 Forester: $3598/yr
'04 GTI: $3705/yr
'99 2.5RS: $3967/yr
'02 2.5TS: $3043/yr

It seems to be the case with most insurers; almost everyone I know is just running liability ($1426) and comprehensive (about $80/yr) on their cars.

On the plus side, I could probably plow through a Mazda dealership and my rates couldn't go up much higher.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Okay, this is really stupid, but I know that Imprezas have a reputation as "lego cars." How far does this association actually go? Can I buy a '98 Brighton, remove its naturally aspirated EJ22 and transaxle and drop in a 2.0L JDM STI engine, transmission and wiring harness and expect it to work?

From what I can see from introductory poking around nasioc and the like, the big deal is setting up the ECU properly so the engine works (some JDM pulls here come with an ECU included). I'm not sure about the physical dimensions, personally; it seems like I'd need a new engine mount of some kind at the very least in order to accommodate the missing 200cc of motor. I've seen successful turbo swaps for 2.5RSes, but not very many for 2.2Ls, and most swap threads I've found so far are devoid of specific details.

I have heard of EJ22 turbos, but they're rare (I think even the 1993 JDM WRX has an EJ20).

I'd probably also need to move around some other stuff in the engine bay in order to fit it (and possibly locate 2.0L specific gubbins like power-steering pumps, alternators, belts, not to mention the manifolds). I'm assuming this is not something that a guy whose only experience with engines is replacing head gaskets can accomplish with a 12-pack and rented lift, so this post is more of curiosity than undertaking it as a serious project. If it actually is pretty easy, I can start to look into it but otherwise it would most likely be cheaper and less stressful to simply keep looking for a nice WRX - I don't think an engine-swapped turbo hellion is an appropriate daily driver.

I'm asking because I've found a beautiful 1998 Impreza Brighton wagon that has a great, super low-mileage body but the 134bhp EJ22, while bulletproof, doesn't seem to have a great reputation for performance. There's also a shortage of local crate motors, and the only JDM motors available at the moment are NA 2.5Ls.

Inspections are not a problem; we do not have regular safety or emissions inspection.

tl;dr: EJ20t into '98 GC wagon, how insanely stupid is this?

edit: When the H6 was being discussed in the Subaroyota RWD thread, it was mentioned that the H6 is not much longer than the H4 block. Is it the case that most Subaru motors are about the same physical external size, and the difference in displacement comes from the internals (bored out)?

edit 2: I probably need the EJ20 specific fuel pump as well, I don't think the old pump can crank out dead dinosaur fast enough to keep the turbo mill happy.

MMD3 posted:

seriously, it shouldn't cost anywhere near that much... I'm with Progressive and they quoted me a little less than it would be for a WRX (neither of which are anywhere near $6600/year)
Yeah, I'll definitely be doing some shopping around when I pick up a new car. I was told this morning by a local Saabaru owner that there's a different insurer that isn't completely retarded when it comes to WRXes and 9-2Xes.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 24, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FlyingPotato posted:

Dunno how it is on Subarus, but on my Probe that would mess with your alignment. Rotating it different positions gave you different camber or something.
I don't think it matters which car it is; you should always get a re-alignment done after you've replaced suspension components.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
WRX prices are starting to drop here - the dealership in Edmonton just turned up an unmodified 2003 Sonic Yellow Spec R1 wagon with 79,000km on it for $20 000 CAD. Even a week ago, the same car would've been selling for $25k or higher. :) There's also some normal bugeye WRXes for about $16k, but they're a bit more loved.

There's a nice red 2005 9-2X Aero with 43k for $19 900 at a dealership down the street, but I'll have to look again at the insurance rates before I think about one. There are also some really cheap STIs, but I'd prefer not to have that that much presence on the road (a yellow WRX would be bad enough!)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 11, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nice Cosworth parts. Those conrods seem really thick compared to the ones in the cutaway boxer I played with at the auto show.

atomicfire posted:

Park it either in reverse or first, but personally I park it in neutral and pull the parking brake. It's called the parking brake for a reason, if you pull it all the way and your car still moves get the cable tightened (the right way).
Is there a problem with putting it in gear and engaging the e-brake? I usually put my car in 1 or R and then pull the e-brake to park, regardless of incline. I can't see why you'd put it in neutral to park unless you start the car without the clutch in (mine has an ignition disable switch and won't start without the clutch pedal depressed).

My thinking is, if the e-brake fails while it's parked, at least the transmission will catch some of the load. I use the parking brake with automatics in park as well, because I don't trust the parking pawl.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 6, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Holding down the cruise control button turns on anti-lag.
Is it like the WRC anti-lag (inject air into the exhaust) or more like the older kind where you screw with the fuel mixture? I assume it's the latter since the former would be difficult for just an ECU swap to do.

I guess you could install a bypass valve and open that electronically and suck in air that way, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Asking about this because I'm starting to see some STI swaps showing up: how easy is it to do an STI swap into a WRX? There are a few examples showing up on local enthusiast forums where a guy has replaced his bugeye motor with a JDM 2.0L STI motor.

Is the wiring harness the same? I know the wiring harness for adding a JDM STI motor into a USDM 2.5RS is a big ordeal, but is it that big of a difference between turbo models? I assume not, because the STI motor is pretty much the same as a WRX motor except with stronger gubbins and a beefier turbo, correct?

Basically, if the swap is very trivial I'll feel better about looking at those swaps. Otherwise, the amount of things the installer can gently caress up is going to make me uneasy. It's already bad enough that they've replaced the motor for some reason (and may or may not have also replaced the transmission/mounts/etc if the last one blew).

On the plus side, the price of WRXes is coming way down to reasonable degrees. I guess everyone getting fired from sweet oilpatch jobs is starting to affect the market. Still looking out for a nice wagon.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 5, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

dayman posted:

If the car wasn't swapped by a notable garage, then it's important to find out how long they've been driving it and to try and find as much info as possible by perusing forums and the like. Swaps are most definitely the trickiest thing you can do with a subaru and shouldn't be taken lightly, but as a result these shops are in demand and they do a fantastic job.
Thank you. I was also wondering about power-add mods.

There are a lot of WRXes for sale with catback/turboback exhausts, and I've read in this thread that you need to do a tune immediately after modifying the exhaust. So far I've been checking listings to see if they come with an Accessport, or asking the owners if they have done the tune themselves.

Some quick questions about that then:
- I don't see a lot of other people asking the seller in "for sale" threads on enthusiast forums if the car has been tuned. Is it general knowledge that you should be tuning after an upgrade?
- Is a tune for this exhaust doable on your own? I assume there are maps you can download and flash onto the ECU with the Accessport.
- Should I just run away from any machines that have had intake/exhaust mods? Seeing cold-air intakes and especially blow-off valves flips my bozo bit and I religiously avoid the car.

For reference, my ideal is to have a mostly-stock wagon that is pretty reliable. I would like to have a waist spoiler if possible, since I like how they look on the '98 Impreza Outback Sport, but I don't think they make them for models past MY03.

I don't want to go boost-crazy, but I might be interested in changing the tune to bring in crisper throttle response. I will probably tweak the suspension in order to be stiffer as my maturity as a driver and my ability to turn around cones improves. I don't really want an STI-swapped fire breathing beast making 35psi with an 8500 RPM redline, as I've seen privately sold in my price range.

Does the estimation of 24000km/yr hold for turbo cars as well, or should a turbo car be considered to be 'high mileage' with fewer kilometers on it? The big problem with my local market is how many miles the cars have on them; it is very difficult for me to find a MY06 or earlier with less than 100k km/62k mi on it.

There's a 2003 Spec R1 at Subaru City in Edmonton (4 hours away) for $19000 that has 78,000 km (49k mi) on it, but the colour is a lot more attention-grabbing than I want and the price is also very high for how old the car is.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Just a downpipe with no tune can cause boost creep and other overboost issues. Even with a tune it's not uncommon.
Does this happen on other kinds of cars, or just Subarus?

I am guessing it is because of a lack of backpressure but I don't understand the turbo/exhaust dynamic all that well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Whoa jamal, is that a real 22B? I didn't realize there were any in North America.

Its haunches are so wide. :fap:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is probably a stupid question, jamal, but what exactly is a "rotated" turbo? Is it just that the turbine has been moved around in the engine bay so that the exhaust gas doesn't have to go through as many corners in order to hit the hot side?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So for some reason the flow of WRXes on the used market has almost completely ceased, while there are more 2.5RSes available now than I've ever seen before. While I wait for more turbo wagons to appear so I can test drive them, I had a quick question.

Is it possible to get a significant power increase in a 99RS (30-50 bhp) by replacing hard parts? I've seen some WRXes with a redline of 8500 or higher - I'm not up enough on my engine knowledge to know what you have to do for that, but I imagine they've changed a lot of internals. Does that work on the naturally aspirated cars to make more power? What do you have to replace? I assume they've done stuff like replace the cam/crank, pistons, conrods, etc with lighter/stronger parts and futzed around with the computer.

I'm pretty much sold on the turbos so this is more or less academic - I understand that it's not really economically sane to try and add more power to a naturally aspirated Impreza.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 21, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I thought the Legacy was big before. Is it on a new chassis, or did they just add more body cladding to make it look like a big tough luxury sedan?

Still not liking the taillights, they remind me too much of the 2008 sedan, which looks like a retarded Hyundai. The front end looks great though.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 27, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If it is a broken idle air control valve, giving it a shot of Seafoam or similar probably can't make things worse.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I am looking at a 2002 WRX wagon with relatively low mileage for the age (115k km), full documentation, and a pretty nice body and an adult owner who speaks and writes in full sentences.

Here's what he's told me:
  • He took the car to Canadian Tire when he was getting an exhaust leak, and they told him to replace the header. He went to a local highly reputable independent Subaru shop (Allmakes) and they installed a GReddy header for $500.
  • This didn't fix it, so he also replaced the up-pipe with the Subaru OEM part. The problem is now solved and the car pulls normally, but has a throatier exhaust sound and also the "boxer tick" which I've heard on other Subarus. I assume this to be pretty normal after a header upgrade.
  • He has an intermittently failing front O2 sensor, which is reporting P0031. From googling, I see that this may well be the after-cat O2 sensor, but that's in the post-turbo exhaust system, isn't it? Allmakes told him it wouldn't affect driveability. He's seeking out a replacement O2 sensor anyway.
Is this car likely to grenade itself within the next few years from these changes? I'm not opposed to buying an Accessport and changing the map if that's what it will take to be most reliable.

On the test drive, I will try the "index card test" to see if there is blow-by.

Allmakes said the ECU does not need retuning, and I'm inclined to believe them, since they're a very well known shop around these parts and patronized by guys with seriously high-powered STIs.

edit: Apparently the owner has had the latest full inspection and service done ahead of schedule, and everything came up cherry. I will still do the index card test, but it seems pretty solid mechanically.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 26, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

The replaced up-pipe means that the cat in the original up-pipe failed. When the pre-turbo cat fails, it tends to damage the turbo. Hopefully the replacement up-pipe was catless.

A compression check would be better than the index card test.
Nice water (methanol?) injection kit, and thanks for the tips. I'll make sure the compression test is in the inspection log; he had an inspection as well as the 150k km service done this last week.

I'm assuming that when the cat fails in the up-pipe, the sensor(s) don't expect it and so there's an increased amount of unmetered exhaust pressure which leads to compressor surge because the ECU can't regulate oil (if variable) or the bypass valve; in this case there was an exhaust leak, so it would seem that the turbo was being underused instead of overdriven. Is that right, or wishful thinking?

How long should the turbo last on a stock WRX? I assume they will burn out more readily than other engine components because of the high temperature and RPM load.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 26, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'll definitely try to take a listen to the turbo. I assume it'd make a grinding or clunking noise instead of the nice sweet sound of really fast rotation. How would I check to make sure maximum boost is being hit without a boost gauge? Thanks for your help!

Oh, so you don't just do Subarus at your shop. There's a meth-injected M3 cabriolet here with the "Stage 2.5" :rolleyes: HPF kit, and it's pretty frightening. Water injection is such a simple but effective solution.

I was thinking of handling improvements before the power; given that even the EJ20 would be giving me almost literally twice the horsepower at lower RPM than I had before, I think I'll have enough power to keep me happy for quite some time (or until I get the modification itch, which may well be a few days after purchase).

This is kind of a goober question, and I'm by no means serious about it, but I've seen a bugeye wagon with a front-mount intercooler and a scoopless hood and it makes a killer sleeper. Would you only do a front-mount intercooler if your cooling needs are not met by the relatively small scoop inlet? What are the downsides of doing that? It seems like you'd have to move a bunch of stuff around in the engine bay to fit, and swapping for a (larger) STI top-mount intercooler is probably much easier.

If I get a bugeye, I'm also looking for a waist spoiler since I kind of like the look. From a cursory search it appears there are no waist spoilers for 04+ wagons.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 26, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Baby Hitler posted:

Anyone seen one of these:
I got it from a turbo RX Coupe AWD with a high-low range 5 speed and that diff lock. What a crazy trans that must be.
I've seen a switch like that in early 5-speed Audi Quattro sedans.

I assume nowadays the centre diff is computer controlled to some extent.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So I don't want to jinx the deal, but would a 2002 WRX be okay with E10-blended fuel, or should I try my hardest to find "natural" 90+ octane? I've gotten into a bad habit of filling up my crapbox with E10 and for some reason I remember vague rumblings about ethanol and turbo Subarus.

I don't mind the extra cost (at least not at the moment) - it's just out of my way since all the pumps in my neighborhood are Husky or Mohawk.

e: vvv I'm pretty sure an E85 conversion needs new fuel lines and a bunch of other gubbins, too - from what I'm told it tends to be vaguely corrosive. Some older racing fuel cells also don't like it and need a new bladder, but the stock tank should take it. An E85 conversion would be a net negative for me considering E85 is less common than race gas pumps around here.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 7, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
He's just getting used to it. I slipped the crap out of the clutch on my test drive because I wasn't sure where the engagement point was. I also fired the car forward a couple of times before I figured out how to let the clutch out properly - used to my super light baby clutch and numb throttle. I figured it would be like the NA Subarus, but the clutch is super heavy compared to them.

I also downshifted with too much revving since I wasn't used to how sensitive the throttle was. Near the end of the testdrive (about 30-35 minutes in) I was doing quite well, though, and I did put it in neutral coming up to lights instead of just dumping the clutch when I stopped. I'm sure he'll figure it out.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 15, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

c355n4 posted:

Hehe, I wish this was an option. Its a 1999 2.5RS. Hopefully, I'll be able to drop it off at the shop tomorrow or the day after.
If it is dead, you're one step closer to realizing the true potential of the 2.5RS.

I hope it's a cheap fix, though. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Looks like Subaru Canada stopped being weird.

For MY2009 they offered the WRX224 and WRX265 models, where the 224 was the "old" 2008 design.

They did this in the States too, selling the Impreza GT, except in the States the Impreza GT only came in automatic while our 224 came in five-speed as well.

It looks like they've resolved this now: as of MY2010 all WRXes are WRX265s, and we also have a "WRX Premium" package, which for $3k buys you satellite radio, iPod integration, foglamps, 17" wheels, more speakers, leather seats and a moonroof.

We're still being weird with the NA Imprezas. We now have three kinds of 2.5is: normal, Sport (cloth Impreza seats with fogs, moonroof, 16" alloy wheels, seat heater, satellite radio, and body kit) and Limited (cloth WRX seats, 17" wheels). The Sport and Limited are roughly equivalent to the US Outback Sport but without the two-tone plastic trim.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 29, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

1) How strong is the auto box in the Impreza? Any issues?
Sorry to hear about the health issues, but the auto box should hold up to regular commuter usage. It's possible that a better auto box is coming - like you say, the Legacy has the new CVT tranny which is intended to hold up to more torque (such as the diesel engine) and that's pretty likely to come down the line to the Impreza.

The current version is a Jatco design - it's like if you go to the Superstore and pick up a blue-and-yellow box marked "Automatic Transmission." There's a few tweaks Subaru have added but it's more or less a generic auto. They've had it forever.

Note that the automatic box will kill your resale value - in Canada, 70% of all Subarus sold are manual gearboxes.

quote:

2) I understand that the 00s NA 2.5 had issues. Is it safe to assume that the kinks are worked out by now?
The head gasket problem is cured by (I think) the 2004 model year.

I don't know if the current WRX's problems with metal shavings are also exhibited in the 2.5i, but that's worth looking into.

quote:

4) Anyone know what to expect to get for a cash deal on Subaru in :canada:? From the research I've done (adimitedly little as of yet) we'd be lucky to get $500 or so off of MSRP. Truth to that?
The Subaru website used to list about $1000 off MSRP during the first days of the horrible financial crisis.

When I looked into a new 2.5i during the oil boom, the dealership mostly wanted to throw in free options for me; I didn't start negotiating though.

Compared to the US Impreza prices the Canadian ones are a straight up ripoff - you're paying duty and taxes twice since they first import the shells and running gear to America, do final assembly at SIA and then kick it up North. However, that's pretty much the case with every import manufacturer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
A question, because I want to see one - I've seen a lot of GC Imprezas get swapped over to a WRX engine but I've never seen a GF wagon get one and Google isn't turning anything up.

I like the looks of the Impreza L and I know they built WRXes on that chassis in Japan, so I can't imagine that it would be much harder than a swap into a 2.5RS (other than perhaps some suspension work).

e: Of course now that I've worked out the chassis code of the wagon, the search got a lot better. :eng99: Here's one. Now to find an Outback Sport conversion with the wacky waist spoiler and superfluous hood vents, a la the JDM Gravel Express.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 11, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Most people here just swap in a JDM STI motor, at which point the most difficult part is merging the wiring harnesses. Here is a page that might give you a good idea of what it will be like to swap into a GC/GF chassis Subaru. JDMSource is an example of one company that has a decent supply of JDM STI motors. I've been doing a bit of research on this myself, but I've decided that just buying a WRX that hasn't been brutally abused is a better option - while I wouldn't mind the wiring or mechanical work there's a lot of other chassis work to do that the WRX gives you for 'free' (disc brakes, seats, suspension) and finding a nice 2.5RS is getting harder (I ended up deciding that if I did the swap at all, I'd do it into an OBS and just look like a really fast wagon nerd). My estimated cost also came out to just about the same amount for each and you're always running the risk of getting an absolute poo poo-train STI motor pull from your local disreputable JDM engine seller (which, in Canada, there are a lot of).

If you can find a Legacy Turbo (Legacy SS) with the EJ22T, that'd be a much better option for bombing around with turbo nuttery. There's no boy-racer contingent after it and it has more than enough pluck for what you want. A team here has done fantastic things with theirs in local rally.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 1, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If a PO installs a catback exhaust (in this case, an Espelir GT500), do I have anything to worry about if I remove it and replace the standard part before running the car?

I was under the impression that removing the cats was the cause of boost creep/engine destruction, and so a length of pipe after the cat shouldn't cause wacky exhaust hijinx.

e: Also, a new mod to look out for: aftermarket sunroofs. One WRX PO actually paid someone to get up on top of her car and cut a hole in the roof and wedge in a sunroof. I don't think it'd damage structural rigidity that much, but the thought of the rust from potential water leaks made me turn it down.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 27, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That is a retarded number of miles for an STI-swapped 2.5RS - there are quite a few Canadian examples going for less than that because of our surplus of imported motors that were formerly inside Japanese market STIs.

I've posted a bunch in here about swaps because I kind of wanted to do my own Gravel Express in my backyard, but there's so many places it can go wrong if it's not done professionally in a shop with competent people. Here is some guy's record of doing his own 2.5RS swap.

Google isn't turning anything up for JDM Garage that I can see. It probably couldn't hurt to go take a look at the car. Ask him what he thinks needs to be tuned - if he used the stock STI ECU with stock parts, there probably isn't a lot of stuff to worry about. It looks like he set up a standalone ECU and then went nuts with bolt-ons - there could be some serious mechanical concerns to go with the age of the car.

There's also a lot of pretty ricey mods on that thing: blow-off valves always seem to flip my bozo bit on Subaru builds. Where did that STI motor come from? Was it a crate engine, or was it a halfcut from a rollover? Was it inspected properly before they jammed it into the chassis?

That chassis has some remarkably high miles, even if the engine is solid. If it helps, the naturally aspirated 2.5RSes generally do better in rallycross here than turbocharged cars. I would look at buying one of those, or live with four doors and get a (slightly) unmolested bugeye WRX.

I'd say test-drive it, but definitely go in with a suspicious attitude.

e: On top of that, like jamal mentioned, you live in CA and have to pass a smog inspection. With a stock STI motor and friends you might pass as an STI, but that assumes all the emissions stuff was swapped over properly. Not sure what the specific requirements of CARB are, so maybe you could define it as an engine-swap legally somehow and just have to swap out the CARB-illegal parts.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 28, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Are there any serious differences between the Saab 9-2X Aero and the WRX wagon? As far as I can tell, only the front clip is different - but do those differences impede into the engine bay and prevent certain modifications, or is it just different sheet metal?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Hey, I saw a new Impreza wagon today (it didn't yet have plates). It looked like a base model and had regular red taillights. Are there some models without those clear lights now? This may have happened a long time ago and I never noticed, but all the pictures on Subaru.com show the clear lights.
It's a pretty common modification - you can pick up red film and apply it to the LED taillight. There's a white 08 WRX here with it, and it actually looks really good.

It wouldn't surprise me if dealerships were starting to offer it, though as far as I know it's not an OEM option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How "sporty" is the Outback XT? There's one very close by in nice condition with an attractive mileage for a decent price, and so far I've not had great luck with used WRX wagons.

I assume the suspension is going to be designed for offroading, and so the handling will be much less responsive than that of the WRX - can I swap in the Legacy GT upgrades when I decide I want a sportier ride?

It's a 2005 2.5XT, so I'm assuming it has the same EJ255 as the 2005+ WRX or the Forester XT.