Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

El Scandelouse posted:

I did a thing today. Brand new 2020 WRX Limited. https://imgur.com/gallery/oh93uiH

Niiice

Ive been thinking the same thing.

I want a manual trans, AWD that can seat 4 adults , 5 in a pinch.

All cars are terrible - before i get a 2020 or 2021 WRX, what are the ways in which it is terrible?

Ive heard the diffs are made of paper and jello so you have to rotate the tires every oil change and shave a replacement or buy a whole set if you cant plug one that gets holed. I think i can deal with this.

What else should i know before getting one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
It sounds like the head gasket issues are/were either limited to the 6 cyl, or if they were a thing in the 4 cyl 2L they were resolved in the prev motor generation than the one we get in ‘20 and ‘21.

Also seeing some stuff on oil consumption for the O4 vs an upright I4 like in a honda being an expected thing?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

enojy posted:

Touchy throttle, weird flat spot in the powerband between 4000-5000 RPM. A $700 Cobb Accessport easily fixes/changes those things. There's a little rev hang in the first few gears, but not an atrocious amount. Interior is hit or miss, but overall solid. The non-touch areas really do a good job of not looking pleasant to the touch. Stock Dunlops are loud and noise deadening in the cabin is not great. That's all I got! But I've only owned mine for a year.

Cool. No deal breakers yet then.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

You guys are doing a crap job of talking me out of a WRX.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

um excuse me posted:

I exploded my engine at 72,000. Enjoy, I guess?

Because of something you did? Or didnt do?

Or do they maybe just do that sometimes?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Intended uses of the car include, but are not limited to:

————

Commuting to/from healthcare delivery job for people who really need the care, weather ( snow, sleet, ice , of which we had more than 2 feet this most recent season) be damned.

Grocery getter

Teach my young new drivers the joys of having 3 pedals

Occasional transport of 5 grown rear end adults for rides not exceeding 1 hour max when the bigger car isnt working for a bit

Be fun to drive

———-

WRX is sounding like itll do all this pretty drat well.

I think im really just worried about the mismatched tire size BS if i have to replace 1 when the others have ~20k miles on them. Its a quirk i guess but i might be ok with that.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Motronic posted:

WRX, seriously? I see you've not talked to your insurance agent yet.

Its not /for/ the kids, they get the big slow safe car thats paid for. Maybe a honda beater in a couple years if they dont bend any metal and can put up half the purchase cost.

An excellent point though. Ill have to talk to my insurance guy about this.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Motronic posted:

It doesn't matter if it's FOR them or not. If you have young drivers in your household chances are good that you'll have no reasonable options for excluding them, so the insurance is going to be INSANE. I've got a young driver and my 520 HP twin turbo porsche costs less than a WRX to insure. (which is why I bought her a 5-speed '08 Impreza to learn on)

Uhhhh.

Fukkk. Ok.

Thanks for this heads up. I gotta go make phonecalls and do some math.

Dammit.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Munkeylord posted:

To piggy back. My sti doesnt even have an engine it it and it still costs me 55 a month for storage insurance

And all this high insurance cost is part of the WRX /racecar/ 21 yr old bad decision making thing, im guessing?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Munkeylord posted:

I'm still 21..in my heart

We all are bro.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

OMGVBFLOL posted:

there is literally no practical argument in favor of a wrx that doesn't also apply to the naturally aspirated impreza. if you want the vroomvrooms, go hog wild, but don't delude yourself. you're buying a factory hotrodded version of an otherwise-practical car and taking the corresponding hit on insurance and gas, because it's fun and you get all the other benefits of the practical car, minus the fuel economy and inexpensive insurance

e: basically, compare the difference in purchase price, insurance, and gas, and ask yourself if that ten to twenty grand or so over the next five to ten years is 1) an amount you're fine with budgeting for fun stuff and 2) if more vrooms is the fun thing you want to spend it on, or if you'd rather spend it on something else fun, like a motorcycle, a project car, traveling, or some other hobby. this way, no matter what you decide, youve maximized your smiles per gallon :v:

This here is top notch advice.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Alright. Did it. New ‘21 wrx in the driveway.

It had 111 miles on it new, i dont know how anyone test drives these cars and then doesnt buy one. Its like driving the best go cart ever.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

net work error posted:

Goongrats on the new WRX. What color?

Crystal white pearl

Was not part of the selection criteria, but im really happy with it.

Put 150 mi on it yesterday just enjoying how it drives. I get it now. I understand why people _really_ like scoobaroos.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Which tpms tool do you need to jiggle the sensors correctly when the car is in learn mode for a ‘21 wrx?

Is it any of the Dual Band units on amazon for ~30$ us ? Or do i have to get the 150$ bastard from tire rack with the mounted snows?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Thanks to both

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

plester1 posted:

Speaking of stickshifts, I just bought a manual 2005 Outback XT with some ugly rims, an illegal tint, and 180k miles on the odometer. This is my first Subaru, where do I pick up my vape and flannel?

Vape comes in the center console, flannels are produced by the cargo cover spool thingie somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Any ideas on a 2021 wrx with 15k mi on it thats having occasional hard starts?

Like once every 2-3 weeks itll crank for 4 seconds , not start, release key, wait 2 sec, crank 3 seconds and it starts.

It sounds like no fuel or no spark while cranking.

It has always started the second crank.

Wtf??