Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Nice XTs. I would not mind driving one of those at all. Shame about the white one though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

BigShroom posted:

Greetings to you Subaru goons from a possible future owner. I'm looking for an 05-06 Legacy GT and would like to get input on this one for sale on craigslist. Mainly the engine and suspension stuff, I'm fairly certain I know what AI thinks of aftermarket HID kits.

I should probably just keep looking for an unmolested GT but if these upgrades are smart maybe I could save some money in the long run. I planned on doing some light mods to the car anyway.

Funny, I know the guy that used to own that car. He traded it to the current owner for an STi. I don't think it's as "half-assed" as nm says it is, but he's right about the price being too high.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Sabotaged posted:

The regular iPhone headset jack does this fadeout/resume for calls as well.

For my LGT, I did the Jazzy aux in mod and am pretty happy with it. I've found though that line out (aka plug the iPhone into the dock it came with, and use the line out on that) sounds much better than the headset jack. However the stock iPhone dock is pretty lovely for a car.

What I've noticed is that there's a little indent in the lid of the center cubby for a cord, and the cover for the cup holders is a perfect resting place to put an iPod/iPhone. I just need to find a decent USB <-> audio cord now, so I can plug it into the bottom of my iPhone. Then everything will be dandy, and very stealth.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for, you can get a cable that plugs into the line out of your iPod/iPhone that has RCA jacks out. Then you don't have to use the dock in your car. I think that might be what you mentioned at the end of your post, but you said USB to audio, so I'm not sure.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106147
Techs at this guy's dealership thrash his car. But he had a running inboard camera setup, and caught everything.

lovely to actually see it happening, but that's pretty much what I expect techs to do with my car whenever I take it in (although I think I've only taken my LGT into a shop once so far.)

Sure would have been nice to have that camera set up on a few traffic stops I've been involved in.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Amandyke posted:

If there was no signal from the onboard computer that would mean that your ECU was dead. But if your car works, obviously it's not. More than likely this guy just didn't have the key in the ON position when he was trying to read from the OBD2 port. So he's an idiot. Not your problem.

He could also have a pushed pin on the diagnostic port. Or an open somewhere between the ECU and the diagnostic port.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

DaNzA posted:

Anyone know the story behind this logo?

It's the Legacy emblem in Japan. I've read a lot of explanations on the meaning of it, but nothing from Subaru officially.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

MMD3 posted:

I guess I was just concerned that I'd be paying a tuning premium hourly rate for something relatively trivial... I've also had Rallitek highly recommended but same deal, didn't want to pay an extra $100+ premium for the basic stuff.

I'd pass on Rallitek for any service related stuff. I know a few Legacy guys that have had issues with them, including one who blew their engine as a result of a tune they did.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

MMD3 posted:

I'm down... mayhaps we could even get dphi to bring his legacy 2.5gt ltd out.

For sure, I'm off on Fridays and Saturdays but don't work until 4pm on Sundays so whatever's clever. Surgeline is doing a free drag day at Woodburn this Saturday, not sure if I'm going to make it or not yet.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

allonblack posted:

Dick Hannah meetup and Cobb meetup this weekend for you Portland-ish folks. Who's going?

poo poo, I'm going to be in Eugene this weekend.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

FormulaXFD posted:

For this guy's Legacy, is there the same kind of benefit on his car as there is on an STi by going 3" DP & Exhaust?

He'd probably have to gut it first to get any power gains, not sure how much of a difference it'd make though myself. What he really needs is your uppipe.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

c355n4 posted:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042948

:psyduck:

This is why I hate what Subaru has become in recent years. Subaru was a completely different world back in 2001. I don't go to any meets and don't plan on it. Who the heck buys a $25k car and buys suspension that costs $400.

Sorry for the rant; but, I hate the Subaru crowd sometimes and it hurts me.

There are idiots in pretty much every car community. Just be glad that most of the people (from reading the first couple of pages, anyway) realize what a bad idea $400 coilovers are.

Although I do admit this is pretty bad..

quote:

wow this great. I was looking into getting raceland coilovers for my e36 325is few months back, then just had a MK3 jetta, samething raceland coilovers for 288 shippied. Now for wrx DAM! lol Event ho it says for gen 2, this will work on my GC8?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

literally just posted:

What's a reasonable price to install 4 springs and a set of rear bumpstops (in Maryland, if it matters) I don't trust being under a car unless it's a lift and...I don't have access to a lift so I need a shop to install them. Was quoted at one place for $280, which seemed high.

You don't have to get under the car to swap out the springs or bumpstops. I'd recommend posting on a regional forum to see if anyone can lend a hand if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. It's really not that hard of a job.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

slidebite posted:

Can I join the family? :ohdear:

Only if that Legacy is a GT :cool:

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I've been running E85 again recently since the price doesn't jump quite as quickly as gas, so I still save a few cents per mile despite the 3-4 mpg decrease. Filling up more often sucks (especially with very few stations nearby that have it), but the extra 30ft-lbs of torque sure is nice.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Amandyke posted:

Only 30?

Yeah, pretty standard gain for stock injectors and fuel pump, which I'll be upgrading in the very near future.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Slow is Fast posted:

You'll break some of them. Get a box of replacements. I have no idea what the gently caress they're called, but I had some heavy duty ones I put in after I ripped my liner off and twisted my fender.

People usually call them "pop-its" but they're technically nylon rivets. Search around and you can find replacements. Get a door panel tool and you shouldn't break any though.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Got my Legacy dyno tuned again by PDXTuning (who I highly recommend for OR/WA people) after adding a new fuel pump, 850cc injectors and an FMIC. Prior to this the car was :airquote:stage 2:airquote:.

291/376 on E85, 239/307 on pump

Very happy with the gains, my pump numbers are pretty much where my E85 numbers were before the new upgrades and the E85 numbers now definitely exceeded my expectations. Boost was kept on the low side for the pump tune since that'll be my conservative, fuel-saving mode - so there's probably some power left on the table there. This should keep me happy until my stock turbo goes out (at 55k now.)

Sterndotstern posted:

looking at selling our '05 Legacy GT Limited Wagon

Sent you a PM.

dphi fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 7, 2011

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Sterndotstern posted:

Well, it's gone. Farewell sweet wagon, we hardly knew ye.

Knew you'd find a buyer quick. I kept bugging my co-worker about it but I guess he had just given his wife a big speech about buying unnecessary things.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Airbone Operation posted:

now is that like a dynotune or is it like an Access Port which is from my understanding a premade tune not unique to the vehicle?

The Access Port just allows you to change maps. You can have your car dyno tuned or you can get an off the shelf map based loosely on your setup. Or you can go the open source route if you don't mind using a laptop to load up maps.

For a downpipe, you could get dyno tuned if want to spend the money. Or you can take a chance and download one. If you're feeling adventurous, you could do some reading and try tuning it yourself.

Cozmosis posted:

Gonna go look at an '05 Legacy GT fairly soon, maybe this weekend. About 85k miles Anything I should be aware of? Are head gaskets still an issue on this 2.5? I have an 01 RS, and I'm looking to upgrade in speed and comfort. Listed at 11,900, but hopefully I can get that down.

Head gaskets aren't an issue. Receipts of regular oil changes would give some peace of mind that the turbo might last a bit longer.

dphi fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 22, 2011

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

BoostCreep posted:

My plan with the Forester/WRX would be to slowly upgrade it with parts scoured from people pawning their stock STi parts until I had something that resembled the performance of an STi. To me it's almost more fun that way, but if I can find an STi for a similar price point, I would go with that instead unless it's a super bad idea.

Legacy GTs can also be had for that price range with much lower mileage and a better chance of not being abused if you buy one from someone over 30.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

kylej posted:

If you can find a turbo Foz locally for cheap

See, that's the problem right there. I don't think he was looking especially for the STi package - just finding an XT with a manual is very tough. And when you do find one, the owner often isn't willing to budge on the price.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Car and Driver wrote up the BRZ in this month's issue, here's a scan-

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c03b9f041be5c89ed6a1ef78d13708cf&t=2070

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

jamal posted:

interesting on the mixed plug. JR knows his poo poo for sure.

and yeah making +400lb-ft on the stock turbo is nuts. go e85. it's fantastic for track cars if readily available.

Too bad it's nowhere near as cheap as it used to be nowadays with the loss of ethanol subsidies. Not that I'm for the subsidies, but it was fun having a power increase like that for the same mile-per-$ as gas.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Yeah, I really hope you paint them black at some point. I always hated the red Hellas as they remind me of those old, lovely Sony Xplod speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

That's tiny! Surely the tires would get worn unevenly by more than that in daily driving? That's funny hosed. My tires are approx 3 mm apart which is double that but the size of them new are identical.

Yeah, I always wondered about that too. I saw a test online once where a guy measured the diameter of the tire while letting out air and found something like -2psi dropped it ~1/32". With all the people out there that don't pay attention to their tire pressure, you'd expect to see a lot more exploding diffs (assuming the test was accurate).