Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
I have the most cliché Subaru ever, a 2005 WRX Sedan with 5-speed in World Rally Pearl.

I haven't done any mods, as I've previously owned two heavily modified cars and I'm keeping this one stock for a change.

Behind it are my Mother's 2007 Forester Sports XT and my Father's 2006 Baja. After I bought the WRX my family realized that owning 80's GMs was kind of lame and they upgraded to reliable cars that were easy and logical to repair.

Alzabo fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 3, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

Colawa posted:

Is there any reason I can't for the life of me find any WRXs for sale on craigslist made before 2002?

2002 was the first model year for the WRX trim level of the Impreza in the United States.

The previous chassis Impreza (sold 1993-2001) had a performance trim level known as the 2.5RS that was sold from 1998-2001 in the United States.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

If I could snag a STi for 27k, I'd be all over that.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

My WRX wears a set of RE960as tires and so does my gf's 2.5rs.

All the praise that is heaped upon them is deserved.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

Rear Brakes on my '05 WRX worn down to the wear indicator, and my trusted repair shop says they're warped and need to be resurfaced. The cost for the resurfacing is pretty absurd when you look at new rear brake rotors.

I'd like to replace my Subaru rotors w/ DBA; and my Subaru pads with Hawk HPS. Anyone have good/bad experience w/ DBA or Hawk, or alternate suggestions within the same price range?

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

Last month my mother's World Rally Blue 2007 Forester XT Sports was destroyed by a Dominoes dude in an Altima.

We used to have a Seattle Area Subaru Dealer on the forums, is he still around? I need to replace this with a World Rally Blue WRX Wagon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

Popped the radiator on my '05 WRX at some point during my daily commute.

Who's making good replacements these days? If I want to ditch the plastic end-tanks who makes a good "performance" radiator, Mishimoto?

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

I feel like such a fool, why didn't I order a 2014 WRX?

(butt-hurt feelings go here)

Oh well, I'll drive my '05 into the ground and see what the next WRX looks like in 4-5 years.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

MetalClawWolf posted:

I agree, the Camry isn't anything like a WRX in performance. Then again, this isn't the first time you can buy an auto WRX either. So they must see some sort of sales benefit to it.

They aren't doing it for enthusiasts. So it's obviously to take sales from a similar car, and the Camry is the only one that comes to mind. What other import 4 door midsize car in the $28k price range fits that bill?

Not to drag out this conversation any more, but doesn't adding a autobox to the WRX (and the assumed 4~10% price increase we'll see with this new chassis) put it in competition with the "cheap" A4?

FWIW, I dunno how many people would cross shop the A4 and the WRX and pick the A4 because of it's harry potter transmission.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

Need new pads & rotors for an 05 wrx. Is subarugenuineparts.com still a good place to buy parts?

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

Any benefit to the more expensive centric rotors? I'm not doing any track days, just daily driving and I need the ability to stop well when cold.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

General maintenance question for a 2005 WRX 103k miles, planning on keeping it for a while.

Going to change the timing belt, is it wise to also change the water pump and tensioner/idlers at the same time?

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

Gas smell in the cabin of a 2005 WRX when pulling away from a stop. Internet crystal ball says I need to tighten the screws on the fuel line fittings?

What say you o wise SA Subaru thread?

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

Chiwie posted:

I've found that post 09 drivers never wave and are therefore bastards.

This is not a problem in Seattle. All turbo-nutter-bastards give the wave. I tossed out the deuce at a Galant VR4 in traffic last week. :colbert:

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

Bajaha posted:

I think finding an unmoded WRX is near impossible nowadays.

I've got an Blue '05 WRX sedan w/ a 5speed and no mods that I've owned since 2006. 108k on the clock, full service records and I did the t-belt, idlers, waterpump and cam seals at 103k.

I wonder if I could get more than 10k for it in Seattle? But at this point, WRXs that have not been hosed with are so rare I'm inclined to not change anything.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

Welp, my 2005 WRX I've owned since 2008 got stolen Thursday Night, chances of it not being a write-off or ever seeing it again are pretty low in Seattle.

Am not a big fan of the 2022 looks and I can't order a 2021 anymore. FML.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

Rolo posted:

You can’t order one but I called every major dealer in my state and had options for 21’s. Only extremely hard part was finding a limited, had to upgrade to an STI to make that happen.

Good suggestion! Unfortunately, I'm SOL as what I need pretty much the same as what was stolen: manual transmission, WRB paint, no extras options. There are some examples in my area that optioned up and the wrong color.

I called SOA and the CSR said orders for the 2022MY are going to open after new years, and that if I am able to lock in a VIN early on I should be able to take delivery of a 2022 by late April, early May.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

Checked every Subaru dealer in Washington state, no dice.

There are two in Oregon that are WRB+Manual, but are limited trim with moonroof and $5k+ market adjustment. Thanks for the suggestion Rolo, it was worth a shot.

Edit: found another WRB, in Idaho. But it's Limited Trim with a CVT. :oh:

Alzabo fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm so sorry to hear that, I love that second gen body style.

Is it possibly a niche enough car that it might be able to be found?

Me too, I think the GD chassis' Peter Stevens facelift was pretty decent.

It's hard to throw a rock without hitting a WRB GD chassis in Seattle, a lot of the stolen cars around here have their plates changed almost instantly. So even if your car is identified as abandoned, the police might take a while to check it out and run the VIN. Also the local police are intentionally inept.