Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Johnny Eskimo posted:

Ive always been intrigued by the Subaru XTs. Can someone give me the low down on these funky wedges?

Don't they eat transmissions like popcorn, or is that just the SVX?

We had a rental '08 Legacy on a trip last month...even for a base-model 170hp sedan with an autotragic, it was actually a very nice car. Enough so to make me seriously consider a Subaru in the future, especially the Legacy and its derivatives for when certain family members decide they need a new car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

A rental 05 Legacy when my car was in the body shop also got me thinking legacy.
They're even better with a manual and a turbo

I believe it. The only reason I haven't said "for myself" in there is the price on a new one, and the abuse on a used one. I could afford a new WRX, but I'd have to convince the wife and she'd much rather have a Mini Cooper; and while I could swing a used WRX or Legacy GT without her approval, I know they get raped hard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamnit. This thread + my increasing hatred for my Volvo is making me really, really want to do some stupid financial things to get a bug-eye WRX.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ssjonizuka posted:

Why the hatred on the volvo?

Because I'm driving a beater worthy of a junior in high school with busted A/C, no power accessories, and that fails emissions with a whopping 114hp four-cylinder. Let's not forget that the trunk springs are trashed, the interior is sparse and full of broken plastic, and the driver's side rear door is jammed shut.

It runs and drives, and that's about it. Obviously I shouldn't, and don't, expect much more than that out of a car that cost me $1300 a few years and ~25,000 miles ago, but it doesn't mean I can't get tired of it :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MMD3 posted:

does anybody have a battery recommendation or should I just buy whatever they have at Costco?

Buy whatever you can get for cheapest with the best warranty - there are only a handful of actual battery manufacturers, so you're just paying for different colors and labels on the package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Subaru folk, enlighten me - anything else to make sure gets done on a 2008 (or 09, I can never remember) WRX for a timing belt service? Off the top of my head I've got all pulleys / tensioners / whatever, water pump, and cam/crank seals. Finally put my brother-in-law's car on ramps to discover that the steering rack is pissing fluid out of the steering input shaft seal, and after crawling around under there I think I'd rather chop off a toe than do the rack. It's also coming up on (or maybe already past?) 100k miles and doesn't have any records of a prior timing belt job.

He's supposed to be calling around a few shops to get quotes but I want to make sure he's not going to get a halfass job done and have to go back in again so that I don't have to hear the endless bitching from my wife's sister.