Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Mr. Powers posted:

I am pretty sure Subaru of New England and Ernie Boch Jr. saw my order for a base model 2009 WRX almost two months ago and bumped it to the bottom of the pile and kept it there for a few weeks. I just heard from my car salesman today that it is still probably a couple weeks away.

I got my 09 WRX earlier in October and Subaru of Wakefield had a few left in the lot after mine. Is yours a special color or something?

This will be my first winter with a non-boat car; I used to drive a 93 Cadillac DeVille sedan. I've yet to purchase snow tires, but Im gonna get on that tomorrow or Wednesday. A few of my college friends both had Blizzaks (one had an 03 STI and the other had a Saabaru, forget what year). I checked online and they're quite expensive, I was hoping to not spend a fortune. Any recommendations? Im in Somerville MA if that helps. The snowfall isn't super insane, but it snows enough.

e: D'oh, missed the part about Ernie and the Automatics. Different dealerships = different stocks Im assuming.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 24, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

Special color = 5-door DGM and a base model. The only 2009's I had seen come in at that point were premiums. There are no 2009's inventories in MA or NH right now.

My reading comprehension is bad today - I got the premium, I guess the other ones were premiums too. Well, I can tell you the wait is worth it! It's a great car!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

I'm about to hit 1k in my STI... Subaru doesn't require an oil change, but I've always heard it's best after an engine break in.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I went in for one at 1k on my WRX. The dealer told me to do it because "the oil they put in at the factory is thin." I don't know if I believe him, but Im determined to do all of the recommended maintenance on this car from the start, and really, it couldn't hurt.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

TeMpLaR posted:

A snowplow took out my mirror. It's getting fixed today, but I am out of a car for a few days minimum.

That sucks man. This happened to my old car, so now I always fold in the roadside mirror. I was real psyched that my wrx had that tiny little feature, as my old car didn't.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Sabotaged posted:

The setup goes: Jazzy aux in -> underneath center / shifter area -> up through the cigarette lighter power plug thing (which I just took out) -> iPhone dock line out -> iPhone dock extension cable -> iPhone.

Is that power plug easy to remove? I can't imagine ever using it and I'd like a little more space in there. The cable notch does rule.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Sabotaged posted:

GravityDaemon: If I recall, it's one with the entire plastic cubby itself, so I don't think you can take it out to make more room.

Ah ok, so you just took the plug itself out. I thought you meant the whole little enclosure. That's a shame. I'll now have to make use of it to avoid getting pissed off about it. Thanks anyway!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I hate to turn this in to the "my subaru got hosed" thread, but I hit the infamous engine knock problem on my 09 WRX this morning. As I pulled in to the parking lot where I work the car started making this exact noise...

http://wrx265.com/2008/12/13/is-the-car-engine-toast/

This guy had to get his whole engine replaced, I imagine mine will have to be replaced too. I got it flatbedded to the dealership right after it started, but they wont be able to tell me anything until tomorrow. I broke in the engine properly and I've been following the scheduled maintenance religiously; I had just gotten over 6000 miles on it this weekend.

Any idea what a warranty claim of this magnitude will do to the resale value of the car?

This sucks :(

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Yeah I've calmed down significantly since it happened, and hopefully the dealer will also be cool about it. I have all of my paperwork and the car is totally stock, down to the tires I just switched back to (yesterday!). It's gonna be lame driving my girlfriend's slushbox Camry for a bit, but like you said, new engine :)

I guess this is more of a general question, but does anybody know if you get your odometer reset for something like this? I dug around NASIOC but I couldn't find anything there.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

ab0z posted:

No. The odometer is never reset. Even if you get a new odometer, the odometer is not adjusted. What usually happens there is a plate/label is affixed to the car detailing the mileage of the car when the odometer was replaced. The best you can do if you're looking to document it is note it in the service records - if possible get a printout of the official subaru history showing the service.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I thought it would be a little weird to roll back the odometer as the rest of the car still has that mileage on it. I'll definitely be requesting all the stupid paperwork I can get when I pick it up.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

nm posted:

They should probably give you a loaner.

I agree! Once I find out what they think and how long they think it'll take I'll ask them about it. Can't imagine it'll be much fun to drive but at least I wont have to inconvenience anyone by taking their car.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Got an update from my dealership - the engine will have to be replaced, and they've ordered a long block (Im not sure what they meant by that, anyone care to elaborate?) and it should be put in by next week. I'll be picking up a loaner tomorrow night for my troubles. When I actually talk to them face to face I'd like to get a real run down of what actually happened.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

ab0z posted:

"Longblock" means the block, rotating assembly, and heads. They will move all your accessories (alternator, AC, PS, etc) over to the new engine.

Ah, thank you. I love to drive but I know nothing about how this poo poo works.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Got my WRX back from the dealership today after getting the infamous knock problem; feels a little lighter than before, but that just may be because I've been driving a Forester this past week. The mechanic who did the work was straight up with me about there being a problem with these engines, and he even said he would call tomorrow with what he hears from Subaru HQ with regards to this happening to the replacement one.

Here's to a(nother) long 1000 mile break in and hopefully a long life after that!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

MMD3 posted:

One small (potentially stupid) question that has been nagging me about my '05 9-2x. When I lock/arm it sometimes it will honk and sometimes it will beep. I have no idea why it does which or what they mean, I assume they both mean it's armed but I can't determine any rhyme or reason to why sometimes the alarm beeps and other times I get a honk.

Anybody? I'm assuming it's the same alarm as on the WRX's but not certain.

You sure you're not tapping it more than once? On my WRX, the alarm arms (and it honks) if I hit the button three times in succession. If I hit it just once, it just beeps and locks.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

MMD3 posted:

ahhh, do you have to hit it 3x for the alarm?

No, it arms automatically evenutally. I think hitting it three times will arm it immediately though. Im not entirely sure about this; the alarm section in the manual was a bit confusing.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

One of the fun things about older Legacy's is that they stuck out in a crowd of regular sedans. This new one looks more generic :(

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Pittsburgh, you can't walk 5 feet in a parking lot without tripping over a Subaru of some kind. It's really the perfect car for this region. lovely roads, hills, twisty roads, and weather all over the place. It can be 70 one day and have a dusting of snow on the ground less than 48 hours later during the fall or the spring.

This is what it's like in Boston too. I see a ton of Subarus here, every model.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

bung posted:

The dealer just called and told me that they have a new long block on the way for my WRX. Hopefully I will have the car back by the end of next week.

Make sure you have the tech look at your turbo too. Mine was full of little particles when they looked at it and that had to be replaced as well. Hopefully this is all done quickly for you - I know how much it sucks to be driving something else for a week!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

c355n4 posted:

I think I broke my car :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO7bga5Ku8c

I just got back from a NASA/PDA Event at Pocono. 3/4 of the way thru the event, the engine developed a weird clack clack clack sound from the engine bay. There is no discernible loss in power or engine lights. The car is not in limp mode. I changed the oil when I got home as I normally do after an event. Hoping that this would make the noise go away. It did seem to be about 1.5qts low. No metal shards or anything out of the ordinary in the old oil. Smelled fine.

The sound manifests itself as you go up in RPM. There is no sound at idle and it gets worse as you get closer to 3k RPM. I'll be bringing it in of course; but, this sucks.

Yeah, this is the exact sound my engine I had to get it replaced. I guess it's not uniqe to the 09 WRX :v:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I've been having a little problem with my totally stock 09 WRX lately, that at first seemed cosmetic, but now Im worried may be electrical. I have some background info first.

About a week ago I hit a pothole going about 10 miles an hour. I only hit the right side of the car and it drove fine afterwards, I didn't notice any difference. The next day I noticed a quiet crackling noise coming from somewhere on the front drivers side of the passenger cabin when I went in excess of about 30 miles an hour. It sounds a little bit like a speaker would if the wires weren't connected properly. I thought it might have actually been the speakers, but I turned the radio off and it's still there, but again, only at certain speeds. Yesterday I got my snow tires put on and the mechanic showed me that my right rear brake isn't working properly; the wear on the disc itself isn't even. Im getting that looked at and hopefully fixed this week.

My actual question is twofold - One, is it possible that the brake thing and the noise are related, and two, if they aren't related, what the hell is that noise? I posted this on NASIOC, but I trust you guys more. Thanks in advance.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

GravityDaemon posted:

I've been having a little problem with my totally stock 09 WRX lately, that at first seemed cosmetic, but now Im worried may be electrical. I have some background info first.

So I popped my hood and cleaned out all the leaves and other autumn detritus out of the engine bay. Surprise, there was a loving nut of some sort rattling around caught next to one of the wipers and the side of the bay. D'oh :ughh:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

ab0z posted:

I would take it in to the dealer, describe the problem and show them the mystery nut, and drive away in a loaner while they fix your issues under warranty.

A nut like an acorn, not an actual piece of mechanical equipment. The sound was that stupid thing banging around.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

ab0z posted:

Oh haha I see now. If you still have that other noise and it's not just normal wind noise you just noticed, take it in for that.
Talk to the neighborhood squirrels about the acorn, they're probably wondering where it went.

The noises all disappeared, it's been nice driving and not constantly being worried about it :)

The cabin air filter in the 09 is a snap to replace, it's also behind the glove box. My buddy's 05 was easy too; I imagine they haven't changed it that much through the years.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 10, 2009

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

This probably gets asked every year around this time, but can somebody recommend me some mud flaps for my 09 WRX? Price isn't really a concern if they're well made.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Tremblay posted:

I bought the cheaper rally armor flaps, They seem pretty sturdy. The UR ones are pretty popular, but they cost a kidney (for what they are).

warwick5s posted:

RallyArmor

edit: beaten

That was fast, thanks!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I've got a question about the rear 02 sensor in my WRX if anyone can help. I recently added an intake and a catted downpipe to my 09 WRX and got it tuned. Shortly after that I threw check engine light and it turned out to be a P0420 code, which is the rear 02 sensor telling you that your cat is running at suboptimal efficiency. Turns out this is very common with a non stock downpipe, and my tuner recommended that I get an "anti fouler" installed to put the rear 02 sensor in so that it's tricked in to not throwing this code. It's just an extra piece of metal to put the 02 sensor farther from the exhaust flow than it is normally. The other option is to block that code in the tune so it doesn't show up, but my tuner said that if you do that you're liable to fail inspection, so I agreed to get the "mechanical" fix as it were.

That was put in and everything ran fine for a few hundred miles and now Im throwing a P2096 code, which is "Post Catalytic Fuel Trim Bank 1 System Too Lean". I called my tuner and he said that it sounds like the front 02 sensor may be failing and that he'll check it out. I did a bit of research after I called him and it looks like the rear 02 sensor on the 05+ WRX's and STi's might actually do something more than just monitor the cat, it actually feeds back to the ECU and contributes to how the fuel trims are calculated. There's a thread on NASIOC where a guy explicitly states that using the "fix" I have for the sensor is a bad idea for newer models as it causes the problem Im currently having. Does anyone know if that's really the case?

If having the sensor moved is really causing the problem, I'm going to ask the tuner to put it back where it should be and just disable the code, as it sounds like I could be setting myself up for a big mechanical failure. Anyone else had this done before? Is there a better fix than just disabling the code? Should I go to a different tuner?

e: Hopefully it is just the front sensor, but I've only got ~55k miles on it, so unless I or my tuner knocked something loose or otherwise damaged it I feel like it isn't going to be that.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 2, 2013

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Well I don't think an inspection would actively be looking for disabled codes; I was under the impression that something may read as not ready if you disable certain codes.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Yeah I live in Massachusetts, they plug in an OBDII reader and pull a bunch of stuff out of your ECU.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

CharlesM posted:

There are systems that return readiness status, and if not all systems are ready the car may not be accepted for a smog check.

Amandyke posted:

Readyness is easily set to READY or driven to a ready state normally. Turning off codes does not affect that (to my knowledge).

Thanks everyone; I'm gonna have him put the rear sensor back where it was and disable the code.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I have RA mudflaps on my 09 and I didn't bother to remove the rear wheels...it was an enormous pain in the rear end. Definitely remove the wheels.

I have an angled screwdriver that did wonders for that part of it, but drilling the holes was nightmarish.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

An update on my CEL's if anyone's curious: I had the tuner disable the P0420 code and remove the rear 02 spacer. My fuel economy has improved by almost 3 mpg and I'm not longer getting the P2096 and P0137's I was getting before. This of course makes sense as the two codes I just mentioned are essentially the rear 02 sensor not getting enough/incorrect data from not being as close to the exhaust stream as it should be. The MPG issue makes me certain that there is feedback between the rear 02 and the ECU other than just telling it about cat efficiency. This wasn't the case in older model WRX's, I know, but it's definitely the case now! Hopefully I can pass inspection with just the one code disabled, I have 9 months to worry about it, heh.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

G-Mach posted:

You better believe it. I see idiots all the time throwing on random parts and proceed to not get it tuned for the new parts and then a month later blow it up. In my opinion the 05-06 STi's are the ones to buy. The 07s seem have engine issues and the 04s have the less desirable lug pattern. Jamal's advice is spot on.
Also the oil pickup is a known weak point and is known to break.

Im gonna second this; you see a lot of stories on NASIOC (I know, I know) where idiots just slap on an aftermarket intake and don't even bother with an off the shelf tune, let alone a proper one. 2 months later, bam, new engine.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Mercury Ballistic posted:

The other day I took the passenger side skirt off my 09 WRX wagon to find where the water was collecting after a rain. I either broke or lost two of the plastic plugs and put some waterproof tape over the gaps.
I also noticed a small rubber plug on the underside of the car a few inches behind the front wheel well. There was a bit of water forming to drop at the spot so I pulled it out and a small amount of water came out. The paint was absent around the skirt of the plug, as it the body was painted with it inserted.
I replaced the plug and after the rain last night the water was back. It was still there after sitting out of the rain all day so I removed the same plug and a maybe half a liter drained out. It seems the water gets in through the holes in the body made to receive the plastic plugs, but only on the passenger side. Not sure what is different about that side though. This seems like a good way to create all sorts of nasty rust, but I don't see any other simple way.
For what's it's worth, the plastic liners in the wheel wells seem to somehow suck up leaves and hold them till they rot as a live worm fell out while I was working the skirt issue.

This water issue also happens to me but on the drivers side. It only lasts for one or two drives though, and only right after it rains. I also noticed the ridiculous amount of leaves/dirt/sticks/cigarette butts that are in the liners as well. When I first looked at it I thought a mouse had made a nest in there, but it was on both sides and that just seemed unlikely.

I feel like the water gets in through whatever hole is near the lining because it only started after I cleaned them out to put in a set of mudflaps.

e: I've got an 09 WRX too, I wonder if this happens to other model years.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I have an 09 and I always wave back :(

I do get a wave from a guy in a blue 350Z that has the opposite commute as me almost every day though :)

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Does anyone know where to source fog light "lenses" for my 2011 STi? They both cracked; I'm think as a result from being hot on the bulb side and snowpacked on the outside. They work fine though.

Any warranty chance? Clearly no rock impacts.

One of mine was clearly shattered by a rock and the other was just cracked and I couldn't claim warranty on either. I think your SOL, which sucks because they're an expensive part.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

bawfuls posted:

So if I don't give a poo poo about the widebody, is there any reason to avoid the '09 other than mileage? And if not, how many miles is too many?

The 09 had a vin range in which there was probably going to be a catastrophic engine failure between 0 and 20000 miles. If you get an 09, make sure to check the car fax or records of the owner for a short block replacement during that time. I'm not sure if the range is available because Subaru just quietly replaced everyone's short blocks under warranty.

Other than that I love my 09; never had another problem with it that I didn't cause.

E: mines my daily driver and I've got almost 60k on it. Only had to replace a tpms sensor and a drive belt from normal wear and tear.

E2:

blargle posted:

2011 on are the years to get, or 2010 if you don't mind the narrow body/wheels and softer subframe. I'd personally avoid 2009 as they've probably had the engine replaced by an incompetent dealership.

Yeah this is what I'm talking about.

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 19, 2013

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

You'll get improved fuel economy with the stage 1 flash, funnily enough.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Yakattak posted:

Don't bank on it being a huge difference to be honest. Yes, it may have bumped me up 1 MPG, really the best plan is to upgrade to a 20G turbo, and never hit boost ever. I did see a difference in the economy tune though.

Well yeah, I didn't say it was significant. I got between 1 and 2 depending on the way I was driving.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Shrapnac posted:

Why did I wait a year and a half to get an accessport? That thing is awesome. I've already started considering at least doing the intake if not the full stage 2 mods. Any recommendations on exhaust for an '11 sedan? Cobb doesn't have an exhaust system for the sedans, just a downpipe.

Start with the down pipe first, you'll be surprised how much juice you get out of that. If you get a new intake as well remember that you'll have to either get it retuned or hope that the Cobb off the shelf stage 2 map works for you.

You're in the NY/NJ area right? You're relatively near to some excellent tuners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Looks like an Evo from the side, I don't like it :colbert:

That said if its fast and awesome, who cares?