Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

nm posted:

LGTs don't get abused so much.
My wagon still had most life left on orginal RE92s after 36k when I picked it up ;)
It also still had indentations from the baby seats :)

Atlantic Blue Pearl, wagon, and a face not just a mother could love ;)

Goddamn those are such terrible tires, do your wagon a favor and get some RE050A Pole Positions.

Also, you're not allowed to post photos of your car anymore, it makes me cry :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mastria Subaru is the poo poo, the service guys and mechanics are awesome.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

8ender posted:

Heres a quick question from a newer Subaru owner.

I've recently bought a 2002 2.5 NA Impreza Wagon and I love the drat thing to death. Upon getting it I changed out the diff fluids, drained and filled the transmission, replaced the air filter and changed the oil. Then I took it out and got as much mud as possible on it.

My question is how the engine acts. My 2.5NA seems to be a little sluggish between 0-2500rpm. After around 2500rpm it takes off. Sometimes it seems almost like it just doesn't rev very quickly, even in neutral.

This is of course completely different to my old 2.0L Mazda which would zip zip zip up to 6500rpm very quickly.

Is this just how the boxer engine behaves or is there some sort of maintenance I should be looking at? Right now the engine layout is making me :psyduck: every time I look at it so I'm not exactly sure where to start.

Don't worry about it, that's just how the NA 2.5 boxer motor is. My Forester is the exact same way.

The engine layout may look weird, but they're not very hard to work on :)

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

cmorrow001 posted:

Modding Question: I know I have asked before but I can't find the thread.

I have an 05 WRX with a Borla hush cat-back and a Cobb accessport. I'm looking for what to do next that is cheap and will offer the most gains. I was thinking I would do up and down pipes (and a remap to stage 2). Is that the best bang for the buck? I'll basically be looking for cheap/used parts. What should I expect for install time(paying someone else to do it)?

Do up and downpipes, and get a larger intercooler (grab a used STI one on the cheap they're all over), and get it dyno tuned and you will be a happy camper once again.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

burtonos posted:

Holy loving funhog!

As for the modding, I would swear I get better gas mileage with the Cobb plumbing and Cobb flash. Honestly, I can't see why Subaru doesn't just sell (a version of) the car this way. The car has gone from capable to positively willful. It just wants to be flung at everything.

I would like to get to a dyno, but I think it would have to be a day trip to get to an awd unit.

So you finally modded that car, let me guess the warranty ran out?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

burtonos posted:

Nah, i just wanted to wake it up a little.

I took it to the dealer for an oil change and a service, nobody said anything about it. Now the 08 with the brand new motor put in, that was a different story. Honestly, how do you blow up a Subaru motor in 3 months?

Easily, you have no idea what you're doing and immediately throw a turboback exhaust and a wicked sweet BOV (vented 100% atmosphere), then go and do a bunch of 7500rpm AWD clutch dumps at every single stoplight. I've seen so many shithead ricers doing this poo poo.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

I just bought the most stock WRX ever. It's an 2002 Bugeye Wagon, silver, 5MT, bone stock, 65,000 original miles. The guy I'm buying it off of is the 56 year old original owner with all records and maint history :hellyeah:

Sooo, now I need a good up/downpipe for the 2.0, and a Cobb adjustable short shifter.

Anyone want to buy a well maintained 99 Forester??

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

Jack: Hi, Lloyd! Been away, but now I'm back.
Lloyd: Welcome back, Mr. Torrence. It's good to see you.
Jack: It's good to be back, Lloyd!

It's good to be back in turbo Subbie land.

Also, I love The Shining, nice touch.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

We should have a New England Subie/AI meet.

edit: and by this, I mean an AI meet, with some cool people I know from NESIC.

I'm down. I know a shitton of Subaru people in MA I could probably convince to go.

Edit: Didn't you just get an new 09?? Demanding photos.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 7, 2008

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mat_Drinks posted:

Yay! I just got notice that the rear koni inserts for my LGT shipped today! (I've had the fronts for a few weeks now) I may have to start the install this weekend...

On another note, I saw a video recently on the difference between bellmouth downpipes and divorced wastegate downpipes and it wasn't really clear on when the divorced being better matters as far as power numbers... Is it always better or does it not matter until you're seeing big numbers?

Divorced is supposed to help with turbulence problems, but in the long run I believe the bellmouth design is more desirable. I've been told if you have any plans of going with a larger turbo in the future, go with a bellmouth downpipe, as it will flow better and the divorced ones usually won't fit a lot of popular aftermarket turbochargers.

Edit: Double post retardedness.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Ordered from Village Subaru. The only pictures I can give you are of the official order they faxed me. It should be here around Thanksgiving as in Thanks for giving me a good deal on my trade in, suckers!

Oh cool, I have a few friends who live in Acton, Carlisle and Concord, and one who purchased a car from Village Subaru, said they were pretty good to deal with.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goddamnit. This thread + my increasing hatred for my Volvo is making me really, really want to do some stupid financial things to get a bug-eye WRX.

I just bought one, you know you want to...ditch the Swedes man, c'mom do eeeeet

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

I'm looking for a steering column mounted 52mm gauge pod, but I can't seem to find them on the part sites I've looked at.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Since my RS is getting traded in, I swapped out my STi short shift kit and Kartboy bushings with a friend's stock linkage (chopped shift lever though :I), and oh my god, the first thing I'm getting when I get my WRX is the shift kit and bushings.

I'll go ahead and say that anyone with a manual Subaru should have this as the first on their To-Do List. Get the Cobb DA shifter and bushings and you'll be set, adjustable height and throws.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Since my RS is getting traded in, I swapped out my STi short shift kit and Kartboy bushings with a friend's stock linkage (chopped shift lever though :I), and oh my god, the first thing I'm getting when I get my WRX is the shift kit and bushings.

I'll go ahead and say that anyone with a manual Subaru should have this as the first on their To-Do List. Get the Cobb DA shifter and bushings and you'll be set, adjustable height and throws.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

jamal posted:

for the column just use the bracket that comes with the gauge.

Otherwise there's a replacement cluster surround that mounts two gauges. I though perrin made it but I can't find them on the site.

I was looking at those, and there is another that replaces the bezel, but I only want a single pod for a boost gauge. I like the stock one, but it's only 45mm, and has that retarded Lamco gauge in some weird moon units instead of psi.

Edit: Dammit how did I do that again. Apparently it's not a good idea to post after you've just woken up.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Captain Crabsticks posted:

one thing that drives me crazy though, is it grinds 2nd almost every time unless i go into it real slow, i hear a lot about synchromesh fluid, would it help that out at all?

Pick up 2 quarts of Motul Gear300 75W90 and 2 quarts Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Drain and refill with a 50/50 mix of the stuff should take just under 4 quarts.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Foresters got the 2.5 as well.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

cmorrow001 posted:

Any suggestions?

Blizzaks are only 50% winter compound, and when that wears down you be running on all-season compound. Better off getting a true dedicated snow compound tire.

Tirerack has a few that will fit an 05 WRX for $75-110/tire, which is probably as cheap as you're going to get unless you grab a no name or store brand at something like Costco or WalMart. The Dunlop

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

MMD3 posted:

an engineer on saab92x.com designed and manufactures these short shifters and seems to garner a lot of praise. I'd love if anybody who has tried them could chime in or anybody who knows what to look for. They're a good $100 or so cheaper than the Cobb and seems to be fully adjustable.

http://www.ixizconcept.com/
frames but go to Control > Shifter ixizShift II

I'm very interested in this shifter as it seems to do everything the Cobb one does for half the price. Now I just need to find some reviews of people who have used it.

Apparently a piece of the metal surround has to be bent or ground down for it to install. And drat this guy makes some nice stuff, I'm going to order the EBC, short shifter and the clutch stop :hellyeah:

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 16, 2008

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

My LGT's transmission was loving butter, Cobb SS, bushings, and Smurfblood/Mutul fluid, smooth perfect shifts :). But yes, reverse was sometimes a PITA to get into, but it's like that pretty much every manual transmission car I've driven, old or new. Next time you can't get it into reverse, try putting it into first (or fourth) then trying reverse.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Picked up the car today, so far I like it a lot. Can't wait to put the shifter and bushings in it, and have a catless up waiting, along with a catless downpipe, STI TMIC,and a new boost control solenoid.

Gonna need to get it tuned soon.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

So, I called the dealership that I ordered the car from earlier to see if there was an updated timeframe. There wasn't. He did say it was in the 5th allotment for them (5th out of 5) and they come in every few weeks, which I would guess means I won't see the car this year in reality. I'll probably call them tomorrow to see if I can get the same price on one that comes into stock. I wouldn't mind so much, because I am starting to waffle a bit on the color. (edit: White versus DGM)

Dude you can't go wrong with either Alpine White or DGM, they are the two best colors.

Edit: Alpine White with gold (BBS?) 17/18s, a slight drop, red taillamp overlays, slight window tint, and a blacked out sports grill. Car would look so awesome.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

8ender posted:

Also the 2.5RS only has the 165hp NA Boxer engine, no turbo. It does however have a limited slip diff and is about 200 lbs lighter than the 02' WRX so it is terribly slow by all means.

Fixed. Seriously, get a turbocharged motor, you won't regret it.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

^^^^ Imagine if everyone in GBS had a WRX and then posted without moderators. It's a worthless shithole - go to scoobymods.com instead.

Scoobymods is awesome. NASIOC is annoying, but the information base is so huge that there is a TON of information available if you use the Search function efficiently. And the marketplace is HUGE, I've bought and sold so many parts on NASIOC.

Also Cat Terrist please get an '06/07 STi in Alpine White with gold BBS rims and take pictures :unsmith:

I have heard of a few stock '07s that have blown motors with bottom end problems, and there is a lot going around about them running insanely lean from the factory under full boost or a lovely factory tune or something.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 29, 2008

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Saw this on Denver Craigslist, the photos kind of suck though so it's hard to tell how good/bad it looks

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/898373444.html

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

TeamIce posted:

So in case any of the Legacy GT guys are interested, Perrin has their top mount intercooler on sale for $499, regularly $899. I just ordered one - I haven't even done uppipe/downpipe yet, but figure it'll be good to have to go with them, as I've heard a lot of horror stories of the stock intercooler blowing its end tanks under added boost. Anyone have any experience with installing these? I've seen a 50/50 mix of horror stories about it not fitting properly vs. it going in fairly easily.

I had the Perrin on my LGT after I kept blowing the end tanks off the stock intercooler running 19psi. It was a pain in the rear end to get everything to fit and lineup correctly, but we eventually got it on and everything bolted up and sealed correctly. Do the up pipe/downpipe at the same time and then get the car tuned, it will be a completely different beast.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

It looks like you've got a little bit of vignetting there.

I'd guess by the amount of vignetting that it was on purpose/Photoshop.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Anyone know how the base Rally Armor mudflaps differ from the UR RA mudflaps in terms of performance?

Echoing this question. I really want a set of good mudflaps, but $130 for a set is kind of steep.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Baby Hitler posted:

A pair of Sparco mudflaps is $20 from SubeSports, they are universal fitment and are actual mudflaps rather than stock Subaru ones which keep grime off the body and nothing else. Rally Armor ones are nice, but the price is a bit steep if you want to just have basic working mudflaps.

I want a set, but only red white or blue? Gahh, why can't they just make a regular black mudflap.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

BigShroom posted:

Greetings to you Subaru goons from a possible future owner. I'm looking for an 05-06 Legacy GT and would like to get input on this one for sale on craigslist. Mainly the engine and suspension stuff, I'm fairly certain I know what AI thinks of aftermarket HID kits.

I should probably just keep looking for an unmolested GT but if these upgrades are smart maybe I could save some money in the long run. I planned on doing some light mods to the car anyway.

Like nm said, car might have been worth $18k a few years ago, but it's more like $15k or less now.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

BannedForLulz posted:

I have a 04MY Impreza WRX 5-Speed that just hit 56,000 miles. As far as I know the PO just did the oil changes. Is there anything that I should be setting aside money for in the forseeable future as far as replacing parts should go?

Plugs at around 60k, change the tranny and diff fluids at that point. Check your wheel bearings and your serp/drive belts and tensioners.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Looking at an 01 Forester this weekend, it has 147k on it and the guy just replaced the timing belt, water pump, and head gasket after said gasket blew. It's a manual - should I worry about the condition of the clutch as well? How well do most manual clutches stand up in Subaru models?

Not to be a creeper, but if you're anywhere near MA I have a very nice 5MT 99 Forester S for sale.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

You can get the "Basic," Rally Armor flaps for like $45 I think as well, and they don't say RALLY on them.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

azflyboy posted:

I'm officially proud of myself, since I managed to silence the noisy window seals on my Forester for a whopping $11.

Yesterday, I was wiping some snow off the inside of the window gusset (the triangular rubber thing at the front of the window) while driving, and discovered that if I pressed on the gusset, the wind noise almost vanished.

When I got home, I rolled down the front windows, and noticed that the gussets were slightly spread apart at the top, probably from people opening and closing the doors by pushing on the windows before I owned the Forester.

Inspired by this, I bought an $11 set of vice grips (somehow I didn't already own a set), and clamped them down pretty firmly on the top part of both gussets for a couple of seconds. When I removed them, the gap for the window was visibly smaller, and the window motor no longer sounded like it was having a load removed on that part of the track.

Today, I was stunned to be able to drive in 35mph winds, without hearing a whistling from the front windows, and the little stream of cold air that used to come from the front of the windows is gone to boot.

Thanks for figuring this out for me, I'll be doing it the next day I have off :)

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

People looking for a shifter, check out that double adjustable shifter that guy over on the Saab 9-2x forums makes. $95 for a shifter you can adjust in height and throw, pretty sweet. And definitely get a set of shifter bushings, $30 well spent.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

It flurried very lightly in Northampton MA yesterday, gotta throw my Nokians on Monday before I head upstate to NY this week.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Put my Nokian RSIs on today with my LGT rims. Found a huge road spike in one of the tires...and started to pull it out like a shithead. Then I stopped myself and realized how retarded I was being, and just put the wheels on and had it patched at the tire shop down the street for $10.

Also, got the Rally Armor Basic mudflaps today, I'm very impressed with them, I really don't see the reason to go with the $130 UR flaps over the Basics, they were only like $52 shipped. Gonna try to get them on tomorrow morning if I wake up early enough.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

I wouldn't drive the car until I had someone take a look at the tranny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

MMD3 posted:

It's only reverse that is making any odd noises, all forward gears are fine but I guess I'll try to set up an appointment to take it into the dealer tomorrow. It's just under 40k miles but I don't know how long of a warranty it has since I just bought it from the original owner a few months ago.

Yeah, but you use reverse ever single time you drive don't you? Worst case scenario, sounds like you might have buggered something internally, why risk making it worse? Unless you absolutely have to drive it, I guess you would have no choice. But if something did break, then chances are pieces will still be floating around there somewhere, which can't be very good for anything else, right?