Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

nm posted:

Frozen lakes are better
Subaru's need wipers for the side windows.

This is on my "to do before I die" list. All I have are a couple big parking lots.

Watching something spin around 4 times and then just charging off is breath taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

SubaruTex posted:

This is my kind of thread!

1986 GL Wagon w/ 3" Lift, EJ22 MPFI engine swap + More...

Holy loving funhog!

As for the modding, I would swear I get better gas mileage with the Cobb plumbing and Cobb flash. Honestly, I can't see why Subaru doesn't just sell (a version of) the car this way. The car has gone from capable to positively willful. It just wants to be flung at everything.

I would like to get to a dyno, but I think it would have to be a day trip to get to an awd unit.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

So you finally modded that car, let me guess the warranty ran out?

Nah, i just wanted to wake it up a little.

I took it to the dealer for an oil change and a service, nobody said anything about it. Now the 08 with the brand new motor put in, that was a different story. Honestly, how do you blow up a Subaru motor in 3 months?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Well, by "axle work" I am pretty sure they mean replacement. But that's ok, my cv joint boots went out at about 110k, and not too far from each other as I recall. You should plan on replacing both of them.

I don't think you can fix a cv joint. Once the boot is torn, there's going to be dirt in there.

edit: This was on a 95 Subaru impreza outback sport...wagon. Who names these drat things?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Cat Terrist posted:

Who the gently caress gets something called Rally Armour mudflaps? Right there, you know they wont work.

Okay here's one from left field - does anyone have a wiring diagram for a DCCD?

Scroll down to wiring. But I wouldn't know if they are all the same.

http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/STi_Manual/index.htm

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Why can't one of the big Subie shops in the US do something like that? It's not like there's any inherent flaw with the USDM 2.5 motor, right?

I have been wishing for a Cobb version STi since I got my plumbing done. They really should sell a car that way.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Here's an "issue" I just had. Hit the highway on the way home, the cruise light starts flashing and the cruse button is unresponsive. I stop at a store and turn the car off, come back out and start it up, and everything is fine. The cruse control was responding to the switch. Is this just a one shot glitch, or am I going to be in the market for some new computer somewhere down the line?

edit: 04 STi, Cobb uppipe and downpipe and a turbo back exhaust, along with a stage 2 flash. NASIOC is not much help, but they are pointing tward the O2 sensor.

burtonos fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 27, 2008

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

What's weird about it is, I see most people with that problem also get a CEL. Is the chip flash stopping this?

Alternatively, should I bother trying to make it happen again, or consider it a done deal and call the shop?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Excellent! Yeah, I might have jumped on the highway a little aggressively.

Now, what exactly does "p&p'd" mean in this circumstance? For that matter, is it on your list of things to do?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Bampalo posted:

I had looked into those, but the idea of paying ~650 for rotors made me slightly nauseous.

You drive a Subaru hot rod, you should want to pay more.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Ugh, small town woes. I got my STi into the dealer and a mechanic took it out. He was afraid to mess with the map so opted for a new o2 sensor. There is some white stuff on the old sensor, I don't know if that's bad or not. At any rate, if I get the flashing cruse again, I'll need to find a tuner shop somewhere near town(Grand Rapids MI)...or a weekend in Chicago or something.

The dealer wanted...wanted to put the stock exhaust back on :smithicide:

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

A quick glance at Kelly Blue Book(yeah yeah yeah...) puts the car under $14,000 American. $13,670 to be exact for the private sale of a car in excellent condition, in Michigan anyhow. I don't know how much the state to state thing would vary.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

I guess having a mechanic take a peek at it/kick the tires wouldn't hurt.

What's the expected lifespan on the old sti turbo?

Personally I'd jump that poo poo. But I don't want you starting that thread because of my silly opinion.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Impudence or impedance?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

One of my Forza buddies is pushing me into a Whiteline suspension kit. What's the word on these guys?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Well, I put the whiteline ALK on my 04 sti, and then drove it to Florida and back. 2 days down, 22 hours back(loving Atlanta :argh:).

2 things about the car:
1. It's loving amazing for blasting down the highway.
2. Everyone hates it.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

perabyte posted:

I'm moving out west in September, and I'm towing my Outback behind my dad's camper with a wheel lift. Should I disconnect the drive shaft? Because that's what everybody's telling me to do. I was told that in neutral the fluid going through the trans would actually be going through in reverse while being towed.

I'm almost sure this thread has said the only way to move a Subaru is on a flatbed trailer of some sort.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Where is the red line on the tach? You should easily be able to wind up to 5k, or am I crazy?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

buy this!

http://www.cosworth.com/Default.aspx?id=1091807

I don't know what I was thinking even looking at that site :(

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

$10k shortblock isn't going to go over well I don' think

Pessimist

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Just Another XY posted:

just a heads up CHRIST ALMIGHTY THIS CAR ROCKS SO MUCH

this is me when i drive- :woop: :woop: :woop:

/public announcement

Will there be snow? Because boy howdy are you in for it :3:

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

ab0z posted:

Are you going to Tony's garage to swap springs this saturday? If so you're already going to be using my spring compressors.

Edit - my garage is in grandville.

I'd like to find a nice pro-active shop to bring my 04 STi too. Fox in Grand Rapids is never forthcoming with anything that isn't "by the book" I think. I'll tell the guy "I've been reading about a possible issue with my rear struts" and he'll give me "I've never heard that". I think that's what they tell him to say about everything. I don't mind paying for the work, but for god sake, act like you like doing it at least.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

ab0z posted:

What kind of problem are you having?

The last problem was boost creep, which they "fixed" with a new O2 sensor. This happened in the winter, with the Cobb (catless)uppipe, downpipe and turbo back exhaust and their "stage 2" map. I like the way the car is, I'd just like someone to say, "Ok, this is properly done"

It's not problems per-se, I'd just like more input than "that'll be 150 dollars".

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

TurboLuvah posted:

Goddamn you, I would be out there all day long.

Or a weekend, at a "goonbaru meet".

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Why the hell couldn't it wait like another two months to pull crap like this so I'd have another car and could leave it sit until I had a chance to have something done with it.

That would be the other axle.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Well I sheared off a mudflap 2 tracking this weekend, what were you all recommending pages and pages back?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

I just spent a few minutes reviewing the first 10 pages or so of the thread, what a long strange trip it's been.

Now onto the issue, I got some clunk in my trunk. I see the Tiens and something else are poo poo struts, so, where do I get some new Tonka like struts for my 04 STis sweet sweet rear end?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Excellent, I shall order them post-haste!

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Ha, there are just no good subaru performance shops nearby and I've been too lazy and too busy to really plan a trip around getting something like that done.

Oh the trip isn't the hard part. Driving a Kia Rio for two weeks is the hard part.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Qapf posted:

I live up in the bay area and soon I'm going to begin the process to get my WRX to stage 2, if you know good shops please share. My big problem is not knowing who the hell to trust up here.

My car spent 2 weeks at P&L Motorsports and I am still waiting for my stock turbo and Cobb downpipe. I don't want to drive to Chicago again :argh:

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

I had an exhaust leak somewhere, so I went to Chicago and got it fixed!

Click here for the full 648x484 image.

It's weird how serious my car feels now.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Eh, who cares? It's ridiculous, sure, but it's probably a hoot to drive.

That car is not far from me. I am afraid to go take a look at it.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

I have a terrible lust for those things.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Faerunner posted:

I think you mean it's going to cost the last mechanic $9200 in repairs... right?

No loving poo poo! I would imagine the shop owner would be tripping over himself to fix that mess.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

I am thinking about buying a new Outback. What's the word on the 3.6 liter engines? I don't want to do anything to the car, I just want a plain old car.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

The day after I order a new outback too. :cry:

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

I am picking up a new 3.6 outback tomorrow! What is the first thing I do to the funhog?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

ssjonizuka posted:

Clearly you need a roo-bar with about 6 hella driving lights.

Or you could go the other way and get some of those pink supertones and put them in the grille...

hella lights, hella horns, hella bar, hella lift?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

I picked up a new wagon last week, it's been great so far and I am in love with the 3.6. I ordered the hood deflector for the car, which I thought was a good idea considering what the hood of my sti looks like. Should I put the deflector on? Do any of you guys use them? Or is it just stupid and going to break eventually anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

jamal posted:

You could just go with a clearbra.

That looks like cellphone screen protection, does it bubble easily on application?