Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Try this:

The sounds are to me pretty typical of the Roland Juno/JX series. Too bad none of the software folks has taken any steps in the direction of emulating that.

edit: this is completely wrong in 2012. U-He DIVA has an Alpha Juno emulation and PG8X here - https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/ - emulates the JX8P really nicely.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Yoozer posted:

The sounds are to me pretty typical of the Roland Juno/JX series. Too bad none of the software folks has taken any steps in the direction of emulating that.

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_U-NO-60

Dunno how accurate, but it's pretty cool in itself.

The Infinite Postma
Aug 30, 2005
like a lottery winner on acid
I'd love to know how to get the gnarly lead synth sound in this tune, D.I.M. - Airbus Baby. It starts at 0.59.

I can see that through the tune it's modulated lots, pitch bent a little, filtered, distorted i think, all kinds of poo poo, but if you could tell me how to get that main sound, i'd be very grateful.

Also, if you have any idea how they achieve that effect at 1.02, 1.17 etc. - it sounds like an engine revving,and i love it - please tell.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IXRxRsiXtAk

Can anyone suggest how to recreate the lead synth sound that starts at about 1:52. I've tried messing around myself, but everything I come up with sounds too cleans....I can't seem to recreate that distorted, grating quality it has. Any ideas?

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
This is much more of a programming/sequencing question than a synth emulation question, so I dunno how much assistance is too much to expect...but honestly Yoozer, you've been blowing me away with your knowledge of Reason and synthesis in general, so I figure now's as good a time as any to shoot:

I'm pretty proficient in Reason and have been using it for several years, but I always have trouble making my drum parts sound more "natural" and live. Now that Reason 4.0 has the ReGroove Mixer there's some pretty cool potential for variations and fills on drum loops. But I still can't seem to program a really awesome, aggressive drum solo yet. Specifically, I'm looking for something very similar to Nine Inch Nails' "Piggy":

http://www.last.fm/music/Nine+Inch+Nails/_/Piggy
The solo kicks in about 2:40 and builds and builds up to the end. Part of what I like about it is the way it develops, also the drum sounds they use are pretty badass and have some rawness to them.

Apparently, the drum solo in the actual song was just some demo track that Trent Reznor made and liked enough to keep it in the song. But since I have absolutely no skills with actual drum kits and not even a MIDI drum pad at my disposal, my luck emulating this kind of crazy melt-down solo has been slim. I know Reason has some awesome tools for automating and randomizing this sort of thing, but can I duplicate this sound strictly using Reason only, or is my best bet to get an actual live drummer?

Also, if that question isn't very fruitful, any chance of recreating the dark keyboard sound that starts at 0:45 and runs underneath the main part of the song? (Not the tinkly piano at the end) A reason patch would be AMAZINGLY helpful.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Infinite Postma posted:

I can see that through the tune it's modulated lots, pitch bent a little, filtered, distorted i think, all kinds of poo poo, but if you could tell me how to get that main sound, i'd be very grateful.
The main sound is probably just a simple saw wave or something - everything is put in the distortion or so it seems. This is where NI Guitar Rig or something would come in handy.

The engine revving could be done by playing low notes with portamento (holding a low note and then hitting the high ones a few time, staccato).

moron posted:

Can anyone suggest how to recreate the lead synth sound that starts at about 1:52.

When dealing with guitars it's obvious - one distortion is not like the other. With synths, you usually get relatively cheap on-board distortion - all with a single character. Nice if that character's any good - lovely if it's not.

Here's a poor man's replica, after the initial note, make sure the rest overlap so it doesn't restart the envelope.

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

I'm pretty proficient in Reason and have been using it for several years, but I always have trouble making my drum parts sound more "natural" and live.
From the Battery 3 manual: randomization is not the answer. Quantization isn't either :).

quote:

but can I duplicate this sound strictly using Reason only, or is my best bet to get an actual live drummer?
The problem is twofold: you need the sounds and the groove. A live drummer probably would be a good idea if you have no pads - drums are idiosyncratic (and this is lost when you play it using a keyboard in a quantizing sequencer).

quote:

Also, if that question isn't very fruitful, any chance of recreating the dark keyboard sound that starts at 0:45 and runs underneath the main part of the song? (Not the tinkly piano at the end) A reason patch would be AMAZINGLY helpful.

I found it hard to decipher (using a Youtube video for the full version) but you could try a Malstrom choir patch with a really subtle distortion. 1994 and Reznor probably didn't mean cheap Mirage samplers anymore, but still.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 22, 2012

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCfVFxRsKQc

Trying to figure out two sounds, both in the same song. The song is Welcome to the Machine, and the first sound happens at 1:09 and it's the airy whoosh sound that pans back and forth.

The second is the high pitch synth at 2:51. I posted a thread about it before and got some pointers but when I was following them I never was really able to get very close. Any additional help would be awesome.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
For a long time I've wondered how to recreate a whining, atonal electric guitar sound similar to the one used in Yoko Kanno's "[url= http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QamSVUjYkzg ]Spotter[/url]". The sound starts at around 3:23-- it's that random-sounding feedback wailing. It sounds to me like it's a guitar put through lots of reverb and some distortion, but how is that weird whining-droning noise achieved?

Actually, I asked this before on the forums about four years ago, and someone suggested using a small portable motor (such as an electric razor) pressed against the strings, but when I try that it just sounds like a really amplified electric razor. (I'd dig up the thread to find the exact things people suggested, but I don't have archives.) Anyone got any other ideas?

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.

Yoozer posted:

Really helpful :words: about why drum solos are kind of hard to replicate

Alright, so I guess my plans of completely software-designed drum solos are kind of unrealistic, but...here's another question I've been pondering:

Reason isn't that good at emulating guitar sounds off the bat, mostly because every single drat "guitar" patch for the NN samplers sounds like a weird piano when I play just plain old vanilla notes. Even with some nice gnarly distortion laid on it from a Scream 4 module, it still doesn't sound like a guitar at all. Is my problem with the way the notes are written? That is to say, Would it help if I delay each note in a chord ever so slightly to simulate strumming? I guess this question is sort of the same as the drum solo thing, where I'm trying to emulate live instruments, so I'm prepared for the typical "Just record a live player" answer. But some alternative would be nice, even if it means getting a slightly inaccurate sound. What's a budding producer to do?

PS Yoozer your advice in this thread and the electronic music thread is invaluable

SpecialAgentCooper fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 6, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Ohms posted:

Trying to figure out two sounds, both in the same song. The song is Welcome to the Machine, and the first sound happens at 1:09 and it's the airy whoosh sound that pans back and forth.

Try two panned china crash cymbals with a non-resonant bandpass filter (e.g. don't make things more difficult if you can get away with something simple. Percussion synthesis is a bitch).

quote:

The second is the high pitch synth at 2:51. I posted a thread about it before and got some pointers but when I was following them I never was really able to get very close. Any additional help would be awesome.

(this plugin is called ASynth and can be had here - http://antti.smartelectronix.com/ )

Still can't get closer unless you get yourself a better Minimoog emulator.

Popcorn posted:

It sounds to me like it's a guitar put through lots of reverb and some distortion, but how is that weird whining-droning noise achieved?

Sounds like a ring modulator to me, but I've got no idea how it's controlled. If you can run Synth1, pick the default patch, switch the "ring" button on, and start messing with the pitch of oscillator 2. You'll get the old-fashioned radio tuning effect (ring modulation = AM) - I've got no clue but maybe it'll add that missing bit of magic you're looking for to the guitar.

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

Alright, so I guess my plans of completely software-designed drum solos are kind of unrealistic
They might get easier by using a controller with pads, but there's no guarantee. Doing rolls, flams and ghost notes is just hard and requires separate samples and knowledge so you know how a real drummer would do it (e.g. you only have 2 arms, drums are bouncy which can be used for playing technique, etc.) A buddy of mine used DFH when he's producing in the studio (for live work he's got a drummer) and it sounds good but it's industrial electro so the quantizing doesn't play that much of a role.

quote:

Is my problem with the way the notes are written?
If you think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGJ8y67SU8 is realistic enough, then it's the samples.

quote:

Would it help if I delay each note in a chord ever so slightly to simulate strumming?
Yes, and stick to the notes generally used in guitar chords, but those are things you should do anyway ;). And up/down strumming.

A lot of it is in the distortion. For the acoustic guitars, it's the samples. Look at how they're organized in NN-XT or NN-19, if you don't see multiple layers and zones there's your explanation. If you see several zones but only one layer for all velocities, that's an explanation too; guitar strings are supposed to sound differently when strummed softly. See also http://www.robpapen.com/rg.html

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 22, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
http://home.vasteras2.net/mrlonghair/dt-sfam2kbonusdvdset-jetwindingdownsoundiwanttoreplicate.mp3

It's a one shot sample like a futuristic (jet) engine winding down with some effects on top, I'd like to use it in a liveset much like this original performance did to top things off at the end.

I've got a Korg KP3 (picked it up Thursday, love it) and Audacity (and the fruity loops 8 demo), I think I can find a lead synth as a base for this, but after that I'm not sure where to go or what filters to look for, and I don't dare to ask Jordan Rudess how he made that sound from 8+ years ago.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

quote:

and I don't dare to ask Jordan Rudess how he made that sound from 8+ years ago.

Korg Triton preset? :v:

Seriously, though: your example also contains these pesky guitars, so I couldn't hear it properly.

Is this good enough?

http://www.theheartcore.com/megathread/future_jet_engine.mp3 (replace with .wav to get the original if you can use it).

What I did was pick 3 sounds, all from Absynth.

The noise: added reverb and a heavy flanger to it for the basis of the "jet".
Simulating a winding-down engine: ordinary high-pitched pad with oscillator 2 pitched 3 semitones up. Set to monophonic, cranked portamento up completely. What I did then was simply play a high C and while holding that, the lowest C. I also added Ableton's Auto-Panner where I automated the panning rate.
Furthermore there's something bleepy in there but I don't know if you can hear it, I put that a bit further away.

If the sound doesn't last long enough, simply pitch it down - it won't lose its character a lot.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Yoozer posted:

Is this good enough?

Very close but not quite (I've been through that DT DVD I sampled this from over a hundered times, can't get tired of it, so I know that sound very well), but you've given me a good idea of how to get it going with the KP3, and while doing so I figured out more good effect combinations to use for various purposes.

Best investment ever!

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

What's up with this awesome "ice flutes in space!" sounding thing in the beginning of the Champloo intro, which goes into a big sweeping background chord at 0:21 ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0RxZXbaL4w&feature=related

It sounds like a mixture of a flute mixed with an "ooh choir" noise and then turned into a chord. Could it be a sample?

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Okay this one's seriously bugging me, myself and a friend who's way better than me at this kinda stuff are completely stumped, so I'm hereby bumping this thread.

The sample in question: http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/99284/lifelikesample.mp3

The high glassy synth that comes in 4-5 seconds into that sample. Honestly I'm at a loss, I'd appreciate any help whatsoever.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Mannex posted:

What's up with this awesome "ice flutes in space!" sounding thing in the beginning of the Champloo intro, which goes into a big sweeping background chord at 0:21 ?

It sounds like a mixture of a flute mixed with an "ooh choir" noise and then turned into a chord. Could it be a sample?

Definitely a sample, of what though I couldn't tell you specifically. Kinda the nature of hip-hop :/

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

mezzir posted:

The high glassy synth that comes in 4-5 seconds into that sample. Honestly I'm at a loss, I'd appreciate any help whatsoever.

It's the flanger/phaser which makes it glassy - but also hard to figure out what the actual source sound of it is.

Mannex posted:

It starts earlier already if you listen carefully - just played an octave lower. It's a sample of a complete phrase - 4 bars or so - which gives it the rhythmic component.

It's probably possible to rebuild it but it's a pretty big undertaking, and I wonder what you'd want to do with the result.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 21, 2008

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Yoozer posted:

It's probably possible to rebuild it but it's a pretty big undertaking, and I wonder what you'd want to do with the result.
Now that I listen to the first part of it again, it sounds like a vocal sample.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Yoozer posted:

It's the flanger/phaser which makes it glassy - but also hard to figure out what the actual source sound of it is.

Yeah exactly. Digital FM is as much as we know, and we're only like 90% sure on that. Ugh this is bugging me.

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Okay, I've already posted in this thread several times but I have one last question I swear!

Also, a big thank you to Yoozer yet again for recommending the Prominy Guitar samples, even the demo track sounds bitchin' and I would definitely save up for it.

Slightly on the guitar-related tip again, my uncle turned me onto Jeff Beck a month ago and the way he makes his guitar sound like a goddamn motorcycle is amazing. I've more or less accepted that no amount of tweakery will get my guitar playing to sound as good as his, but I'm trying to find some rhythmic synth patch that resembles a motorcycle sound in some way - the sort of gutteral, chugga-chugga noises and such. Beck sort of does it in his own vroom way, especially at the beginning of "So What":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV73rwbypWs

I'm not even really trying to emulate a guitar sound at all here, but just some aggressive mechanical rhythm more like. It'd be amazing if I could use Malstrom in Reason and use the motion or something to slow it down to a rattley chug or speed it up to a high-pitched vroom. Maybe distortion with Scream 4 on top would be the way to go as well (basically my favorite module, I stack it on almost everything except melodies). I suppose Thor has the better options for modulation capabilities but it's kind of a monster to get the hang of.

Any suggestions for starting points?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I'm not good with guitars, but here's a quick try for something filthy. The most difficult part is actually picking the right distortion and when Reason only hands you 2 of 'm (granted, one that's pretty good) and you can't get the result you want it's frustrating. Here's an attempt; the basis was to start with some :rock: fifths and harmonically rich waveforms.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 22, 2012

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I'd really love to know how to re-create the bass tone used in this battle song from the game earthbound (bass comes in at about 19 seconds):

http://www.qsmusic.net/ebbattle.mp3

It sounds so basic, and yet I just cannot get subtractor to sound this way. It's such a perfect tone for what I'm trying to do, really rich with all the bass frequencies I want and none of the ones I don't. I realize its an SNES game, so there are probably only so many things it could be, but I'm pretty sure SNES games also had the ability to use their own custom sound modules, rather than the really basic square\triangle\sine the NES was limited to. Could be wrong though.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Relayer posted:

I'd really love to know how to re-create the bass tone used in this battle song from the game earthbound (bass comes in at about 19 seconds):

http://www.qsmusic.net/ebbattle.mp3

It sounds so basic, and yet I just cannot get subtractor to sound this way.

Try to look for a fretless bass sample (because that's what it is, most likely) in NN-XT or NN-19. Set the attack (which is generally quite high) to nearly zero.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
A while ago someone by the artist name of "Aetherius" posted an ambient album download that he made on this forum. I don't know if that's his user name on SA. He described some kind of process he learned to create an overly distorted sound on a synth that has slight feedback. It's on a bunch of the tracks, but you definitely hear it on the first track. Does anyone remember this thread and know what I'm talking about?

Edit: Here's the thread with the download http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2968983

And his username is Rageaholic Monkey

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 29, 2008

SpecialAgentCooper
Sep 15, 2008

Yoozer posted:

:rock:

This worked loving well, thanks very much!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

awdio posted:

but you definitely hear it on the first track.

If it's the sound in 'The Return of the Unknown' coming in at around 2:50, try this:

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 22, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Yoozer posted:

If it's the sound in 'The Return of the Unknown' coming in at around 2:50, try this:

It's more around 3 minutes. I just downloaded the Reason demo and tried it out. I can't believe how intuitive and straight forward the interface is. The sound that I got certainly distorted, but it wasn't quite like the one in that track. I think I have to play around with delays and putting it back through another screamo. Thanks for your suggestion.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

awdio posted:

It's more around 3 minutes. The sound that I got certainly distorted, but it wasn't quite like the one in that track. I think I have to play around with delays and putting it back through another screamo. Thanks for your suggestion.
What about a pitch S+H LFO really fast, and really light? This can give that "buzzing insect" distortion.

Mannex fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 14, 2008

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnezldGu7JU

It's a laughably bad albeit catchy song, but the lead is really neat and I can't for the life of me recreate it. It strikes me as something similar to D. Ramirez remix of Bodyrox's Yeah Yeah, which I can approximate, but I can't touch this sound for some reason. I've been trying to use three detuned oscillators plus noise progressing via pitch bend rather than using glide to get the bendy effect, with one oscillator tuned a fifth above the others. Past that I'm lost. Ideas?

edit: I am so going to kick myself for procrastinating on writing my final philosophy of science paper for two hours trying to recreate this sound if they just used a sampler

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 16, 2008

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I am just going to post in here saying that the tutorials posted have been amazingly helpful.

Also wouldn't want this thread to die as I think its got some really good stuff.

All credit to Yoozer.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I've been interested in getting into making music as a hobby as of recently and this thread is tremendously informative and inspiring. Thanks for the awesome tips. :)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvwFQf8D44U

SH-1000 demo video. Haven't tried with Synth1 juat yet, had no luck with my real equipment either, but I'm looking to replicate the lead that starts just before the 3 second mark - and the beautiful bass that chimes in at five.

If I need to buy an analogue synth to get that sound then I will save up and do so, it has that spacey DiLeva sound I need. Still learning this synthesizing business, I might stumble upon it tomorrow, or get an idea of where I'm heading and eventually find it, but clues are welcome.

e. Bleepbass portamento is the closest I've come with my Yamaha RM1x, but still too far away from that exact sound

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 20, 2009

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I'm curious to know what sort of synth would make this sound and how I could recreate it.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/550310751f9b7808/

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Tycho's "Boards of Canada ripoff" bell sound. It's been driving me crazy.

The first thing you hear on his track "Cascade"
http://www.myspace.com/tycho

It sounds FM. I don't even care about all the EQing and tape warp. I just want the base. :(

edit: I can hear an octaved sine bell underneath the "saw-ish" part.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Hope that helps? I couldn't nail it, I'd need more control over the waveform for that, but it's a start. Compressor parameters can make it more clicky. I think the original from BoC sounds bell-like because of the compression, actually.

Opium Jellyfish
Feb 8, 2009
I'm looking for the kind of filters/effects they used on the drums in Desert Sessions vol. 9/10. It's a very unique and recognizable sound, but I am lost at how to recreate it. Particularly the snare drum.

Examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGaHOm89s90
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSa7SMkGFfc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8NSG1y7Apw

Project Lithium
Dec 24, 2003

by angerbeet
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this as I'm not looking for a sound, per say, but rather how to achieve a particular effect. I'm trying to do something similiar to the the stuttering effect found on the vocals in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IR9ZeA_fx4
(Crystal Castles - Crimewave (la riots remix)

I have at my disposal Reason 4 and Ableton Live.

Thanks in advance.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The stuttering is nothing but retriggering. You could load each sentence (or part of a sentence, or even single words) in Sampler or NN-XT and use that; or, lacking Sampler, you'd just copy and paste each sample in an audio track.

The last approach has the added advantage that things will be automatically timestretched for you so you can make the words sing in chords and intervals. In all cases you have to do the work first to chop everything up in pieces.

Opium Jellyfish posted:

Particularly the snare drum.
There's a lot of things you can do with drums, so it's a matter of figuring out if this is something you do to the snare drum or something that's done during/after recording. I'd probably start with a compressor with a long release, I think, but this falls outside of what I know :(.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 26, 2009

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Project Lithium posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this as I'm not looking for a sound, per say, but rather how to achieve a particular effect. I'm trying to do something similiar to the the stuttering effect found on the vocals in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IR9ZeA_fx4
(Crystal Castles - Crimewave (la riots remix)

I have at my disposal Reason 4 and Ableton Live.

Thanks in advance.

you need to record the output of dblue glitch while tweaking a vocal sample. Then after you make a few cool edits. Put them in sampler than mess with them changing transpose amount in places. Maybe play part of the vocals like a keyboard patch and send that again thru glitch.

I would get sugar bytes effectrix to do this.

I think there is massive sampling and resamplng going on. So start processing things and get editing.

yoozer you are fast man. I typed this in and you had already answered by the time I got my post loaded.

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

Altoidss posted:

Oh, I love you Yoozer.

Right now I'm having trouble creating nice sounding bass lines.

My favorite one is in this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8d6JhOmcRE

The main sound kicks in at 0:37, which I assume is just a saw or square wave, then as distorted and compressed as possible, yeah?

The bass hits at 0:45. How did they get such a nice, distorted bass without it sounding terrible? Every time I try to use anything other than a pure sine wave for a bass line, it sounds all rumbly and bad.

I think all the other sounds in the song are easy enough to make.

Got any tips on that bass drum? Crookers have some hard bass drums that I'd like to emulate, and I don't want to just SAMPLE them, that's no fun!
Someone may have covered this, I didn't read the whole thread. That synth doesn't sound like a typical square, saw, or sine wave. It sounds like what I call a glitch wave. Essentially you cut up a sample really short and have a sampler loop it. It'll produce that kind of buzzy sound. Then ust come up with a melody.

That kick sounds a lot harder than it really is thanks to an obvious use of sidechain compression. Put a compressor on your bassline track, set it to be triggered from the kick track, play with your compressor parameters until you are able to make it turn down the bassline track when the kick hits and back up in between the hits.

• Locked thread