Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What are these connectors called? The red and black terminals.

they look like Anderson powerpole terminals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Looks like a “quick disconnect” of some sort.

Maybe these?

https://www.amazon.com/Batterie-Con...la-569312377163

Hard to tell the size. I couldn’t find anything on K2 Energy’s site.

Edit: oh yeah looks like these

Jazzzzz posted:

they look like Anderson powerpole terminals

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Thanks. Yeah, it’s not a K2 build, just K2 batteries. I’m trying to figure out my cost to build it myself.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'm looking to buy a new bike here very soon and I can't figure out what dealer I should go to. The biggest one in town? The one a mile down the street? It'll be a Suzuki dealer of some kind in Houston and there are many to choose from. I'm not expecting any sort of deal or anything so which one would you all choose?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tell me which Suzuki you want to buy new and I'll tell you why it's pointless

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slavvy posted:

GSX1100S

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Gsxs1000gt. I know it's pointless but at this point isn't everything?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

Gsxs1000gt. I know it's pointless but at this point isn't everything?

That model has been around for a while and I'm assuming you could get a used bike + a bunch of farkles and/or riding gear for the same cost as a brand new bike. Normally Suzuki change very little with new model years so buying used gets you a bike identical to new with a lot of their models, and all their bikes are exceedingly reliable. But idk what the used market near you is like. Ultimately you are right, yolo et al. IDK anything about crazy American dealers but I know they're all scum and I'd rather deal with a private individual but a cool bike is a cool bike.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 13, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's a cheap oil with a JASO MA/MA2 rating? Is T4 the cheapest or is there a crap grade bike oil?

Explanation, can be skipped: Over the winter it looks like the O-ring that keeps the fuel petcock closed when the engine isn't running has shrunk enough to let a bit of gas constantly dribble down to the carbs. (Apparently known issue with the Rex, and I've replaced it before.) I noticed the dribble and didn't think much of it, assuming the float needles would keep gas from flooding the engine. But I smelled my oil anyway and it did smell vaguely gassy? Can't have flooded too much since obviously I didn't bend a valve stem or hydrolock on startup but I figure I want to change my oil with cheap poo poo, run it for a few minutes to flush, and change it again for the Rotella T6 I normally use. Probably overkill but it'll give me peace of mind.

I bought enough T6 yesterday to do both oil changes but it was a pain in the rear end finding any in town, apparently its having supply issues like everything else. Had to buy 1L bottles instead of jugs.

I will of course be replacing the O-ring too. Fuckin $7 at the dealer but if I pulled the one in the bike I wouldn't trust whatever dimensions I could take off it because obviously it's become not the right size.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Phy posted:

What's a cheap oil with a JASO MA/MA2 rating? Is T4 the cheapest or is there a crap grade bike oil?
The cheapest oil on the rack, if it doesn’t have the “Energy Conserving” wording on the back label, will work fine for your purpose.

(And if you look close you’ll usually find MA or MA2 listed on it anyway. I get the sense that it’s an easy cert to pick up if you’re not springing for the anti-friction additives. At least that’s my experience with picking up cheapo oil in convenience stores in middle-of-nowhere USA)

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Buy a used Katana lol

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Am I crazy or is my only option for an air filter replacement for my MT03 a K&N? Or is this some weird thing where only dealers can get this common wear part?

or am I terrible at google

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Google implies lots of options but if you're looking for a genuine part there's no reason to think you can get it anywhere but a dealer, no money in doing the dealer's job for them compared to selling sweet sweet high margin aftermarket parts.

Fwiw if you plan on keeping the bike for a while a k&n is reusable and the fluids can carry over to your next bike.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

Am I crazy or is my only option for an air filter replacement for my MT03 a K&N? Or is this some weird thing where only dealers can get this common wear part?

or am I terrible at google

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1wd-e4451-00-00/element-air-cleaner

e: cheaper: https://www.revzilla.com/oem/yamaha/yamaha-1wd-e4451-00-00-element-air-cleaner?sku_id=1487659

Found the part number here: https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5e1c6c8e87a866147046507f/intake

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Cheers thank you, could have sworn I tried to find it on partzilla to no avail. Air cleaner :lol:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Revzilla has great parts diagrams I think they just lift from the manufacturer website, it's really helpful as the biggest struggle for me is usually finding the mfg name for the OEM parts.

I recently realized this thing here was missing from my bars, and would have no clue what to even look for until I hunted through all the diagrams and finally found it under HANDLEBAR

11065 - it's a CAP, DUMMY!

(it's 90% cosmetic and I basically never ride in rain so I'll probably just jam a foam earplug in there and hold it on with electrical tape, but if I ever have the urge to spend $5 while I'm ordering something else it's on the wish list now!)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Revzilla has great parts diagrams I think they just lift from the manufacturer website, it's really helpful as the biggest struggle for me is usually finding the mfg name for the OEM parts.

I didn't know Revzilla had parts fiches, I've been using Bikebandit or Ron Ayers for the same purpose. Typically what I do is find the part on Bikebandit, and then feed the Kawasaki part code to a local dealer because up here they're almost always faster and cheaper for OEM than buying something online from the States.

Ron Ayers and Bikebandit both have reverse lookup capability too, if you know the part code you can look up just that part and they'll tell you what other bikes it was used on and where.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Anyone have any recommendations for a good motorcycle jack/lift available in North America?
I’m looking to do maintenance on my drz and possibly my st1300 - it has a center stand for most jobs, but it would be nice to elevate it for ergonomics while working on it. I have a pit stand for the drz, but it’s a difficult lift. I’ve tried several methods from videos, but nothing works great, and I don’t have exposed beams for lifting from above. I do have plenty of space in the garage for something with a larger footprint.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Phy posted:

I didn't know Revzilla had parts fiches, I've been using Bikebandit or Ron Ayers for the same purpose. Typically what I do is find the part on Bikebandit, and then feed the Kawasaki part code to a local dealer because up here they're almost always faster and cheaper for OEM than buying something online from the States.

Ron Ayers and Bikebandit both have reverse lookup capability too, if you know the part code you can look up just that part and they'll tell you what other bikes it was used on and where.
Ohh nice bookmarking all those!

Looks like the Revzilla caveat is it's limited to the big 4 Japanese manufacturers: https://www.revzilla.com/oem-motorcycle-parts

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Snapshot posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good motorcycle jack/lift available in North America?
I’m looking to do maintenance on my drz and possibly my st1300 - it has a center stand for most jobs, but it would be nice to elevate it for ergonomics while working on it. I have a pit stand for the drz, but it’s a difficult lift. I’ve tried several methods from videos, but nothing works great, and I don’t have exposed beams for lifting from above. I do have plenty of space in the garage for something with a larger footprint.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html

start with that one, if you need fancier you can start looking at Black Widow / Derek Weaver / Atlas / Auto Lift etc.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jazzzzz posted:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html

start with that one, if you need fancier you can start looking at Black Widow / Derek Weaver / Atlas / Auto Lift etc.

I got the linked HF lift for free from my FIL's coworker. It's big, heavy, clunky, and I don't like how the front tire holder works. None of this would compel me too get a different lift.
I've used it with three different dirt bikes of different sizes and my Monkey. I think the biggest bike I had on it was a new KLX300R at about 300 lbs.
Not sure how it works with heavier bikes but I think the coworker serviced some Harley with it.

Most of my dirt bike maintenance happens on either a standard stool-type stand or a very small foot lift, though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Snapshot posted:

If you don’t want a full lift taking up space, the harbor freight bike jack is pretty good. You can get the bike about 12-14” up in the air. Perfect for the DRZ, I’m totally happy with it for my DR650 and it was great for the DR350. It’s fiddly for bikes with exhaust under the frame, so it might not work at all with the ST or you might have to use bits of 2x4 creatively. Once I figured that out with my XJ600, it was pretty simple. You have to use straps to secure the bike at 4 points for total safety, but it’s stable. Using a rolling mechanics stool makes it a pretty workable platform. It rolls around, too, which is a nice feature.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The scissor lifts like https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-steel-atvmotorcycle-lift-60536.html don't work on faired bikes worth a drat, and as you mentioned if the exhaust runs under the frame too it's a double-whammy. I bought one to use with my first bike (GS500) and I think the only other bike I've had that it worked with was the 690SMC.If your bike(s) have cradle frames it could be a good way to go.

I bought an Abba Sky Lift with the package of extra bobbins, etc. a couple years back because I thought it'd be nice to be able to wheel a bike around while it was on the lift, get it out of the way and whatnot since my garage space is tight. Should've just picked up a table lift. The Abba lift makes it difficult at best to work on one entire side of the bike and it requires swapping hardware on the lift for every different bike you put on it. Being able to lift a bike and move it is OK, but when there's no bike on the lift it still takes up a bunch of space since it doesn't fold flat. A plain old table lift would be easier to deal with, especially if you have the floor space for it.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
For the table style lift, would I need an auxiliary jack if I needed to get the wheels off the ground while working on the lift?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Snapshot posted:

For the table style lift, would I need an auxiliary jack if I needed to get the wheels off the ground while working on the lift?

You could use paddock stands.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You could use paddock stands.

You could, but they're limiting. The best is having a table, paddock stands ANDa small lifting platform so you can take forks and swingarms out etc. if I had to lose one of the three I'd ditch the paddock stands cause I can use the lifting jack as a substitute, they also don't work on every bike while the platform definitely does. That's probably not that applicable if you only have one bike though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phy posted:

I used this a few times to get stuff from other bikes that I could use, and it was usually a pain because it went slightly outside the regular workflow of the dealership.

Hi, I want to buy a spacer for a luggage rack, it's part number 25-25-25

Hmm what? What's the plate for your bike?

Umm it's ABC123 but it's not an original part for th..

I can't find that in my system.

It's a Suzuki. You're a Honda dealer. I just want to buy the part.

I need the plate of a bike. Otherwise it's very hard to find the part number.

The part number is 25-25-25 :argh:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ughhhh that poo poo is the worrrrst

I'm exaggerating but yeah it's really annoying when how you think the parts system should be organized isn't how they've chosen to organize it. I guess I'm lucky that the local Kawi and Suzuki dealers have never pushed me on it and just take a part number like a good boy.

The car dealers sometimes want a VIN, which I'm already resistant to until I learned that, just occasionally, there was a mid-model-year revision, which seems asinine but there's no fighting a thing that happened and providing the VIN can actually be useful.

But if there's a hell set aside for me, it would be eternally trying to deal with the parts counter at Canadian Tire. I hate Canadian Tire. My teeth just get set on edge the minute I walk into Canadian Tire. Picture what you said (except they make you go thru make, model, year, trim level, engine size, and transmission type) but it's all done by either a 15-year-old or the slowest oldest dude on staff, every transaction ahead of you takes ten minutes, and it's in a car parts and hardware store trying its absolute goddamnedest to be a department store because they closed all the Zellerses and Target fled back to the US utterly defeated and nobody can afford to shop at the Bay so there's a *market opportunity* so now you're trying to walk a kid through their job while slightly too loud shopping pop grates in your ears and everyone in line behind you resents your rear end for making some kid take ten minutes to find a part and what the gently caress is up with that new commercial where they used "Ahead By A Century" anyway, what asswipe greenlit that, you know Gord Downie wouldna stood for that tomfuckery- "oh ok yeah that's in our system but we don't have any at this location" gently caress I hate Canadian Tire why do I do this to myself I wish Princess Auto had car parts.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My dude just go to Auto Value or Napa. Christ.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Got some new pants, but the zipper is slightly shorter than on my jacket. Should I spend the cash to get another zipper sown in?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Wear the trousers for a few days while riding. If they feel good, including after a wash, and you won’t be returning them, then yes.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

The left rear shock on my '20 Bonneville has the preload adjuster toward the inside of the bike (pictured below is the right-hand side with it facing out). It's still adjustable on the left, but way easier to scrape my knuckles on spokes etc.

1) Is there anything to worry about if I removed and rotated the shock 180 degrees?

2) The FSM tells me to throw away both mounting bolts and replace them if I do this. Throwing away bolts is definitely a theme with this bike. Realistically, am I fine reusing these a few times provided proper torque and some threadlock?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Does that mean these are torque to yield bolts?
That's about the only reason I can think of for throwing them out after a single use. If that's the case, I would replace them but maybe someone who knows what they are talking about can chime in instead of me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They say to do that because they have thread locking compound from the factory and they are convinced you don't know how loctite works.

You should be fine turning the shock around provided it's symmetrical.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

Does that mean these are torque to yield bolts?
That's about the only reason I can think of for throwing them out after a single use. If that's the case, I would replace them but maybe someone who knows what they are talking about can chime in instead of me.

Nah, pretty much every car manufacturer says the same thing about caliper bracket bolts. It's dumb.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Thanks, that proved easier than expected and now that I've found some pics of other Bonnevilles was almost certainly a correction of PO fuckery. He'd been considering installing some shorter shocks that he passed on to me, suspect he got past the "considering" part.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ola posted:

I used this a few times to get stuff from other bikes that I could use, and it was usually a pain because it went slightly outside the regular workflow of the dealership.

Hi, I want to buy a spacer for a luggage rack, it's part number 25-25-25

Hmm what? What's the plate for your bike?

Umm it's ABC123 but it's not an original part for th..

I can't find that in my system.

It's a Suzuki. You're a Honda dealer. I just want to buy the part.

I need the plate of a bike. Otherwise it's very hard to find the part number.

The part number is 25-25-25 :argh:

This triggered me a little bit. I was looking for a muffler-to-header gasket a few years back and had the stupid idea that I could just take the dimensions to the Yamaha dealership and find one that matched. It’s as if they aren’t allowed to even consider the parts beyond the bike model. I even told the dude the model of different bikes that matched close enough but he couldn’t get past the fact that they didn’t have anything for the first bike I mentioned. He wouldn’t even let me take some calipers and look at what they had. Made me wonder if the parts are all locked up in some giant vault and you punch in a part number and it pops out like a vending machine, no parts bins or whatever where you can just look at stuff and say “yeah that’s pretty close” the way you can at a hardware store, and even some auto parts stores.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That sucks, but I get the whole "workflow" thing. I have some experience with automotive parts distribution software and it's bad....like accounting software but somehow even worse.

Luckily the local dealership doesn't do it that way and I just call them up with a manu's part number and they're happy to not have to look it up by year/make/model etc. I get the feeling most of the calls they get are to identify and look up some obscure part by verbal description.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

This triggered me a little bit. I was looking for a muffler-to-header gasket a few years back and had the stupid idea that I could just take the dimensions to the Yamaha dealership and find one that matched. It’s as if they aren’t allowed to even consider the parts beyond the bike model. I even told the dude the model of different bikes that matched close enough but he couldn’t get past the fact that they didn’t have anything for the first bike I mentioned. He wouldn’t even let me take some calipers and look at what they had. Made me wonder if the parts are all locked up in some giant vault and you punch in a part number and it pops out like a vending machine, no parts bins or whatever where you can just look at stuff and say “yeah that’s pretty close” the way you can at a hardware store, and even some auto parts stores.

This is a particularly annoying problem with carburetor jets. There’s only a couple dozen different types of them on earth but there is no chart in existence which tells which jet goes in what bike. Unless you’re very familiar with the bike, you just have to open the carbs up and look.

That said though, we have a set of drawers at the shop with ten or twelve different exhaust gaskets you can just pull out and look at and measure :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hey thread. I haven’t posted here in a while

Does anyone know if you can still get the luggage set for the VFR? There’s a shop in Glendale I was going to call about it tomorrow