Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Despite living in tyool two thousand and eighteen, I shamefully do not yet have a 3D printer in my house. If I did that would definitely be my go-to, because rummaging through hardware store part bins trying to find the right widget is in my experience a huge pain in the dick and I can't imagine how staying indoors and mucking about with CAD programs for as many evenings as it takes could be worse.

Unfortunately I am currently broke as poo poo, and once I'm not there'll be a thousand other things I should really buy first.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
Fork seals: how much leak is too much leak?

I've got my bike tucked away in the house for the winter. I was dicking around with it today and noticed a bit of fork fluid on the right fork pipe. It's not dripping or beading or anything, it just leaves a very slightly damp film on the tube when I push the front end down.

This is the first time I've noticed it being wet. I did have the front wheel off for about a month, I'm wondering if the slider got twisted on the stand - or if that would even matter.

What do you duders suggest... should I be looking at replacing the seals before I can safely put it back on the road this spring? Or is it the kind of thing I can just keep an eye on and worry about when it gets worse?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The main reason that seals leak is either a bit of sand or grit gets between the slider and the seal, or the seal is old and dried out and starts to shrink and crack. Just rotating the slider won't cause leaks.

Every bit of oil that comes out of the fork seal means less oil inside the piston, where it's required to be at a specific level to produce the correct damping. Also there's a chance that it will somehow end up on the front brake, which is a terrifying prospect. Furthermore, if the seal is currently dried/cracked/shrunken/gritted-up enough that it's leaking, it's not going to just get better on its own and might blow out entirely at some point in the future.

If it's just "a thin film" you can try the trick where you slide a thin piece of plastic around the seal and pull it back out -- that theoretically pushes grit out of the seal and apparently fixes leaks sometimes. I personally would probably order new seals/bushings/etc now and continue to ride on it while I waited for the parts to come in, keeping a close eye on what's happening, and I wouldn't push the bike hard. Note that if you're seeing a thin film on a newly-wiped surface after just compressing the fork once, well, imagine what might happen as you pump the fork up and down hundreds of times in an everyday ride. I definitely would not wait until it gets worse, because "getting worse" might mean your fork collapsing suddenly under hard braking or something like that.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 14, 2018

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
Thanks man, that's some good advice. The bike only has 7.5k on it, so I doubt the seals have gone bad. Must have gotten some grit in there.

I guess since it's off the road anyway there's no better time to pull it apart and replace the seals at my leisure. It'll be at least two months before the weather is good enough to ride... and if I can't ride it, I can at least fondle it and dream of spring.

:unsmith:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I skeptically bought a seal saver like Sagebrush was talking about when my 690 seals leaked. Fixed em right up in a minute. Give that a try, since you haven't lost much fluid.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Seal-...rds=seal+savers

edit- get that one anyway. It's cheaper than seals, and it's just a fantastic tool to have with you on the trails.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Weird question but does anyone a good resource or documentary about motorcycle gangs, specifically the Pagans? In and outs, initiations, structure, etc. My idiot criminal cousin tatted up and has a large burly man that follows him literally everywhere (including our great aunts funeral).

Don't worry I'm completely cutting ties but I'd like to have a heads up on how exactly they're gonna kill him when he inevitably does something dumb.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why don't you just ask the big burly man? :v:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Those are some pretty impressive hoops you are jumping through to avoid realizing that they are a couple. I support the wonderful loving relationship your cousin and big burly biker dude have.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

I skeptically bought a seal saver like Sagebrush was talking about when my 690 seals leaked. Fixed em right up in a minute. Give that a try, since you haven't lost much fluid.

edit- get that one anyway. It's cheaper than seals, and it's just a fantastic tool to have with you on the trails.

dumb. posted:

Thanks man, that's some good advice. The bike only has 7.5k on it, so I doubt the seals have gone bad. Must have gotten some grit in there.

I guess since it's off the road anyway there's no better time to pull it apart and replace the seals at my leisure. It'll be at least two months before the weather is good enough to ride... and if I can't ride it, I can at least fondle it and dream of spring.

:unsmith:

I'm about halfway finished rebuilding my forks right now and am impressed with the construction of All Balls fork seal kits. Can't comment on efficacy yet, but boy howdy are them shits snug.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, that's what I used when I rebuilt my forks with emulators and they are very nice :discourse:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Ok so I should say that my cousin lives in Methville, PA and has been jailed for local gang activity including beating a guy who owed them money nearly to death. Anyway said big burly biker man has all the Pagan patches and poo poo and I'm guessing my cousins like in training or whatever? He follows him literally everywhere and apparently when my cousin needs to leave town for whatever reason he needs to get permission from this guy? Also the guy never says a loving word, he's just there. Trust me I'd be much comforted if I found out it was his oddly quiet gay lover.

Again I think my cousin is a trash person who should honestly be in jail but now I'm just very curious.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well I'll be honest -- I have no experience whatsoever with outlaw motorcycle gangs, nor do I know of any documentaries that might give you an accurate insight into the current workings of those gangs (as opposed to, say, teaching you an outdated/incorrect secret handshake that will get you murdered).

Maybe you could call the police? They'd probably have someone who can tell you if your cousin is mixed up in something dangerous or if he's just a poser.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So what outdated secret handshakes do you know?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Back to the topic of fork seals, I run neoprene fork seal savers instead of the accordion stock ones on my transalp. The stock ones had tears in them. I've not had to change a seal in 40k miles.

I've changed fork oil twice though. Once early in the ownership because age was unknown and then 2 years later after they again felt more squishy. Even just new proper weight oil in old style shocks is so much better than unknown age old oil.
Helps that it's super easy to do, with a drain screw on the bottow rear of the dampers, no need to take em out of the triples.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Google for "Gangland Pagans". It's a History Channel series. Not super in-depth, but it's good.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I sat next to a couple mongols at the bar the other day. They looked younger than me which felt weird. I always picture 1%ers as baby boomer aged dudes

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

Ok so I should say that my cousin lives in Methville, PA and has been jailed for local gang activity including beating a guy who owed them money nearly to death. Anyway said big burly biker man has all the Pagan patches and poo poo and I'm guessing my cousins like in training or whatever? He follows him literally everywhere and apparently when my cousin needs to leave town for whatever reason he needs to get permission from this guy? Also the guy never says a loving word, he's just there. Trust me I'd be much comforted if I found out it was his oddly quiet gay lover.

Again I think my cousin is a trash person who should honestly be in jail but now I'm just very curious.

His boyfriend is just the strong silent type.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Rough Lobster posted:

Weird question but does anyone a good resource or documentary about motorcycle gangs, specifically the Pagans? In and outs, initiations, structure, etc. My idiot criminal cousin tatted up and has a large burly man that follows him literally everywhere (including our great aunts funeral).

Don't worry I'm completely cutting ties but I'd like to have a heads up on how exactly they're gonna kill him when he inevitably does something dumb.

Not Pagan-specific, but I have some outsider knowledge of a similar gang (and they're all basically the same except for who they let in, near as I can tell).

Your cousin is currently a pledge - he expressed interest in joining and someone vouched for him. That someone is his sponsor, and they've put some personal credibility on the line by sponsoring him. In exchange for that sponsorship there are concessions. No leaving town without permission is a standard one. He will also have a phone and be on call 24/7. Sometimes it's a serious "I need to bury a body" call but far more likely to be "It's 3:00 AM, the bar's closed and I'm not drunk enough, bring me a beer." Refusing any request from a full member means he isn't serious about his desire to join and is grounds for dismissal.

The pledge period can last anywhere from a year to basically forever. These clubs are seriously the end result of the thought "What if I never had to move out of the frat house?"

The quiet guy following your cousin is interesting and I'm sorry I don't have a solid answer there. I'm assuming that he is your cousin's sponsor, but then your cousin should be following him around like a puppy, not the other way around.

Eh, this is a little hokey but it's close enough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWrxTTU3L_M

As for how they'll kill him... probably they won't, but if he has their tattoo and gets kicked out, or gets it before they give approval, he can either get it covered or they'll remove it with a belt sander.

A MIRACLE posted:

I sat next to a couple mongols at the bar the other day. They looked younger than me which felt weird. I always picture 1%ers as baby boomer aged dudes

The clubs know this, too. I think they're all recruiting pretty heavily.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Coydog posted:

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding - this poo poo is magic! I just used one on my fork and so far it looks like the leak is gone.

I shoved it into the fork, ran it around a couple of times, pulled it out and it had a bit of skudge on it. Pumped the fork, wiped, pumped & wiped a few more times, and now I can pump away and the shaft stays completely dry. :heysexy:

Thanks for the suggestion, m'dudes, saved me a ton of bucks.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
What kind of asking price should I put on my 2006 DRZ400S? 20k miles, sitting for a while but just had the carbs cleaned. Has aftermarket large fuel tank and all the mandatory crash protection (skid plates, case savers, handguards, etc). Plastics are rough from being used off road. Also have a set of Excel supermoto rims and equipment necessary to change between dirt and street wheels. Located in Raleigh area of NC if that makes a difference. I was thinking $2700. Does that sound about right as a starting price?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Put on the supermoto wheels and ask for eight large.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 18, 2018

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Kastivich posted:

What kind of asking price should I put on my 2006 DRZ400S? 20k miles, sitting for a while but just had the carbs cleaned. Has aftermarket large fuel tank and all the mandatory crash protection (skid plates, case savers, handguards, etc). Plastics are rough from being used off road. Also have a set of Excel supermoto rims and equipment necessary to change between dirt and street wheels. Located in Raleigh area of NC if that makes a difference. I was thinking $2700. Does that sound about right as a starting price?

$2700 is pretty cheap if that includes the Excel rims/etc. for the SM conversion. If it looks beat, you put a set of Acerbis plastics on it for cheap to clean it up.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Kastivich posted:

With everything included and the bike works I'd start it at 3.5k

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kastivich posted:

If you're willing to let all that go for $2700 then I'm willing to deal with your bullshit Snowmageddon traffic to come pick it up ASAP.

Seriously though I think starting at $3500 and settling somewhere north of $3000 depending on just how hosed the plastics are and if the signals and poo poo are intact, is a good way to go.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Thanks for all the input. I'll likely be posting in the marketplace thread once I get some images of it.

Plastics are not great but fine from ten feet. Biggest issue is a small hole the exhaust melted on the side panel after a saddle bag got dislodged.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kastivich posted:

2006 DRZ400S? 20k miles
set of Excel supermoto rims and equipment necessary to change between dirt and street wheels

I was thinking $2700.

Kastivich posted:

I was thinking $2700

:pusheen:

In Atlanta, with the sumo rims installed and an "extra dirt set", that would pull $5000 easy, maybe $6000. That doesn't include all the farkles. $2700 is way way too low.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah like lemme just sell off what I have into my half finished SM and buy that and the gas to get to NC for $2700. Hope you get closer to $3500 out of it!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also consider that it's January. If you wait until the snow's melted and it's warmed up enough for the weekend warriors to come out, and people are looking around and going "drat, I should get a motorcycle," you'll get way better offers.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
DRZs seem to sit on CL for a while here. But fair points all around.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
You guys are getting my hopes up :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unless you have supermoto wheels, I think $2.5-3K is more in the ballpark.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I'm selling my bike. People keep asking if they can ride it, and of course my immediate reaction is, sure, after you have paid and I've transferred the title. Am I wrong here?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

I'm selling my bike. People keep asking if they can ride it, and of course my immediate reaction is, sure, after you have paid and I've transferred the title. Am I wrong here?

I too would want to ride it before buying and I would be happy to leave the cash amount and my ID, if the bike was being sold for a cash-y amount of money.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Standard is cash in your hand and they have to have their motorcycle license, they drop it or break it and they bought it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Knifegrab posted:

after you have paid and I've transferred the title.

This is perfectly reasonable to want. And it's fine as long as you never want to sell your bike ever.

MomJeans420 posted:

Standard is cash in your hand and they have to have their motorcycle license, they drop it or break it and they bought it.

This is reasonable and works out well all around. I had a buddy who was side swiped on his test ride, and the reaction was "Looks like you just got asking price!!"

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Alright thanks for the tips my dudes. It'll be sad to see the bike go but its time.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Yep. When I sold mine I was explicit about this in the ad, and the friend of the buyer who came to test ride it "didn't bring their MC license with them." Yeah, no. You can watch me ride it around the parking lot.

Still sold it to them and he wobbled away through the parking lot after it was all said and done. :unsmigghh:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's a great chance that bike went through a write-off auction like a month after that so the lesson is never ever sell a bike you like unless it's to someone you know and can administer a bollocking to if they crash.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I dunno where else to ask this:

I just paid off my FZ-09 and the loan company sent my title in the mail. Do I need to do any sort of transfer / DMV trip for this? Also, someone in the chain (retailer or loan company) put a big stupid typo in my address as listed on the title. Should I get this fixed and, assuming it costs money, try to get them to fix it for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

There's a great chance that bike went through a write-off auction like a month after that so the lesson is never ever sell a bike you like unless it's to someone you know and can administer a bollocking to if they crash.

My old RS125 made it 3 weeks from me dropping it off at the dealer for part exchange to being written off. Man, I still miss that bonkers thing.