Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Cool, I'll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

How can I fix a bar end that keeps sliding out? I screwed it in and it's in the bolt inside, it won't fallout completely, but it does pull out like 1 ½". Seems like the nut inside came lose. The handguard holds it in place but I was considering removing them for the summer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's just suzuki bar-end life, toss them in the bin would be my strategy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Replace the bolts with a set of Tusk bar end bolts. They're bomber.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Grabbed a new set of grips, but wanted to ask the goon hivemind whether I should strip the old glue/grip residue off first before gluing the new set on. Also, if I should strip it off what do you all use? I'd normally use goo gone, but if something works better/goo gone shits it up I'd love to know.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I would strip off the old glue, yeah.

And here is my grip-attaching secret: use K-Y "natural feeling liquid" lube. It starts out slippery and then rapidly dries to a sticky film like a spilled sugary drink, which makes it total garbage for its intended purpose, but perfect for sliding on and then firmly attaching handlebar grips. I used it on both my bikes and the grips haven't even started to twist years later.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

And here is my grip-attaching secret: use K-Y "natural feeling liquid" lube. It starts out slippery and then rapidly dries to a sticky film like a spilled sugary drink, which makes it total garbage for its intended purpose, but perfect for sliding on and then firmly attaching handlebar grips. I used it on both my bikes and the grips haven't even started to twist years later.

I have to ask about the sequence of events that led you to this knowledge.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have to ask about the sequence of events that led you to this knowledge.

I mean... buy lube, use lube, lube sucks, lube gets shoved into the back of the drawer. One day you're struggling with something where you need slippery then sticky and you have an epiphany.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

I mean... buy lube, use lube, lube sucks, lube gets shoved into the back of the drawer. One day you're struggling with something where you need slippery then sticky and you have an epiphany.

Either that or he masturbated for so long his hand was stuck to his penis and he thought drat this is perfect for motorcycle grips. The funny bit of the story is he has to get all of his trousers modified because his hand is still stuck to his johnson.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Thanks, and I just learned so much about you

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So K-Y designed a lube that's designed to simulate an engine that's lost all its oil and seized? Is that what the millennials are into these days?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Buhbuhj posted:

I know this came up like 2-3 weeks ago but I'm too lazy to search. Which cell phone mount was the one people liked the most? I recall some people saying the phone would fall out of the xgrips one occasionally?

That was me that asked about it. I didn't end up mounting it on my clip ons,I found a bar running behind my headlights and my phone is now mounted next to my gauge cluster.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
So due to a combination of neglect and age my battery needs to be replaced.

Do you guys have a suggested battery brand/type? Are lithium good for posers like me that can't ride a lot?

Edit: From doing a bit of reading it lithium sounds good. I can actually charge it in my apartment without killing myself, saves weight, low discharge rate and will take a recharge better over time if it does drop lower.

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 23, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Sagebrush posted:

I bought the stuff, how did you masturbate massage your bars and with how much?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

Fanelien posted:

Either that or he masturbated for so long his hand was stuck to his penis and he thought drat this is perfect for motorcycle grips. The funny bit of the story is he has to get all of his trousers modified because his hand is still stuck to his johnson.

very creative, Fanelien, but Beach Bum wins this one by successfully applying Occam's Razor.

PathAsc posted:

I bought the stuff, how did you masturbate massage your bars and with how much?

I would just clean the bars with acetone or whatever to remove the old glue, then put like a drop or two of the lube on and rub it all around back and forth with your hands in a circular motion, spreading it evenly across the grip area. :discourse:

You really only want a thin film -- the stuff has to air-dry, so the more you put on the longer that'll take. You could also apply a drop to the grip's opening and spread that around instead :bigtran:

Once the grip is in place, let it sit for a while, and within an hour or so you should notice it getting locked in place.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 23, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JHVH-1 posted:

Do you guys have a suggested battery brand/type? Are lithium good for posers like me that can't ride a lot?

Edit: From doing a bit of reading it lithium sounds good. I can actually charge it in my apartment without killing myself, saves weight, low discharge rate and will take a recharge better over time if it does drop lower.

For the price of a lithium battery, I'd get an AGM and a battery tender instead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JHVH-1 posted:

Never buy a lithium they are all trash and the benefits are nonexistent irl. Buy a yuasa and a battery tender.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Never buy a lithium they are all trash and the benefits are nonexistent irl. Buy a yuasa and a battery tender.

Oh hey look, time for us to argue about this again. :sigh:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
My bike is in a storage locker without any power so I can't really hook up a battery tender. If i had that option I would have done it over the winter.

The bike actually had a yuasa battery in it. Don't think it was AGM though.

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 23, 2017

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
FWIW, I think LiFePo batteries are pretty useful in a couple of very niche applications.
1. You're racing and need to lose weight.
2. You keep the bike somewhere it gets cold and you can't put it on a tender.

You are, however, going to pay for it. If you do get one, I think earthx is the best brand as it has special magical insides that stop it from discharging all the way and that balance the cells as it charges on a regular charger (like, you know, your bike's electrical system).

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

You could also apply a drop to the grip's opening and spread that around instead :bigtran:

Oh dear now I'm envisioning someone using a heated grip as a fleshlight. I fear the internet may have ruined my mind.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm trying to sort out my squishy rear brake on my track bike. Been like that from the start, I figured it was just a bleeding issue. Bled the whole thing twice over and it still feels the same (I can press down to the whole brake lever travel with my hand). Even took the master cylinder off the rearsets and put it lower in case air was trapped there. A fair few bubbles came out, but it still feels exactly the same. Banjo bolt is at the top of the caliper, so I don't think air could get trapped there.

Am I down one master cylinder? Not sure what else would be the problem.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Barnsy posted:

Hey guys,

I'm trying to sort out my squishy rear brake on my track bike. Been like that from the start, I figured it was just a bleeding issue. Bled the whole thing twice over and it still feels the same (I can press down to the whole brake lever travel with my hand). Even took the master cylinder off the rearsets and put it lower in case air was trapped there. A fair few bubbles came out, but it still feels exactly the same. Banjo bolt is at the top of the caliper, so I don't think air could get trapped there.

I probably have the same rear brake assembly on my 500X and it's squishy and horrible with little to no feel. I've bled it and changed the fluid out entirely and it's still basically only useful for hill starts. I think the modern Honda 500s just come with shithouse rear brakes. I just use the front only unless I'm filtering or EStopping.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Fanelien posted:

I probably have the same rear brake assembly on my 500X and it's squishy and horrible with little to no feel. I've bled it and changed the fluid out entirely and it's still basically only useful for hill starts. I think the modern Honda 500s just come with shithouse rear brakes. I just use the front only unless I'm filtering or EStopping.

I only want to fix it for emergencies on the track, I haven't ever really used it. Guess I can put it on the 'maybe fix' list, second hand master cylinders are about $50 bucks.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I figured out why my old motorcycle cover smelled like cat piss.

It is cat piss.

Apparently there are some stray cats or people with unfixed male cats living near by that lets the cats roam outside in the middle of the city..

Now my new cover that's been used for like month also smells like cat piss.

I would assume that I can't do poo poo about it and just relegate that cover to forever live in the back yard?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
You gotta piss on it and show those cats who is running poo poo.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Washing it in a bucket of water + vinegar to get rid of the smell. then either use something citrus based or some lavendel oil/garlic based repellant seems to be the course of action.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's a bike cover. It's covered in feral cat piss.

Just throw it out.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Supradog posted:

I figured out why my old motorcycle cover smelled like cat piss.

It is cat piss.

Apparently there are some stray cats or people with unfixed male cats living near by that lets the cats roam outside in the middle of the city..

Now my new cover that's been used for like month also smells like cat piss.

I would assume that I can't do poo poo about it and just relegate that cover to forever live in the back yard?

Same thing happened to mine, put it in the washer with no spin cycle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Barnsy posted:

Hey guys,

Bleed both of the banjos.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Ended up using glue for my grips anyway, the lube didn't work for me unfortunately. I already had glue, so now I have lube in the garage.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

PathAsc posted:

Ended up using glue for my grips anyway, the lube didn't work for me unfortunately. I already had glue, so now I have lube in the garage.

Late, but what about just using safety wire?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

builds character posted:

Late, but what about just using safety wire?

For the first time ever in my life I have no spare wire of any type, and I honestly forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me to go stock up though!

tjones
May 13, 2005
Hairspray also works for grip lube/glue.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Really basic opinion question: I'm getting a new bike this year. It's pretty much down to an FZ-07 or FZ-09. Is the ~$1500+ difference a make-or-break? Fairly casual rider.

'17 The 07 has optional ABS and it's standard on the 09 and ABS is on my checklist. Weight is a factor due to my parking situation and size. Current bike is a DRZ400sm.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I've had an FZ 07 for over a year daily riding / commuting, so I can answer any specific questions if you got em.. It does feel very light, and is a decent option for lanesplitting

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

robotsinmyhead posted:

Really basic opinion question: I'm getting a new bike this year. It's pretty much down to an FZ-07 or FZ-09. Is the ~$1500+ difference a make-or-break? Fairly casual rider.

'17 The 07 has optional ABS and it's standard on the 09 and ABS is on my checklist. Weight is a factor due to my parking situation and size. Current bike is a DRZ400sm.

I have an FZ-09, and it's a lot more fun on the highway and big, empty roads than it is in city traffic. If you're commuting in a big city, or you don't anticipate spending a lot of time above 80mph, then you may want to consider the 07. It's lighter, less top-heavy, and more flickable. The 09, on the other hand, has an insane amount of power and will pull hard in almost any gear from almost any speed. If you're going over 100 in 5th and you give it a twist, you still have to hang on for dear life. The thing is bananas.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I had a FZ-09 for about a year also. I'd say get the 07. The engine in the 09 is great and all but the 07 is a much better bike for daily use. Especially under the circumstances you will be in. It's lighter, easier to manuever at low speeds and has plenty of torque to get out of it's own way.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Plus the 07 I was looking at is the gray/neon green and :fap:

I've ridden my friend's '15 FZ-09, the first bike I've ever been on that is remotely that fast, and it had a bit of an EFFECT on me, but for what I'm gonna use it for, the 07 seems like a better choice.

edit: color wrong. I saw a '16 in that color.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The grey/glow-in-the-dark is the best combo.