Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phat_Albert posted:

Does such an animal exist?
Yeah, the instrument panel for the Super Sherpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not really what you're looking for and I'm being a dink by mentioning it, basically. But this has a digital instrument panel, no tach, but it does have a clock mode. I really miss that clock mode.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I dropped my KLR a couple of times two weeks ago, both were offroad, zero-speed fuckups. Once on each side. (I'm dealing with replacing the plastics and have ordered some crashbars. God I wish IMS made a tank for the 2nd-gens, or at least that there were cheap 3rd-party panels) Since then I've noticed a weird-rear end vibration through my footpegs at about 15 kph: it alternates. One peg will vibrate for a bit, then the other side.

It's not engine-related, far as I can tell, as it still happens when I clutch in, the only thing that makes it happen is going 15 kph. If the vibes occur at higher speeds they're blending in to whatever the bike does normally, which is kind of a lot. The bike does have some mods that may have introduced vibration, notably a 3rd-party skidplate.

Any idea what the hell might be going on? I don't believe the wheels or brake rotors are out of true, since the bike is steady as ever at speed and under braking.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Those are standards, philkop. I'd call them retro standards, specifically, since they're built to look like bikes from the 60's and 70's. They're what bikes were before they started to speciate into more purpose-built applications, like sportbikes and big comfy couches and offroad. And they look awesome.

(I get the feeling a lot of CA loves the retro standards)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a good pair of noise-attenuating earphones as well as those earplugs ail asked about?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any idea how easy it is to turn an FZ-6 into a naked?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nerobro posted:

Footfall I think was the name.
Not the one by Larry Niven?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That said, there are oils that are not specifically sold for motorcycle application that can still work. Shell Rotella-T is the one I've heard brought up, it's a heavy-duty/truck/diesel oil, but its additives also apparently make it work well for motorcycles. (Also it's cheap as all gently caress, pricewise.) I don't know that I'd use it in a modern 600-I4 but I'm gonna trial it in my KLR.

Actually, therein lies a question of my own, the Rotella-T I'm using is 15w40 but my bike is specced for 10w40, is a 5-weight difference enough to cause problems with cold-weather riding?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's the best way to align your wheels if you don't trust the notches on the swingarm?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, um, how much of a pain in the rear end is it to maintain a Ducati? It's mainly the desmo valves and associated poo poo that worry me.

(I ask because I'm hoping to develop the cash for a retrostandard by the end of the year, and I'd like to narrow down what I'm looking at - right now it's between Triumph, Ducati, and the Guzzi V7, with the ZRX as an outside shot)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
e: wait, I'm full of it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

jujube posted:

I've given him plenty of pillion rides on my SV but for some reason he wants something else. Something goes VROOM VROOM and looks like a spacerocket.

I wouldn't mind if it was any other person but he just doesn't seem to be interested in bikes except for the VROOM and the looks. Gah, oh well.

A new Ninja 250 goes vroom all of the time and looks just like any other spacerocket (except for the narrower wheels and smaller muffler), get him to take a look

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is it common for the space between swingarm forks to be slightly wider (about 1/8th to 1/16th) than the fully assembled rear wheel?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just for my own curiosity, what does the crank on a 2-stroke triple look like? I'm imagining gloriously ridiculous 120º offsets.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it was an alignment thing, I'd think it'd be happening more often, but you might do an alignment of your front forks anyway, just to be sure. Also, the DR's got a big sail of a front fender, which at 100mph might be contributing to instability - KLR guys bitch about the same thing.

I'm not sure these bikes should be running at top end for any great length of time anyway, given the horror stories about cylinder wall deformation on the KLR boards.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mechanic-ing question - one of the subframe bolts on my bike sheared apart, leaving the threaded stub sticking a little way out of the hole, but still way down in the bottom of a socket. What's the best way to remove a bolt stub that I can't quite get a pair of pliers on?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bucephalus posted:

"But it's a touring bike! How bad can it beeeeOOOOFUUUUUCCCKKK"
What, you mean like the Concorde 14 and the Busa?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sectoidman posted:

Not quite, the ninja 250 cannot carry enough gasoline to reach escape velocity. Assuming a total mass of ~600 lbs / 272 kg for the bike, rider, and any gear necessary for the rider's survival in a vacuum, and assuming that escape velocity for earth is about 11.186 km/s, you would need at least 3.405 x 10^10 joules to reach escape velocity. One gallon of gasoline has a combustion energy of about 132 megajoules, assuming a stoichiometric fuel-air ratio. A bit less than 30% of this would be convertable into forward motion, due to the inefficiencies of gasoline engines. You would therefore need to combust well in excess of 257 gallons of gasoline to reach escape velocity. The ninja 250, sadly, can only carry about 4.8 gallons of fuel.

:v:

Does that 600 lb include an oxygen supply for the bike?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ain't those the Corbin beetlebags?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Orange Someone posted:

Since I am a lazy gently caress, and half the time the bike is being used to commute to work, I have a bad habit of not oiling my chain. Yes, I know it will kill me, but leaving the house at 5.30am really doesn't make me want to do anything else when I get back.

How long's your commute, and how often? You should be able to find half an hour on a day off; that's about as long as it takes if you're walking it back and forth to expose different bits of the chain. If you have a lift, stand or centerstand, it's even quicker.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want to rotate my subframe off the upper mounting bolts, so I can have better access to the sheared bolt. However, I need to remove the duct between my airbox and the carb (just the one carb). Is doing so massively unwise?

e: Too late! Stuffed a rag in the hole.

Phy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 11, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What do I lube cables with? I mean the actual lube, I have the little gizmo that clamps on the end. I've done it once but it was over at someone else's place.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheFonz posted:

2008 KTM 690 SMC with 635 miles never down flawless for $6k flat. Should I do it?

I think so, help me make a bad decision.

good lord, fire if you're interested

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
SAE connectors (about 2/3rds of the way down the page) There's no such thing as male or female, an SAE connector is hermaphroditic.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sirbeefalot posted:

what phones do you use

I've seen etymotic mentioned here more than a few times, although they're pretty expensive. The thing is, you want an earphone that's going to isolate your ear from outside noise, otherwise you're just going to be blaring it louder than the wind noise in your helmet and hurting your ears that much faster.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cypher posted:

I have a friend who's looking to get into bikes so I felt obligated to make some helpful recommendations (like talking him out of getting something that will kill him). Here's the catch though, he's 6'7 and all legs. I had him take a seat on my SV650 and the grooves in the tank that normally accommodate my legs comfortably (I'm about 6'2) end up poking him right in the thighs.

So what's a good idea for a starter bike that's not way too much power but a large enough frame to fit a taller rider comfortably? He's interested in sport bikes but I'll entertain any suggestions.

Dualsports. KLR, DR650, DRZ-400 (in enduro or supermoto flavour), XR650L, and plenty of 250's from all the Japanese. Also the BMW F650GS and Aprilia Pegaso. DS bikes are quite tall and it's hard for a many shorter riders to flatfoot them, but once you're sitting down they've got acres of room. Seats are kind of hard on the more dirt-oriented ones.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok, so I've been broadcasting my indecision in the "should I buy this bike" thread and kind of using it as a "recommend me a bike" which is entirely against the AI spirit, so I'mma take some time off again and decide. If I let my balls speak up for a second all they do is scream "Bandit or ZRX". Monetarily, that would mean selling off the KLR. And I think I'm ok with that. Gravel roading is fun but I'm really not sure I enjoy it enough to justify the comparative lack of road manners.

I've been riding since '05, and the KLR is the biggest bike I've ridden for longer than around-the-block test rides. I've never tried to wheelie it. I still goof up picking my lines and power management from time to time. Would there be anything specific I'd want to keep in mind moving up to something that big? Should I put in more time down in the midrange?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Avon Distanzias? I hear they're about perfect for 80/20 use. What bike is it on?

I think he rides a ZR-7S, and Avon shows they do make Distanzias in a 120/70R17 front and a 160/60R17 rear, whereas the Metzeler Tourances, Pirelli Scorpions, and Dunlop D607s don't. That may be your best option for a 90/10 tire, Simkin.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Looks like Avon is the only company that bothers to make d/s tyres that could potentially fit my bike. :)
Doublechecking it, it looks like they're calling those "supermoto" sizes

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had this problem with a Major loving Bolt (upper subframe) on my KLR, it's what kept me sidelined for most of the spring (albeit i am a lazy gently caress), and what ultimately prompted my purchase of the WeeStrom. I ended up entirely drilling the bolt out, and replacing the threads with an appropriately sized keysert. This was after I tried conventional screw extractors.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a rubber bushing on the frame stay I'm replacing on my KLR that I want to swap to the new part. What the heck do I use to destroy the glue but retain the bushing?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not really, it's wrapped around a piece of steel tubing. I was gonna pick up some goo-gone but it said DO NOT USE ON RUBBER.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Just wanted to chime in with a hearty thanks to everyone that recommended Avon Distanzias to me. They're loving spectacular, and now I can ride over all sorts of poo poo without the bike getting all snippy. They don't tramline anymore, manhole covers and paint (dry, at least) doesn't cause any slippage, and they have me seeking out every stretch of gravel to act like a retard on. The fact that they do all that, and have as much grip on plain old tarmac as the Metzlers I had on before, makes it kind of feel like I'm cheating. :toot:

Awesome. I'll definitely keep 'em in mind for when I wear down the deathwings on the Strom.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mechanism Eight posted:

Any suggestions on what to do with this exhaust? I spoke to a local shop and the mechanic said there's a chance the thin metal could blow out if he attempts to (TIG) weld it.

I've had gun gum and generic exhaust repair putty on there and they've only lasted about a week. Should I just dump it and get a replacement? Both pipes are horribly oxidised, red and pitted.

Considering I've been looking at this for a couple of minutes and still can't tell whether you've posted the inside of your exhaust or a staining of a bacterial culture, you might want to start investigating the prices of replacement pipes.

E: am I looking at the outside right at a join?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm sure it's been asked before, but does anyone have a link to an article on how to repair a busted chain at the roadside? Also, is it possible to inflate a patched tire with a bicycle pump (and a half hour or so) or is that one of those things you really need a powered compressor for?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My chain clicks so much right now it sounds like a bicycle's freewheel when I'm walking it forward. I'm checking it out tonight, is there anything I should look for besides a hosed chain/sprockets? (I just reset the tension before the weekend)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

philkop posted:

Stupid bike question. What do you guys do about helmet hair. When its chilly i can wear somthing with a hood under my jaket and helmet with the hood up. Works allright. Just wondering if some other people have done anything to prevent this.

Shave it off. Slapheads unite.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Speculation, not planning, here: My ride out to Van Island revealed some serious flaws in my technique, and the roads here are pretty lame unless you ride at least an hour out to the mountains, so I'm halfway considering doing some trackwork. Is it a bad idea to use your main ride for that, and should I take an intermediate/advanced rider course before I think about it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zool posted:

As a new rider on a new Ducati you need to make the following modifications right away. Frame sliders, bar end sliders, axle sliders. You can thank me later.

OK definitely do this. First time riders who drop their new Ducatis ought to, in my opinion, be clubbed with clubs. First-time riders who drop their new Ducatis on replaceable aftermarket kit designed to keep the ground away from the pretty Italian bits ought only to be scolded.

e: Where do your sliders mount? VV

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maytag posted:

Yeah I don't know what the hell happened there. Check out the 'About us' section.

That's loving awesome.

Peace Industry Group posted:

We successfully developed the scooter at first in the whole world, which used the four stroke motorcycles engine in March of 2004
(emphasis mine)

Peace Industry Group posted:

A new-type aircraft carrier is showing up prominently fast.
I think these guys may have played a little too much Darius back in the day.