Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Got an oddball question.
Looking at buying an XT 350 off a dude. No title, just a bill of sale. I'm under the impression I can register it as an OHV, then apply for a title, then get it plated. I'm in CO, which requires a previous title or registration to get a title and then a plate. Does that sound like a feasible path to riding a mullet machine down to my local grocery store without the cops hassling me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’m also in Colorado and I’ve never had to wait more than a couple weeks until a titled mid displacement 90s dual sport came up on Craigslist, so you might want to hold out.

But yeah that’s my understanding. There are a couple threads about it on ADVRider, and at least one guy in southern Colorado found a New Mexico loophole for his DR350 that worked out.

I think I'm gonna hold off on that XT. The more I think about it, the more of a hassle it becomes. Between my work schedule and COVID stuff, I'm looking at not getting a plate until close to summer, which is less than ideal.

It's a cool bike though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I have a Hagon rear shock on my Hawk and it's quite nice. That plus some cartridge emulators up front made an incredible difference to its stability and handling.

e: and yes you should order directly from the company or use a reputable dealer so that they ask you about your weight and type of riding and get you the right springs and setup.

Unrelated to suspension, how do you feel about your hawk?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

40oz of fury posted:

WD-40 is good for cleaning things like the front sprocket cover when it's absolutely packed full of chain lube and dirt. Leaves a bit of a "protective" residue, that also collects fresh dirt work as good as having the right tools and know-how, but it probably has helped someone at some point.

Brake cleaner is good for cleaning things without leaving any residue, hence the reason it's good for brakes. Keep everything else away from your brakes.

Grease is used for high-pressure and/or low-speed friction areas. Suspension pivot points, head bearing, wheel bearings. Anywhere that you need the lubricant to stay mostly in place, because it won't just run away like oil would.

Gear oil is for cars, and I guess Harley transmissions?

I've had penetrating oil save my butt more times than I can count, usually going behind another tech that over tightened a fastener, or a 20 year old corroded pipe union, not usually related to a vehicle. The best way to ensure you don't need to use PB blaster or similar products is to put some anti-seize on whatever you are working on. You don't have to go crazy and leave a copper ring around the heads, a little goes a long way.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
RMATV sells replacement hardware that works with the Acerbis handguards, I think they are 8 bucks a set, and they come with rubber inserts. It's easy enough to get the retaining hardware out, and if the retaining nut falls off in your bar you can just tip the bike a little and it will roll out.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Dog Case posted:

I feel like carbs aren't as hard as everybody makes them out to be, but people get that stuck in their head, try to mess with them, go "wow so hard!" as soon as the first thing they try doesn't work and give up. Then they leave it slightly hosed up, and that's how we end up with so many used bikes with weirdly messed up carbs

Single carbs are easy, double aren't bad, banks of three or four suck poo poo though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

also space lord and neon grandpa

Blaze Banana, I believe, is the preferred nomenclature.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CongoJack posted:

It shouldn’t be that hard to get an oil filter off, right? I got an oil filter wrench but when I try and take this thing off it just slides down and off.

Is it one of the strap type wrenches? Those are useless.
Just punch thru it with an 18" Phillips screwdriver and spin the fucker off.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mirconium posted:

I'm moving soon, and I was going to stuff my bike into the pod/ubox/whatever, but it's taking up a LOT of room in there, so it might be better to ship it as a separate thing. Anyone have a company that you've had a good experience with? Trying to ship SF to DC.

I used HAULBIKES last summer, it was like $600 to go from N. Colorado to Richmond VA. Super easy to work with, I had to change my drop off date a few times and they were very accommodating, I basically used them as a storage unit for a month due to closing issues on the new house. They also operate their own haulers instead of contracting out, and their trailers are custom built to handle like 60 bikes, which I thought was kind of cool.

Sounds like you talked yourself out of stuffing it in your POD, but if you need anymore convincing, it's explicitly against the TOS to put any motorized vehicles or lawnmowers in one. Also I packed my goods really well and I had some significant shifting, my kettlebells and enameled cast iron were scuffed to hell when they arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
If you are in the US, you can get a manual range Klein for 40 bux at the Home Depot, and a set of probes with alligator clips for 20 bux. I'm sure you can order gator clips off of Amazon for like 5 bux, but I haven't actually checked.