Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Clank posted:

So I recently bought an FZ6 and I gotta say wow, compared to the KLR I was riding before, this thing is crazy. When you pull the brakes, it actually stops!

My question is, when turning at slow speeds, the handlebars turn themselves, and cant be turned back until you straighten up. Is this normal? It feels weird because I dont remember the KLR doing anything like this.

That sounds odd and unlike either of the FZ6s I've ridden. Mine is super smooth and it feels like it "turns itself", but it doesn't. I'm kind of confused about what you mean by slow speed turning though, faster than parking lot? Parking lot speeds never really mean any lean for me so I was just assuming you meant like >10mph lean.

Edit: Actually, thinking back I remember riding a Honda 999 when I was looking for a bike that acted like that. I just chalked it up to the kind of bike but maybe it was just messed up. Do you have to fight it thru turns? Your FZ6 shouldn't be like that at all, mine is the smoothest bike I've ridden as far as ease of ride goes (aside from some other 500-600 standards, XJ600, GS500 and the like).

nsaP fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well did you work out the mpg? I mean, you know how much you filled up after the low fuel light came on so...?

nsaP fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 17, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jabs posted:

:fap:

My god...

My cravings for a traditional supermoto to be a hooligan on have changed

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Yeah, that's an annoying thing, when it's 110 F in Livermore, it's a lovely 75 degrees in S.F.

I'll look into perforated leather. Are the pants big enough to go over a regular pair of jeans/cargo pants without trouble?

My mesh pants easily slip over a normal pair of jeans, they make them to do that with fancy ankle-widening zippers and everything. I have that and a textile jacket, and when you are moving it's fine but sweltering if you're stuck with no airflow for any time. It's easy to find nonflashy mesh or textile pants, many are just flat black.

And sometimes you just get stuck with logotastic poo poo, if it's the best. I hate hate hate flashy poo poo, but I wear an ICON textile because they run long in the arms and skinny in the waist, and I'm both. Other jackets hang off me in the middle if they're long enough for my arms, so I'm stuck looking like a jack-rear end with ICON in big white letters on my front and shiny backplates with "TITANIUM PROTECTION" all around. On that note, if anyone knows other brands good for long armed skinny people I'd love to hear it, I'll be in the market for new gear soon.

Safety first....sigh. It's lovely cause people make their assumptions based on that. "Dude do a wheelie!!" (never done one intentionally, not interested in learning on my pretty 600) and "Dude how fast have you gone 160!?!" (Not even close, gently caress that poo poo the fun is turning and acceleration, my fastest top speed is in a car)

Edit: to include my beautiful jacket, I forgot about "ANATOMICAL ARMOR"

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

It's cool looking, right? Right guys?

:smith:

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 9, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I don't know about what it's like where you live, but a title-less bike that's never been set up for the street sounds like a nightmare to try to register.

If you can trace the ownership to someone who had a title at one point I think you can do some "lost title" poo poo, but it doesn't sound like it'll be easy.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, for the love of god stay out of that mess.

Given the choice I'd much rather try to register and title a bike with no papers that had never been inspected, than to come between a lover's quarrel where you give the girl money for a bike then find the guy came and took his bike back.

Dealing with both of those things, not worth it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, the helmet tap is a "good boy" here too, a double tap to the top. I mostly just flash my lights anyway.

Also, there isn't complete solidarity. Some cruisers don't wave, the dicks. I ran into a lot my last ride.

I wave at everyone, even bicyclists. I feel you!!!

For funsies a sportwave from a guy I put in another thread a bit ago:

Edit: yes he is the master and he's turning with his rear wheel off the ground there

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 19, 2010

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Just take a few steps back?

Is it an actual pressure washer or one of the high pressure car washers?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
We have a couple 2004 FZ6s and the descriptions are pretty apt I'd say. It's comfortable and super easy to ride but nothing amazing. Haven't had any problems so far.

You'll be popping up and moving it around on the stands in no time. We store 3 bikes in a tiny area and I have no trouble popping the one in the middle on it's center stand with barely enough room to get a leg between them.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

MoonCricket posted:

Can anyone tell me what they think of this bike. It's a 2005 DRZ400SM with 5300 miles and a FMF titanium 4 exhaust(not sure if its a slip on or full). The pictures look good to me and the buyer says its in good condition. He's asking $2800 but I'm not sure exactly what I should be paying for a decent condition DRZ. It's close to a 3 hour drive and I'm considering going to look at it in the morning. This is the closest thing to what I want that I've seen near me. Anything specific I should looking for on a used DRZ?

That is pretty much what I'm looking for and I'm jealous of you. I'm looking to ditch an 04 FZ6 but all the DRZs I've found are newer and asking in the mid to high 3s. I think I'll be lucky to get near 2800 out of the FZ6 so adding a grand is a bit of a push for me, especially considering I enjoy my bike and there's nothing wrong with it.

Buy it buy it buy it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
youtubes showed me it, a bit before 50secs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWIVLff5R0U

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Plastic nuts? Are they actually nuts or do they just look like it but they're actually connected to the plastics?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BradleyJamers posted:

I couldn't add my GS500F to my policy so I had to call up their customer service. Gave them the VIN and he said it came up as a GS500. I asked, even though it really is an F that having it as a GS500 would be a problem. He said nope, that's what the VIN comes up as. I'm not gonna fret, it saved me $150 over what their quote was for an F model.

I can echo this. I think my bike insurance card has said the right thing about half the time. My dad's keeps getting labeled as an FZS1000 even though it's a US bike, I don't think they're normally referred to that here, despite it being right I think(or maybe it should be FZS1000S, can't remember).

Likewise mine is a bit off I think too, being listed as an FZ6S despite being a '04 where only 1 existed, just called the FZ6. I just assumed with this that they were using the new designations, S being the non-fairing, R being fairing and mine being just an FZ6 in the weird half-fairing variant. I did the same thing, checking with the adjuster to make sure it's kosher and he said it was all fine, that's how their system does it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Crayvex posted:

FYI: I'm a retard and that is exactly how it worked. I don't know why I assumed it was plastic nuts all around. Swapped in the new geeky windshield in 20 minutes.

If it makes you happy...:)

I only knew about that because I just ran into the same thing on my Yamaha last week when I was messing with the license plate mount. I was unscrewing a bolt with a driver while holding a wrench on the nut above it only to find that the nut was connected to the mount.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, what do you mean "felt", because a motorcycle tire isn't like a bike tire.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

I was gonna post exactly that but I thought it came off too smarmy :)

The cargo net is the best accessory I think I've bought for the vstar.

How have I never seen this before? Brilliant, and less than 10 bucks. I'm going to get one just for the convenience.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

BlueBayou posted:

So my gymnastics gym has costume night on mondays. I often ride that and so I decided to make a pseudo-Daft Punk costume out of my helmet by adding EL Wire

Would it be legal for me to ride with the lights on? I feel like it might add some visibility. But also might make me look stupid.

:goonsay:

Look up your state or local laws as they vary from place to place.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Habits don't even take long. I "stand up on the pegs" in cars sometimes if I happen to look at the road when there's a pothole or something and the reflex just kicks in.

Kinda funny to other people in the car cause you just kind of thrust upwards a bit from the car sitting position.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

CombatMedic posted:

I am a lowly apartment dweller with no garage. This is going to present a problem because I'm going to be working offshore for a month at a time starting in July. Can someone recommend a really good cover, and a really good anti-theft system? I live in a really low crime area but having my bike sit outside for a month kinda unnerves me.

Do you have friends?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

SaNChEzZ posted:

Nylon, don't wanna scuff it up or get tiny metal bristles into the rings! I just use a rag, then toss it once it's filthy.

I do the same here. The chain is the dirtiest, most annoying part of my bike. On that note, I'm sure it's been covered, but are there any alternatives to spray on lube that are worth switching? It's a pain to find the regular spray kind here and I've never seen anything else. Even if I give it a ton of dry time, I still end up with lube all over the ground and wheel and bike.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

frozenphil posted:

Would someone mind doing a run down comparing the current crop of 600 super sports? I'm interested in making the SS leap and I'd like to know what's out there.

I don't mean to be a dick, but is there really a reason to move to a SS on the street for riding purposes? I'm on a 600 standard now ( ;) ) and I'm nailing corners on the street and drat near 2X the posted speed limit and still leaving a nice line of chicken strip on the tire. What is the point? I'm looking to a sumo myself.

I mean, nothing has the curb and sex appeal of a hot super sport, but...boring.

I'd track one for sure tho. To finally feel banging thru that powerband...3rd-6th gear 10-14k pinned...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Does anyone have any experience trading bikes between states, in this instance IN and KY? I'm about to give the DMV a call in both states a call of course, but...they're the DMV. We both have title in hand, and I think he'd be coming from IN to KY to do it.

Off to look for myself, but anyone's experience would be appreciated.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A little harsh but I think what he's saying is, there isn't really a market in parts for your bike, so thieves don't have a reason to steal it.

Anyway CA, looks pretty definite that I'm trading a FZ6 for a 09 ninjette for my sisters. Rode it today and it was fun. Slow as hell and a short seat for me, but I was hitting the turns about as quick as on my bike and it was a test ride. It was interesting being able to rev out 3 gears and still be legal.

The only problem is, they're going to drop it. So, what can I do to try to protect the plastics? Is it even worth it, or should I just invest in zip ties?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Found the answer myself really, waste of a post http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Frame_sliders . The ones on new enough are loving 215 bucks tho... http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/parts/frame_sliders__crash_kits/shogun_motorsports/kawasaki_motorcycle_crash_kit.html the way the plastics are no cuts are a bitch I guess. What's a set of non painted plastics run, poo poo I'll just put those on till they get the hang of it. I'm starting to miss my half naked and I haven't even gotten rid of it yet.

Oh, and that "no cut" isn't even a no cut. The bracket no cuts just seem like they'd be junk...I dunno I guess I'll have to try to see some.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 23, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Ola posted:

Dabbing with a brush or dripping it on, then wiping oil and grime off with a rag makes for a very dirty process which is annoying when touring. I have 15 000 miles on my non-brand chain lubed with non-brand PTFE spray and cleaned now and then. Maybe I could make 20 000 with gear oil, maybe I could make 15 000 with no maintenance at all, but it was cheap, clean enough (the grime that builds up washes off easily) and easy. Chain is still servicable but sprockets are starting to hook.

I thought about paintbrush/gear oil for the next set if I could transport it in a compact package that doesn't smear oil on anything it comes near.

I bought some generic chain lube and then saw posts praising PTFE sprays so I bought a can of that but have yet to try it, though one of the bikes does need a touch up. I hope it stays on better than the generic stuff, otherwise I might have to try gear oil.

Really, I'm looking for whatever will give me the least amount of hassle and least amount of mess. Gear oil sounds like it might be the way to go, I'll just have to make sure I run about 1000 miles with it before I tell the old man, cause I'm sure he'll have objections haha.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I began riding as a "backroad only" rider, every ride was for pleasure and fun specifically away from traffic. I couldn't comprehend why people would want to deal with that, I just wanted to have fun. Now, I'll take the bike anywhere. I enjoy the simple act of operating the bike. I'm in the best position then, for the annoyance of traffic. You don't have the climate control or the stereo, but you do have a quick and fun and probably nimble way to get from place to place. Once you spend time learning how to ride defensively and put yourself in the safest position on the road, annoying traffic riding transforms into the only way I'd want to commute, then as a bonus I have it for fun as well!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Zelda posted:

I'm wondering, should I worry about having trouble with the bikes that might be at the classes if I have a bit of trouble lifting? Are they generally heavy bikes? Maybe I should start lifting something with my arms.

You don't have anything to worry about. They all use small, very light bikes, and on top of that they showed us how to lift a tipped bike and got the smallest person in the class to do it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Why lower a dual sport? Unless the person is really short, that seems like a poor mod for a buyer. Learn to 1 foot it :colbert:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Take the curvy road for sure...just ride your pace.

As for earphones, check state laws. I ride with two in sometimes, you can still hear enough to hear emergencies/whathaveyou and anything else is drowned out by wind noise anyway. When I don't use headphones and I know I'll be at speeds greater than 45 or so I pop in ear plugs too. Wind noise is one of those things that I never noticed until I used ear plugs, and now I love them to the point of pulling over to pop a pair in if I'd forgotten to.

Some states have it restricted to 1 or none though.

Edit: according to this, you good.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 17, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You guys are some strict sellers but it's an attitude I've run into before, just not when buying thankfully.

I test rode a ton of bikes when I was first looking 5 years ago or so, and I don't think we ran into a seller that didn't let a 20 year old new rider take it out. I had my dad with me and waiting there, but we never had any money and nothing changed hands. Irony was that I was a new rider and timid and taking it super easy, trying to find my bike. Dad would take them out and see what they had, heh.

During a recent trade we met somewhere, showed we were insured, and traded licenses and then just went for a little ride. Fact is, for me, if they bin it, they bin it and even having the guy's cash in hand isn't a guarantee if he or she doesn't want to pay. It'll weed a lot of people out tho.

Vet the person before you let them on your bike, seems simple enough. I haven't had a bad experience yet, I guess.

Off the top of my head I rode an old CBR600 (with a bitchin' dragon paintjob on the sides, epic), GS500, XJ Seca, Honda 919(don't know what my dad was thinking here), Suzuki Katana, FZ6, Rebel 250, some small Suzuki V-twin cruiser, SV650, Honda 599...I'm sure I could think of a few more if I sat and thought.

And I wasn't joy-riding, this was over a period of a few months and aside from the 919 I could have ended up on any of them. Some the sellers wanted too much (the XJ, GS, and CBR come to memory), some were hosed up(the Katana had been in an accident for sure, and the SV had poorly done mods), and the rest were just the wrong bike.

Oh! An old Suzuki or Yamaha UJM too...they keep coming to me. CB750 too.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 19, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Why would you keep a toolkit in someone's stomach?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's a big bummer but sometimes you have to just take it on the chin and pick the best of the poo poo options you have. It sucks to sell it off when you feel like you're getting screwed, but if the other option is getting more screwed, well, sometimes life sucks. Going to used only isn't that bad, sure you end up with a bike others have ridden (and sometimes never maintained) but at least they take the financial hit.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I've ridden tons of bikes with no cash, and let others ride when we were trading them with just insurance/license trading. Really, I think it comes down to vetting the individual, though if you want to be safer the cash in hand isn't a bad idea.

Being that about 1/10 people around here wear gear, and most of those 1/10 are helmet only, when a guy showed up to ride my bike on his bike and in race leathers(knee pucks and all on a bike with a flat centered rear and 1 1/2" of unspent rubber on either side, hah, can't be too safe tho), I didn't feel apprehensive at all about letting him on it.

He even told me to open his bike up a bit to see what it'd do, so I really think it comes down to the person. I wouldn't let someone with little experience spouting poo poo near my bike either, but luckily an FZ6 or 250 isn't the top of the boy racer 1st bike list. GIXXER DUDE.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm looking for tires and advice. What do people usually use on something like an FZ6? I was thinking Pilot Powers, what do people think of them? They seem to get decent reviews, and really anything at this point will be a huge improvement.

The tread on my rear is nearly gone, but I've been putting it off and riding another bike. I took it out today and it slipped a bit when turning and doubled my heartrate. I actually looked, and they're the original tires on an '04 with around 8000 miles on them :psyduck: 4603 were the last 4 digits on the rear tire...

It was bought in '06 and I could have sworn my dad put new rubber on it when he was riding it, before he got a new bike and I took this. I never looked closely and just always thought they were the second set and just getting low. No wonder they haven't been giving me much confidence.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

nsap:
I'd just look at getting some pilot roads or whatever is the equivalent from other makers.

Ziploc: probably really depends on the bike, generally leaving a petcock to prime shouldn't cause any harm

That looks more practical for me, longer tire life and I doubt I need the extra stickiness.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A bike cover.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A guy put his army cousin's '04 FZ6 on a local board for 4500 starting, and dropped it to 4000 not long ago after no bites.

I don't get it, 30 seconds on craigslist would show them that the bike is closer to 3k and that there are much newer FZ6s going for around 4k.

"adult driven" though...

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Snowdens Secret posted:

It also has to do with (at least in the US) when you're turning hard left on a twisty road, psychologically you have room if you need it in the left lane, whereas the right side is filled with guard rails/mailboxes/trees/the mountain and may have reduced visibility. So you take left turns harder.

This is true, but I think the OP was describing something different as they were saying the right side was worn more?

Also, this happens just because left turns are longer for RHD countries, so you spend more time on the left side of the tire. If the OP is in the LHD country than it sounds about right.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You can also use another part of the bars to help keep the throttle steady, like the bar ends or a smooth part on the starter/kill switch piece. I mainly do it at slow speeds, but just sliding a finger or two onto the bar ends makes it easier to keep the throttle in the same place relative to the bars. Likewise with using your thumb on the inside. Just giving yourself somewhere on the bar to hold onto that isn't the throttle makes it easier to keep the throttle steady for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The gas tank will in fact leak some vapor into the atmosphere from time to time, thru a vent.