Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalamazoo
May 23, 2006

Look at my hands! They're Flying!
I just bought a gs450s tank that I'm hoping to restore but it has serious rust issues inside and out. It's pretty mild, nothing flaking off or anything but it's widespread and I'd still like to do something about it before I install on my bike.

I've heard mixed things about 'Kreem' as a sealant and the only other I know of is something called 'red kote'. I intend to get the rust out by electrolysis with a car charger and an iron anode, but after I do what kind of sealant should I get? Or should I not do any of this because there is a better answer? Would a picture of it make any difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalamazoo
May 23, 2006

Another question:

I have recently swapped stock gs450l cruiser bars for what are basically drag bars, (3" or so of drop /pullback) and I love being lower on the bike, but rewiring everything has been awful, especially the throttle cable. I want my throttle cable to look like this:

but instead they keep doing this

and I'm sure the reason is that the new bars require a MUCH steeper angle to the triple camp than the little plastic 'J bend' provides. you can see what I mean here

I can't imagine I'm the only person here who has installed clubman's or drag bars and run into this issue, so how have you guys dealt with it?

Kalamazoo
May 23, 2006

Z3n posted:

You should be able to route them out more, in such a fashion that they don't come in at such an extreme angle.

Otherwise, electrical/duct tape around the end to keep it straight. It looks like your cable guides might actually be broken.

Yep, quite broken, which is what I'm trying to avoid. I've broken two now and don't want to order another without some kind of fix.

The grip is only 6 or 7 inches out from the clamps, and about an inch below them. The cable comes out the bottom and the j bend keeps it pointing down, so there isn't much room to route it for a more gentle bend. So far I'm thinking tape reinforcement or torching the bend of one of the old ones and seeing if I can steepen the bend while it's hot and malleable. If so I'll by a new one and do it to it.

Kind of edit: I went out and stared at it for a while before I hit post and yeah, I think if I run it low across the clamps behind the headlight it might work too... Thanks for making me go out and look again, simple answers are the best ones.

E2: @ Sanchez, my thoughts exactly