Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
As a new rider, a Ninja 250 will put the fear of god into you. Its more then capable up to highway speeds, though you'll have to plan out your passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So I want to power things off my bike. Is it just a matter of hooking up a fuse box to my battery and plugging things in there? Think GPS/Ham radio/camera/ipod charger type stuff. Also how much can I safely pull from my 250 without having to worry about ending up with a dead battery?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

CGameProgrammer posted:

Are you talking about when the motorcycle is on or off? If the former, it depends entirely on the current of the alternator. If the latter, it depends on the capacity in amp-hours of the battery.

Former, I'd just unplug/remove said devices from the bike when it's not running.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I just ran down to the homedepot and bought 7ft of the thickest chain they had, and a solid lock. The Honda Shadow a few buildings down is polished to a high shine and isn't locked to anything so I think I'm set. ;)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

For what it's worth I was a heartbeat away from jumping on this deal
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/899940173.html
a few weeks ago; however after reading up a bit on vfrworld, apparently some of the parts are starting to get really hard to find. They look awesome though, esp. in the tricolor scheme.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Plain white helmets rule.
Also this:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Headlight modulators, yes or no? I've only seen it once on the road but it caught my attention real quick.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Whatever I'm mounting one of these to increase my visibility.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 8, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Related question, I've got a ram mount for my digital camera; what can I use to protect the lens from bugs/rocks? Its a Canon Powershot SD1100IS, if it matters.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 12, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Christoff posted:

I saw them mentioned. Obviously it sounds like a bad idea but there's ones that only block certain DBs right?

So I don't just have a crappy helmet? :v:

Aside from saving your hearing, it also makes riding way more comfortable.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Charun posted:

Is it normal for the oil light to come on during heavy braking? I'm using 5W-40 oil, and it's at the right level. Is there a possibility of this hurting my engine?

I'm riding a zzr-250 (a ninja 250 with fairings).

You're probably a little low on oil. That happened to me once after a 3-400 mile highway trip, and after I topped off the oil it stopped happening.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

I tag my brake as people come up behind me, and do a bunch of other little things to try and get people to notice me.

Stop light light show.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Ola posted:

Rider to pillion. Each one has their own cellphone with the handsfree set (wire to earplugs) that came with the phone. Phone gets paired to some device, talky talky ensues. All I can find being sold is bluetooth headsets, I don't need that.

This would work bike to bike as well, but obviously limited by bluetooth range.

But I don't think it can be done. :( Even if the phone is perfectly capable of sending and receiving bluetooth data and perfectly capable of handling talky talky, it doesn't do both to another device. Just internal phone functions to headset.

You could just get some cheap 2way radios; not ideal if you still want to be able to use your phone though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

TheUltimateCool posted:

Sweet, thanks guys. Goo Gone will be the very next thing I try, although I sort of feel like inviting the engineers at Goo Gone over to take a look at this stuff. If it pulls it off I will be thoroughly impressed.

Thanks!

I have the same crap on my bike, goo gone works but remember to also use their patented formula elbow grease.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

He's just trying to get to Valhalla.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I'm buying a Pit Bull newfront stand on craigslist for cheap. Do I need the rear stand as well or should the center stand on the ninja250 be fine for supporting the bike? I plan on working on the brakes and changing the tire.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

OrangeFurious posted:

Yeah, I ride an '07 Thruxton. It's a great bike and I've been happy with it. The 865cc parallel twin might be disappointing to someone coming from sport-bike background, but stock it has enough power to keep things interesting. Just don't expect an OMG liter bike roflcopter. I've had mild performance upgrades on mine and it now has more power than I care to use. It's comfortable, reliable, handles well, and as you pointed out looks amazing. Most people who ask about it assume it's either vintage or completely custom.

That bike looks amazing, how comfortable would it be for touring? Keep in mind I'm coming from a Ninja 250.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

chryst posted:

Yay! I'm first at something!

I had 2 motorcycles in my garage for a little while, yay!

That lasted 2 hours, cause a guy from Craigslist bought the GPz 2 hours after that pic was taken.

I tried to get an angle that's a bit different from the marketing:

Show us the space pants. (Nice Bike)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

You have a larger gas tank? because with 30~mpg, and the 2.5gallon tank that the internet says the drz has. Well I'd find a 75-80mile range to be a pain.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I like those, but they remind me of this:

Click here for the full 1842x855 image.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

MrZig posted:

Where can I find a red circular lense like the one in this picture?

That's off a GS500. I'm adding a new light to my own bike and I need one as close to that as possible. I just don't know where to even start looking.

somebody parting out a GS500?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

OrangeCrush posted:

Question to motorcycle goons, would you ride from Florida to Connecticut on a 96 rebel 250?

If its in good mechanical shape, hell yes.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

OrangeCrush posted:

I am in the keys now, bought a one way ticket, and saw a rebel on cl for 1300/bo, if i can get it for a grand, I will take the trip. Id rather mail my luggage back and take a journey instead of buying a plane ticket back. What would i do about registration though? I am a CT resident.

new tires you hear me!

I'd be leery of attempting a 1k+ mile doom march on a bike with unknown history. That said Pink custom paint should get you through.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Also how many miles is reasonable to cover in a day?

CoolBlue posted:

That is HIGHLY dependent on what you're riding.

Z3n posted:

And who you are.

More

Fake Edit:
It all really depends on your rear end.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 23, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

dongsweep posted:

For your edit I wish I could find a 'national' route of best roads but so far the best I have done is an individual state search and try to incorporate them on the route or in place of a route.

I wish google maps had a suggestion 'best motorcycle route' like they do for avoid interstates, avoid toll roads, etc.

If you just click avoid highways you'll be 90% ahead of the crowd.

FakeEDIT: And you load your mp3 player full of journey.

RealEdit: Way out of the way, but US191 Springerville - Clifton. You won't regret it.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 23, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

On this same note, are there any good motorcycle cell phone mounts? I have an AT&T Tilt with Garmin installed on it, and I'd like to be able to use it to navigate, but I dont have a good way to securely mount it.

Ram Mount, I'd be surprised if there was anything they couldn't mount.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

The EX250 actually has 2 helmet locks, the one that you're concerned about using and one that mounts to the top of the subframe.

I've never noticed another helmet lock. Where is the second one on the subframe, and are you sure it exists?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

For what it's worth there's a 12v accessory wire under the front fairing on the EX250.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

What's a decent low cost brand for front brake pads on an EX250? I'm getting a new front tire installed and they wanted to change the pads as well, but like hell I'm paying $100 to get new pads put in. I see a handful of sites selling "SBS," "Galfer" and some others I haven't heard of for $25-30. Are any of those ok?

There's also this "Pyramid Parts" set for $14 on eBay

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_replacement_pads_should_I_consider%3F

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Convince him to get an SV650S?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

jujube posted:

I've given him plenty of pillion rides on my SV but for some reason he wants something else. Something goes VROOM VROOM and looks like a spacerocket.

I wouldn't mind if it was any other person but he just doesn't seem to be interested in bikes except for the VROOM and the looks. Gah, oh well.

Ninja650r

(the r is how he knows its fast)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Are gel grips worth it? I apparently damaged a nerve while riding, and thus would like something better then the stock grips. I'm looking at Progrips 716. No I wasn't death gripping the bars either.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Ola posted:

Any opinions on cramp busters / throttle rockers? I bought one figuring I'd give that a try before I look further into raising my bars (I get throttle hand fatigue on longer hauls).

Haven't tried riding with it yet, but it seemed like crap and it would just slip on the grip. I guess the spring force is pretty high, which is part of my fatigue issues.

I've heard it mentioned as problematic with regards to inadvertent throttle application and so on, hence my question.

I just bought one myself, and took an extended ride on it a week or two ago. Due to its design when you push down on it, it actually tightens its grip on the throttle so it won't slip while applying throttle. You can however adjust it by pushing it up (and thus closing the throttle), this way you can set it to whatever throttle position you want. I could see some inadvertent throttle application when first getting used to it, but after using it for a bit it wasn't too difficult to use. The one caveat, is I found it a bitch to use in around town traffic because as I ride a 250 I have to set it to have a large portion of the throttle open while cruising on the highway, and very little while cruising on the surface streets around town. This means that after setting it to use on the highway, if I exited the highway the rocker was just getting in the way while going slower around town. This might not be a problem on a bigger bike with more power as you could get in the right gear to make it work though.

I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5 stars, only because its so cheap.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Texas does, but its kinda a joke

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

Man that's bs. Californa (capital of government bs) I'm guessing?

Hmm well the purchase price was pretty low because it has expensive damage to it, yep.

Texas does this too, though I think it's a flat $20, if you mark gift.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

wrong thread :(

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Oceanlife posted:

I'm sick of wearing a backpack when I ride, at high speeds it sucks. What kind of aftermarket storage is available for a ninja 250 that doesn't mess up the aerodynamics of the bike? I'm looking to carry (at most) a few folders, a wallet, and a phone.

I'd recommend saddle bags, as they're just too drat convenient. Though if you want something aerodynamic almost any tank bag will work for you, doubly so if you want to carry passengers, as a tank bag would rule that out.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

After you get the seat off, ninja250.org has a pretty good walk though of the process.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_clean_the_air_filter(s)%3F

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Jack the Smack posted:

So then why does a bike wheelie up easier when in first gear than in second? Magics?

:science: Science! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

With the right gearing, a vacuum, and a long enough road, my 250 could reach escape velocity.

edit: and a throttle locker because gently caress if I'm holding it open for hours on end

edit2: ride this poo poo to the moon

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 5, 2009