Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.

Demagogue posted:

You have a food blog?

I'll post the link once I get some loving content. I don't want to link to an empty blog :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Gentleman J posted:

Really? I'm curious about this. I kind of want to try it, but I don't want to risk ruining a batch of carbonara without being more informed. What exactly does it do for the flavor? Isn't the alcohol still present if you're adding it at the end?

I tend to mix everything pretty quickly, so the pasta is warm enough to cook off the alcohol. And I'm only talking a capful or so here, nothing drastic.

Flavor wise, gives the dish a subtle buttery/fruity aroma that blends really well with the pancetta. Believe me, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Instead of pancetta, I use hot Italian sausage

sdhfgwsds
Nov 12, 2003
How does this hold up for leftovers? I'd probably just be cooking for myself, so can this survive refrigerating/microwaving considering that it's made with raw egg?

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

sdhfgwsds posted:

How does this hold up for leftovers? I'd probably just be cooking for myself, so can this survive refrigerating/microwaving considering that it's made with raw egg?

It does not keep well. In fact, I wouldn't recommend eating it more than 30 minutes after preparation. Not because of the egg -- the egg is mostly cooked anyway -- but because the texture just goes to poo poo once the dish cools down and everything solidifies. Any attempt to reheat it will result in a textural nightmare.

This is one of those foods where you make enough to feed those at dinner, and nothing more. It's easily scalable so it should be a non-issue. (incidentally, the recipe as written serves about 4)

Empathetic
Aug 29, 2004
I made this last night and it was insane how tasty it was thanks for posting to recipe its now in my collection of pastas to make.

BustedFlush
Oct 9, 2008
Holy crap that looks amazing. So wait - you can make pasta out of regular flour???

Why did I think it had to be made out of Italian semolina flour? Now I HAVE to try that! I was looking on line and those hand crank pasta machines are only like $30.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

We usually cook it so that we pull the pasta off/drain it, throw on the hot oil with garlic cooked in, and then throw in the egg mixture. We always figured that the hot oil caused the eggs to cook onto the pasta... are we doing it wrong, or does it just not cook the eggs at all?

sdhfgwsds
Nov 12, 2003

The Jizzer posted:

It does not keep well. In fact, I wouldn't recommend eating it more than 30 minutes after preparation. Not because of the egg -- the egg is mostly cooked anyway -- but because the texture just goes to poo poo once the dish cools down and everything solidifies. Any attempt to reheat it will result in a textural nightmare.

This is one of those foods where you make enough to feed those at dinner, and nothing more. It's easily scalable so it should be a non-issue. (incidentally, the recipe as written serves about 4)

That's about what I expected, thanks. I'm gonna make it anyway. :)

Take it Sleazy
Sep 7, 2004

i thought you weren't allowed to make threads
I always use a little bit of finely diced onion instead of garlic. An important part that I think is often under emphasized is the black pepper. At least when I've made it, it's been almost spicy, and the key is adding a lot of very finely ground black pepper.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

The Jizzer posted:

I usually eat the leftovers we have at work the next day but yeah, its not great.

Eye_Pennies
Dec 25, 2005

when allowed to accumulate days fuck you over

BustedFlush posted:

Holy crap that looks amazing. So wait - you can make pasta out of regular flour???

Why did I think it had to be made out of Italian semolina flour? Now I HAVE to try that! I was looking on line and those hand crank pasta machines are only like $30.

Ive always made my pasta with half 00 strong flour and half fine grain semolina. I dont think the texture would be epic with regular flour but it'd work.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

Without 00 and/or semolina flour the pasta doesn't get that firm "bite" but it's still a nice departure from store bought.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
Thank you good sir, this dish is one of the foods I miss the most since I spent a summer living in Rome, looking at what is passed off at most places as carbonara I generally can't bring myself to order it.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

I've put this recipe up on my food blog. More are following.

http://gast.rono.me

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Let the eggs get to room temperature and they wont curdle as easily. I only use the yolks, so i add a tiny bit of the pasta cooking water to thin them out and temper them (also helps keep them from curdling).

i also deglaze the pan with a tiny bit of white wine which adds a little bit of acidity to counter the xxxxtreme richness of the bacon and eggs.

somethingawesomer
Nov 16, 2005

OP: I actually added you on Yelp a few days ago, how weird! Liz R.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
I'm about to try this, but I'm using fresh tagliatelle from the little trattoria I work at, hope it pans out well.

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008
I've wanted to try this for so long because it looks and sounds amazing but the only thing that's keeping me from it is the eggs. I abhor eggs. Does it have an eggy taste, or is the egg just used as a thickener/sauce?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

What are these pies posted:

I've wanted to try this for so long because it looks and sounds amazing but the only thing that's keeping me from it is the eggs. I abhor eggs. Does it have an eggy taste, or is the egg just used as a thickener/sauce?

stop disliking eggs that's a problem in your brain.

no, it doesn't taste "eggy" the eggs are the basis for the sauce. make it, it's just about the perfect meal.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
Where the hell can I find pancetta, and how much am I forsaking the gods if I just use bacon?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
you can use bacon you just shouldn't, you can get pancetta at any italian market or failing that whole foods

jizzer I'm running your thread

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

-Bill Belichick

Zuph posted:

Where the hell can I find pancetta, and how much am I forsaking the gods if I just use bacon?

I don't know about supermarkets, but any Italian market should have it. Call around. And despite the tastiness of bacon, pancetta is just so much better.

E,F,B: I hate you LoS. :(

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

-Bill Belichick
Currently eating this.

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008

Lord of Space posted:

stop disliking eggs that's a problem in your brain.

no, it doesn't taste "eggy" the eggs are the basis for the sauce. make it, it's just about the perfect meal.

I'll try it ASAP. And you'd hate eggs too, after a bad experience with a century egg!

Prophaniti
Oct 2, 2008

Do you lie awake at night fearing my gash?
Thats a nice simple recipy, and it tasted deliciuos, just made it.

Me and my girlfriend went to Rome on holliday and ate Carbonara at most midday lunches, I cook myself and was appalled at what was served as Carbonara in Rome. Greasy chunks of speck, oily spaghetti with little granulas of egg in between, perhaps I was unlucky with the places I went.

And now I moved to greenland... no Pancetta anywhere...

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

Prophaniti posted:

Me and my girlfriend went to Rome on holliday and ate Carbonara at most midday lunches, I cook myself and was appalled at what was served as Carbonara in Rome. Greasy chunks of speck, oily spaghetti with little granulas of egg in between, perhaps I was unlucky with the places I went.

Tourist food in Europe is notoriously bad. Tips: If they have picture menus, or if more than 20% of the patrons are speaking English, or if it's anywhere near a main square/tourist attraction, it probably sucks.

Best find a tiny hole in the wall with the rudest people imaginable. Inside you will find a revelation.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Currently eating some Carbonara. It's made with bacon and the green-shaker "parmesan cheese", but I didn't scramble the eggs this time (I've made it three or four times in the past before this thread)! It's a step in the right way.

A delicious step.

Elise
Jun 28, 2004

by SA Support Robot
I added your blog to my bookmarks. Looking forward to more recipes.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Um... I think you forgot to add your pasta recipe to your blog.

Did you use a pasta machine or just roll it out and cut it? I always wanted to try making fresh pasta but it's a little intimidating.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 13, 2008

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

-Bill Belichick
After creating this last night, we're making it again. Sadly this time, its Bacon, Some fresh Parmesan, and store bought pasta. Hoping its half as tasy, as I'm sure it will be. :D

Gentleman J
May 30, 2008
Personally, while I suppose the flavor can't compare to homemade, I prefer store-bought pasta to fresh for this recipe because the strands are thinner than what I could do and I think the round shape works better than the flat shape. Just my preference. Would be willing to try fresh though...

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

-Bill Belichick

That Which Squeaks posted:

After creating this last night, we're making it again. Sadly this time, its Bacon, Some fresh Parmesan, and store bought pasta. Hoping its half as tasy, as I'm sure it will be. :D

Results = still very good, not completely as tasty, but added a bit of onion to throw something more into it, and mmmm mmmm good.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I don't know how I didn't see this thread until now, because I haven't had an outlet for my spaghetti carbonara zealotry in a long time.

Zuph posted:

Where the hell can I find pancetta,
I live in the middle of goddamn nowhere and I can still find pancetta at Wal-Mart; they also have it at the Hy-Vee here.

quote:

and how much am I forsaking the gods if I just use bacon?
A whole lot. Once you do it right, you never go back.

you'd think i was a shill for rick stein or something as much as i love posting this loving video

scythide
Aug 8, 2003

Normal?
Use bucatini pasta for a nice change of pace from spaghetti.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
To my shame I used to buy crappy tubs of "Carbonara" sauce - full of cream and god knows what else. But then a few years ago I saw an Italian chef on tv make carbonara the proper way and have never looked back.

I make it pretty much like the OP's recipe but without garlic and I add a pinch of nutmeg. Sometimes I can't find decent pancetta so I use bacon. It is much better with pancetta though.

Gentleman J
May 30, 2008

Beep Street posted:

To my shame I used to buy crappy tubs of "Carbonara" sauce - full of cream and god knows what else.

Oh god, knowing that exists makes me queasy. The OP is right. This is one of those Purity things. Carbonara is so drat good, but also so drat bad for you that you're just better off learning how to make it well. Make it worth the calories.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

Gentleman J posted:

Oh god, knowing that exists makes me queasy. The OP is right. This is one of those Purity things. Carbonara is so drat good, but also so drat bad for you that you're just better off learning how to make it well. Make it worth the calories.

Same thing with Alfredo sauce. I never, ever order this because I inevitably get Elmer's glue with pasta.

BustedFlush
Oct 9, 2008

The Jizzer posted:

Same thing with Alfredo sauce. I never, ever order this because I inevitably get Elmer's glue with pasta.

Pfft, you call this carbonara? Where's the cream? Where are the peas and red onions? Where's the BACON for chrisakes? This is NOTHING like the Penne Cabonara I had at Olive Garden!

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Made this tonight, turned out loving fantastic, thanks Jizzer!

Only thing I fiddled with was adding a healthy pinch of crushed red pepper and a cup of peas. I don't care if peas are an american bastardization or whatever. I like peas.

Very similar to the pasta, pancetta, and peas recipe I made up after watching Lidia B. do pasta with black pepper. Just a lot richer. I think I might cut it down to one egg and go back to adding a good bit of starchy pasta water, so I end up with something in between the two dishes on the richness scale.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 14, 2008