Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I should have clarified that my two previous questions were (mostly) unrelated. I asked the first so I could experiment some with a porter and stout grainbill and the second was because I wanted a slight chocolate taste in a medium-brown mild ale I'm planning, so too much chocolate malt probably isn't an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I don't think I saw this posted yet. Some guy on BA took a gravity reading of some Dark Lord that had been degassed and warmed to 60*. Seems like there could be other factors throwing off the reading to me, but nothing specific I can think of

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
It's not surprising really, 2011 Dark Lord is a sugar bomb right now. In another year or so it ought to be down in the 1020s.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Glad I didn't crack any of my bottles then. I'm hoping not to touch them until 2012 or later.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tedronai66 posted:

Maybe I'm a retard and don't know how to read this thread, but did you post the recipe here?

I saw you did AG, so for the mean time, I'd have to convert to extract. But drat that looks like a good winter beer to make.

I didn't post the recipe, but will do so now!

8.0 lb 2-Row Pale Malt
2.0 lb Alder Smoked Munich Malt
1.0 lb Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb Flaked Barley
0.5 lb Crystal Malt 60L
0.5 lb Crystal Malt 80L
0.5 lb Special Roast
0.75 oz Challenger Hops (60 minute)
0.30 oz Kent Golding Hops (15 minute)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 minute)
1 vial WLP002 (English Ale)

4 oz Maltodextrin (added to bottling bucket)
1/4 cup Maple Extract (added to bottling bucket, but is probably best left out, since it became completely unrecognizable anyway)

Notes:
Step mashed 20 minutes each at 140, 150, 160.
OG = 1.065
FG = 1.013
ABV = ~6.8% (A little less probably due to the addition of Maltodextrin?)

As I said, I didn't use enough water, and ended up with only 12x750mL bottles. One we drank today, one we already gave away. We will be popping a new one every 2 weeks to see how it ages over the next few months. Making it through the first few weeks without drinking more is going to be hard, since it is the only brew ready right now. :)

Honey Ginger Ale is bottled and carbing:

So is the Kolsch-Style Ale:

The Ginger Ale was SUPER sharp at bottling, so I imagine it will need a month or two to chill out, but the Kolsch was was drat tasty even warm and flat.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don't really know anything about Dark Lord, but using Beersmith's ABV calculator and BeerAdvocate's claim that it's 15%, it started at goddam 1.160. For a beer that huge, 1.050 isn't actually outrageously high. Either that or their claim of 15% is way off. Or do they use tricks like freezing the beer, eisbock style?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

RiggenBlaque posted:

I don't think I saw this posted yet. Some guy on BA took a gravity reading of some Dark Lord that had been degassed and warmed to 60*. Seems like there could be other factors throwing off the reading to me, but nothing specific I can think of

I see bubbles so I'll bet its not outgassed. One of my friends did it once and measured 1.028.
To tell if its carbonation thats holding it up put the hydro in the test tube and tap it down and let it bob a few times, if it quickly settles on something and then slowly rises then its the carbonation.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If it was really stuck at 1.05+ that is a guaranteed bottle bomb, right? That's around where most of my beers start! And they produce A Lot of co2.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah, and if it did bottle condition from 1.052 to 1.020 I imagine it'd be packaged in something resembling a propane cylinder

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I don't really know anything about Dark Lord, but using Beersmith's ABV calculator and BeerAdvocate's claim that it's 15%, it started at goddam 1.160. For a beer that huge, 1.050 isn't actually outrageously high. Either that or their claim of 15% is way off. Or do they use tricks like freezing the beer, eisbock style?

I read somewhere that supposedly this year's batch was more like 9-10%

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

RiggenBlaque posted:

You will get in big trouble with alcohol regulators if your listed ABV is off by more than 0.2 or 0.3%, its a requirement in the US.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

RiggenBlaque posted:

Yeah you get in all kinds of trouble with the ATF if your stated ABV is more than a few tenths off either way. Taxes, per state legality, etc. are all determined by alcohol content.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Doom Rooster posted:

I didn't post the recipe, but will do so now!

8.0 lb 2-Row Pale Malt
2.0 lb Alder Smoked Munich Malt
1.0 lb Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb Flaked Barley
0.5 lb Crystal Malt 60L
0.5 lb Crystal Malt 80L
0.5 lb Special Roast
0.75 oz Challenger Hops (60 minute)
0.30 oz Kent Golding Hops (15 minute)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 minute)
1 vial WLP002 (English Ale)

4 oz Maltodextrin (added to bottling bucket)
1/4 cup Maple Extract (added to bottling bucket, but is probably best left out, since it became completely unrecognizable anyway)

Notes:
Step mashed 20 minutes each at 140, 150, 160.
OG = 1.065
FG = 1.013
ABV = ~6.8% (A little less probably due to the addition of Maltodextrin?)

thanks! I'll either try using beersmith to convert to extract or wait until i have an AG setup.

e:

rage-saq posted:

You will get in big trouble with alcohol regulators if your listed ABV is off by more than 0.2 or 0.3%, its a requirement in the US.

Oh, America. How stupid you can be sometimes. While it should be near what you say, many liquor laws here are way too puritanical.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Tedronai66 posted:

Oh, America. How stupid you can be sometimes. While it should be near what you say, many liquor laws here are way too puritanical.

I don't agree that requiring the ABV labelling to be accurate is puritanical. As far as I'm concerned it's like the nutrition information label - I believe consumers have a right to know what is in the food they're buying and to have an idea of what kind of quantities they have present, especially intoxicants like alcohol. Food labelling is all kinds of screwy in this country for other reasons, but requiring ABV labelling to be accurate is a step in the right direction (even if it is for selfish tax reasons).

Hoyt
Mar 23, 2005

Too cool for school
But wouldn't you agree that a living bottle of beer might need to get an exception? Not that I disagree with you that it should be as close as possible given the circumstances. I guess it's impossible to assume that the buyer of a beer like Dark Lord would really understand what they're getting.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

crazyfish posted:

I don't agree that requiring the ABV labelling to be accurate is puritanical. As far as I'm concerned it's like the nutrition information label - I believe consumers have a right to know what is in the food they're buying and to have an idea of what kind of quantities they have present, especially intoxicants like alcohol. Food labelling is all kinds of screwy in this country for other reasons, but requiring ABV labelling to be accurate is a step in the right direction (even if it is for selfish tax reasons).

I'm moreso leaning toward some states not being able to sell beers over x% ABV, tax rate based on ABV (imo it should be a flat tax for different types of drinks, but that'd never work), etc. I agree we should know what we buy, but beers that get refermented in bottle, etc, are harder to get accurate numbers on.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hoyt posted:

But wouldn't you agree that a living bottle of beer might need to get an exception?

No

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Tedronai66 posted:

I'm moreso leaning toward some states not being able to sell beers over x% ABV, tax rate based on ABV (imo it should be a flat tax for different types of drinks, but that'd never work), etc. I agree we should know what we buy, but beers that get refermented in bottle, etc, are harder to get accurate numbers on.

Generally a bottle-conditioned beer that increases by more than 0.2-0.3% is going to be a bomb or at least a fountain of foam, and if you account for that much change due to carbonation it's not actually hard to be accurate.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
And if it's bottle-conditioned, they know how much fermentable sugar they're adding to carbonate it. They can figure it out. It's not like the amount of alcohol in the bottle is an ever-changing, unknowable number.

And they should figure it out - people ought to be able to trust that info about their food and drinks is correct.

Lrrr
Jan 17, 2010
Where do I go from here?

Does anyone have experience with wild hops? Bitterness will be hard to estimate I guess so probably better of using it for flavor/aroma and use commercial hops for bittering? Are all cones female, if not how do I tell them apart? Can you use them fresh or do you have to dry them first? If you can use them fresh whats the fresh:dried conversion ratio?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

You can use them wet, but you have to use a shitload more cause I think they're 80+% water. Like, two ounces of fresh hops is the equivalent to .25oz dried leaves.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

indigi posted:

You can use them wet, but you have to use a shitload more cause I think they're 80+% water. Like, two ounces of fresh hops is the equivalent to .25oz dried leaves.

Pellitized is even less than that, since they're ground/compressed leaves.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My LHBS has fuggles so I have 60g (2.1oz) golding and same amount of fuggles. I've adjusted my kinda-sorta-english-bitter recipe:

0.5lb 45L crystal
0.5lb 77L crystal
steep for 30min at ~150

7lb pale LME
1oz fuggles @ 60min
1oz golding @ 20min
1oz each fuggles and golding @ 5min

Any suggestions? I'm excited to brew this

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mewse posted:

My LHBS has fuggles so I have 60g (2.1oz) golding and same amount of fuggles. I've adjusted my kinda-sorta-english-bitter recipe:

0.5lb 45L crystal
0.5lb 77L crystal
steep for 30min at ~150

7lb pale LME
1oz fuggles @ 60min
1oz golding @ 20min
1oz each fuggles and golding @ 5min

Any suggestions? I'm excited to brew this

Looks pretty good. I assume you'll use a British yeast?

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
If you use Wyeast's 1338 European Ale like i am now, be aware it is slowwwwww.

11 days after pitching and its only down to 1.024 from 1.053. I gave the fermenter some gentle rocking tonight to try and get it going.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

WLP002/007 supremacy

mewse
May 2, 2006

j3rkstore posted:

If you use Wyeast's 1338 European Ale like i am now, be aware it is slowwwwww.

11 days after pitching and its only down to 1.024 from 1.053. I gave the fermenter some gentle rocking tonight to try and get it going.

I'm going to use some nottingham I farmed from my last batch. My LHBS for some reason only had dried windsor and apparently it doesn't convert as well and is more temperature sensitive.

Another question: One of my fav local brews uses ginger and lemongrass, does anyone have any experience with those ingredients? They say its an Asian-style lager using rice but I think I'm going to ignore that part and make a sorta-IPA but with less hops and add the ginger+lemongrass, but I have no idea about quantity. Would I just grate fresh ginger root and add it for the last 5 minutes of the boil? Or "dry hop" the ginger? Any insight appreciated

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mewse posted:

Another question: One of my fav local brews uses ginger and lemongrass, does anyone have any experience with those ingredients? They say its an Asian-style lager using rice but I think I'm going to ignore that part and make a sorta-IPA but with less hops and add the ginger+lemongrass, but I have no idea about quantity. Would I just grate fresh ginger root and add it for the last 5 minutes of the boil? Or "dry hop" the ginger? Any insight appreciated

I do a ginger beer with 2lbs fresh grated ginger added throughout the boil, and a few ounces "dry hopped". It is VERY gingery (which is what I wanted), so that's an upper bound for you at least.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

So. Graham cracker porter.

code:

7.5 lbs Maris Otter
1.5 lbs Graham Crackers
1    lbs Flaked Oats
.75 lbs Chocolate Malt
.75 lbs Dark Crystal

I have no idea how to estimate the gravity contribution from the crackers, but it comes in around 1.050 without them. I'll hop to ~20-25 IBUs and ferment with Notty at around 64*. I'm looking for the flavor to be noticeable and will probably order or try to make a Graham cracker extract (vodka infusion?) for insurance at bottling. Any tips or critiques would be appreciated. I assume I'd have to drink through it relatively quickly due to the fat content, but maybe between the mash and boil it'll keep relatively well.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I do a ginger beer with 2lbs fresh grated ginger added throughout the boil, and a few ounces "dry hopped". It is VERY gingery (which is what I wanted), so that's an upper bound for you at least.

I've dug up your recipe in the thread and it helps me a lot to see what's worked with someone else. Thank you

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

indigi posted:

So. Graham cracker porter.

Can't you just look at the nutritional information and see how many grams of sugar there are per serving? Assuming you're in America, that's probably all corn syrup so I would assume you could get some sort of ballpark out of that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Sure, but there's also a bunch of starch and I've no idea how well (or if at all) the enzymes would convert that to sugar, or if they'll completely dissolve or not. I don't think I want to grind them into powder, but that might be the best way.

Maybe I should pick up some rice hulls.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

indigi posted:

Sure, but there's also a bunch of starch and I've no idea how well (or if at all) the enzymes would convert that to sugar, or if they'll completely dissolve or not. I don't think I want to grind them into powder, but that might be the best way.

Maybe I should pick up some rice hulls.

If it's in your mash and is ground/crushed it will be like any other starchy adjunct, I believe. Should convert pretty well.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

indigi posted:

WLP002/007 supremacy

I'll take WLP023 Burton Ale over any other British yeast any day. Soooo yummy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

rage-saq posted:

I'll have to give this a shot, then. Maybe in my next bitter.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Lrrr posted:

Does anyone have experience with wild hops? Bitterness will be hard to estimate I guess so probably better of using it for flavor/aroma and use commercial hops for bittering? Are all cones female, if not how do I tell them apart? Can you use them fresh or do you have to dry them first? If you can use them fresh whats the fresh:dried conversion ratio?

I've never used wild hops but I did recently use wet hops of undetermined origin I picked from my work. Just rip some open and make sure they smell good, I read somewhere that a lot of wild hops are Cluster and that's not the greatest hop variety. You've got the right idea to use them just for flavor/aroma since you can't know the bitterness.

You can use them without drying, but you have to use a lot more than you would if they were dried. I used 4 oz of wet hops which is a pretty large mass when you look at it, and it probably gave me the equivalent of 1 oz of pellet hops at most. I did it in a 4% ABV pale ale and I definitely should have used more. If I do it again I'm probably going to use at least a pound of hops with the same recipe. Just make sure you use enough bittering hops to make the beer good even if you get no contribution from your wild hops.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
On the plus side since the hops are hydrated you should have a lot less (negligible) wort loss from the hops.

Edit: dammit new page!

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

rage-saq posted:

Agreed. My default British yeast now, and I've pretty much only been brewing British ales recently.

For those that haven't used this yeast before, just know that it produces a lot of sulfur. I let my beers sit in primary an extra week and all the sulfur seems to be gone by then. The first time I used the Burton ale yeast and kegged after only a week. drat was there still a lot of sulfur left in that bitter.

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

mewse posted:

Docjowles posted:

2lbs would be pretty incredibly gingery. I did a ginger IPA several years ago with maybe 2oz or so of fresh ginger, which gave it a good ginger flavour that melded with but didn't overpower the beer.

I imagine with a light lager, you'd want to be careful you didn't destroy the weaker malt backbone of the beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Killer robot posted:

Generally a bottle-conditioned beer that increases by more than 0.2-0.3% is going to be a bomb or at least a fountain of foam, and if you account for that much change due to carbonation it's not actually hard to be accurate.
Lambics is where this gets bizarre. Here in Texas the TABC has some very precise requirements on ABV. Some of the lambics that filter out the critters before bottling (Lindemann's) are sold here, but the "real" ones don't. So I can only get the real stuff when I'm travelling. The problem is that it's hard for them to gauge what the true alcohol rating is given that there are so many other critters in the beer. Some of those critters are actually eating the alcohol too, and overall the byproducts are affecting the specific gravity such that the regular old formula just doesn't apply.

I still remember when I finished my big barrel of lambic. I took a hydrometer reading and it dropped down to the bottom. Yes, the hydrometer floated fine in water.

Speaking of which, what should I do with a barrel of lambic that's going on 4 years old now? Does the BJCP really, truthfully, rate unblended lambic well? This is some pretty powerful stuff now.