Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
where do you live that there is enough straight open road to "regularly" go over 200mph without slamming into the back of someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Upstate NY. There's a lot of space but I'm pretty sure the roads will kill a man. I have every pothole memorized on my normal routes. I90 is a few minutes away.

I'm not doing what he does. We do occasionally ride around and he rides normal with me 😅

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
That little bike is way more fun with the cam retarded a tooth, accounting for carb adjustments. It's letting way more air in at high RPMs and load, which means I can run a much larger jet, and the bike continues to make a fair amount of torque to 8500 rpm where centered timing it starts falling off at 6000.

Is there some kind of tool I can use to make sure like the intake valve isn't open super late during compression and blowing fuel out the intake? Or is that a bunch of physics and engine design? How do real mechanics degree a cam for performance?

It's been running off center I guess since I got it to no real bad effect. Most other people on Facebook groups report the same.

At the end of the day it's the difference between a bike that easily gets to 55 and climbs to 65, vs a bike that easily gets to 45 and honestly I don't know how fast it will go it sounds terrible, like a 4 stroke making 2 stroke noises.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 16, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Mmm...he does practice quick stopping a lot.
He had his ECU sent in for modifications. I know he's regularly going over 200mph. He rides around in full leathers. He knows how to ride well but I still think he's going to die.

Tell your friend to get a gopro.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 16, 2022

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Russian Bear posted:

I'm gonna call shenanigans on these.

Welp. I can't stop him. He's dragging knees and stuff in parking lots, wants to race professionally. Starting to do track days. He's a better rider than I, I can't get that low 😅

Russian Bear posted:

Tell your friend to get a gopro.

Yeah I've seen lovely cell videos. I'll mention it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 16, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Not sure where to put this and I don't consistently watch these, but cool as heck and short format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSiqQFIN6_U&ab_channel=S1GPChannel

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm pretty sure the speedo on a CBR1000RR doesn't go up to 200mph.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Speedo seems to cap at 299km/h, or 185mp/h:
https://www.bikesrepublic.com/featured/2020-honda-cbr1000rr-r-fireblade-sp-hits-299km-h-in-fourth-gear/

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Lungboy posted:

What country is that? In the UK you don't have to use main dealers to maintain a warranty, just have "official" parts used during any work.

Just in case anyone get caught out by this, my understanding is it applies to cars in the UK, but not motorcycles. https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2013/06/dealing-with-the-dealers/. If you want to maintain your motorcycles warranty in the UK it needs to be serviced by the dealer.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Megabook posted:

Just in case anyone get caught out by this, my understanding is it applies to cars in the UK, but not motorcycles. https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/motorbike-blog/2013/06/dealing-with-the-dealers/. If you want to maintain your motorcycles warranty in the UK it needs to be serviced by the dealer.

Oh wow, thanks for this and sorry for the misinformation. I struggle to see how that ruling applies to cars and not bikes, but IANAL.

e: on further reading I can find nothing to suggest that motorcycles aren't covered by the same law that means cars don't need to go to a main dealer. It's an EU-wide rule (which expires in May 2023) and covers all "motor vehicles". The only time that servicing *must* be done at a main dealer is if you buy an extended warranty.

e2: here's the wording from BMW:
BMW Motorrad always recommend BMW Retailer service.

If your motorcycle is covered by the manufacturer's two year Warranty, the motorcycle must be serviced according to the BMW service requirements and using BMW Motorrad Parts and Oil.

If the motorcycle has a BMW extended warranty it must be serviced by a BMW Motorrad Retailer.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 17, 2022

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry in that case if I'm talking crap. I've never had a bike new enough for it to matter, but that is what I had heard.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Big Rock Moto's Husky 901 saga continues:

quote:

You've asked for a Norden 901 update, so here it it. Just the facts. NOT trying to cause drama. First of all - I've never mentioned, during purchase OR service, that I am a moto-influencer person. So that's not coming into play here. Among other small issues, my shock failed at 1,500 miles. Called the dealer I bought from - "we don't have time to look at it, sorry". Hmmm... OK. Called another dealer, they looked at it within 5 days. Fixed my dashboard issue, and said they would order a new shock, but there is no ETA. Forced me to take the bike home with a broken shock, said they don't have room to store it as it could be a long time. I called KTM customer support the following week, they said they'd look into the issue and call me back. Never called back. Tried calling them 4 times since, always voicemail, they don't return my calls. So I've got about $17,000 of my business cash tied up in a bike I can't ride, evaluate or make videos with. With no ETA for a fix, and KTM won't even return my calls. This is now week 4 with a broken bike. Just the facts. The reason I purchase bikes for review is to go BEYOND the typical motorcycle review. If I don't share this info, you will say I am holding back. If I do share this info, you will say I am a KTM hater. So, I am the bad guy either way, but I am choosing to share the experience because Big Rock Moto is about transparency and journalistic reporting. I'll update when there is news to share going forward.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yikes. I've had a couple minor issues with my Super Duke in the one year/4k miles I've owned it. Nothing serious though.

Had some service lights come on after the shop replaced the tires and battery on my Super Duke. Fortunately, they were able to get a hold of KTM who told them they weren't using the right spec battery.

Bike also developed occasional issues with my exhaust servo which would put the bike into limp mode. That might have started after I replaced the exhaust though. Could have bumped the servo on screwed up the calibration? IDK, it was pretty easy to remove and now my bike sounds better at idle.

That said, I've done big road trips on my KTM and will be doing several more this summer. Only reliability concern/design flaw I've read about the Super Duke is an exhaust clamp thing that can come loose, rotate into your radiator and damage it.

dema fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 17, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That is part of the Japanese manufacturers' "gentleman's agreement" that was made to avoid a top speed arms race. Every (street legal) Japanese superbike from the year 2000 on has an electronic limiter at 299 km/h, or at least did for quite a while.

Some of the bikes were perfectly capable of going faster than 300 km/h, but the speedometer simply wouldn't show it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
christ that is poo poo dealer service but I am not at all surprised. A good dealer can make or break the ownership experience.
KTM has been known to be a wet noodle on warranty poo poo, which also surprise surprise.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

That is part of the Japanese manufacturers' "gentleman's agreement" that was made to avoid a top speed arms race. Every (street legal) Japanese superbike from the year 2000 on has an electronic limiter at 299 km/h, or at least did for quite a while.

Some of the bikes were perfectly capable of going faster than 300 km/h, but the speedometer simply wouldn't show it.

Yeah I have no doubt the newest Fireblade SP can crack 200mph. I thought I saw a video where it showed hitting 299 in 4th and still pulling strong. I can't find it, but this is close enough.

edit: oh I found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBKOwO2Nq8w

2:30 for the first time around the main straight. :wth:

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 17, 2022

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I did a couple of pulls on my CBR1000RR last time I rode through Nevada. Was amazing how the road evaporated. Like, poo poo looked straight forever and then all of a sudden the road was curving off or whatever.

Realized a turtle, or some poo poo, could end my life and decided I was good. Crossed hitting those kind of numbers off my list.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

In one of Guy Martin’s books, he talks about how this one corner at IOM is like 170 degrees but at the speeds they’re going it might as well be a hard corner.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 18, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My zx10 was simply incapable of displaying a 3 for the first digit so it would halt at 299 while the tacho kept increasing, idk what speed I did in reality but I'm confident I broke 300. Then I braked for a bend in the motorway and had to very suddenly force it on it's side because I didn't realize I was still doing 200.

Russian Bear posted:

Big Rock Moto's Husky 901 saga continues:

Googled norden 901 and the bike clearly has panniers and a relaxed riding position, meaning it's a practical vehicle and all of that guy's story is a lie.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

My zx10 was simply incapable of displaying a 3 for the first digit so it would halt at 299 while the tacho kept increasing, idk what speed I did in reality but I'm confident I broke 300. Then I braked for a bend in the motorway and had to very suddenly force it on it's side because I didn't realize I was still doing 200.

Googled norden 901 and the bike clearly has panniers and a relaxed riding position, meaning it's a practical vehicle and all of that guy's story is a lie.

Come on, there's plenty of space in the panniers for diagnostic equipment, spare parts, and tools.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I think the 901 is super pretty, so I’m super sad to hear about what a pain he’s having with it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

From Reddit:

quote:

Fun fact. We just got a shipment of 901s. And they're very cool to play around with (thinking about trading my Duc in for one) Turns out every single one of them needs a new rear shock cause they're strapped down so tight they all blew in transit.

Also non rebuild able shock, thanks, Husky :)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Not enough :lol: in the world. And all those shocks are backordered probably? Hope that dealer is getting some really good terms from KTM.

In other news, this Harley looks promising if they can actually be sub 450lb

https://jalopnik.com/harley-davidsons-best-looking-electric-motorcycle-yet-i-1848906758

Looks great, reasonable price.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I really like it. Looks spunky and fun to throw around. Of course it will be backordered/cancelled before I could consider buying it because #harleythings

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I love it! And it will probably do CCS.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The LiveWire does do CCS. So should this new bike.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Gorson posted:

From Reddit:

the shock is a normal shock and rebuildable lol

sucks they used the same leaky shock the 790 came with that got rebuilt / replaced under warranty but lol first year KTM / husqvarna problems

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

I'm not so sure, it looks quite different and more like a sealed shock than anything that can be rebuilt. It's also possible that it's theoretically able to be rebuilt but in practice they haven't gotten around to making a kit yet.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I'm not so sure, it looks quite different and more like a sealed shock than anything that can be rebuilt. It's also possible that it's theoretically able to be rebuilt but in practice they haven't gotten around to making a kit yet.

ya I get where you’re coming from wrt it looking like it, but there are several threads on ADVrider where folks have rebuilt and revalved them. even the electronic shocks are fixable

again, no excuses for KTM / WP especially when this same shock had issues on the 790 three years ago or whenever it came out so it definitely is / was a known issue

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We had a snowmobile with a blown shock in October that was rebuilt but still not holding air, depending on what's wrong could be in the housing and not fixable.
That one was fun because they were backordered to March and completely bypassed the season

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

From Reddit:

loving LOL. That's amazing.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I posted a while back in the questions thread about this stupid bike lol well I finally got it fixed! 2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 it only has 700 miles on it, it's literally traveled further on the trailer than it has under its own power.
It had a bunch of issues from the selling dealership basically uncrating it and selling it where it apparently sat around all the time.
The best thing about this bike is even with all of the carbon fiber parts it still weighs 700+ pounds lmao

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

right arm posted:

sucks they used the same leaky shock the 790 came with that got rebuilt / replaced under warranty but lol first year KTM / husqvarna problems

Everything is technically rebuildable.

BrownieVK posted:

I posted a while back in the questions thread about this stupid bike lol well I finally got it fixed! 2017 Moto Guzzi MGX-21 it only has 700 miles on it, it's literally traveled further on the trailer than it has under its own power.
It had a bunch of issues from the selling dealership basically uncrating it and selling it where it apparently sat around all the time.
The best thing about this bike is even with all of the carbon fiber parts it still weighs 700+ pounds lmao

Case in point.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sorted out the clutch on that dirtbike and now it's back to not running again. Even bump starting it'll sputter for a few seconds and die. I'm 99% sure it's the carb is hosed, but they were discontinued years ago so now I get to hunt around for something that will hopefully fit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why can't you just rebuild the carb....? It's just a hunk of alloy, is there some sort of physical damage forcing you to get another one?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Slavvy posted:

Why can't you just rebuild the carb....? It's just a hunk of alloy, is there some sort of physical damage forcing you to get another one?

She had it rebuilt with new jets direct from Honda before it came to me. I might try getting a kit and doing it again just because it's cheaper and easier but it's looking like it's got to be something deeper

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean, the number of actually faulty carbs I've seen I could count on the fingers of one hand.

The amount of 'rebuilds' causing problems is innumerable.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think I will just to see, be a lot cheaper and easier than getting a new carb that may or may not fit.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I went on a nice ride down to Deception Pass today. Ate some fresh shrimp. Bought a kriega tail bag and a cardo unit at Cycle Gear.
US border guard threw some low key sass, "you didn't want the 1000 then?", but he was cool. 3 randos came up to chat about bikes, one dude excitedly telling me about the new electric bike from Verge in Finland. Looks pretty cool tbh. All in all, a good day!

Oh, and I know it's just a little thing, but as far as quality of life doodads, Suzuki's low RPM assist thing is actually a really really nice thing to have when you're crawling up to the border checkpoint with your documents in your throttle hand and your helmet on your mirror and you can just walk the bike forward with the clutch and no throttle input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

I mean, the number of actually faulty carbs I've seen I could count on the fingers of one hand.

The amount of 'rebuilds' causing problems is innumerable.

The crazy things you find in carb sets. Check out this GL1100 carb rack I bought off FB marketplace for $40:

You can see one major repair in this pic, what you can't see is that the 80-81 GL1100 had pressed in pilot jets; at some point those pilot jets are going to plug so badly they won't clear, you can't get them out, and Honda never made replacements. This kills the carbs. When they fully plug you could try to drill them out, I suppose? Anyway, 82-83 has normal threaded pilots you can remove. You can see the difference by looking down the hole, one has the slot for a screwdriver one does not. On this particular set of carbs, 2 are pressed in pilots, 2 are screw out. However I have no idea if two of these carbs were taken from an 82-83 or did someone just take some screw in jets and jam them in the holes? I put as much force as I was comfortable with in trying to unscrew them, but any further and I risk chipping the jet. You can also see these have been rebuilt at some point since all the screws were replaced with stainless hex caps. Who knows how many people have had their fingers in these things. Who knows what has been replaced.