Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

The crazy things you find in carb sets. Check out this GL1100 carb rack I bought off FB marketplace for $40:

You can see one major repair in this pic, what you can't see is that the 80-81 GL1100 had pressed in pilot jets; at some point those pilot jets are going to plug so badly they won't clear, you can't get them out, and Honda never made replacements. This kills the carbs. When they fully plug you could try to drill them out, I suppose? Anyway, 82-83 has normal threaded pilots you can remove. You can see the difference by looking down the hole, one has the slot for a screwdriver one does not. On this particular set of carbs, 2 are pressed in pilots, 2 are screw out. However I have no idea if two of these carbs were taken from an 82-83 or did someone just take some screw in jets and jam them in the holes? I put as much force as I was comfortable with in trying to unscrew them, but any further and I risk chipping the jet. You can also see these have been rebuilt at some point since all the screws were replaced with stainless hex caps. Who knows how many people have had their fingers in these things. Who knows what has been replaced.

I mean that's like saying planes don't generally fall out of the sky and the counter example is 9/11

Idle to quarter throttle never forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Finger Prince posted:

I went on a nice ride down to Deception Pass today.

Nice pictures and that's a very nice drive. I trailer-camped in Anacortes for two weeks in 2015 (?) and biked all over the place there on a bicycle. Going over the Deception Pass bridge was by far my favorite.
Not a lot of room tho and a lot of rubber-necking

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Nice pictures and that's a very nice drive. I trailer-camped in Anacortes for two weeks in 2015 (?) and biked all over the place there on a bicycle. Going over the Deception Pass bridge was by far my favorite.
Not a lot of room tho and a lot of rubber-necking

It's a gorgeous spot. I went years ago when I was on some training in Seattle, been wanting to go back since. One of these days I'll actually spend some time in the park, go down to the beach, etc., rather than just stopping by the bridge to take pictures.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gorson posted:

The crazy things you find in carb sets. Check out this GL1100 carb rack I bought off FB marketplace for $40:

You can see one major repair in this pic, what you can't see is that the 80-81 GL1100 had pressed in pilot jets; at some point those pilot jets are going to plug so badly they won't clear, you can't get them out, and Honda never made replacements. This kills the carbs. When they fully plug you could try to drill them out, I suppose? Anyway, 82-83 has normal threaded pilots you can remove. You can see the difference by looking down the hole, one has the slot for a screwdriver one does not. On this particular set of carbs, 2 are pressed in pilots, 2 are screw out. However I have no idea if two of these carbs were taken from an 82-83 or did someone just take some screw in jets and jam them in the holes? I put as much force as I was comfortable with in trying to unscrew them, but any further and I risk chipping the jet. You can also see these have been rebuilt at some point since all the screws were replaced with stainless hex caps. Who knows how many people have had their fingers in these things. Who knows what has been replaced.

Honda (or maybe keihin?) loved press in pilots :cripes:

My solution was always taking a micro drill and clearing them out that way. I’ve never had any issues with boring out the pilot or anything like that

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Get out of here you drat tourists

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Goddamn Canadians, coming down here, eating our shrimp, shopping at our Trader Joe's!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought my youngest a Suzuki JR50 last week. The PO stated “needs carb adjustment, doesn’t want to idle when cold”. I got it home and the air box cover is Swiss cheesed with 1/4 inch holes.

Gee, wonder what could be causing the poor cold performance? :cripes: Off to bike bandit to order a new air box cover.

Of course because it is a Suzuki, it actually runs pretty well when warmed up after I richened it up on the A/F screw a turn and a half

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Speed holes in my air box
I know, I know
It's serious

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Me with the air box on a 50cc childrens bike that literally makes like 1.25HP

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why buy an air box when duct tape exists...?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Several dads down the street got minibikes for their kids last summer. After a couple weeks it was exclusively the dads riding them, and then they started modifying them.

Now every few days one of them will blast up and down the street a few times. BrrraaaaaAAAAAP POP POP BANG POP POP braaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAP POP BANG POP POP POP BANG

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Dads rock

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Because it will inevitably get goopy and gross and then I’ll have to deal with that.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Because life isn't Mad Max (yet).

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

Because life isn't Mad Max (yet).

The way gas prices are we aren’t far off. :v:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Honestly, it surprises me a lot that there is not more gasoline theft here, with prices between €2,10 and €2,40 for a liter of Euro 95.
A full tank of gas can be worth over 100 euro these days.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

LimaBiker posted:

Honestly, it surprises me a lot that there is not more gasoline theft here, with prices between €2,10 and €2,40 for a liter of Euro 95.

I've seen a lot of videos on social media sites of people having gas canisters stolen out of their driveways, and retaliating by filling another gas canister with water and leaving it in the same place.

But nothing quite "heist on the Sunoco" level.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Strife posted:

retaliating by filling another gas canister with water and leaving it in the same place.

:sickos:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Anita Dickinme posted:

The way gas prices are we aren’t far off. :v:

You guys pay effectively 80p per litre so sod off! We pay 160p or more per litre!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

You guys pay effectively 80p per litre so sod off! We pay 160p or more per litre!

This is so un-American I don’t even know what you’re saying.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sorry, I'll translate to American:

Y'all pay 5 dollars a gallon for gas, so gently caress off! We pay 10 dollars a gallon or more for gas!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Much better, thank you.

Get rekt skrub. :smug:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I paid $7/gallon yesterday. Anyway direct price comparisons don’t really account for purchasing power, differing tax policies, transportation infrastructure, and the overall impact to standard of living of higher gas prices. It’s perfectly OK for
Americans to complain about the price of gas, even if somewhere else has more expensive gas.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

We can complain about the price of gas because the culture is: you go to work every day and sit in 4 hours of traffic if necessary to do it. They don't give us any public transportation options.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have worked from home since 2017 pretty much full time and 100% full time since 2019 I think. Even when I did commute before those dates, I have never paid for fuel for commuting; just used trains.

All my petrol/diesel/EV juice money has always been for funsies, never commuting.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Steakandchips posted:

I have worked from home since 2017 pretty much full time and 100% full time since 2019 I think. Even when I did commute before those dates, I have never paid for fuel for commuting; just used trains.

All my petrol/diesel/EV juice money has always been for funsies, never commuting.

This is not an option for like 90% of americans

So ya, petrol there is priced more like a luxury good than a necessity. The price of an (american) gallon of gas is more than our federal minimum wage in some places right now.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I got an electric car about 4 years ago I really haven’t noticed :chord:
At least the bike has a small enough tank you don’t really notice it all at once

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

here if it can't be siphoned they'll drill the tanks.

nice brotruck, not only is it hilariously easy to cut the catalysts off, its easy to separate it from its [checks notes] 50 gallons/190L of fuel.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

65 litres of diesel for my car is about £115, i.e. to fill it from empty.

A 190 litre tank for a brotruck would £342 to fill from empty in :britain:. I think one fillup at that sort of price would make me switch to electric in short order.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

cursedshitbox posted:

here if it can't be siphoned they'll drill the tanks.

nice brotruck, not only is it hilariously easy to cut the catalysts off, its easy to separate it from its [checks notes] 50 gallons/190L of fuel.

Lmao jokes on you I already removed the cats so I can roll coal

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

TheBacon posted:

Lmao jokes on you I already removed the cats so I can roll coal

[reports u to the gov]

Steakandchips posted:

A 190 litre tank for a brotruck would £342 to fill from empty in :britain:. I think one fillup at that sort of price would make me switch to electric in short order.

Its about three hundo american to fill my hooptie up from empty. even at double that, its still one of the smaller line items in cost of ownership. Its not a daily and its use-case is outside that of what current evs provide. Its eventual replacement will be a parallel hybrid of a medium/heavy duty variety.
Had a ev, sold it in 2020, I don't commute far enough away to justify another vehicle purchase.

my 'fuel-efficient' ride is a bicycle.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheBacon posted:

The price of an (american) gallon of gas is more than our federal minimum wage in some places right now.

I didn’t even make this connection before now. :stare:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Gorson posted:

We can complain about the price of gas because the culture is: you go to work every day and sit in 4 hours of traffic if necessary to do it. They don't give us any public transportation options.
Yup. For the non-US goons, just an idea of how bad it really is- I live about half an hour's drive from the center of a decently sized city. It's also about half an hour into that city via public transporation. A buddy of mine lives about 10 minutes further drive from the city than I do. That 10 minute drive is dangerously unwalkable due to highways, blind corners with no road shoulder, etc. On a whim I looked up how long it would take via public transportation. 11 hours.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 23, 2022

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I live twenty minutes from work. Public transportation? Well...

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I work remotely but see clients regularly at their offices. I cover all of New England, but a lot of offices are central to Boston or Burlington. I'm about 45 minutes' drive from Boston, and maybe 20 from Burlington. In a day I could leave at 9 for a 10AM meeting in Boston, hit a 1PM meeting in Burlington, then I'll get home around 2:30 and spend the rest of the day dealing with email and admin stuff.

Via public transportation it's 2 hours and 45 minutes to Boston, so I'd have to leave my house at 7 to get to that meeting on time, and if I wanted to be in Burlington it would take, uh, 7 hours and 55 minutes from Boston, and then 1:45 to get from Burlington to my house.

Public transportation doesn't exist in the US.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Lots of things suck rear end in the US.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

Sorry, I'll translate to American:

Y'all pay 5 dollars a gallon for gas, so gently caress off! We pay 10 dollars a gallon or more for gas!

You pay $10 USD per gallon of gas, we pay $30 per gallon of gas because we need to fund the behemoth that goes and robs other countries for their gas to sell to us for $5 a gallon of gas.

Also if you get hurt maybe sit in a corner and hope you don't die because medical care will ruin you.

Rolo posted:

Lots of things suck rear end in the US.

quote for truth

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

Also if you get hurt maybe sit in a corner and hope you don't die because medical care will ruin you.

Being in the military I never truly realized how truly awful our healthcare system is until I became a civilian and found out about copay. It was a huge culture shock. Thank goodness I have free healthcare from the VA because I can’t imagine paying bills for basic human healthcare needs.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

Being in the military I never truly realized how truly awful our healthcare system is until I became a civilian and found out about copay. It was a huge culture shock. Thank goodness I have free healthcare from the VA because I can’t imagine paying bills for basic human healthcare needs.

This is why I love it when vets post poo poo like "forgiving student loans would be a slap in my face, I joined the military and served my country so I could get a college education", because in my head that translates to "I'm all for taxes funding a paycheck, education, and healthcare (although the VA is complete poo poo) but only if you're OK with the possibility of being sent into combat"

To be clear I'm not directing this post at you - your post just reminded me of some BS that went around social media a few weeks back. Don't mean to turn this into D&D

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Anita Dickinme posted:

Lol now imagine being a type 1 diabetic (me). america rules