Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Yeah, I mean, I don't have any strong opinions about it, I'm not saying it's a bad bike or anything, I am just confused by the mechanics of it all. I figured kWs had a pretty direct relationship to top speed. I really want to try a DRZ on the highway now just to understand what it feels like. (I also kind of want one as a second bike because they just sound like they're versatile and fun)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My only serious DRZ experience was a track day on one at a go kart track, but I did not find them lacking in speed at all. I actually wasn't even going full throttle on the long straight until the instructor pointed that out, but DRZs feel pretty fast when you're heading toward a 180 degree turn. That said, it really is a steep uphill so I could see playing it cautious on one considering LA freeway speeds.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand that beak thing that Team Green is doing on most of their street bikes. The Z900RS looks so goddamned good, but most of the rest of the lineup looks like what you'd get if you plopped a second year design student in front of Yamaha's decepticon styling and said "go BOLDER"

The Z900RS is indeed gorgeous. I still think I like the XSR 700 / 900's looks more.

The rest of the Kawasaki lineup, IMO, is ok looking. Nothing amazing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Sorry I didn't get photos here but we had some :wow: poo poo in the shop the other day. We towed in a CBR600 (rr I think? It was clear that someone had replaced a bunch of parts on it, not sure the bodywork was correct) that had the complaint of a stuck rear brake. It unstuck itself while i was shoving it onto a trailer so I gathered it probably wasn't the brake.

Once we got it on a lift and looked close, discovered that someone had assembled the bike, bodywork etc (and apparently rode it around because it ran fine) while missing -- I believe -- ALL of the motor mounts with the exception of the lower rear and the swingarm pivot. The upper left front motor mount was broken off in the motor and the rest were just gone. Upper rear bolt was gone but the spacers were still there, loose, and one of them had fallen into the chain, which of course locked up the rear wheel. I'm amazed it didn't crack the engine case when that happened. But the dude who owned this thing apparently had no idea what the deal was. Had symmetrical dents on the frame left and right which looked like a rectangular thing slammed into it, so I'm guessing this thing was a stunt bike with a cage on it, beat to poo poo as stunt bikes are, and then someone threw bodywork back on it and pretended it was good to go. Scary poo poo.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

so I'm guessing this thing was a stunt bike with a cage on it, beat to poo poo as stunt bikes are, and then someone threw bodywork back on it and pretended it was good to go. Scary poo poo.

People like that are absolute trash. What a horrific bike to sell to someone.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Eeh there's unscrupulous assholes but there's also gullible fools. If he could trailer it to the good reverend when it broke, he could've chucked the church a donation to check the bike out before he dived in and bought it. I can't imagine this thing was very subtle looking.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ryan F9 likes the new Tenere 700.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5WJvQqeQpe8

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yamaha had the demo truck at a nearby dealer this weekend and had the Tenere 700 on it, but I didn't bother going to check it out. Timely content drop from F9.

edit: pretty high praise - sounds like it's really easy to handle off road, suspension needs to be resprung if you're really going to ride the hell out of it. Must be a hell of a bike if it's only a couple of grand cheaper than the 790, is missing the majority of the KTM's electronics, and F9's still sold on it.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 28, 2020

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I got a photo today that I've been thinking of for months.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~~ NICE ~~

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Ulf posted:

Well done. Which Honda?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

epalm posted:

Yesterday, I wasn't paying attention, and don't have a fuel gauge/light, and hit reserve on the highway with a semi behind me. I flipped to reserve pretty quickly, but it still took a few (really long) seconds for the engine to come back to life, during which time I had slowed from more than 70mph to less than 60mph. Thankfully the semi driver saw me and slowed (I briefly covered my rear brake, enough to illuminate my brake lights for a second, I'm assuming he/she saw this), but still ended up close enough that I was about move onto the paved shoulder when the engine picked up.

I'm usually pretty good about filling up before hitting reserve, and knowing how many miles before I'll hit reserve, but I guess I've done a bunch of city riding recently and hit reserve sooner than expected.

No harm done, but I recognize this was on a clear day with an attentive trucker. I can see how on a rainy day with low visibility and a guy on his phone behind me could result in sadness.

A couple years ago when I still had my DRZ I was coming back from a local shop with a pocket full of FCR jets and there was a little (under CDL weight limit in Wisconsin) landscaping company dump truck behind me. The kid driving it was wandering all over his lane and looked like he was texting/google maps-ing/whatever. I moved over from the far left to the far right lane coming up to the red cause I didn't want him behind me. Someone in a camry moved over in front of him to turn left at the next light and sure enough he plowed right into them and shoved the car halfway through the intersection.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

epalm posted:

Well done. Which Honda?

'97 Nighthawk 750. Great bike though it's just a budget model of the 80s 650, which I kind of want for the amazing dash.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 29, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ulf posted:

nice

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I got all the documentation together (Used Vehicle Info Package, signed vehicle transfer, plate ownership, safety certificate, bill of sale), waited in line almost 2 hrs at the MTO, only to be told that they can't register my bike because it's more than 20 years old (1998 Shadow), and that I need to go back to the shop/dealership and get the bike "appraised" so they know how much tax to charge me.

Let's forget about the ridiculous aspect of charging tax on private vehicle sales, where the province collects 13% over and over, every time the bike changes hands (not just when it's originally sold at the dealership).

I bought the bike pretty cheap, had to spend some money to get it up to safety standards, then got it safetied, and now they want the bike appraised, which is obviously going to be more than what I paid for it. And I have to take more time off work, to pay a shop to appraise the bike, to effectively screw myself into paying more for the registration.

Registering vehicles is always such a hassle :(

epswing fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 29, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What the gently caress? Tax is on the appraised value and not the amount transacted?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

epalm posted:

I got all the documentation together (Used Vehicle Info Package, signed vehicle transfer, plate ownership, safety certificate, bill of sale), waited in line almost 2 hrs at the MTO, only to be told that they can't register my bike because it's more than 20 years old (1998 Shadow), and that I need to go back to the shop/dealership and get the bike "appraised" so they know how much tax to charge me.

Let's forget about the ridiculous aspect of charging tax on private vehicle sales, where the province collects 13% over and over, every time the bike changes hands (not just when it's originally sold at the dealership).

I bought the bike pretty cheap, had to spend some money to get it up to safety standards, then got it safetied, and now they want the bike appraised, which is obviously going to be more than what I paid for it. And I have to take more time off work, to pay a shop to appraise the bike, to effectively screw myself into paying more for the registration.

Registering vehicles is always such a hassle :(

That's bullshit, they have access to the red book value, and if it doesn't have a red book value then your bill of sale is what they can charge tax on, regardless of the arbitrary number on it. Not that it helps but next time cut your hair into a bob, get your Karen on and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Fin.gov.on.ca posted:

Specified Vehicles purchased privately in Ontario

RST at the rate of 13 per cent is payable on the fair market value of a specified vehicle purchased privately (i.e., from a person who is not a GST/HST registrant) in Ontario, unless an RST exemption is applicable. RST is collected at ServiceOntario Centres across Ontario.

(stuff about cars, vans, and trucks)

Other specified vehicles

For specified vehicles, other than those identified above, fair market value means the purchase price. Some examples include motorcycles, motor homes, off‑road vehicles, snowmobiles, boats, aircraft and trailers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anecdotally, MTO counter folks are a real crapshoot. In a super small sample size, I'm about 50/50 where I've gone in and had some kind of weird interpretation given to me. I half expected to be told I needed to re-safety my old Ninja before I could plate it again despite the fact that it never changed ownership or fit/unfit status.

But to be fair, I've also encountered people who made my MTO experience super pleasant and were beyond helpful. I wonder if you didn't just get a bad egg :(

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Smells like bullshit, I bought my 1980 Honda privately and MTO had no problems transferring ownership.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

What the gently caress? Tax is on the appraised value and not the amount transacted?

Nothing to keep you from paying $1000 for a bike but asking the seller to do you a solid and give you a bill of sale for $500.

I got a ridiculously good deal when I bought my GS. The state sent me a letter 3 months after I'd titled and registered it mandating that I either pay more tax on the sale (enough to match their average sale price for that year/model) or submit 18 different forms with a bunch of additional documentation, plus the possibility of getting sucked into a hearing. Guess which option I went with.

The average value they used was still well under blue book, but a couple grand more than I actually paid.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've heard mixed reviews, IRL and on forums, about how much they care. My guess is the lower the number on the bill of sale, the more of a poo poo they give. I've registered many bikes in the last decade, and this is the first time they refused to register it without an official appraisal.

Basically they're just not considering the possibility that someone would buy a broken vehicle for cheap, fix it up, then register it.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/register-vehicle-permit-licence-plate-and-sticker#section-8

quote:

If the vehicle is 20 year old or older, you may require an appraisal.

epswing fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 29, 2020

Juergoslav
Mar 10, 2013
So i got the GSXS 1000f my only regret is not getting rid of the Ninja sooner.
So much more my type of bike, feels much more natural to me.
Will have to adjust the suspension though, the rear keeps bouncing up and down far to long after hitting bigger bumps.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Anecdotally, MTO counter folks are a real crapshoot. In a super small sample size, I'm about 50/50 where I've gone in and had some kind of weird interpretation given to me. I half expected to be told I needed to re-safety my old Ninja before I could plate it again despite the fact that it never changed ownership or fit/unfit status.

But to be fair, I've also encountered people who made my MTO experience super pleasant and were beyond helpful. I wonder if you didn't just get a bad egg :(

When my dad died, my brother wanted to buy half his car from me. The level of bullshit they tried to get him to do was obscene. Letters from each executor and the solicitor was just the opener.

So I went to my local office and said "my dad died, my brother wants to pay me for half his car, he got told XYZ which seems excessive" and they checked and said "the registration expired two months ago, write him a receipt and he can just register it in his name".

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Jim Silly Balls is the new IK for CA! Have fun, please don't crash!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:krad: Thanks for sitting on the grenade JSB!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Internet... king?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

YOU ARE ALL hosed :redhammer:

Kidding of course. New thread janitor at your service :patriot:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

poo poo, I was just joking before when I said CA was going to become a goldwing forum.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ought ten posted:

poo poo, I was just joking before when I said CA was going to become a goldwing forum.

I too have had a gold wing at one point. Except mine was a trike. And I never rode it. And I don't have a motorcycle license. ITS A LONG STORY OK.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean......you can’t just leave us hanging like that

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Forget it, JakeJim, it's Florida.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

YOU ARE ALL hosed :redhammer:

Kidding of course. New thread janitor at your service :patriot:

:aaa: all posts will know be powder coated dad-brown or grampa-gold.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

aikab

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FTIK

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow I rode the Ninja 250 for the first time after spending my spring on the 650.

It's ... different.

When you start on a 250 I'm not sure it's possible to appreciate how light and nimble that bike is until you've spent time riding something else, no matter how many times you're told exactly that. I definitely appreciated being able to throw it around easily.

I don't know how much of this is my old beat up 250 that may still require adjustment and tuning, but I also now realized just how forgiving that bike was. I had to crank the throttle to half WOT just to take off from a stop. The 650 is super torque-y down low and such a touchy grabby throttle that it's really easy to blip unexpectedly.

I put the 250 back on the road just so I can take it to parking lots and abuse it practicing fig8s and slow speed stuff and after riding it for an hour today I'm super glad I did.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You will never regret smallbieks. This is a law of motorcycling

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I mean......you can’t just leave us hanging like that

Actually, its not that long of a story, just not very interesting. A family member passed and left his vehicles to me. The goldwing was included in that and I had 0 interest in riding it. Just not my style. vOv

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

0 interest in trikes checks out

E: Another shower thought on levers. My old 250 has probably been downed dozens of times by every owner it’s had do it’s sporting probably its 15th set of cheap aftermarket amazon chinesium shorty levers. Having ridden both bikes in succession, it was startling just how much I preferred my OEM length levers. I’m really struggling to figure out a case where having shorter levers would be beneficial, outside of “it looks better”, which I’d say is kind of debatable.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 1, 2020

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Trikes combine the worst parts of cars and motorcycles into one confusing package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

0 interest in trikes checks out

E: Another shower thought on levers. My old 250 has probably been downed dozens of times by every owner it’s had do it’s sporting probably its 15th set of cheap aftermarket amazon chinesium shorty levers. Having ridden both bikes in succession, it was startling just how much I preferred my OEM length levers. I’m really struggling to figure out a case where having shorter levers would be beneficial, outside of “it looks better”, which I’d say is kind of debatable.

They're a lot better when they're actually designed for a particular bike, by an actual engineering designing person, and made out of appropriate materials on a high quality machine. But yeah most of the time they're worthless, unless you have tiny hands they just make the bike worse and harder to ride. Which is like 95% of the 'mods' people do - throw eight decades of carefully considered ergonomic improvement in the bin and replace it with some garish cnc'd garbage.