Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I’m really struggling to figure out a case where having shorter levers would be beneficial, outside of “it looks better”, which I’d say is kind of debatable.

I prefer shorter levers because they provide a bit more room for my hands when they're just resting on the grips without having to adjust the lever so far out it's annoying. I smashed the last two knuckles on my throttle hand a long time ago and those fingers lock up/ache if I don't move them around frequently.

I still run normal levers on the GS and Multi b/c 1) lol shorty levers on a touring bike 2) levers for those bikes are dummy expensive. I'll pony up for CRGs, but $300 for Wunderlich levers that will be the first things to get smashed in an off? Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I know motorcycle media is basically dead now except for the media arm of retailers like Revzilla but I was just thinking about how much I miss the old videos from the Fast Bikes guys. Just unapologetic U.K. squidliness at its most irresponsible. I did read guys like Peter Egan and Kent Kunitsugu but when I wanted to get away from the corporate staidness and risk adverseness of U.S. media, I'd pick up a U.K. magazine or video and of those Frosty, Shaky and the rest of the part time journos/British Superbike/Supersport riders at Fast Bikes were the biggest contrast to U.S. media. These days, I like watching Ari Henning and Zack Courts and some others but there's a calamari sized hole in my heart where the Fast Bike guys used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGUcP75yJVM

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The early 2000’s were a weird time because bike technology really started to take off and bikes got really REALLY fast with fuel injection, better frame and suspension technology and stuff like that.

Bikes have always been faster than cars but that period saw an explosion of power from bikes and the gap between them got really wide for a while because cars on the whole in the late 90’s/early 2000’s were still pretty drat slow.

I feel like that gap and the feeling of superiority it gave you over everything on the road led to a lot of that stuff as well as other big names like ghost rider and the like

Nowadays the Camry is like 300+ horsepower and is faster than a lot of 90’s supercars and the gap is starting to close again. Like, it’d be pretty hard to out accelerate an AWD big-battery Tesla with most bikes. At least to 60mph, whereas the difference between even a 600cc sport bike from the late 90’s and a late 90’s Camaro or something is night and day.

It’s wild how the two industries pass and catch each other.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just noticed in the past year or so that I kept on seeing Camry drivers thinking they're in a race car and driving with the idiocy usually reserved for VW hatchbacks, I looked them up and was surprised to see they have 300HP. They still don't seem to understand that a 300HP FWD sedan that weighs 3000+ lbs is not going to beat a supersport off the line though.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Cars have gotten much more powerful and in a straight line in particular the best EVs (like the Model S Performance and Taycan Turbo S) have bike like acceleration. The liter bikes are still capable of faster times but it's very very close and it takes way more skill to get there on a bike than stomping the accelerator of the EVs. But the bike tech has picked up hugely in the past decade too and with ABS, traction control, wheelie control etc. riding powerful bikes has gotten so much easier. If not for that tech, all the nominal 200 hp+ bikes would be even more dangerous and unrideable for most people. I would expect a ton of looped bikes and high sides.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s crazy, the numbers that used to be reserved for cars like a Testarossa are now available to your average Joe in a family sedan.

This is to say nothing of today’s actual performance vehicles.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s crazy, the numbers that used to be reserved for cars like a Testarossa are now available to your average Joe in a family sedan.

This is to say nothing of today’s actual performance vehicles.
The stupid commuter car Tesla Model 3 I ordered is faster in a straight line than either my E46 M3 or my tuned Evo X I owned previously. Of course it apparently wallows in turns but the straight line speed is silly for a compact family car. Still would rather be on two wheels.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Yuns posted:

I know motorcycle media is basically dead now except for the media arm of retailers like Revzilla but I was just thinking about how much I miss the old videos from the Fast Bikes guys. Just unapologetic U.K. squidliness at its most irresponsible. I did read guys like Peter Egan and Kent Kunitsugu but when I wanted to get away from the corporate staidness and risk adverseness of U.S. media, I'd pick up a U.K. magazine or video and of those Frosty, Shaky and the rest of the part time journos/British Superbike/Supersport riders at Fast Bikes were the biggest contrast to U.S. media. These days, I like watching Ari Henning and Zack Courts and some others but there's a calamari sized hole in my heart where the Fast Bike guys used to be.

Not quite the same, but bit of less serious UK dudes, I really like 44Teeth. The Budget Bike Battle series they've done has been super awesome and entertaining to me.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

TheBacon posted:

Not quite the same, but bit of less serious UK dudes, I really like 44Teeth. The Budget Bike Battle series they've done has been super awesome and entertaining to me.

Just watched the new 44 Teeth video this morning; Fagan did a 4 hour endurance race on a stock GSX-R 125 and he was paired up with one of the Fast Bike guys. Good fun.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Yuns posted:

The liter bikes are still capable of faster times but it's very very close and it takes way more skill to get there on a bike than stomping the accelerator of the EVs.

Yeah. Some dunce in a Tesla tried to show off to me with his big launch the other day, and he had me off the line no problem but there's nothing impressive about a car that does all the legwork for you. Plus they're ugly as sin, and I dusted him anyway. In a corner, on the outside.

Martytoof posted:

Wow I rode the Ninja 250 for the first time after spending my spring on the 650.

It's ... different.

My first bike was an '88 EX250. Sometimes I really miss that nimble, comfortable, ridiculously-fuel-efficient little ride. I did some embarrassing poo poo on that bike that would have killed me with any more power, but it took it all like a champ.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I did horrible things to the tires of a Model S a few years ago due to a friend saying go crazy and don't worry about burning rubber, but it's true that it takes no skill to just press down hard and let traction control take care of the rest. But in terms of straight line, off the light speed, I wouldn't even try to beat a modern performance BEV off the light. Maybe on a modern liter bike with all the electronics, but I don't even have ABS and my excess power is often more of a liability than anything else at my current skill level. I still want to try out a modern bike with every electronic aid possible, but that will have to wait until I buy a used R1 or something similar.

It is funny with modern cars though, I'm sure I complained about this before but even seemingly nondescript cars can surprise you with their power now. I remember being surprised a year or two ago when after I filtered to the front of the cars at a red light, once the light turned green I heard tires squealing and obvious traction control kicking in on a generic looking Infiniti. Turns out it was a Q60 with 400HP, but it was one of those "I didn't know I was in a race" situations so I was just glad modern TC kept the car from plowing into me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

I'm always torn on Schiller-era Fast Bikes because they were undoubtedly the best motorcycle media in the country (Streetfighter and Back Street Heroes sometimes came close but they always had to "balance" it with lovely sub-lads-mag bullshit, especially the latter which basically turned into "No I bought this magazine for the six-paragraph description of yet another modded Bandit 1200, not the 8 pages of a semi-naked woman draped over it"). On the other hand Schiller was an unrepentant prick, and if you talk to just about anybody who worked in the industry they'll have a story about being hosed over by him at some point. Also he insisted on looping the same 30 seconds of his own lovely guitar noodling over every single loving video.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The reason I brought up “Testarossa” specifically is because I got next to one last year in my car, a very nondescript very factory stock Accord with the 2 liter turbo motor and a 6-speed and, at least to 60 or 70 mph, we were neck and neck.

This is not some humblebrag about how “fast” my bone stock accord is, in reality it loses to the new 300hp Camry and a bunch of other very normal very boring stuff.

It’s just insane how good ALL modern cars are.

The electronics are a big piece of it too. Would you hand a 16 year old new driver the keys to a Testarossa? Ignoring the value of the vehicle it’s still a hell no, they’ll have it wrapped around a pole in a heartbeat. A new accord turbo? Sure, take it for a spin, no one would think twice and it’s pretty similar, acceleration-wise but it’s much easier to keep that acceleration under control.

Computers, man

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Anyone from Utah? I'm reading through the latest AMA magazine and there's an article about the new law allowing lane filtering in Utah. Curious how it compares to California. From what I've heard/read, it works in California and other countries because other motorists expect bikes to filter through cars because they've done it for decades. I'd be super hesitant to filter any time other than a complete stop in a state where it was just made legal, just because the family SUV in the next lane isn't familiar with the concept and just wants to get the kids to soccer.

Even if it were legal in Massachusetts for a long time I'd never do it here. The roads are poo poo and everyone drives like they're on their way to pick up the antidote.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I filter in every state. be the change you want to see in the world.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Strife posted:

Even if it were legal in Massachusetts for a long time I'd never do it here. The roads are poo poo and everyone drives like they're on their way to pick up the antidote.

I always see people filtering everywhere in YouTube videos (New York a lot for example) and I don't know how people do it. I'm really new to riding, but I've only filtered/split in two situations. In dead stop traffic at Hampton Beach last weekend, I felt safe because nobody was moving and I'm on a tiny bike (2019 CB300R). Also, in downtown Boston, again, at red lights that I'm familiar with. It feels safer than being sandwiched in between two Uber drivers not paying attention.
People in Massachusetts really don't seem to pay attention to motorcycles at all. I can't imagine filtering or splitting with moving traffic.

Maybe when I'm more comfortable my opinion will change. Who knows.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

right arm posted:

I filter in every state. be the change you want to see in the world.

Have you filtered in "the south" and if so, what was your experience?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

metavisual posted:

I always see people filtering everywhere in YouTube videos (New York a lot for example) and I don't know how people do it.

I watched a video of someone driving through NYC and I was on the verge of a panic attack the entire time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I assumed he meant stoplight filtering, not lane splitting while moving. I still to afraid to do that but that's what I want so so bad, not lane splitting.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I assumed he meant stoplight filtering, not lane splitting while moving. I still to afraid to do that but that's what I want so so bad, not lane splitting.

Yeah that's the Utah law: filtering between stopped cars on roads less than 45mph. But California's law is to not allow anyone to ride more than 20mph more than cars that are going a max of 20mph (I think), and nobody ever does that, so I assume in Utah it'll be a similar "give an inch, take a mile" kind of thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I want to start filtering at stops in my NC city. There are way too many dipshits permanently texting and I’d like to be out front please.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I don't understand how people can ride a bike *without* filtering, it's just such a natural and ingrained thing to me. Obviously British drivers being (mostly) used to it, or at least indifferent to it, helps a lot, but even on a massive Harley I found myself doing it in the States (Utah and Nevada mostly) a few times with no particular reaction from the traffic (although that might have just been because I was shorting out their brains by riding a Harley in a full-face helmet).

Also if NYC traffic is giving you the heebie jeebies then never look up Indian or SE Asian helmet cams. I love the contrast with the US ones, where someone pulls out a quarter of a mile ahead and the rider spends ten minutes rev bombing and giving them the finger, while in India a 40-ton lorry drives the wrong way down a motorway and the rider just moves over a lane and shrugs.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't understand how people can ride a bike *without* filtering, it's just such a natural and ingrained thing to me. Obviously British drivers being (mostly) used to it, or at least indifferent to it, helps a lot, but even on a massive Harley I found myself doing it in the States (Utah and Nevada mostly) a few times with no particular reaction from the traffic (although that might have just been because I was shorting out their brains by riding a Harley in a full-face helmet).

Also if NYC traffic is giving you the heebie jeebies then never look up Indian or SE Asian helmet cams. I love the contrast with the US ones, where someone pulls out a quarter of a mile ahead and the rider spends ten minutes rev bombing and giving them the finger, while in India a 40-ton lorry drives the wrong way down a motorway and the rider just moves over a lane and shrugs.

In Ontario, drivers just freak out immediately and honk. I don't believe there's a specific "no filtering" rule here, but I've heard that cops will ticket you for "improper lane change".

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
As evidenced by the COVID response in the US and people refusing to wear masks, MUH LIBERTY > your everything, including the ability to filter up to the front at a light and make traffic flow better. Because it involves you getting in front of me, see, and life is a race/second place is the first loser/all of that BS. Filtering is the equivalent of queue jumping in the minds of most US drivers.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I do both. especially in highway traffic in nashville / atlanta

Jack B Nimble posted:

Have you filtered in "the south" and if so, what was your experience?

it's fine. just like anywhere else. I just try to be hyper aware and not do more than 40 if traffic is stopped on the highway. I still have my oregon plates cause why not lol so I think people already hate me :D

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jazzzzz posted:

As evidenced by the COVID response in the US and people refusing to wear masks, MUH LIBERTY > your everything, including the ability to filter up to the front at a light and make traffic flow better. Because it involves you getting in front of me, see, and life is a race/second place is the first loser/all of that BS. Filtering is the equivalent of queue jumping in the minds of most US drivers.

Crabs in a bucket. It's better that we all fail together than any one of us succeed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

epalm posted:

In Ontario, drivers just freak out immediately and honk. I don't believe there's a specific "no filtering" rule here, but I've heard that cops will ticket you for "improper lane change".

I think there something in the highway code about improper lane sharing as well (2 vehicles can't occupy the same space in a lane, which is why you're supposed to stagger in a group ride). I've filtered here a few times, and for every accommodating driver (fellow rider, I assume), there's been some boomer giving me evils in his side view mirror and creeping over to hug the lane divider. Like dude, I see you, I'm just going to go around the other side. I also witnessed one incident of attempted vehicular homicide toward a biker for some imagined slight. I got pretty pro-tier at filtering from commuting in London for 6 years, but I'm so out of practice, I get a bit nervous doing it in places I know it's not allowed now. I got caught in some a really bad construction tailback going through Crowsnest pass in Alberta a year or two ago, and after a cursory wait in misery with the rest of traffic, I said gently caress this and filtered to the front. Everyone in the queue was cool about it there, like it was expected, why would we wait on bikes if we didn't have to? In Ontario I'd expect someone to at least make an attempt at running us off into the ditch.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Strife posted:

I watched a video of someone driving through NYC and I was on the verge of a panic attack the entire time.
I'm like the only dude in NYC who doesn't filter/lane split.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I imagine I’ll be hosed if I ever move out of California, lane splitting is all I know. I can not imagine traffic without it, seems miserable.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheBacon posted:

I imagine I’ll be hosed if I ever move out of California, lane splitting is all I know. I can not imagine traffic without it, seems miserable.

It doesn't just seem, it is.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Stop and go traffic in a car sucks, on a bike if you couldn't lane split I don't know why you'd even bother riding in traffic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Strife posted:

California's law is to not allow anyone to ride more than 20mph more than cars that are going a max of 20mph (I think)

Hah, no, that's just my own personal limit that I've posted a bunch of times.

Prior to 2018 there was no law about lane splitting in California -- it wasn't specifically legal or illegal. The police would generally let you do it but they'd stop you for reckless driving if they thought you were being dangerous.

As of 2018 there is an actual law authorizing the practice, but without specific prescriptions of how it is to be performed. Instead, they gave the CHP permission to come up with guidelines that define whether it's being done safely. Those are:

quote:

Lane Splitting Safety Tips for Motorcyclists

• Consider the total environment when you are lane splitting. (this includes the width of lanes, the size of surrounding vehicles, as well as current roadway, weather and lighting conditions).
  • Danger increases at higher speed differentials.
  • Danger increases as overall speed increases.
  • It is typically safer to split between the far left lanes than between the other lanes of traffic.
  • Avoid lane splitting next to large vehicles (big rigs, buses, motorhomes, etc.).
  • Riding on the shoulder is illegal; it is not considered lane splitting.
  • Be visible—Avoid remaining in the blind spots of other vehicles or lingering between vehicles.
  • Help drivers see you by wearing brightly colored/reflective protective gear and using high beams during daylight.

Messages for Other Vehicle Drivers
  • Lane splitting by motorcyclists is legal in California.
  • Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal.
  • Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcyclist is illegal.
  • Drivers in the far left lane should move to the left of their lane to give motorcyclists ample room to pass.

Note that they still don't say at what speed it should be performed, because it's highly contextual. The CHP's old guidelines (published before there was a law authorizing the practice, then taken down when angry car drivers got pissy) recommended to not do it more than 10mph above traffic going up to 30mph, which is pretty close to what I came up with on my own.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Sagebrush posted:

Hah, no, that's just my own personal limit that I've posted a bunch of times.

Prior to 2018 there was no law about lane splitting in California -- it wasn't specifically legal or illegal. The police would generally let you do it but they'd stop you for reckless driving if they thought you were being dangerous.

As of 2018 there is an actual law authorizing the practice, but without specific prescriptions of how it is to be performed. Instead, they gave the CHP permission to come up with guidelines that define whether it's being done safely. Those are:

Came here to post this. They used to have guidelines. For whatever reason recently they removed all those and essentially went, "Welp! Be safe out there. Also attempting to hinder lane splitting with a car is illegal. Have fun!"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

I think there something in the highway code about improper lane sharing as well (2 vehicles can't occupy the same space in a lane, which is why you're supposed to stagger in a group ride). I've filtered here a few times, and for every accommodating driver (fellow rider, I assume), there's been some boomer giving me evils in his side view mirror and creeping over to hug the lane divider. Like dude, I see you, I'm just going to go around the other side. I also witnessed one incident of attempted vehicular homicide toward a biker for some imagined slight. I got pretty pro-tier at filtering from commuting in London for 6 years, but I'm so out of practice, I get a bit nervous doing it in places I know it's not allowed now. I got caught in some a really bad construction tailback going through Crowsnest pass in Alberta a year or two ago, and after a cursory wait in misery with the rest of traffic, I said gently caress this and filtered to the front. Everyone in the queue was cool about it there, like it was expected, why would we wait on bikes if we didn't have to? In Ontario I'd expect someone to at least make an attempt at running us off into the ditch.

I've done it three times in AB and it's been a crapshoot: twice to get around an collision on the Trans-Canada in Banff, where nobody seemed to give a poo poo, and once when there was a half-hour wait to go through one of the stop signs in Bragg Creek - no collision, Calgarians just really like driving out to Bragg - and a semi did try to run me into the ditch

Then I started seeing the occasional Freeman-on-the-land no-license-plate jackass, and gently caress exposing myself to vehicular homicide from one of thems

I went down to San Francisco a few years ago, I'd never driven in California before and the first time a bike went by my window I was like "oh yeah they get to do that here"

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is a YouTube vlogger, Officer Rob, who was in the LAPD motorcycle unit (he's in LAPD aviation now) and he would post vlogs of his day. It always amazed me that people would block him or interfere with his filtering/lane splitting when (1) it is legal in LA and (2) he's a motor unit enforcement officer. He was way too nice on dudes getting in the way.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The only people I've had try to block me in California have always been out of state license plates.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
So we're moving this weekend and unfortunately our plans for moving bikes fell through, any advice or recommendations on bike transportation in the US Northeast?

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

So we're moving this weekend and unfortunately our plans for moving bikes fell through, any advice or recommendations on bike transportation in the US Northeast?

I've personally been very happy with HaulBikes but other people have reported unreasonably high quotes. Can't hurt to check with them.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

LodeRunner posted:

I've personally been very happy with HaulBikes but other people have reported unreasonably high quotes. Can't hurt to check with them.

Thanks, sent them the info on the bikes, hopefully it won't be outrageous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I used once UShip with good results