Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Long Way Round is definitely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Sigtrap: True.

WWT: Long Way Round I enjoyed. Long Way Down I thought sucked. If you like reading/picture adventure trip stuff too I can link up some ADV rides that were loving awesome.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Silver posted:

Sigtrap: True.

WWT: Long Way Round I enjoyed. Long Way Down I thought sucked. If you like reading/picture adventure trip stuff too I can link up some ADV rides that were loving awesome.

I loved long way down, especially the last episode. I saw more of it than I did of long way round though.

So I saw a Guzzi V7 (that pretty white one I posted in the new for '09 thread) in person the other day. Had a sit on it too. It's just as pretty in person as it is in the pics, but the seat is pretty uncomfortable. Maybe I'm just used to more saddle-type seats, but the Guzzi's is a bit of a plank and the edges rub your inner thighs something fierce. Maybe I was sitting on it wrong?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
I liked 'em both. Long Way Down really sucked until they got to about central Africa. The drama over Ewan's wife tagging along was lame, but they had some interesting interactions with the locals later on in the trip. The first half of the series was all pretty lame though, except for the visit to the Moto Guzzi factory, that was cool.

Also, there are definitely ADVrider threads that beat LWD and LWR in every respect.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ClockworkZero posted:

Maybe I was sitting on it wrong?

Unless the seat was rubbing your scalp, there's not a lot of wrong ways. Did you have both feet on the pegs? You usually know right away, if it feels a tad uncomfy in the showroom it will kill your butt on the road.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Unless the seat was rubbing your scalp, there's not a lot of wrong ways. Did you have both feet on the pegs? You usually know right away, if it feels a tad uncomfy in the showroom it will kill your butt on the road.

I couldn't stand it up as it was on the sidestand in the showroom. I did get both feet on the pegs though, leaned over. It just felt too wide at the crotch, I thought maybe my knees needed to be bent differently but you're right, it's kind of hard to sit wrong.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

So, uhh.... is LWR worth watching at least? none of this really sounds like a ringing endorsement...

LWR is VERY, VERY much worth watching. it's excelent. LWD is.. dull.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nerobro posted:

See, I find Africa fairly fascinating so being able to see it in that way, to see it from a perspective you never really get on the news or documentaries was fantastic.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Like Africa?? How about...

quote:

Angola, it's not like they said.

This trip was going to be different.

I for one, have never updated my will before any other trip. And I wasn't alone. Out of the five of us that were going, three updated their wills and/or life insurance policies in the weeks before we left.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251

edit: Oops, the link above might be :nws: at points as there are african tittays in the pix. Think national Geographic.

Silver fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 17, 2008

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Silver posted:

Like Africa?? How about...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251

That's awesome but man that guy sure does talk about how hot the underage girls he posts pictures of there are...

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I watched them the wrong way round. I saw Long Way Round on tv in bits, but I always caught a random episode here or there, and not nessesscerily in the right order. However, when Long Way Down came out, it was on immediately after Top Gear, and it was about motorbikes so I wasn't about to move off the sofa.

I did finally see almost all of Long Way Round in order, I think I got a few episodes into the US. I seem to remember Euan being clunked from behind, but I'm not sure if that was that episode or the "next week on . . ." (not a spoiler, half the drat adverts had that clip).

I felt Long Way Round was definitely better, but I did enjoy Down. Not really sure why I felt Round was more fun, maybe I just prefer the mountains of Mongolia and the forests of Siberia to the plains of Africa, but there did seem to be more aggro between them on Down.

Changing the subject completely, I've finally got a job so I'm actually riding my bike along the same route again and again. It's scary how quickly I can do the Five Bridges when there's nothing else on the roads. On the other hand, jeans really don't protect you from the cold when it's 6am and you're at 60mph. I normally wear my motorbike trousers but I wasn't sure if there would be storage space at work. However, my knees got bloody cold so went back to my proper trousers.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Well, I can only assume that this thread was somehow indirectly responsible for the creation of the new forum (whether it was sigtrap or Coredump having a brain fart on sigtrap's head when he declined closing this). I hope this works out instead of exacerbating the current trend of a lack of cycle discussion since regular AI people probably won't browse here unless they are looking for something specific and W&W already has a mini-monopoly on bicycles...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Eh, I think it'll be fine. Worst case we just get merged back into AI greater.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
You can't have it both ways. If you're not posting motorcycle threads in AI (because they fall back too quickly, a legitimate concern) then you're isolated by either a) huge ungainly megathreads that the rest of AI avoids or b) a subforum that the rest of AI possibly ignores.

Now your threads won't dissapear, at least.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

sigtrap posted:

You can't have it both ways. If you're not posting motorcycle threads in AI (because they fall back too quickly, a legitimate concern) then you're isolated by either a) huge ungainly megathreads that the rest of AI avoids or b) a subforum that the rest of AI possibly ignores.

Yeah, you're right. :)

edit: obligatory negative postcount seriouspost confirmation

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

sigtrap posted:

Plus we got a great deal on the subforum because it's the end of the season.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orange Someone posted:

Changing the subject completely, I've finally got a job so I'm actually riding my bike along the same route again and again. It's scary how quickly I can do the Five Bridges when there's nothing else on the roads. On the other hand, jeans really don't protect you from the cold when it's 6am and you're at 60mph. I normally wear my motorbike trousers but I wasn't sure if there would be storage space at work. However, my knees got bloody cold so went back to my proper trousers.

Rain gear will help a lot, i used to wear mine on cold days even if it wasnt wet as they block the wind. although you really should be wearing some armour all the time, jeans arent nice to crash in.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

sigtrap posted:

Can we have everything that gets posted here duplicated in AI, just because??

Eh I think it will be a good thing as if people want to talk about motorcycles they will come here and check it all out as a focal point instead of having to search all of AI. Plus I was tired of those car shitbirds hijacking our cycles threads :mad:

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Nerobro posted:

LWR had that 'oh poo poo there's no roads here we're in f'n Mongolia also here's this crazy dude in Kazakhstan with guns and a nice house and oh god is he a mobster type' aspect which as cool. It was a good show start to finish.

Race to Dakar was half poo poo and half awesome. The first half was just constant whining and really was a turn-off, but I powered through it and the really crazy Dakar stages salvaged the show.

I really liked LWD once they got through Egypt or so. The rest of Africa looked /awesome/ and had really neat (local and foreign wandering type) people. The motorcycle aspect of the show was less cool than LWR though, and the wife thing just pissed me off until she dropped her bike almost immediately.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I think part of the problem I had with LWD was that almost half of it was cheating (or at least I think so). John o'groats to bottom of italy was some nice filming, but there really wasn't a challenge. Can't actually remember them crossing Europe in LWR, but it's still poo poo-tons less proportionally.

Really didn't get interested in Charley's new one, By Any Means (i think it's called). Watched the first couple of episodes and got bored. I think it was the fact that it was all Charley on camera, if it had lots of Russ and the cameraman as well, I think it would have been better. Half the awesomeness of LWR and LWD was the interaction between Charley and Euan, but this was just Charley talking for the most part. Did reinforce my desire to go to the Isle of Mann though.

Has anyone actually been to the Isle of Mann, either to the TT race or just to ride? Is it as good as it looks?

*edit* Ok, so my geography's off. Scotland to Italy is less than a quarter of the total distance, but it's still proportionally more than the Europe segment on LWR.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 18, 2008

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
Has anyone bought anything from kneedraggers.com ? I've been looking around for an exhaust, and they're the only ones I've found that are carrying a particular part. I'm just not familiar with that website.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
I found an abandoned track today. I took a lot of pictures and probably will be posting a thread soon. So much for the not having fun roads to ride on, now I have a free track! 8 different corners, rumble strips still on the insides, and a quarter or 8th mile front stretch just left all intact on an island 3 minutes from my dorm.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I went by the Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX today to check out the AMS trackday. There were four Desmosedicis there but I only got to see one on the track. It is the most incredible sounding thing with a combustion engine. I also got to see a woman crash her Paul Smart 1000 and another guy absolutely destroyed one of AMS' demo 848s. This was within the hour that I was there.

There was also a guy there on a Bimota DB7 ($40,000). He picked it up that morning and rode it to the track to "break it in'. He was in the expert class and he was keeping up with the fastest riders. Afterwards I went to the shop where he bought it and they told me that he had traded a Ducati 1098R for the DB7.

*Edited to add* One of the instructors was on track on a Gilera Fuoco.

bung fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 18, 2008

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, if Bimota is selling 40K bikes, you would think they could afford a web designer.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
Hah, I remember going to the Bimota website in like 2001 and it hasn't changed a bit. Gorgeous bikes though. On that note, does anyone remember the superbike some artist built awhile back (1990's, I think he was a Kiwi or something?) All I remember is that he raced for a couple of years and then died of cancer shortly after premiering his new awesome motorcycle. The bike was totally unique for the time and amazingly gorgeous.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Phat_Albert posted:

Wow, if Bimota is selling 40K bikes, you would think they could afford a web designer.
Try their Italian website. It's in English too and a bit better looking.
http://www.bimota.it

bung
Dec 14, 2004

AkrisD posted:

Hah, I remember going to the Bimota website in like 2001 and it hasn't changed a bit. Gorgeous bikes though. On that note, does anyone remember the superbike some artist built awhile back (1990's, I think he was a Kiwi or something?) All I remember is that he raced for a couple of years and then died of cancer shortly after premiering his new awesome motorcycle. The bike was totally unique for the time and amazingly gorgeous.

John Britten

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

bung posted:

John Britten

There's one of the 10 Brittens in the world parked in the Solvang motorcycle museum. It's :flashfap: for sure. Everything about it is just...amazing.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I don't think I could stop staring at that DB7 long enough to actually ride it in anger.

I mean, for chrissakes, that swingarm is nearly :nws:

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Trintintin posted:

I found an abandoned track today. I took a lot of pictures and probably will be posting a thread soon. So much for the not having fun roads to ride on, now I have a free track! 8 different corners, rumble strips still on the insides, and a quarter or 8th mile front stretch just left all intact on an island 3 minutes from my dorm.

What?!? That's crazy...do you have any idea why it was abandoned? Are you trespassing by being there? This seems way too good to be true...

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Trintintin posted:

"Build it and they will come...."

See a bunch of guys in leathers and/or helmets wandering around?

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

What?!? That's crazy...do you have any idea why it was abandoned? Are you trespassing by being there? This seems way too good to be true...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2987570
I posted it in AI cause I figured anyone who lives around the area or is visiting would enjoy knowing about it. I have no idea if it's considered trespassing but I'm going to ride it until I get told otherwise. In all honesty everyone there seems really cool with me riding it. It has a tight section that sits between two pieces of golf course and I've gotten friendly waves from a number of golfers already. They close it off at night but open it up during the day, so I can only assume it is left open on purpose.

If you read the thread apparently it was made for champ car racing and it just never fully took off. It is insanely fun and I am putting way to many miles on the bike there. I must have road at least 200 miles there over a two day span this weekend.

Edit: The only people I saw was two people on a scooter putting around, a family having a picnic outside one of the runoffs, some kid hard parking to get some tyte photos, oh, and a ridiculously fast mustang doing hot laps and laying down some rubber.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

something I learned today: a 650 single doesn't rev nearly as high as a 750 v4. Bwwaaaaaah-bababababa oh that's the rev limiter! :doh: upshift! Turns out you need more than one gear to reach highway speed :downs:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ClockworkZero posted:

something I learned today: a 650 single doesn't rev nearly as high as a 750 v4. Bwwaaaaaah-bababababa oh that's the rev limiter! :doh: upshift! Turns out you need more than one gear to reach highway speed :downs:

This is a common problem with people who come off I4s and move to singles or V-twins.

Ask wafflezone how well the limiter works when leaving pit lane. :v:

I did it the first time I got on a SV as well...waiting for the power to hit and BAM the loving rev limiter.

Same with when I test rode my g/f's SV. Twins are geared so drat short, and rev stupid fast in first gear.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I-4's are for people who are too fat and lazy to shift :colbert:

It's even better on something like my DRZ where there isn't a tach. Am I off the rev limiter? Who knows! If it sounds OK keep on the throttle I guess.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Spiffness posted:

It's even better on something like my DRZ where there isn't a tach. Am I off the rev limiter? Who knows! If it sounds OK keep on the throttle I guess.

count me as the latter. I got used to passing in 6th gear without downshifting, now I have to get used to not having a 6th gear to shift up into :). It's fun though, I love this bike!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Spiffness posted:

On my CBR600RR, by 45mph I'm in 6th gear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

gently caress, I counted once: I shift 26-29 times per lap of thunderhill. Figure roughly 10 laps in a session, 8 sessions in a day....around 2500 shifts in one day. I get SV rider's cramp, wrist is constantly bent back from pinning the throttle and my left ankle gets sore from all the loving shifting.

I'm starting to wonder, given how much abuse I've laid out on the SV, how much more it can take. 2 seasons of trackdays with the PO, 2.5 seasons of racing with the PPO, one season of trackdays under me...and nothing but periodic maintenence. I've got 3k or so track only miles on it. Still runs fine, fires right up, shifts like a 'zook...so...ride the fucker into the ground, I guess. :v:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Spiffness posted:

Literbikes, maybe. My friend's ZX-10 redlines 1st gear at 92mph. He could ride that bike everywhere and not shift it once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Literbikes, maybe. My friend's ZX-10 redlines 1st gear at 92mph. He could ride that bike everywhere and not shift it once.

The thing that people don't understand about highly geared literbikes is that while you could ride it like that, you won't. Because when you're doing 50mph, you're right at the bottom of the powerband, and any twitch on the throttle will send the front end skyward. Plus, you're slipping the poo poo out of the clutch just to get it rolling. There were times on my 929 when I'd be slipping the clutch up to 40mph to get it to launch nicely, and that was already regeared. Stock literbikes are a bitch in that regard.

The thing that really mystifies you on a literbike is when you're doing 150mph and you grab a gear and then you're doing 170 and you have ANOTHER loving GEAR. :psyduck: Or when you're riding around in 4th gear on the freeway.