Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Methusulah posted:

I remember finding a CL listing from a guy in Springfrield saying he was selling his 250 because it didn't get him enough chicks. Maybe he's still holding over that angst?

My zx600 and sv650 have never brought me any chicks :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

dietcokefiend posted:

My zx600 and sv650 have never brought me any chicks :smith:

My Thruxton does bring the ladies over once in a while. My wedding ring sends them away. :smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

OrangeFurious posted:

My Thruxton does bring the ladies over once in a while. My wedding ring sends them away. :smith:

At least it attracts the classy sort, right? :haw:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's a known fact that only blue/white gixxers get the babes, sorry guys. Girls care about looks not about your vintage or regular bike with fancy shmancy parts that you take to the track weekly.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
600 miles into riding down to South Texas along the coast.

Been a blast so far, but it turns out I'm pretty retarded on sand:

Not pictured: the results of that gouge in the sand.

Should have a ride report around wednesday or so.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

BMW's bring in the chicks.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 6, 2009

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Christoff posted:

It's a known fact that only blue/white gixxers get the babes, sorry guys. Girls care about looks not about your vintage or regular bike with fancy shmancy parts that you take to the track weekly.

Pssh, my 250 has me 3 chicks lined up for rides. But then there's me being lame and checking with insurance and waiting for another paycheck to get gear for a passenger...

Remember kids, being responsible is for suckers.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Click here for the full 816x612 image.

We ran into this guy 4-5 miles down the beach. He was awesome and knew all the best roads around Dallas.

EDIT: Ross is awesome.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You will be missed :(

2001 gsxr-750

Was asking about $4,000 OBO and just ended up selling it for $3,000. I could have gotten more I bet but I didn't want it sitting around. I put something like $500 or so into it in tires and misc parts. But I got about 6 months out of it.

The title also had "Not actual mileage." Which I did tell him about. So that made things a bit difficult. And that undertail exhaust doesn't look so bad but it was a pos. It started to melt the plastic near the brake master cylinder for the rear brakes. Small leak there. I could have probably sat on it for longer for more but I leave next week so ah well.

I just didn't want it to be sitting around for 6 months at a time while I was gone. (Miltiary).

I will definitely get another bike in the future. Now I get to decide which! Probably will be a later model gsxr 750. Between 04-06.

The guy had his friend ride it back and he could barely touch the ground. And he hadn't ridden in a long time. Pretty sure it will be droped on the way home.

Oh, and I know the 250 to 500 cc comparison is a dead horse, but...

quote:

Some people have already told me a 750 may be to powerful to start on. But others have told me to get a 750 because i will be sick of a 600 in a frew months. I know a 750 is a fairly powerful bike, but a bike only goes as quick as you push it. Its not as if i will get on it and go full throttle from day 1.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 6, 2009

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

and she'll buy something new or we'll fix this one up all pretty.

The insurance is very likely to total that bike. Buy it back and use the cash to fix it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Can anyone tell me where the idea that a helmet won't do you any good at speed comes from? I live in a state that does not require helmets, and all I hear is how at 60 mph a helmet won't help because you're dead anyway. Or that it won't help because you're brain smashes into the front of your skull during a wreck and you'll just end up a vegetable and people would rather be dead than paralyzed. Very little gear wearing here, some helmets and jackets, but mostly just shorts and t-shirts.

Also, heard a good one from my sister. One of her co-workers came in wearing chaps, and she got into a discussion about gear with him. Apparently he told her that the best thing to wear is a vest. He said you have to hold your arms and legs up superman style to keep from getting rash. He said he didn't do this correctly when he fell of his bike while doing a wheelie. :rolleyes:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Armyman25 posted:

Can anyone tell me where the idea that a helmet won't do you any good at speed comes from? I live in a state that does not require helmets, and all I hear is how at 60 mph a helmet won't help because you're dead anyway. Or that it won't help because you're brain smashes into the front of your skull during a wreck and you'll just end up a vegetable and people would rather be dead than paralyzed. Very little gear wearing here, some helmets and jackets, but mostly just shorts and t-shirts.

Also, heard a good one from my sister. One of her co-workers came in wearing chaps, and she got into a discussion about gear with him. Apparently he told her that the best thing to wear is a vest. He said you have to hold your arms and legs up superman style to keep from getting rash. He said he didn't do this correctly when he fell of his bike while doing a wheelie. :rolleyes:

People are idiots and make up BS reasons to not wear gear and gullible people believe them.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Armyman25 posted:

and all I hear is how at 60 mph a helmet won't help because you're dead anyway.

If that's correct, I'm posting from hell right now. I've had more than a few crashes at above 80 mph, and the only things that didn't survive was my gear and especially my helmets. Don't listen to stupidity like this.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
according to 'twist of the wrist', and my experience crashing cars, you should go limp when you get in an accident. How true is this?

and of course you need to be wearing as much gear as you can get, boots especially. My A* SMX4's saved my feet in a lowish speed accident last year

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

aventari posted:

according to 'twist of the wrist', and my experience crashing cars, you should go limp when you get in an accident. How true is this?

and of course you need to be wearing as much gear as you can get, boots especially. My A* SMX4's saved my feet in a lowish speed accident last year

I went limp when I lowsided the VFR and just let myself tumble down the road. I believe it is the reason I didn't feel the soreness the next day/day after that that they said I was going to at the ER. I guess the idea is if you tense up, you REALLY tense up and your muscles will hurt in a few days.

Also my grandfather fell down a pretty good flight of stairs once (even did a backflip) and didn't break any bones because he was limp (drunk).

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Armyman25 posted:

Can anyone tell me where the idea that a helmet won't do you any good at speed comes from? I live in a state that does not require helmets, and all I hear is how at 60 mph a helmet won't help because you're dead anyway.
Well, they're likely correct if your head collides directly with a stationary object, like a tree or guardrail at over 60mph. However, it will absolutely be better for you in those other crash instances where you slide. It also is good (fullface ones, anyway) at keeping flying debris off your face.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Armyman25 posted:

The result of a 90mph headslide. I went off the track and headfirst through my windshield when the front end of the bike dug in, followed by that scrape on the very top of my helmet.

Blaster,

That bike was salvaged due to a crack in the frame that I didn't notice on first inspection. It's now my racebike.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Well, I put $250 down on a 2006 Speed Triple yesterday (looks like the one below almost exactly). It's got ~4200 miles or so, and it's all black. I don't have any pics yet because a) I didn't think of it while I was there and b) it was too new at the distributor for them to have got around to taking pictures yet.

It looks like this one below, and apart from replacing the back tire (which has a suspicious looking flatness in the middle, while the front still has plenty of life -- likely indicating burnouts?), my first order of business will be picking up the little flyscreen for the gauges. Oh, and it sounds loving awesome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

sklnd posted:

600 miles into riding down to South Texas along the coast.

Been a blast so far, but it turns out I'm pretty retarded on sand:

Not pictured: the results of that gouge in the sand.

Should have a ride report around wednesday or so.

That transalp is far to hot to ever be dropped, you have been warned.

That looks like a nice beach though, where is that?

Looking forward to your ride report.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

Blaster,

That bike was salvaged due to a crack in the frame that I didn't notice on first inspection. It's now my racebike.

Great! It's extremely rare that any modern bike involved in an accident above 10-15 mph will be repaired by the insurance company. It's usually just too costly in plastic, labor and unsatisfied customers. That's also why insurance for unseasoned riders is loving expensive. Glad you salvaged it. If you know your poo poo, like you obviously do, there's always great value in salvaged bikes.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Fantastipotamus posted:

Well, I put $250 down on a 2006 Speed Triple yesterday (looks like the one below almost exactly). It's got ~4200 miles or so, and it's all black. I don't have any pics yet because a) I didn't think of it while I was there and b) it was too new at the distributor for them to have got around to taking pictures yet.

It looks like this one below, and apart from replacing the back tire (which has a suspicious looking flatness in the middle, while the front still has plenty of life -- likely indicating burnouts?), my first order of business will be picking up the little flyscreen for the gauges. Oh, and it sounds loving awesome.

The Speed Triple is a wonderful bike - congratulations. A few things to note:

They are sensitive to break-in. If the PO followed Triumph's advice in the manual the engine may have lost around 5hp and developed a leak or burns oil. I've seen this happen a few times. The Triple owners I know usually prefer to break in with 50, 100, 250 and 500 mile oil changes.

Triumph doesn't strictly follow their model year components - it's not uncommon to buy an '06 or '07 and find components from previous years that shouldn't be on your year. I get the feeling Hinckley just uses what they have around. Be careful when ordering parts.

British Customs is your friend. https://www.british-customs.com If you're local to LA Miles at DIA Motorsports is also your friend. Be wary of dealership service departments that deal with multiple brands - Triumphs are weird. If the mechanics are accustomed to working on Hondas and Kawis, they may inadvertently harm your bike. OTD CycleSports required four attempts to change a head-gasket on my friends S3. They never got it right.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

OrangeFurious posted:

The Speed Triple is a wonderful bike - congratulations. A few things to note:

They are sensitive to break-in. If the PO followed Triumph's advice in the manual the engine may have lost around 5hp and developed a leak or burns oil. I've seen this happen a few times. The Triple owners I know usually prefer to break in with 50, 100, 250 and 500 mile oil changes.

Triumph doesn't strictly follow their model year components - it's not uncommon to buy an '06 or '07 and find components from previous years that shouldn't be on your year. I get the feeling Hinckley just uses what they have around. Be careful when ordering parts.

British Customs is your friend. https://www.british-customs.com If you're local to LA Miles at DIA Motorsports is also your friend. Be wary of dealership service departments that deal with multiple brands - Triumphs are weird. If the mechanics are accustomed to working on Hondas and Kawis, they may inadvertently harm your bike. OTD CycleSports required four attempts to change a head-gasket on my friends S3. They never got it right.
Thanks! The shop is still going to do a thorough inspection of the bike, so if they find anything mechanically incorrect, I can back out and get my $250 back. I guess I have to trust them to be forthright with the information (especially oil leaks -- btw where would I look to see the telltale signs of an oil leak? Just around the filter? or are there specific seals to examine? Burning oil will obviously be harder to manage. I have no idea the maintenance history on this bike, but it was bought from a dealer, so I may be able find that out).

I've heard (by reading Wiki) about some of the parts controversy, but it looks like the ECU/brake upgrades came on the 2007MY in theory (though some 07's looked to have the older brakes/ECU's). Hopefully (stressing 'hopefully') it won't need any major internal work. I do have a Triumph/BMW dealer thats about 30 minutes south of my place, so I could get stuff done there, if necessary.

Thanks for that link, I've been looking for a good parts link to have on hand. :) Here's hoping this one looks to be a-okay. There really don't seem to be a lot of naked bikes running in the 130hp range. I did some looking around (and sat on the MV Agusta Brutale, but my legs are too long for the knee cutouts in the tank), and really didn't come up with much. Even the new Ducati Monster 1100 only make 99hp. This one definitely seemed like one of the better options (I wasn't really a big fan of the FZ6 look), and offered the best tradeoff of speed/insurance quotients.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Armyman25 posted:

Or that it won't help because you're brain smashes into the front of your skull during a wreck and you'll just end up a vegetable and people would rather be dead than paralyzed.

It's counter-intuitive, but not wearing a helmet is more likely to result in you ending up with brain damage or being a vegetable. The reason is that if you hit something hard enough for that to happen while wearing a helmet, you will likely die from other massive injuries anyway. However, a minor tipover without a helmet that normally would have you walking away laughing could cause massive brain damage without a lid.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Fantastipotamus posted:

Thanks! The shop is still going to do a thorough inspection of the bike, so if they find anything mechanically incorrect, I can back out and get my $250 back. I guess I have to trust them to be forthright with the information (especially oil leaks -- btw where would I look to see the telltale signs of an oil leak? Just around the filter? or are there specific seals to examine? Burning oil will obviously be harder to manage. I have no idea the maintenance history on this bike, but it was bought from a dealer, so I may be able find that out).

I've heard (by reading Wiki) about some of the parts controversy, but it looks like the ECU/brake upgrades came on the 2007MY in theory (though some 07's looked to have the older brakes/ECU's). Hopefully (stressing 'hopefully') it won't need any major internal work. I do have a Triumph/BMW dealer thats about 30 minutes south of my place, so I could get stuff done there, if necessary.

Thanks for that link, I've been looking for a good parts link to have on hand. :) Here's hoping this one looks to be a-okay. There really don't seem to be a lot of naked bikes running in the 130hp range. I did some looking around (and sat on the MV Agusta Brutale, but my legs are too long for the knee cutouts in the tank), and really didn't come up with much. Even the new Ducati Monster 1100 only make 99hp. This one definitely seemed like one of the better options (I wasn't really a big fan of the FZ6 look), and offered the best tradeoff of speed/insurance quotients.

Have you ridden the triple yet? It's not only one of the few high horsepower naked bikes, it has astounding torque. It feels like 100% of the engine is pulling as soon as you twist the throttle. I don't own one given how much trouble I'd get into on it. It's a fine bike in every imaginable sense. Again, congrats.

As far as oil issues go, I'd look around the major gaskets for leaks and hold a napkin or something to the exhaust while it starts and idles to see if there's any oil spatter. If the bike has oil and you don't see any drips or little black specs on the napkin you're most likely safe. Even if it does burn a bit of oil, it's not a big deal if you stay on top of it. One of the dealers around here doesn't like to fix burning oil on the 1050cc engines - their take is to check it regularly, refill as needed, and deal.

OrangeFurious fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 6, 2009

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

PlasticSun posted:

The transalp isn't mine. That's blugu64s. I'm riding an army green 01 KLR (not pictured)

That's at Padre Island National Seashore, about a mile down the beach. They let you go all the way down the island, but that was not for me.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

PlasticSun posted:

Click here for the full 1224x918 image.

Thanks! The previous owner laid it down pretty hard on the other side though.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

OrangeFurious posted:

Have you ridden the triple yet? It's not only one of the few high horsepower naked bikes, it has astounding torque. It feels like 100% of the engine is pulling as soon as you twist the throttle. I don't own one given how much trouble I'd get into on it. It's a fine bike in every imaginable sense. Again, congrats.

As far as oil issues go, I'd look around the major gaskets for leaks and hold a napkin or something to the exhaust while it starts and idles to see if there's any oil spatter. If the bike has oil and you don't see any drips or little black specs on the napkin you're most likely safe. Even if it does burn a bit of oil, it's not a big deal if you stay on top of it. One of the dealers around here doesn't like to fix burning oil on the 1050cc engines - their take is to check it regularly, refill as needed, and deal.
I haven't had a chance to ride it unfortunately, as the dealers around here are jerks about test rides. I understand the trepidation on their part, what with the skill required (especially setting rear end on an unfamiliar bike), but jesus, this isn't a pair of pants you get home only to find out you don't like how they fit. That was one of the main reasons I didn't go bigger (like an R1) because I can't tell if it's going to just be too scary to ride, or too uncomfortable.

Oh well, that's my diatribe about test rides. I know some dealerships allow them, but this one does not, so I have to do all the test research and see how it is after I've shelled out my $6k.

Thanks for the advice about the oil, before I pay, I'll run that little test myself. Burning oil I can deal with.. leaking oil I'd be less pleased about.

And yes, it looks like a ton of fun to ride, and I'm really looking forward to it. The torque was one of the reasons I liked the triple over some of the 4-cylinder bikes out there. My Buell has 80lb-ft out of its twin, so I'm thinking it'll be similar to that, only when the Buell runs out of revs, this still has another 7k (and 30% more hp to dish out). :)

edit: and yeah, what's with the low number of 100+ hp naked sportsbikes out there? I could find very few options. I looked at the FZ6/FZ1, but I wasn't a big fan of the styling. As mentioned before, I didn't fit on the Agusta Brutale (legs too long), almost happy about this though, reliability questionable, parts difficult to find, local dealer to potentially do work not present, etc. I did take a long look at this SV1000S, which looks great, but is ultimately only about a 4hp increase from my Buell. My buddy just picked up a Benelli TNT, which has plenty of power, but the looks turned me off. *shrug* I dunno, I guess you can't make a bike for everyone, but it just seems at first blush like it's a lacking area. It should also be noted I wasn't looking for an '08 or '09 for insurance reasons.

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 6, 2009

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

blugu64 posted:

Click here for the full 1224x918 image.

Thanks! The previous owner laid it down pretty hard on the other side though.

I hope after you bought it you hit him with a rolled up newspaper, like a naughty puppy.

Cool beach though I've never ridden in Texas, perhaps I need to remedy that.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

sklnd posted:

The transalp isn't mine. That's blugu64s. I'm riding an army green 01 KLR (not pictured)

That's at Padre Island National Seashore, about a mile down the beach. They let you go all the way down the island, but that was not for me.

Next time you encounter a beach like that shift up into second shortly after starting. Stand up and keep your weight back on the bike I find it helpful to actually lean backwards on the pegs with my heel acting as a pivot. Don't put much pressure on the bars and try to keep a solid 25-30mph. If you do that the front wheel will ski over the top of the sand and the bike will feel pretty stable overall. Use your legs to steer the bike with the pegs rather than using a lot of input on the bars, to stop use the rear brake and back off the throttle slowly.

That seems to work pretty well for me but I still go down in sand from time to time. Now you've got me looking forward to Wednesday.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

Great! It's extremely rare that any modern bike involved in an accident above 10-15 mph will be repaired by the insurance company. It's usually just too costly in plastic, labor and unsatisfied customers. That's also why insurance for unseasoned riders is loving expensive. Glad you salvaged it. If you know your poo poo, like you obviously do, there's always great value in salvaged bikes.

Yup. I've got a couple of salvaged bikes in the garage at the moment...the g/f's Z1000, my racebike and the ZX6R I'm building.

As to test rides, I wouldn't buy a bike without a test ride of some sort. I don't mind signing everything up and all if I'm serious, but I wouldn't buy a bike, especially a used one, without a test ride. I'd imagine if you bitched enough they'd let you take one.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Uthor posted:

It's counter-intuitive, but not wearing a helmet is more likely to result in you ending up with brain damage or being a vegetable. The reason is that if you hit something hard enough for that to happen while wearing a helmet, you will likely die from other massive injuries anyway. However, a minor tipover without a helmet that normally would have you walking away laughing could cause massive brain damage without a lid.

I completely agree. My best argument is to tell someone wearing shorts and a t-shirt to imagine running as fast as they can then belly flop onto concrete. Then I tell them to multiply that by 10 or 20 for the amount of skinned up they would be after a low speed wreck.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This guy's just plain loving cool

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

That guy is properly loving nuts. "Aww, gently caress it, drive chain's screwed, here's some loving vicegrips, that'll handle it".

At least that's what I think he said, he types with an accent. :psyduck:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 7, 2009

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

aventari posted:

Very true. If you tense right up you'll add muscle/tendon/ligament damage to the list of your injuries. The forces your limbs can undergo in a crash a much stronger than you. It's why drunk drivers often come through crashes unscathed.

NoCleverName
Nov 16, 2006

Spiffness posted:

This is simultaneously hilarious and awesome. He was two miles from his destination and the bike finally gave out.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
So the motorcycle that my mechanic has had for almost three months that I thought would never get done?

Yeah, it's ready. Just have to wait until my Dad gets here, then we can run and grab it. Hell yes.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Sold my Honda Scrambler.

On the fence about Buell Heads and Andrews Cams or getting an 18 inch rear wheel and works rear shocks to jack the bike up to flattrack spec.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
gently caress.

gently caress gently caress gently caress!

Melted a drat hole in my pants! I can't figure out how it happened either. It's on my outside right leg. The only thing near it is the muffler, and it's six inches behind it. And it's not on the inside or back, where I could accidentally rest my leg on it or anything. And my wrist is about to fall off from the clutch. Holy jesus.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ya, hi, welcome to my world.

The 690 burned the inside of my right pant leg completely off basically. I have a pair of jeans that literally caught on fire. All my backpacks have melt spots from the exhaust, and my girlfriends leg has been severely burned.

Good times.

Solution for me: More aggressive use of the pegs... passengers stop you from backing it in anyway so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just got back from a weeklong ride to Vancouver Island. Will eventually post pictures, as well as from earlier rides this summer. Thanks to Simkin for the bomb around Victoria, and to the vicissitudes of mother nature for the holy gently caress incredible amounts of whales.