Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I always wondered why they always had exhaust to the front, but figured it was a holdover from the days when they were all air cooled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Retarded Pimp posted:

I always wondered why they always had exhaust to the front, but figured it was a holdover from the days when they were all air cooled.

There as a bit in Cycle World about it a long time ago. Something about needing to do it so they could engineer the proper air box/intake runners/exhaust manifolds. Turned around made it difficult to get the proper lengths or something.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Remember, carbs are big. Intakes need to be straight to be effective. They just fit better behind the engine. Exhausts work fine when curved. Also, 2 strokes... :-)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lots of 2-stroke guys back in the day did that as kind of a ram-air thing. It was helped by the fact that there was no valvetrain, so most cylinders could be straight up flipped with no real issues.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Anybody else going to Rice-O-Rama this Sunday? I'll be there on my (not-entered-for-consideration) 1979 CB750. You'll probably find me looking for vintage fairings or some crap.

Poorly edited website here:

http://www.rice-o-rama.com/

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I rode a Ninja 250 back in July for a friend of my dad. And because of that I can now say I'm a magazine test rider :smug::

All I got out of it was a really sore rear end because that bike definitely is not meant to be ridden almost 400 miles.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Let see, first impressions of the Speed Triple.. Right out of the gate, the extra 30hp over my Lightning were evident. It pulls very well, revs nicely (though I'm not used to the revs dropping so quickly), and gently caress if it isn't almost silent compared to my Buell. The Buell was deafening even at low speeds with a helmet on, but this bike is very quiet.

Riding position is slightly more aggressive than the Buell, but far from uncomfortable. The shifting also requires substantially less effort than the Buell, which I'm used to putting a bunch of effort into. In fact, I'd almost say it's going to require a conscious effort to go light on it, so I don't break the linkage.

I think I'm going to really like this bike. I didn't immediately miss my Buell once I got started on it, so that's definitely a good sign.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga
Three Africa Twins vs Afghanistan

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Deeters posted:

All I got out of it was a really sore rear end because that bike definitely is not meant to be ridden almost 400 miles.

You are mistaken

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The Ben Spies Method

Yes, You will watch it. ALL THE WAY THROUGH TO THE END. And You will be amused.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

You are mistaken

The Ninja 250 was never meant to be ridden off cliffs, or over open water

The Ninja 250 cannot make you a cheese sandwich

The Ninja 250 will gently caress up horribly if asked to be the best man at your wedding

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Phy posted:

The Ninja 250 was never meant to be ridden off cliffs, or over open water

The Ninja 250 cannot make you a cheese sandwich

The Ninja 250 will gently caress up horribly if asked to be the best man at your wedding

Go pick on someone with your own displacement. :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aw dang and I sold my sherpa like two years ago

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My buddies dad just bought an 07 Yamaha TW200, and I test drove it this morning. Amazingly smooth bike, and oh so flickable. I think I see one in my future.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

My buddies dad just bought an 07 Yamaha TW200, and I test drove it this morning. Amazingly smooth bike, and oh so flickable. I think I see one in my future.

Great bikes made better by rox speed anti-vibe risers, steel bbs, and heavy bar-ends.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 12, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MotoMind posted:

Great bikes made better by rox speed anti-vibe risers, steel bbs, and heavy bar-ends.

It didnt seem too vibey to me, but then again I really didnt wring it out much either.

I need something for around town runabout duties and backroad bombing, and since the Kawi is seemingly permanently dead, a TW seems like a good choice.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

T-Dubin

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Well, what was supposed to be a quick oil change before dinner turned into a two and a half hour affair. First I nearly dropped the bike when I was under it thanks to a way overtightened drain plug, draining went okay but I was wondering why my bolts that hold the filter cover on had a hump in the middle. Very odd. New filter goes in, cover goes back on.

I'm there tightening the bolts for what seems like forever, take off my socket and it's pushed the caps off. What the gently caress. Up until this point I thought it was just a bolt with a round head but no, it's a nut and a bolt(Or a stud. Apparently they're supposed to stay on the bike). I take it out and whats on the threads? loving aluminum. Stripped the drat threads. I consult with my dad then venture to the parts store to buy a Helicoil.

It took a while, but it's holding now. Lord almighty I bet when I put a new chain on there the whole thing will just explode, just to gently caress with me.

Edit: Man. Was on a post oil change ride when I pull up nest to this little inn. Some kids RUN to the fence, yelling at me and everything, I give them a wave and plan on taking off...A bit faster then I should have. I get ready, let out the clutch...! The engine stutters, and I roll through the intersection at a brisk walk. Sorry little kids :(

Chairon fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 13, 2009

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Chairon posted:

Sorry little kids :(
I was taking my two year old son out for a walk on Sunday morning when I noticed a sport bike on the road. I pointed it out to my son, "Look son, there's a motorcycle that's sorta like the one I ride." The biker noticed us and honked the horn and took off which made my son's day. I was secretly hoping it was a goon.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

RichBomb posted:

Three Africa Twins vs Afghanistan

That guy now operates a tour company that's really reasonably priced. I think their Tour de Pamir which is Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan is $4300 bucks and includes an Africa Twin Rental. Eidleweise is $6000 for a Chinese bike to do a similar tour but shorter and with fewer riding days.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Crayvex posted:

I was taking my two year old son out for a walk on Sunday morning when I noticed a sport bike on the road. I pointed it out to my son, "Look son, there's a motorcycle that's sorta like the one I ride." The biker noticed us and honked the horn and took off which made my son's day. I was secretly hoping it was a goon.

I saw a father and son this weekend, and the father was gesturing towards a Stingray Corvette, and the kids face was glued to the window towards me. This never gets old :D

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Someone parked a 1098 S in front of the building on my way back to lunch.

That kind of flagrant indecent exposure should be illegal :colbert:

God drat those bikes are sexy.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga

PlasticSun posted:

That guy now operates a tour company that's really reasonably priced. I think their Tour de Pamir which is Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan is $4300 bucks and includes an Africa Twin Rental. Eidleweise is $6000 for a Chinese bike to do a similar tour but shorter and with fewer riding days.
Hmmm, wonder if I could get a discount if I shot a promo video for them. Assuming the video camera didn't get rededicated to producing video communique's for extremist right wing terrorists.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

RichBomb posted:

Hmmm, wonder if I could get a discount if I shot a promo video for them. Assuming the video camera didn't get rededicated to producing video communique's for extremist right wing terrorists.

The need something, their website is pretty bare bones. They should just take all the pictures they've posted on ADV and have captions like "This could be you! Ride with us and be awesome all day."

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

PlasticSun posted:

The need something, their website is pretty bare bones. They should just take all the pictures they've posted on ADV and have captions like "This could be you! Ride with us and be awesome all day."

And if they could get Bill and Ted to do the voice over it'd be perfect.

EDIT: Dropping your bike is totally bogus dude.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I watched Long Way Round last night, staying up way too late in the process, and have the urge to go ride where people just don't go because why the gently caress would you.

Except not the rear end-end of Russia or Mongolia. Those fuckers were lucky to get through there, holy hell.

redscare fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 15, 2009

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

redscare posted:

I watched Long Way Round last night, staying up way too late in the process, and have the urge to go ride where people just don't go because why the gently caress would you.

Except not the rear end-end of Russia or Mongolia. Those fuckers were lucky to get through there, holy hell.

I strongly recommend checking out Riding Solo to the Top of the World or One Crazy Ride by Dirt Track Productions.

You can see trailers of their stuff here: http://dirttrackproductions.com/trailers/ridingsolo/index.html

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Bungee cords rock! In the backpack is a loaf of french bread too. Also locked up my rear tire for the first time today. Was coming home, took the turn onto my street and heard what sounded exactly like a million beer and soda cans falling over the street. Hit the brakes, locked the rear and rode it out. Gave myself a pat on the back for that one. And all the beer and soda was safe.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

My hero
edit:

Dinner Time!

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 16, 2009

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

It didnt seem too vibey to me, but then again I really didnt wring it out much either.

I need something for around town runabout duties and backroad bombing, and since the Kawi is seemingly permanently dead, a TW seems like a good choice.

poo poo there's one of those for cheap around me. Tempting as hell.

http://lawton.craigslist.org/mcy/1374851477.html

I'd been thinking of getting a DRZ 400 SM so I could do street and dirt, but this is so cheap I could just get a street bike later and have a bike that could actually commute on the highway. Should I do it? I already emailed the guy about miles.

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 16, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, thats an amazing price! I see TW's from the 80's going for that price near me.

If its actually legit, I'd do it for that price.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Is there such a thing as None of your gear All of the time? :haw:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I live near Ocala and that is not surprising at all. The Ocala Hooters is a good destination for a motorcycle ride because a road (sr 225) on the way that contains 7 of the 8 total curves in northern Florida.

I've mentioned it many times, but riding without gear and DUI are basically the only thing non-sportbikers around here like to do.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Naked and drunk at 2x the legal limit, great combination

This'll be his fifth DUI too holy poo poo

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Doctor Zero posted:

What's the difference between that and all your gear, none of the time?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

IAMKOREA posted:

poo poo there's one of those for cheap around me. Tempting as hell.

http://lawton.craigslist.org/mcy/1374851477.html

I'd been thinking of getting a DRZ 400 SM so I could do street and dirt, but this is so cheap I could just get a street bike later and have a bike that could actually commute on the highway. Should I do it? I already emailed the guy about miles.

That should be an instant-buy at that price, unless something is seriously wrong with it. If you end up not liking it you could easily get another $500 out of it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Orange Someone posted:

What's the difference between that and all your gear, none of the time?

Possession of said gear.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Sloppy posted:

That should be an instant-buy at that price, unless something is seriously wrong with it. If you end up not liking it you could easily get another $500 out of it.

8700 miles, I hope it's still there on Friday because if it is it's going to be mine.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

redscare posted:

Naked and drunk at 2x the legal limit, great combination

This'll be his fifth DUI too holy poo poo

That's really amazing. This guy should play the lottery.

Once he gets out of jail, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

sirbeefalot posted:

That's really amazing. This guy should play the lottery.

Once he gets out of jail, of course.

That black cop was enjoying the naked man way too much.