Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
I posted a while ago about the bike i'm working on- a 1981 Yamaha XT250, and how it didn't run when i bought it. I knew I wasn't getting any spark so i replaced the plug, went over the entire wiring set hoping that it was just a broken connection or something, and tested all the wiring and the coil for continuity. Everything seemed fine, but whatever I did I just couldn't start it, even by push.

So like an Idiot i finally remembered to replace the gas in the tank with fresh stuff, and it push started fine and ran fine enough, just really hot due to little oil.

So since I'm not getting spark, and all the wires are totally fine, with what looks like a fine working coil and no killswitch shorts, what should I be checking here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Nerobro posted:

There's something missing here. if it ran.. it had spark.

Sorry- Theres no spark if I kickstart it. Push starting it, it runs fine.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

MrKatharsis posted:

Battery has a charge?

Yup. Fully charged, but I dunno if it would make a difference in it not starting after a kickstart. Theres no electric start on the bike, its too old.

I was wondering how someone tests a magneto.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Nerobro posted:

Did idle once push started? I think you're blaming the wrong thing. I forgot, what sort of bike is it?

Magnetos are easy to test. CDI's aren't.

Once the bike is push started, everything runs and idles fine. It just wont do poo poo if I kickstart it.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Oh, and the bike is an 81 Yamaha XT250

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Nerobro posted:

I hate to say this.. Everything points to a problem with the starter, not the bike.

Tell us the procedure you're using for kickstarting the bike?

Its usually a number of things or little changes, but Ignition on, Engine Switch on, Petcock on, Clutch in, In Neutral Gear, Kick, then kick many more times. Usually theres other things like Choke on or off, but I can try any variation and still not have it start. But the procedure I just listed is pretty much what I do.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Gnomad posted:

I had similar sorta starting problems with my project XT250. I had good spark, maybe too good, the kickback was really ugly, in fact I think it broke something internally as the kickstart lever will sometimes jam up solid.
I got so disgusted with it that I rolled it outside. The ground thawedm the bike fell over and is now frozen to the ground and I can hardly be bothered to care at this point.

I actually very tempted to call up the local small engine class at the Tech high school and have them come get it.

Thank god im not at that point.

Bugdrvr posted:

If the clutch is in, the motor isn't spinning when you kick I don't think? On all my old Hondas it was like that at least. Try kicking it leaving the clutch alone.

The motor will spin fine w/compression, but no spark from what I can see.

Nerobro: I'll give it a try. Every time I've tried kicking it before I've alternated between just giving it a few firm, followed through kicks and then other things when it doesn't start.

I'll give these all a try, and would love any more suggestions. You've all been super helpful.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Uthor posted:

Other than totally overloading the rear rack on my bike, nothing out of the ordinary. I did follow my friend when he rode with a chainsaw sticking out from the back of his bike. That was interesting.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

IAMKOREA posted:

poo poo there's one of those for cheap around me. Tempting as hell.

http://lawton.craigslist.org/mcy/1374851477.html

I'd been thinking of getting a DRZ 400 SM so I could do street and dirt, but this is so cheap I could just get a street bike later and have a bike that could actually commute on the highway. Should I do it? I already emailed the guy about miles.

That price is crazy good

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Been having a recurring issue on my '90 DR350.

After putting about 500 miles on my DR, this issue suddenly came up. After starting the bike up and letting it warm up, or riding it for at least ten minutes or so, The engine starts to rev like crazy and stay around 5k or so, even with the clutch in, downshifting to a stop, and will stay at 5k even at a dead stop. Eventually the bike just wants to stay there. It starts off completely normal, and eventually does this.

At first, I had thought maybe the throttle cable was sticking. Replaced cable (cable was old anyway) and didnt solve anything. Ran some seafoam through it, didnt solve anything. Rotated the carb, cleaned out the float bowl, float wasnt sticking, blew out the jets, didnt work. So I thought maybe it was an intake leak, replaced the intake manifold and manifold gasket, and thought I might get lucky, but no go. I'm a little out of options here: The Carb works and isnt sticky. The Air Filter Element is new. The Intake isnt leaking. What is causing the bike to overrev when warmed up?

Chill_Bebop fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 5, 2009

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Bugdrvr posted:

Nice!
I spent the day pulling the carbs off the Bandit and making a list of things I need to buy. Then I went for a ride into the hills with a friend. Pretty CA Christmas here too.

I wanna know where you keep getting these bike deals. Remember that I'm over in Encinitas if you ever wanted any help. I will will steal your Bandit 400 from you

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Bugdrvr posted:

I just seem to get lucky on Craigslist sometimes. Not always though. The kind of running Ninja was kind of in 1000 pieces. It would have made a nice project but I'm out of room. Need to get a storage unit or something.
Hit me up if you want to hang out. I'm always either breaking or fixing something on someones bike.

You can help get my CB200 up and running sometime- I'm basically stumped as to why it refuses to idle and has no power, even after going through every possible thing. Let me know if you are ever near the coast, I'm not particularly a beginner mechanic but I always like hearing other's input.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Bugdrvr posted:

Heck yeah I'll help you with the CB. I love working on old bikes, Hondas especially. IM me sometime this weekend if you want. I'm doing some stuff on the Bandit but it will only take a few hours. I can ride up and check it out if you want.

Whats your IM Address? TheRealKarlMarx has never shown up on my AIM contacts list.

Look in my profile for all my contact info.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Nerobro posted:

Did you post a thread about it? :-)

I might as well, now :P

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Phat_Albert posted:

Ugh, loving advrider has a DR650 thread that is at this time, two thousand and sixty pages

I'm on page 50 and I know I'm going to wind up going through the whole thing, since I'm so hot for DR650's right now.

Dudes are talking about how they're ditching their BMW's and KTM's for DR650's :psypop: I knew they were capable bikes, but I never knew it was like that.

I was gay for all DRs until I started having issues with mine, and my friends have started having issues with theirs, but they've also been making the things for so long I'm sure you won't get stumped. They are way cooler than the KLR650, thats for sure.

I thought about one, but I still have lingering issues with them. I'm buying an XR650 instead.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Phat_Albert posted:

What sort of issues? I know the early 2nd-gen 650's had paper base gaskets that could leak, but thats all I've heard about them.

I don't want to list my examples with my DR350, since thats just another bike experience, but out of a group of riders I belong to, almost everyone who's had a DR650 has had nonstop carb issues, one after another. I'm not sure of the reasons, but they just clog really easy, get out of original spec real fast, and apparently hate having gas in them for any small length of time. I dont really get why, but they hate being stored with a full float bowl, and not even any long period of time, I mean like 2 weeks max and the one I saw had starting issues. Your experience may vary, but it seems like everyone I know who had them picked them up cheap, spent a fair bit adding their farkles, and then is just sort of not impressed after owning them for a length of time. Again, what you and others take away from them may be different. This is compared to KLR650s, XR650s, TW200s and other common trail bikes.

I hear riding them is kind of underwhelming. But drat, they are pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Phat_Albert posted:

Huh, thats weird. I wont discount the issues that your buddies have had with them, but I have 4 of the same DR650 carbs in my Bandit, and they're absolutely phenomenal carbs (well as phenomenal as CV carbs can be).

I'll bear that in mind though, and I do appreciate that you mentioned that people fell out of love with them and felt they were underwhelming. I'm really wondering what they're like to ride, because I've owned a DRZ-400SM, and the DR650 makes about the same power, with more torque, and more weight. I'm thinking that they should be pretty similar, but who knows? Their quarter mile times are about 0.4 seconds apart.

I'm also leaning towards the DR650 as opposed to another DRZ400 because I want something good on the highway, and something that I can take to the UP to go trail riding. I hear that the DRZ-SM's blow seals when taken offroad, because they're valved for the street.

Finally, I'd like to buy some SM rims and spokes and have them laced to a spare set of DR hubs and be able to swap between supermoto and trail trim at a whim.

The DR650 feels like 25% more bike than the DRZ400. Like I said, I only own a DR350, but I've been on both the DRZ400 and the DR650, and the DR650 definately feels like more of a big pig. I'm sure it will be better at highway speeds as well, but sometimes trying to make a Dual Sport do too much will make it feel like its not really well suited for any one task. Go ahead and ride a DR650, I thought it felt alot less of a pig than a KLR, but still pretty big, and I'm 6'3

Have you looked at the regular non-SM DRZ400S? I occasionally see them going for pretty cheap, and it looks like a great combo trail/road machine. To be honest i'd kind of rather have a DRZ400S than an SM, just so I could actually use it as a commuter + Trail fun bike. Gearing it taller might help out alot.

Maybe its just what the rider wants: im sure the 650 does alot better on Highways, but for my needs I prefer a smaller, lightweight, midrange displacement bike that doesn't feel like its always a handful. What you want may be different.