Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Lady riders, here's your Harley!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/940268231.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

redscare posted:

Also wear a loving helmet. That dude probably wouldn't be an inch away from death if he was wearing a lid.

loving Florida.

It's not just Florida. My aunt and uncle just bought scooters. They showed me a picture of them on them. 'Don't we look cute?'

They were wearing those stupid half helmets and no other gear. I tried to explain why this was a bad idea but they weren't having any of it.

I'll have to cross my fingers and hope they don't get hit. I wish you had to get a license for those drat things.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Z3n posted:

Are there even any scoots under 50ccs that people would refer to as scooters and not as mopeds or something like that? Most people say "Scooter" and it means at 125cc+ vespa or the like.

Vespa has a couple of models that are 50cc. I assume that's what they got. Interesting though, for some reason I was under the impression that anything under 150cc you didn't need a license, but it's only for 50cc. Between 50 and 150 cc you need a different kind of license.

Learn something new every day.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Orange Someone posted:

I did hundreds of miles on my bike with a bust speedo. It actually made me somewhat of a better rider since I'd be paying attention to the road and the other drivers rather than constantly watching my speedo. I had a good time, right until I ran into speed cameras. On the other hand, mine's a 125 dualsport so breaking the national speed limit doesn't happen easily. I guess it'd be harder on a bigger bike, I'd just make sure to stay in second when going through 30mph cameras.

The reason for mine was a bust speedo cable, which is fairly easy to check. Also a remarkably simple fix.

This happened to me too, at the start of a 800 mile trip. I would have been ok on highways and such, but it would have sucked to not have any cars around on the back roads I was on later since I wouldn't have had the slightest clue how fast I was going.

It turned out the screw holding the cable in to the bike came out, so a 30 second screw replacement (after a half hour taking the bike apart. Fairings:argh:) fixed it just fine.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

The potholes in Chicago are really bad so far this year, and the up and down temperatures we're having now are only going to make things worse. Oh well, pothole slalom is fun and you should be paying enough attention to dodge them anyways!

Also most of the bicyclists I see on a regular basis are retarded and I rather dislike them. As a fellow person who is screwed if I get hit and has to dodge cars, their disregard for traffic laws irritates me. I've even had a couple of them cut me off while I was riding. I just want to be like 'Dude my full helmet and armored leathers are going to hold up a hell of a lot better than your loving spandex and little plastic beanie if you make us crash.'

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I guess this is probably going to come across as bragging, oh well.

I was pulling my bike out of my garage(which is in an alley), and a couple of girls turned the corner and stopped. I ended up talking to them for a bit, and they asked me for a ride. I was actually going to take one of them for a bit, since they were hot and my garage with spare helmets was right there, but then I watched them not quite succeed in standing upright the whole time and decided I didn't really want a drunk girl falling off the back of my bike. I would have stayed and talked to them, but I was getting the bike out to go take another girl I was seeing for a ride.

Also had random drunk girl ask me for a ride while I was stopped at a light, and the friends of friends thing as well.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I saw one genius Harley guy riding pretty far into winter once. He was wearing a ski hat, big sunglasses, and had a big jacket and a scarf on. It was pretty cold that day. It would have been less work and he would have been wearing less stuff to just wear a helmet.

Also, hey Nero, thanks for the recommendation on Ace scooter and motorcycle. Had them put on my new tires this weekend and they were really cool. Also they have some awesome old-school bikes sitting around the shop.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Trintintin posted:

Ive had a bee hit me in the chest then bounce back to life into my chin and up into my closed visor. I freaked out, opened the visor, and thankfully it flew right out without stinging me. Bees are a bitch, but I'm sure that bee was 100% more freaked out then me.

Sweet lord, that exact same thing has happened to me. I was on a country highway doing 60 though so i didn't want to open my visor at that speed and have the bee blow into my face. I had to find a spot to pull over while the bee laid on my chin bar and twitched. That was quite not-fun.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

That is pretty wimpy, I've been out quite a few times already this year. As long as it's not below freezing and there's no rain/snow, riding is no problem. This rain/snow nonsense we have going on right now kind of sucks, though. Not supposed to get up to 60s for at least another week.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

It's true, I'm pretty much the only sportbike rider I've seen in the city, every other bike I've seen out has been a cruiser or standard except for those couple of super-warm days.

And lots of scooters. It kind of amuses me that the scooter riders in the city are way more hardcore than the bikers, even if they do tend to only wear jeans and a hoodie.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

So the GF and I went to see the Star Trek movie today. The first time they show Kirk on his future-bike she leans over and says "squid".

It appears my prejudices are contagious.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Well, if I ever get a track bike, I now know that I don't need a trailer for it.

http://thereifixedit.com

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

More Ebay links...

2004 Aprilia Nera with 19 miles

Sweet lord I wish I had that much disposable income.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Taelrin posted:

We're actually staying in Custer SD and are just going to be commuting to Sturgis. Sturgis is 100% not my thing, but the things we do for our parents. Plus hey, free trip to South Dakota! Pretty sure Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse are also on the itinerary as is general dinking around in the Badlands. I've never been before so if there's anything else I'm missing let me know.

Go to Wind Cave National Park, it's pretty drat cool. I backpacked around there for a few days, the National Park has some neat roads and backpacking areas. The cave itself is a pretty neat thing to visit. I would do one of the more involved tours if you can, they have one by candlelight and another where you actually do a bit of climbing.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I've only had the new bike for a bit over a week and my rear brake is out. It was working fine on the test ride. People weren't kidding about these issues on Aprilias, I guess I am going to get very good at bleeding brakes :sigh:.

At least the AF1 forums have a pretty good walkthrough for it.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

The view on LSD at night heading through the Loop is one of my very favorite sights on a bike, I always take passengers through there.

Michigan Ave. sucks for riding though, there are always clueless tourists and tons of cabs. God I hate cabs (when I'm riding).

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

drat you Aprilia!!!:argh:!!! Why must you use a retarded rear brake line setup?!

Just got my bike back from the shop (since I am not good enough at bleeding brakes to bleed the rear properly). Brakes worked properly for the first 10 minutes. Get home, check them again and they're out again. Ugh. Now I'll need to wait for the aftermarket master cylinder and new rearsets I ordered to come in so I can relocate the MC to the same position EVERY OTHER BIKE ON EARTH uses.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Infinotize posted:

All you need is a jar, tube, something or someone to hold up the caliper, and some fresh DOT 4. You MUST bleed the aprilia RS*-1000 rear brake using the procedure outlined here: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15500
or it will never work. Do that, or insist the shop do it that way, and you will be set just like any other bike. You don't need to go moving the MC. In fact, even if you do, air is still going to be stuck in the caliper. You have to shift the caliper while you're bleeding it to get all the air out.

I tried that method myself, and couldn't get it to work right, which is why I took it to the shop. They did that method as well, I talked about it with them very thoroughly and even had them read the very thread you linked. In that thread, it also doesn't seem to work for everyone, and I'm one of those cases which is annoying. I also tried the 'brick trick' and that didn't help either.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I just have a really hard time thinking that there are that many mechanics out there that are so bad at bleeding brakes that they can't do Aprilias right but for the most part other bikes don't seem to have this problem. I've never even needed to bleed the brakes on my Katana, and I'm sure the PO didn't do it either. I can still lock up the rear tire no problem.

It just seems more like it must be some flaw in how the rear brakes are laid out or the MC must be defective. If the shop tells me they got all the air out using a mityvac I am inclined to believe them, it's not some massive dealer or anything, it's a small shop with guys who seem to know what they're doing.

Also, if the brakes work and then stop working after riding for a while, I don't see how that can be caused by air having been in the line after bleeding. If there's still air in the line the brakes wouldn't have worked in the first place, right?

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Thanks for the input. I understand all of that, which just makes the current issue more frustrating. I'm obviously not mechanically-inclined enough to bleed these brakes myself correctly, the reason I brought it to the shop in the first place was that I spent enough hours trying to get the rear brake working that I was ready to say gently caress it and sell the bike. This includes trying the method Infinotize linked, I have been all over the Aprilia forums on this.

There also aren't any shops around here that I think would be any better. I gave these guys all the info off the Aprilia forums that I had, and I know they had the calipers off the bike and all that stuff that people mention.

I don't know, maybe I am wasting money with relocating the MC and getting a new one, but at least at that point I will know for sure that the problem is the bleeding process and not a defective MC or a strange MC location on a bike whose model has a history of rear brake problems :sigh:.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

needknees posted:

Call around. There was honestly more than $1000 per year difference between highest and lowest prices on insurance I was quoted. Having a clean record helps too... I ended up going with State Farm, who incidentally enough has my auto insurance too. They covered me on a 08 CBR1000 with 250/500k limits, 250 deductible on collision and 100 on comp for 383/yr. Progressive wanted over 1300 and that was with much lower limits. Take an hour or so and call all the major insurance companies -- you will be surprised at what you'll find.

Seconding State Farm, the insurance on my RSVR is not that much more than it is on my Katana 750. I don't think State Farm will insure you for just a motorcycle though, usually you have to have some other line of insurance with them to do it.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

redscare posted:

Sounds like what you need is a large-displacement sport touring bike, not a literbike. Unless you're into ruining your wrists for the hell of it.

Seriously.

dietcokefiend, I bought a literbike this year. After spending a lot of time on it, I decided I was going to keep my sport tourer because I would not want to spend 8 hours straight on the liter. A liter is way overkill for just highway riding, my old bike is an '03 Katana 750 and that bike has more than enough go for highway situations and a very smooth powerband. Honestly, good for you though for realizing that was too much bike for you, that is the mark of a safe rider.

quote:

I don't really have a good way of explaining what it's like to actually ride a literbike...I had the same preconceptions as everyone else, that it'd be this total monster that'd just be ready to rip your head off, and it's really just...not the case. You can keep it spinning and it'll go absolutely stupid fast and do insane things, but if you short shift it, it'll putter around quite happily at low RPM and get you where you're going with a minimum of fuss. They just have very much of a Jekyll and Hyde personality, and when someone makes a mistake and ends up slamming the throttle open, you can get to that really quick. With an experienced rider, it's not much of a concern. With a new rider who gets flustered, it can end very, very badly.

This describes my experience really, really well. I thought trying the liter was going to be scary right at first, instead I just had a huge grin on from riding the thing. I've never felt out of control on it, but I think if I hadn't done as much riding for a few years as I did it would probably be scary.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I hate you goons who live in areas the weather doesn't suck. We have a bunch of snow and ice on the ground and it's probably going to be months before I can ride again :smith:.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

ranathari posted:

Don't be a pussy, stud your tyres and get out there!

Studded tires are illegal in IL, not that I think it would work that well with my bikes anyways.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

redscare posted:

Option B: Buy a Ural

I'm going to end up like Nero or Z3n with a garage stuffed with bikes if I keep posting here. You people are a bad influence :).

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

South Dakota is the worst, I would have to say. It certainly puts IL to shame. Thank god for audiobooks.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

The mechanic I use was telling me stories about how he modified a Harley for drag-racing, and would race dudes with modern literbikes at lights and win. Pretty amusing stuff.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Z3n posted:

I don't particularly approve of ghost rider from a good citizen standpoint, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy what he does. He's a phenomenally skilled rider, and I love watching people exploit the real capabilities of a motorcycle. Plus, it's awesome to see a turboed busa that's not a garage or strip queen, he rides the gently caress out of that thing.

Wow, I just watched that video and man does that piss me off. Usually I avoid the 'extreme street riding' videos for exactly this reason.

He's a jackass and should have his license taken away. gently caress him for endangering other people on the road and all of us other riders by proxy.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Z3n posted:

The thing about guys who ride stupid fast on the street is that they rarely crash. If you're good enough to ride stupid fast, chances are you understand where to take the risks and where not to. Most of the crashes I've dealt with over the years of riding up in the bay were inexperienced riders of all ages. Crashes by the "fast crew" were exceedingly rare, on the order of once every 4-5 years, although almost always bad.

Overall, he's not blocking traffic, like the stunters on the bay bridge. He's probably less of a danger, statistically, than most of the people on the road (at least out here in the states, where your car is a place to text/talk on the phone/do makeup/eat breakfast). If you told me you were going to put me on the road with either one person, picked at random, or ghost rider, I'd take ghost rider every time.

The worst crashes I always saw were idiots trying to keep up with the fast guys. Those are the danger on our roads. The guys who ride stupid fast are just very convenient, obvious scapegoats...they're honestly not the ones to be concerned about.

Go to killboy and look at the guys who are running wide/crashing. The vast majority of the time, it's squids, not the guys all leathered up and ready to go.

Yeah and I wonder how many accidents or near-accidents he's caused splitting that close and at that speed. Maybe it's different in CA and people are used to it but considering here it's illegal I know I would at least flinch if I were in my car on the highway and someone did that since I'm not used to it. I know for a fact that when people split recklessly here like that it tends to piss off the cars and I really need to be careful passing them afterwards (legally).

I don't care how good he is, you ride like that on the track only. I guess if you tell me CA drivers are used to that I'll buy it, but I find it a bit hard to believe.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Normally I hate line-by-line replies but there are like 5 different things here.

Z3n posted:

I've been spooked by bikes passing that I didn't see coming before, but I can still keep my vehicle on the road and in my lane when that happens without any serious issues. If someone can't handle their car on a freeway when something unexpected happens, how can you expect them to properly handle an emergency situation, like a blowout or something running into the road? Hell, what about a truck jake braking right next to you?

Honestly? Those things are going to result in accidents some of the time. It doesn't take a lot to cause an accident. I know we've all seen this plenty of times riding around. Considering that everything but the truck brakes are things no one can control, I think it's different. He doesn't have to be on the road riding recklessly.

quote:

Again: I'm not saying that this is a behavior that we should encourage. I just don't think it's as dangerous as it looks on the surface. And honestly, most of the cars that he flies by don't even move. He's out in Sweden, IIRC, so I can't comment on the skill of the drivers out there.

I didn't realize it was in Sweden. If he did cause an accident doing that stuff I highly doubt we would see it on youtube, if the camera even noticed since it's solely focused on him.

quote:

Is it good behavior? Nah. Should he be locked up forever as a menace to civilization? Ehh. Do I expect the book to get thrown at him if he ever gets caught? Absolutely, and he'll deserve it. But I'm not gonna turn up my nose at watching him ride either. He's doing something that few people have the skills or the balls to pull off, and I can respect that.

I guess we will disagree there. If he did it in a way that doesn't endanger anyone I would respect it too, the beginning parts of the video were fine.

quote:

As I said, I'm torn because the good, legal part of me says that it's behavior that's downright anti-social, and the other side of me says that he's probably safer out there than a lot of people that are on the road, and if he gets caught, he gets caught, and if he doesn't, shrug. I've also done stuff that's in a similar vein of stupid, and I have a hard time casting stones when I know that they could be cast right back at me.

Fair enough, don't cast the stones then, I don't do that stupid crap so I'll take care of it for you :).

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Back when gas was really expensive that one summer I had a lot of people asking me how the MPG was on the bike. One time at a light I had a car pull up next to me, and the guy in it asked me that. He sounded rather, well, authoritative I guess. Then I did a double-take and realized...hmmm, antennas, and the dude is wearing a blue vest. Unmarked cop car. Funny stuff.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

First ride of the year for me last Sunday. Let me tell you, you get some funny looks riding around a sportbike when it's below freezing around here.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Since this is the chat thread...

Thank christ it's riding season again. Riding with a ton of gear on is still fun, but not nearly as much fun. Nice to finally not have to wear heavily-insulated gauntlets to keep from getting frostbite.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Actually a friend of mine who just finished up a contract was mentioning how when I first got my bike he thought bikes were kind of an out-there thing but at his last job all his fellow nerds had big Harleys and were stereotypical Harley-looking riders.

Also another person who works in software here.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Haha, thank you guys for reminding me why I'm not a CJ any more :).

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Delivery McGee posted:

Could be weirder. In Waco, there's a place that sells Triumph, Ducati, and Victory. i still haven't figured out what those have to do with each other.

The shop makes most of their money from bike repairs?

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

41 is a relaxing ride, and you can take it most of the way down until you get into the northern suburbs. It's fast, but it's still a normal street so I think you'd be fine. By the time it feeds into the highway there should be enough other roads around that you can get the rest of the way in to Chicago. Once you're in the suburbs I think you're fine with any road besides the highways or Lake Shore Drive.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Not only that, but the twitchiness of the bike is important for a beginner. You want a bike where if you accidentally grab a handful of throttle you're not going to do a wheelie, since beginners often don't have the greatest throttle control. I can remember a few incidents from my first year riding where if I had been on my current bike things would not have turned out very well.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Man if you think a Busa, which is 150 pounds heavier and has a longer wheelbase, is the same thing as a modern literbike I sure hope no beginners listen to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Reason #427 that riding a motorcycle is better than a car:

If you notice the guy in front of you has left his gas tank open, you can just close it for him.