Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Spiffness posted:

I-4's are for people who are too fat and lazy to shift :colbert:

On my CBR600RR, by 45mph I'm in 6th gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Awesome! I wonder if it'll cost considerably less than the Euro equivalent bikes?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

A lot of sumo racing courses contain dirt sections so I imagine fire roads would be fun to ride on.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Is the dainese stuff they sell made specifically for cycle gear or do you guys just carry some of their products?

Also, why do alpinestars gloves wear so fast? They fit me better than any other gloves but I have to buy them way more often

I have some SP2 A-Star gauntlet gloves I got from cycle gear 8 years ago, they're holding out just fine for me.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Slide Hammer posted:

The iPhone doesn't have a hard drive, does it? Do magnets even affect solid state drives?

Nope.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Schampa Neck Gaiter is pretty darn good at protecting ya neck.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I have nearly 1k miles on my 2017 Husky 701, and so far no problems with it. I would have easily gone with a Japanese bike but all their dual sports are stuck in the freakin' 80s.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

High Protein posted:

Did you also get a Husqvarna Welcome Pack? The keychain in there can't actually open far enough to go on the bike's key :doh:

Yeah, with the zip up binder? I don't put keychains on my bike keys 'cause I don't want poo poo dangling off the ignition.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

RCR did a Harley video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE59MMDGW2Q

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Most scooter riders in my area lost their driver's licenses from DUIs, they're not really into the motorcycle culture, I think I've seen maybe 1 or 2 waves coming from step-through riders.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Today was my first time commuting in my 701 after buying my Tesla Model 3 a month ago, makes me wish I also had an E-bike. Some day.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I watched a video about CO2 poisoning last week and now I'm paranoid about leaving my helmet vents shut too long :shepface:

This is why replacing your visor with MX goggles is the best.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Razzled posted:

turns out i'm a genius for riding visor up all this time

Enjoy your cataracts.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm thinking about selling my 701 and buying an Energica Ego.

Edit: Blah, the nearest Energica dealer is 6.5 hours away, guess I’ll wait.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 26, 2019

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I changed my mind, I am buying an Ego. On Tuesday, I'm going to drive 7 hours to Orlando to pick up this:

After now owning a Model 3 Performance, I'm on the electric train for life.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I just got my Ego last night so it's gonna take some serious butt on the seat time for me to say anything without bullshitting. That said, it's a HEAVY bike, definitely not something for a beginner.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

North GA has decent riding with blue ridge and blood mountain.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Awesome. But also lol why does a 250 need rider modes, harden up people jfc. Even if it makes 60hp it'll be at a billion rpm, nobody's gonna be highsiding from all the torque.

Just a guess but perhaps it's an EU compliance thing?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Welcome to the Energica club, LodeRunner! I got my Ego 3 weeks ago, and already put 900 miles on it. I love the way the straight-cut transmission sounds, it's so futuristic.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

LodeRunner, are you planning on adding more AC chargers to your SS9 or is the 21kW DC charging option in your area going to make that pretty much pointless?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Is it something like this? I saw it mentioned in the Energica section in electricmotorcycleforum.com. Kinda pricey but awesome for sure.

Edit: If you're ever interested in having an Energica tester, count me in! Also, I'd like to know how much it costs if you plan on selling one in the future.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 30, 2019

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

LodeRunner posted:

Probably something similar to that. We literally fabbed ours out of sheet metal and it also delivers 20 amps. I'll keep you in mind; what part of the world are you in? (Like will you need the Mennekes style CCS, etc.)

I’m in the Atlanta area. That would be awesome if I could charge at 6+ kW at j-1772 and NEMA 14-50 spots!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I agree about the Doppler effect thing, it sounds like an ambulance when my Energica’s approaching.

I’ve gotten lots of comments from people in parking lots appreciating how silent it is, so it’s not loud when it doesn’t need to be.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I hope for Zero's sake they're working on DCFC support with newer models, and soon. An minimum charge time of one hour just doesn't cut it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Jeez that sucks. One time while riding on a freeway, a pickup truck in front of me had a loving blanket fly out of its bed straight towards me, I had to dodge that poo poo so fast. God knows what would have happened to me if I had gotten wrapped up by that damned thing.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

My Energica Ego can get pretty inefficient at highway speeds, I’ve seen it consume 250 wh/mi at 80 mph. It’s still faster to drive at those faster speeds though since DCFC at 26kW more than makes up for it.

It’s really hard to keep the highway speeds down too cause the bike really starts to wake up at about 70 mph.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

LodeRunner posted:

Additionally it would seem the battery engineers weren't complete retards when designing the cooling because the loving thing runs in a more or less safe zone all day.

It sucks that there aren't any production electric motorcycles with liquid cooled batteries yet. I'm okay with getting the battery warm from riding hard every now and then but I just don't like the thought of parking my bike under the sun in the summer.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Coydog posted:

Waiting for people with 690/701 to chime in and say they get off the bike, get back on the bike reverse saddle, then fuel while sitting on the bike.

This was the only thing I disliked about my 701.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

it's cool how fast it is but also lomarf @ how little skill is required. you literally just twist the throttle when the light turns green and hold it there for the duration of the run. no shifting or engine management and traction control takes care of the rest

There isn't much skill to drag racing literally anything modern since traction control and quick shifting exist in combustion bikes.

While you're right about there not being much to do in a straight line, it's quite challenging to get the Ego to behave in corners since it's so heavy. It's a really fast bike, and has excellent speed coming out of the turns but you gotta be prepared to fight the inertia that comes along with a 600+lb sport bike.

Watch the MotoE races. There's still skill to launching. They have to worry about the front end lifting, and timing the light.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Wheelies were super easy on my 701, haven't tried yet on my Energica Ego.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

BabelFish posted:

Thanks for making this, glad to see you made it out the other end of that ride in one piece. Unfortunately I think your video has cemented my decision to wait one last generation before grabbing an electric. The lack of DCFC and the persistent firmware issues have turned me away from Zero, and Energica lacks a dealer in my state.

Don't let the lack of a dealer stop you from buying an Energica, they're making an effort to make a name of themselves and will totally help you out in transporting the bike to a licensed mechanic if necessary. They deliver parts for regular maintenance to your local mechanic or yourself if you want to do that.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

LodeRunner posted:

And they come with heated grips!

Yep, they're very toasty too! The only gripe I have with mine is the cruise control is impossible to set gracefully since you have to let off the throttle to hit the "set" button. You basically have to turn off regen braking before setting cruise control on or else you'll slow down a lot when you let off the twisty-bit.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I know you're asking LR, and not me but the LiveWire is a tough sell due to the price and lack of level 2 charging.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Where's my CBR-500E with like 500cc class performance and 80 mile range and Honda quality for $8k?

It's 'cause of batteries, man. That price you mentioned will be eaten entirely by the battery pack alone. Maybe Honda's biding their time until that cost per kWh hits a certain threshold.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

What, no Quadrophenia model with 6 mirrors and 3 headlights?!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

$278 / 6mo for my Energica Ego with full coverage. Not bad, imo.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I paid more than $17k for my Energica. With the specs the TE-1 might have, there's no way it'll cost less than my bike. I want to be surprised, though!

Edit: I'm not at all a fan of the belt drive, especially since Zero's been struggling with their belts snapping with less than half the power of this TE-1.

Edit 2: One thing they never touched up on that's pretty important (other than price) is what kind of onboard AC charger will it have. Maybe some day DC fast chargers will be everywhere but until then, we often have to charge on slow AC. The Livewire's AC charger only charges at 1.4 kW, that would take about 10 hours! Energica's at 3 kW, and Zeros with charge tanks can do 6.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Damon's just another startup vaporware company for sure.

I'm torn with my option of upgrading from an Energica Ego to Ego+. Sure, I'd get 60% more capacity but that battery has a harder time getting rid of the heat. My bike's got a cooled inverter, and the motor's also cooled with oil but that battery's only relying on air to cool itself. Too bad they didn't add liquid cooling to the battery.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I rode in the snow a few times when I owned my 701 Enduro with TKC 80s, and it was fine. We don't really salt our roads a whole lot here in GA but I'd still hose my bike down afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

e: Rivian is worth $53 billion, 3/4 of Ford, and I'm not sure if they've delivered a car to a paying customer yet.

156 delivered so far
https://insideevs.com/news/544860/rivian-r1t-production-delivery-october2021/