Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Are goons doing deals gap again this year? I'm actually close enough to go now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Trintintin posted:

Should have clarified, he lubed all my cables for me, including the clutch cable. So he was right up and personal with it. The initial Argh Mechanics rage has cleared and I ordered a new clutch cable already (thank god I never use credit cards). Hopefully it will be here before the weekend and I'll be able to replace it, it seems easy enough. Plus the cable was cheap.

Where did it break? Clutch cables are covered, so unless it was obviously frayed right up at the end where you could see it, there was no way he could possibly know it was about to break.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I was riding last week when we had a >60º day in Chicagoland when something happened to me.

I'm riding down the street in full gear in my Ninja 250 not doing anything stupid, just riding, and coming toward me in the opposite lane is a stereotypical "big harley biker guy". Usually, I'll do the customary wave at other bikers, but I only reserve the wave for sport bikes. This isn't because I have a problem with Harley riders or non-sport bikes, but because the culture rift is so wide.

Anyways, as I'm approaching the harley biker coming toward me, complete with long beard, bandana, leathers and all, he looks over at me. I then begin to look over at him, waiting to see if he's going to wave. Well, the next thing that happened was a first for me.

The Harley biker raised his hand and flipped me the bird as he passed me.

WHAT THE gently caress? I kind of laughed to myself for a minute because it's so petty and ridiculous. I didn't realize the culture rift had gotten to the point of hostility. Has this happened to anyone else?

Don't bring yourself down to their level. gently caress the "culture rift." Wave at everyone. We're all bikers. Maybe if more people did this, there wouldn't be a rift.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Nerobro posted:

Bikes are single track vehicles. That makes most road crap only hit us once. And motorcycles don't get thrown side to side due to potholes either.

Potholes dent rims. (I've got a few dents to prove it) But that's it really.

I've had a pothole blow out a fork seal before, but I suppose it could have been on its way out already.

Also, my temperature limit is 38 degrees F, but I'm from Michigan. I suppose if I had heated gear I might even go lower.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I've had women tell me they like bikes, and that I should stop by if I ever want a passenger, but I doubt MY GIRLFRIEND would appreciate it very much, so I just kind of go "Oh, yeah sure..."

However, I do get random people coming up wanting to talk about the Valkyrie. People ask me where I got it, and if I see another Valkyrie rider, they usually gush about how much they want an Interstate.

The best one though, was some homeless guy. I was waiting in traffic and he was walking down the sidewalk, saw me and started walking towards me. I just started whispering "go away, go away, go away" but he he started yelling something that I couldn't hear. I decided to be nice, and raised my visor. He goes "IS THAT A CAR ENGINE?" I replied, "No, but it is a 6 cylinder." He looks at the bike a moment, pumps a fist and goes "That's loving AWESOME!" and walks away. It was pretty funny.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Zool posted:

I really hate dealing with people on Craigslist.

Typical Ad:

RD200 blah blah blah needs work blah blah

My question:
What work are you aware it needs?

Answer:
about 100 worth of work. Since you can't handle doing work and tuning this is not the bike for you. Go buy an '09.

:arghfist::black101:

Everyone can estimate how much a repair will cost, but no one can ever tell me what the gently caress needs to be repaired!

If he can't tell you and/or it's a cheap price but they "can't be bothered" then they're trying to pull something over on you. Don't get frustrated, just be glad you didn't get ripped off and move on.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Trintintin posted:

Yeah I ended up limping the 500 down 95 for about 50 miles to get within range of my free 200 mile tow for triple a. So I guess for things to go wrong, the went wrong as well as they could (and triple a has payed for itself 13 times over). I also think I cracked my radiator at some point in DC. I stopped to fix my gear, and when i looked at the motorcycle it was POURING out smoke, which I first thought was the rain smoking off the exhaust, until I looked down to see a WHOLE mess of green fluid running away from the bike. The hose was fine and everything along those lines it just wouldn't hold fluid the minute it started to warm up. When it was cold water would sit just fine (didn't have proper fluid so I made due) but the minute it warmed up it immediately would get rid of it all again.

Can you tell where it's leaking from? Is it coming out the overflow or somewhere else? If it's hemorrhaging out of the overflow maybe your thermostat is stuck.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 16, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Christoff posted:

Oh California

CA Senate Bill 435

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0401-0450/sb_435_bill_20090226_introduced.pdf

Yeah, it's just proposed. But these are the kind of laws that pass in CA.

Can a bike pass a smog check NOW? It would be kind of retarded to make every bike for the last 9 years make major modifications.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ola posted:

Amen. My bike has just started stumbling a bit in the low range, it did last year too and I thought it was fixed. Trying to get all the simple poo poo checked out before I start pondering throwing money at it.

Question in a chat thread: Will a poor battery cause all three of these symptoms?

- Light changes brightness when revving.
- When hot, stumbles a bit up to 3500, seems like less power overall.
- A bit harder to start than usual.

Valves were done last July, only have 4000 mi since then, but who knows...

Check the battery anyway, but 1 & 3 sound to me like a bad stator. It doesn't sound like it's generating enough current and the bike is running off the battery. Could also be something as simple gunk in your charging system wires. You could try checking the connectors and seeing if they need some cleaning.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Orange Someone posted:

Not quite understanding the state codes, but am I right in gathering that you have to wear your helmet in some states but not in others?

Mind-blown. For some reason I'd previously had the assumption that you never had to wear a helmet in the states.

Yeah, there are state laws and federal laws in the US. In general, things like helmets and road rules are state laws, and are up to the individual states to adopt or not. Other things like seatbelt laws, radar detectors, etc. are also state laws, so if you travel between states and don't want to get lots of tickets, it pays to check state's laws before travelling through.

quote:

I can't imagine not wearing kit. I mean, we don't have the temperatures that you guys can have, but it's bleeding windy at speed, and the jacket and gloves make it comfortable.

Last summer after I moved to Tennessee I was riding around and it was hot. I mean really loving hot. Like 100F. I was sweating my rear end off in my leather jacket and thought, "gently caress it, I'm taking this thing off."

I shoved it into my trunk and took off again. After about 5 miles I felt so unprotected and vulnerable, that it was making me very distracted from my focus on riding, so I pulled over and put it on again.

Sweating a bit is better than skin grafts anyway. :haw:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

So, would there be a problem riding with a full-face helmet with the visor up?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Gr3y posted:

When I have my visor half open it sounds like god roaring directly into my head.

Besides that, I don't see you really nailing the bit of face exposed, the helmet extends around and out enough that it would still probably eat the impact.

Well I have a huge-rear end windshield to hide behind. I put it down when I get up over 50 or so, but when tooling around the surface streets, it's so much nicer to get the air. I don't take the faceshield off, since there are times I want it down.

Other than the rare bug bank-shot, I just wondered if there was some kind of danger in doing so.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Oakey posted:

Sweet lord, that exact same thing has happened to me. I was on a country highway doing 60 though so i didn't want to open my visor at that speed and have the bee blow into my face. I had to find a spot to pull over while the bee laid on my chin bar and twitched. That was quite not-fun.

Yeah, like I say, the windshield deflects 99.99% of the bugs, but I did have one bank-shot off the visor, fall down past my face and out the bottom of my helmet again.

So, I've started putting the visor only 60% up and not all the way up. The airflow is such that if a bug makes it over the windshield it should deflect off the visor upward instead of downwards, and it's still mostly clear of my vision.

I really don't want to get a half-helmet, but the fresh air is sooooooo loving nice. You guys have permission to laugh when I eat a facefull of killer bees.

8ender posted:

I posted some questions about this bike in the questions thread. Today my father-in-law picked it up and my god is it massive. He had a Goldwing before but apparently that was was too small and didn't have enough 1970's styling.

I plan on drafting this bike on my KZ650 to stay warm in the coming month. Behold, El Monstro, king of the UJMs:

It's like some kind of bizzaro-Goldwing.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Valfar posted:

I tried to push start my car once with the ignition off :downs:

I tried to push start an automatic. :downs: :downs:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

OrangeFurious posted:

A friend of mine on one of the Valkyrie boards did pretty much just hat. He said he's never been to Norway and some other guy on the board said, "I live in Norway and have a spare Goldwing. If you show up, you can take it."

Eight days later he was in Norway based on nothing more than two posts and a few PMs. Showed at the guys house, picked up the keys, and spent about three weeks biking around Norway and neighboring countries.

Sadly, he does stuff like this often. It leaves me jealous.

Tell me more about these "valkyrie boards".

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

OrangeFurious posted:

The board in question: http://www.valkyrieriders.com/.

I don't know any other Valk boards as I am not a Valkyrie rider. They would shun me.

Oh holy poo poo! They finally got a decent forums going! I joined the VRCC, but last time I looked there the forums were using some horrible abortion of software. Thanks!

(And don't worry. Goldwings and Valks are like cousins or something. :cheers: )

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Christoff posted:

Motorcycle depreciation (appreciation lol) is awesome. I bought my Ninja for $1,000 and sold it for $1,500. All I did was an oil change.

I sold my Silverwing for the exact same amount of money as what I bought it for, mostly because I didn't have the time to dick around with trying to get more for it. It sold precicely 1 minute after I put it up for sale too.

I loving love bikes.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Christoff posted:

Not in CA. Probably depends on the state. You have to put a selling price on the title when you buy it. So obviously everyone puts like $300-500 or so even if oyu paid $5,000. But the new title won't say anything about that.

Does it matter anyway? What you paid for it does not always equate to what it's worth.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Yeah, the cold is getting to me too. Why it was 54 the other day. Which is a drat sight colder than 74 like it's been. :smugdog:

My cut off is 36-38 degrees and rain. Anything warmer and drier is fair game.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Taisa posted:

Yeah, spotty snow is scary as poo poo. Especially when it slushes and then freezes inside of a couple hours.

Random question: On a two-lane road, when I'm backing the bike in to parking on the right side, should I put on my left blinker (because I'm turning left to back it in) or the right blinker (to show I'm parking on the right)? I was thinking right, but then some guy tried to whip around me in a car as I turned left, and that was a near disaster.

Indicate the direction you're going, not the direction you're turning (so, right). He's a douchebag for trying to whip around you when you're backing in.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Why do you have more than one bike you can only ride one at a time. :hurr:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

redscare posted:

Well good news: the other party's insurance accepted full responsibility and is going to give me a check for $2640 or so, which is way more than what I was hoping for. Plus I get to keep the bike and hawk it for salvage.

I've decided to shove most of it into a six month CD...going to wait for the economy to stop sucking (and maybe until I start making more money) before I pick up another bike.

On the other hand, with the economy sucking, people might be dumping their bikes in desperation.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

pr0zac posted:

I put my kickstand down while waiting for lights pretty often during my commute. Its nice to be able to relax at some of the 4 minute long lights I hit on San Jose, and I'm already surrounded by traffic so I'm not too worried about getting hit.

I can understand putting it in neutral, hell I'll do it myself if there's a blocker behind or there's no traffic, but the kickstand down?? Is it really so hard to balance the bike?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

pr0zac posted:

My DRZ has me on my tiptoes when stopped. Having to hold it up at a stoplight for 3 or 4 minutes is annoying as opposed to being able to just relax on the pegs. I don't understand why I wouldn't do that and be more comfortable. Any situation where I'd put it in neutral I'd be just as safe resting on the kickstand. Its not something I do every time I stop, just if I've got to sit for a long period and have sufficient protection behind me.

Ah, yeah. That makes sense. I didn't even think about tall bikes.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Has there been any survey done of CA preferences? Just from my basic browsing, it seems like 80% or better of the forum is into Sport bikes, a small smattering into Standards, and practically nobody intro Cruisers.

I'm not big into cruisers myself, partially due to comfort/manuverability and partially because the whole "ZOMG OC CHOPPERZ im gonna get a harley someday!!!" trendiness. Is it just that goons into cruisers don't post much, or is the forum just heavily sporter-oriented?

Just wondering if it's kinda like Musicians' Lounge, where if you're not into Metal or Indie, or maybe electronica, you're pretty much in an ignored minority. I do acoustic folk/traditional, so I pretty much might as well post my musical threads in GBS since ML will get them about 20 views and no replies.

I've got a big-rear end heavy cruiser and I post a fair amount. It's just that every post isn't :siren:MY CRUISER:siren: so you might not notice as much.

But yeah, it seems sport bikers outnumber us cruiser owners. I think Phat_abert is right about the age groups though, I'm sure I'm considerably older than most here.

This is what I don't get though:

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm not big into cruisers myself, partially due to comfort/manuverability

Phat_Albert posted:

CA also tends to be pretty concerned with functionality, versatility and usability, which cruisers arent really known for. They're good for cuising, and thats about it.

I don't think you guys understand what a cruiser is, or that you're assuming all cruisers are raked-out choppers and bobbers or something. I admit that a cruiser can't typically take turns like a sportbike, and that they might not be as versitile as a dual-sport, but comfort? Really? Usability? What the hell?

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 17, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

Comfort's an intensely personal thing anyways, but I find that cruisers of the feet forward variety get very uncomfortable, very quickly. The wind protection is awesome, but the seating position is poor.

Granted. Also keep in mind that not all cruisers have extreme feet forward riding position just like not all sportbikes make you sit like you're hugging a barrel. I do agree that each bike and rider is unique though, which is why I was trying not to point out specifics. For example, I find the Boulevard to be uncomfortable after about 3 seconds sitting on it. However, Cruisers, as nearly part of the definition, have a more relaxed riding style which is why I was surprised to see them labeled as stereotypically uncomfortable.

Same goes with utility - I mean that's practically what cruisers are built for. They can easily take bags & trunks (again, in general). I grant that they tend to be heavy, but lane splitting is illegal in 48 of the 50 states so most riders won't care that you can't do that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

blugu64 posted:

Typo or did I miss the news? I thought only california was down?

You know, I thought it was legal in something like Texas or something "out west", but after research it seems it's only legal in CA. Maybe I heard there was a state that was thinking about making it legal, I dunno. v:shobon:v

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Watommi posted:

so as I merged onto the freeway (I-8 in El Cajon) a couple hours ago, I looked across about 6 lanes of traffic and saw a guy doing the huge "HI GRANDMA!" wave at me from the opposing lanes. I wondered if he was a poster from here, what with all the goofy discussions about waving we have.

Reminds me of a great thing that happened to me last month.

I'm cruising around on a nice, sunny, day on a road that has little to no traffic on it. I've got the tunes going and all is good. I notice this car coming up behind me and I just maintain speed to she can blow by me.

The car pulls up next to me and stays there, keeping pace. I'm not really sure what the gently caress, so I just kind of ride along ignoring it. Finally after like 30 seconds I look over and this woman is looking right at me. She makes a thumb gesture backwards and I'm thinking maybe there's something wrong with my bike, but she's smiling. So I look back at her backseat, and there, sitting in a car seat is this little boy with a huge "Holy poo poo" look and his eyes all big staring at me.

I wave at him and he gets a gigantic grin, and waves back. The mom waves a thanks and they take off again.

It's awesome that I made the kid's day with just a simple wave. (and I'm also glad I wear all my gear and a full helmet. I hope he remembers that.)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Bugdrvr posted:

1) I'm an idiot (this I have suspected for years but have only just proven)
2) My bike is really heavy

I was messing around with my bike in the storage unit I used to have and I put the kickstand up. After a few minutes, I leaned the bike over to put it back on the stand and when it didn't stop tilting I suddenly realized I forgot to put the kickstand back down. My bike weighs around 750 lbs and I just loving fixed it, so I nearly ripped every muscle in my shoulder pulling it back up from the brink. For a sickening second I didn't think I was going to make it, but adrenalin is a miraculous thing.

The lady that works in the storage place's office saw it though. :smith:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

redscare posted:

How horrible of an idea is an older Triumph Bonneville or something similar?

Depends on what you mean by "older." Vintage Bonnevilles will be really hard to find, but the new-ish ones are supposed to be nice bikes.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Webbeh posted:

Sharing Coupons-related love with all the goons in AI:

A free year to Motorcyclist magazine!

I usually only see Car & Driver or Automobile, so this is a welcome surprise to find. And I figure you guys might enjoy it. :)

I used to subscribe, but about a year and a half ago they changed editors and I really hated how they shifted from a decent magazine to a bunch of jock wheelie hooligans.

Seriously, the wheelie count in articles jumped dramatically, there were articles that advocated downright dangerous behavior (passing on right and screaming off from lights in order to get ahead of the evil "cagers"), and pictures of Japanese girls at the Tokyo cycle show with captions like "I ROVE TROY BAYRISS!" Whenever someone would write in complaining their reply was always in a super condescending dickish tone.

The magazine is now being run by the worst kind of motorcyclists - those that make the rest of us look bad.

I wouldn't pick up another subscription, even for free.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Christoff posted:

drat a 750 if hard to pick up I'm not sure how you guys get it from the ground.

It's all in the technique.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I've got to take the wheels off my R1 when I get it tomorrow. How hard of a process is this? Also how much should I look at paying to have a set of tires mounted on the wheel and balanced?

For the first - it can vary widely by bike and design. I don't have experience with an R1, so I'll address the second.

You should be looking at between $50 and $75 a tire. I paid $89 a tire with new valve stems (mine were cracked) and tax. That was on the bike. Some places give you a break if you pull them off yourself. Also, make sure they even do it. Some places won't touch them unless you bought the tires from them.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Legerdemain posted:

I would expect more like $20 to $30 each off the bike.

My post even said "on the bike" but you chose not to include that in your quote. :smugbert:

Also, seconding the cheap tires. Mine cost me $160 for the front and $190 for the rear. They retail for more than $80 more than that too. :smith:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

100 Years in Iraq posted:

That's why I buy Chen Shins. I don't ride aggressively enough to need a good sporty tire. I think mine were like 50 front and 70 rear.

Perhaps I'm being stupid, but I figure I don't want to skimp on the only thing between me and asphalt at 70 miles an hour.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I hate to wish that on anyone, even someone so obviously unhinged, but echoing the "I hope those girls feel like poo poo" sentiment. When that story broke it was pretty obvious that the motorcycle didn't loving ram their car. I bet they were loving with him being obnoxious and that's why he followed them.

Glad justice worked this time.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

The whole cyclists rights thing to me is comparable to pedestrians right of way. According to the law a pedestrian always has the right of way. That doesn't mean if you step out in front of a car doing 45 your going to magically be ok. Yes your a pedestrian you have the right, that does mean you should use it.

There's "allowed" and then there's dead. Doesn't matter if you were right if your tits up.

This is a fallacy. Nobody "has the right of way", not even ambulances. The other vehicles have to yield the right of way.

Just a little pedantry, sure, but it makes you think about things like getting in the way of things with 100 times your weight. "But I had the right of way" wouldn't make a very good epithet.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

wormil posted:

What the hell are these bikes?

United Motors V2C 650S

Pretty much all I can find is marketing fluff. Anyone heard of these guys? Know anything about them? There is a dealership nearby and they look drat nice.

One of the bike magazines I subscribe to reviewed one of those and it was a pretty poor review. You could tell they were going out of their way to be nice instead of just ripping on the thing the whole article, but it was still fairly sad.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I learned on a 6 speed, and now I'm forever trying to upshift from 5th. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Simkin posted:

:rant: loving KIDS :argh:

So I rather foolishly left my bike out in my driveway last night, rather than nestled in the warm (and locked) confines of the garage, and at about 1:30, I hear this righteous crash. I jump up from bed, and that's when I notice that my bike's lying on the ground, a few metres from where it had been parked, and that some kid is running the opposite direction along the street. FUCKFUCKFUCK

Someone had already called the cops, because apparently these asshats had already been seen trying to break into cars, and wrecking random poo poo. The police showed up ridiculously fast, since this neighbourhood's usually a problem on Friday/Saturday night, with house parties and the like. By then, I'd already wheeled my bike into the garage to asses the damage - thankfully, it's a naked (well, with a cowling), so there was only a bit of scratching on the timing case, bar end, mirror, and front signal, in addition to the brake lever being slightly bent.

gently caress. That's the second time that my bike has been down, and neither has been at my hands.

tl; dr: If you don't want your bike stolen, own something big and heavy, that will be unwieldy to walk away with, unless you're a tall bastard.

Did they catch the bastard?

One night I forgot to lock my truck and some kids stole my change and the key to my bike out of the console. I'm sure they thought it was a Honda car key, but that meant I couldn't leave my bike at my apartment until I moved, just in case :argh: