Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Rekinom posted:

Question: does anyone either own, have ridden, or know anyone that rides a Guzzi? I've been lusting after them for years, and I'm moving to a town with a Guzzi dealership, and I'm drat near sure that I'm going to buy one. I think they're perfect in every single way, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with them.
I work with a buddy of mine who's got a recent-model Griso 1100 and he loves it. He'd been riding dirtbikes and stuff for ages on and off road, and when he saw my Buell, the roadbike bug bit him, and after testing a bunch of stuff he ended up with the Griso.

I've sat on it, and it's quite comfortable, pretty low seat height (lower than my XB12Ss), it sounds good (definitely not loud), but his is in red and it looks sharp too.

If you've got any specific questions, let me know and I can ask him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

The Harley guys around here do the 'point at the ground' thing. Personally, since they're wearing only dark glasses and are therefore the epitome of cool, I think they must assume it to be the natural progression of the wave to the next level of cool.

I do the "peace sign" with palm facing into the wind, unless I'm late to the wave-party, in which case you'll just get the four-fingers up off the handlebars, because I don't want to make any jerky, quick movements.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Ola posted:

I've started listening to music / the radio with my cellphone which has nice isolating ear plugs. Cutting down the wind noise was the motivator as I could feel my ears were quite fatigued after a long trip. I don't like it at low speed since I can't hear the engine well enough to give it just the right amount of throttle when inching forward and similar, but I think that'll go away with some practice and relying on other senses. I wouldn't use it when commuting in dense traffic, I really like hearing what's happening around me.

I don't find music messing with my concentration at all. That part of the brain that starts meandering as soon as its bored (bring back, bring back, oh bring back my bonnie to me, to me) is kept busy, while the part that is concerned about operating a motorcycle remains undisturbed.
There's actually quite a lot of noise at anything above 50mph or so from the helmet, and it's damaging to your long-term hearing. At the very least, earplugs are a must.

Regarding the revving of the engine, you get used to it, and before you know it, you know you've got enough revs to take off based on the angle of your wrist. Initially though, taking off can be a little... interesting.

And finally, I completely agree.. it's like the 'music recognition/appreciation' part of my brain is completely seperate from my 'control a motorcycle and pay attention to surroundings' brain portion. I actually find I use my other senses are sharpened, while after 45 minutes of engine droning on has the opposite effect, and I find myself losing any "edge" I may have had.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

holy hell.. I suppose it makes sense that a chain/sprocket could do that. I've cleaned my chain several times, and I don't see why you'd need to have your hand close enough to get caught in there.. How'd you manage it? Just a screw up?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

Doesn't matter as long as it's comfortable for you and you can still get max braking as needed. I still use my first 2 fingers on the brake.
Yeah, if memory serves, my NH MSF course told me I should be using all fingers to brake, but I found it really easy to overbrake doing that. I definitely feel like I have enough strength in my pointer/middle finger to flip myself right over the handlebars, if necessary.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Ola posted:

That bridge looking thing in the pic below the map is the same as they have in Grand Canyon I think. The platform curves down at the end so it looks like you're on top of a wooden waterfall. It's going to be interesting to check it out, hope I don't develop instant fear of heights.
I was wondering what the hell was up with that thing.. it looks like a horribly splintery waterslide.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Man, my local place has a 2007 Triumph Daytona 675 for $4500.. that sounds exceptionally low (and no pics are currently available yet). I've also heard they're horrendously uncomfortable, can anyone confirm/deny?

Making matters worse, they have a DRZ400-S (offroad trim) which I'm considering trading my KLR for..

Ahh well, neither of those will probably happen, but I may go up and look at the Daytona, because they're so sexy.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Huh, interesting, maybe I'll go up and have a seat on it today, I thought I'd heard (perhaps read -- maybe in the 600SS review on a motorcycle review site) that the 675 was down with the GSXR on comfort. *shrug* I guess ultimately it comes down to personal preference anyways. Seat height shouldn't be a problem, as I'm both 6'3" and a spring-compressing 250lbs. :)

I'm not interested if it's a salvage title though, they're pretty rare over here, but I can wait for the next one.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Hmm.. this is odd. My local used bike distributor has this bike just received. It's a 2008 MV Agusta F4-R 312 with 3800 miles, and it's... $13,995? KBB says the retail on this bike should be in excess of $19,000. Oh, and just for kicks I ran my insurance on it.. if I bought this 180hp, 195mph bike, my insurance is actually still $100 cheaper than a 2008 Ducati 848. Oh well, maybe I'll go sit on it (on the more realistic side, they do have a GSX-R 750 that I'm considering, which I could sit on as well).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Buy it.
Step 1: buy too fast bike
Step 2: increase life insurance
Step 3: internet staaaardom!
Step 4: firey death
Step 5: internet staaaardom v2.0

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Blaster of Justice posted:

Don't buy the Agusta. Just don't. European bikes are way too delicate for your taste. Just hang on while I research every opportunity to reimport and save that bike.
I'm not buying the Agusta, retard. Thanks for the insult though. How have you not been banned yet for all your horrible advice?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Armyman25 posted:

Can anyone tell me where the idea that a helmet won't do you any good at speed comes from? I live in a state that does not require helmets, and all I hear is how at 60 mph a helmet won't help because you're dead anyway.
Well, they're likely correct if your head collides directly with a stationary object, like a tree or guardrail at over 60mph. However, it will absolutely be better for you in those other crash instances where you slide. It also is good (fullface ones, anyway) at keeping flying debris off your face.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Well, I put $250 down on a 2006 Speed Triple yesterday (looks like the one below almost exactly). It's got ~4200 miles or so, and it's all black. I don't have any pics yet because a) I didn't think of it while I was there and b) it was too new at the distributor for them to have got around to taking pictures yet.

It looks like this one below, and apart from replacing the back tire (which has a suspicious looking flatness in the middle, while the front still has plenty of life -- likely indicating burnouts?), my first order of business will be picking up the little flyscreen for the gauges. Oh, and it sounds loving awesome.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

OrangeFurious posted:

The Speed Triple is a wonderful bike - congratulations. A few things to note:

They are sensitive to break-in. If the PO followed Triumph's advice in the manual the engine may have lost around 5hp and developed a leak or burns oil. I've seen this happen a few times. The Triple owners I know usually prefer to break in with 50, 100, 250 and 500 mile oil changes.

Triumph doesn't strictly follow their model year components - it's not uncommon to buy an '06 or '07 and find components from previous years that shouldn't be on your year. I get the feeling Hinckley just uses what they have around. Be careful when ordering parts.

British Customs is your friend. https://www.british-customs.com If you're local to LA Miles at DIA Motorsports is also your friend. Be wary of dealership service departments that deal with multiple brands - Triumphs are weird. If the mechanics are accustomed to working on Hondas and Kawis, they may inadvertently harm your bike. OTD CycleSports required four attempts to change a head-gasket on my friends S3. They never got it right.
Thanks! The shop is still going to do a thorough inspection of the bike, so if they find anything mechanically incorrect, I can back out and get my $250 back. I guess I have to trust them to be forthright with the information (especially oil leaks -- btw where would I look to see the telltale signs of an oil leak? Just around the filter? or are there specific seals to examine? Burning oil will obviously be harder to manage. I have no idea the maintenance history on this bike, but it was bought from a dealer, so I may be able find that out).

I've heard (by reading Wiki) about some of the parts controversy, but it looks like the ECU/brake upgrades came on the 2007MY in theory (though some 07's looked to have the older brakes/ECU's). Hopefully (stressing 'hopefully') it won't need any major internal work. I do have a Triumph/BMW dealer thats about 30 minutes south of my place, so I could get stuff done there, if necessary.

Thanks for that link, I've been looking for a good parts link to have on hand. :) Here's hoping this one looks to be a-okay. There really don't seem to be a lot of naked bikes running in the 130hp range. I did some looking around (and sat on the MV Agusta Brutale, but my legs are too long for the knee cutouts in the tank), and really didn't come up with much. Even the new Ducati Monster 1100 only make 99hp. This one definitely seemed like one of the better options (I wasn't really a big fan of the FZ6 look), and offered the best tradeoff of speed/insurance quotients.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

OrangeFurious posted:

Have you ridden the triple yet? It's not only one of the few high horsepower naked bikes, it has astounding torque. It feels like 100% of the engine is pulling as soon as you twist the throttle. I don't own one given how much trouble I'd get into on it. It's a fine bike in every imaginable sense. Again, congrats.

As far as oil issues go, I'd look around the major gaskets for leaks and hold a napkin or something to the exhaust while it starts and idles to see if there's any oil spatter. If the bike has oil and you don't see any drips or little black specs on the napkin you're most likely safe. Even if it does burn a bit of oil, it's not a big deal if you stay on top of it. One of the dealers around here doesn't like to fix burning oil on the 1050cc engines - their take is to check it regularly, refill as needed, and deal.
I haven't had a chance to ride it unfortunately, as the dealers around here are jerks about test rides. I understand the trepidation on their part, what with the skill required (especially setting rear end on an unfamiliar bike), but jesus, this isn't a pair of pants you get home only to find out you don't like how they fit. That was one of the main reasons I didn't go bigger (like an R1) because I can't tell if it's going to just be too scary to ride, or too uncomfortable.

Oh well, that's my diatribe about test rides. I know some dealerships allow them, but this one does not, so I have to do all the test research and see how it is after I've shelled out my $6k.

Thanks for the advice about the oil, before I pay, I'll run that little test myself. Burning oil I can deal with.. leaking oil I'd be less pleased about.

And yes, it looks like a ton of fun to ride, and I'm really looking forward to it. The torque was one of the reasons I liked the triple over some of the 4-cylinder bikes out there. My Buell has 80lb-ft out of its twin, so I'm thinking it'll be similar to that, only when the Buell runs out of revs, this still has another 7k (and 30% more hp to dish out). :)

edit: and yeah, what's with the low number of 100+ hp naked sportsbikes out there? I could find very few options. I looked at the FZ6/FZ1, but I wasn't a big fan of the styling. As mentioned before, I didn't fit on the Agusta Brutale (legs too long), almost happy about this though, reliability questionable, parts difficult to find, local dealer to potentially do work not present, etc. I did take a long look at this SV1000S, which looks great, but is ultimately only about a 4hp increase from my Buell. My buddy just picked up a Benelli TNT, which has plenty of power, but the looks turned me off. *shrug* I dunno, I guess you can't make a bike for everyone, but it just seems at first blush like it's a lacking area. It should also be noted I wasn't looking for an '08 or '09 for insurance reasons.

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 6, 2009

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

cmorrow001 posted:

Awesome. I have an 07 (same bike) so feel free to contact me with any questions or sites. My email is my username at gmail.

Also check out
https://www.thespeedtriple.com (by far the best)
https://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/
Cool, it passed inspection today, so I'm going forward with the purchase. I just ordered the belly pan and flyscreen, too.

What do you typically get for gas mileage?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Let see, first impressions of the Speed Triple.. Right out of the gate, the extra 30hp over my Lightning were evident. It pulls very well, revs nicely (though I'm not used to the revs dropping so quickly), and gently caress if it isn't almost silent compared to my Buell. The Buell was deafening even at low speeds with a helmet on, but this bike is very quiet.

Riding position is slightly more aggressive than the Buell, but far from uncomfortable. The shifting also requires substantially less effort than the Buell, which I'm used to putting a bunch of effort into. In fact, I'd almost say it's going to require a conscious effort to go light on it, so I don't break the linkage.

I think I'm going to really like this bike. I didn't immediately miss my Buell once I got started on it, so that's definitely a good sign.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Chris Knight posted:

Heh, I was out for a ride last week and stopped at a cross-road to allow a mom and her 2 boys to cross. They turned around and waved at me, and when I did the same I used my left hand and promptly dumped the clutch and stalled. Oops.
I was cruising by a mom and her kid in the stroller, and as we approached she turned the stroller towards the road so the kid could watch me coming along. I looked as I went by, and he was sporting a huge :eek: face, with a wide-open mouth. He likely right around a year old or so.. gotta get to em early!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

kylej posted:

:hfive: I like it when I can still feel a chill deep in my legs after I've been home for a half hour.

New Hampshire is a beautiful state that I will probably never leave. I just wish it wasn't so brutal for car/bike enthusiasts.
That's right, I keep forgetting you're in NH.. I'm in Concord, where are you?

I was hoping to get out today, but I don't think it's going to happen. My Speed3 has basically bald tires, and with rain forecast, I really don't think it'd be wise. :(

I might, however, pull the carb off my KLR and clean it out.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

kylej posted:

In Durham right now. I'm here at UNH during the school year and in Bedford during the summer.
Ahh nice, I'm a fellow UNH-Durham grad myself. Are you on NESR or any of the other stupid local forums?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah, I've use my snowboard gloves as well, though in the back of my mind, I'm constantly thinking how little they'd do in an off. :(

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

redscare posted:

That's why I was using mine over my riding gloves :) The only real adjustment I had to make was putting a kung-fu grip on the throttle to be sure that it was doing exactly what I wanted it to. Seriously though, I'm not entirely sure how stupid/dangerous this idea is, probably very.
Hmm.. yeah, multiple gloves probably isn't good, but I'd wager my response time is roughly the same when my hands are either frozen or within two pairs of gloves. :)

I have some very thin thermal gloveliners, maybe I'll see how those feel/fit inside my heavier gloves.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

teknicolor posted:

I don't know what mines you're a-ho-ing but mine doesn't have any toxic particulates I'll have you know!
So you're saying there's particulates? :byodame:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

dietcokefiend posted:

:sigh:

Coming to the realization that I need to start coming up with plans to retire the bike for the season. Against almost all odds I think my first year riding motorcycles went pretty well. Started on a 600cc bike against what people said, got my license from the DMV before I took my MSF against what people said. Even practiced MSF/ALS-MOST course layouts night after night against what people said. Since the end of November last year to now I put 3k on the ZX600, sold that, bought a SV650, put 6k on that. 3 road trips to WI, tons of days riding into work, countless hours logged riding in pouring rain.

Overall I think everything turned out pretty well :unsmith:

My method probably won't work for everyone but it was great for me. My overly paranoid riding habits shaped a decent touring-style rider. I can also honestly say I have yet to pop a wheelie although that is still one thing I want to accomplish one of these days :keke:

Hope everyone else had as good of a season that I did. Amazing to look back and think that last year around this time I was scared shitless to ride my bike out of the neighborhood and last weekend I drove to WI for ThanksGiving in the pouring rain both ways.
Just goes to show that we get lucky sometimes, as I progressed the same way you did back in May of '07, and have been lucky enough to stay rubber-down since then (except one low-speed off in the woods). Your path is a dark one though, son. I've been through four bikes now, and it gets expensive. I am, however, very happy with my Speed Triple, so hopefully I can go more than a full season without buying another street bike. You seem to be going the opposite bike path than I was though, I went 65hp twin (SV) to 100hp twin (Buell) to 130 3cyl.

For fun, I used to go back in the old 'motorcycle mega thread' we had that was active at the time and see all my posts from 'thinking of getting a bike' through 'passed my DMV test' to 'went to the MSF' etc.

I have also ridden all that time without wheelie-ing, and I'm okay with that.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I've heard if you catch a 250 on a public road and hit it, it's displacement adds to yours.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

If any of you read Sport Rider, they're offering a 1 year subscription (10 issues) for $4.29 here -> http://www.bestdealmagazines.com/deal.asp

It's a 'deal of the day' thing though, so I assume it'll be gone tonight at midnight.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Bird-o-matic posted:

And what the hell kind of bike produces 173.4 torques before this magical chip?

Not to mention the dyno runs were from 2004, and it looks like according to motorcyclespecs.co.za there weren't any streetbikes using the 690 until 2007.

It's probably a car dyno.

The whole thing is your typical :psyduck: ebay ad catering to idiots.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Despite the general rider cluelessness we associate with Harleys, some of those guys are really good riders. There was a guy when I took the DMV license test that passed on a huge cruiser with no points off. He's one of those that had clearly been riding forever, just hadn't bothered to go through the trouble to be 'legal'.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I find them to be cooler on hot days, especially where you don't tend to hit the same speeds on a DS ride than a street ride. On the slower backroad stuff, the extra ventilation is a nice thing, especially as it's more work doing offroad riding (not so much just cruising on dirt roads) than on-road.

I actually am ditching the original helmet I got with my KLR, so I picked up one of these HJC CS-MX helmets on closeout for $60 and a quickstrap for my goggles, too. DOT (non-Snell) approved.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Rode an R6 today, bringing it home for a buddy of mine, as he's unlicensed.

Cons:
- It's tough on the wrists (I don't think that sentiment has ever been uttered before now)
- The seat is uncomfortable, and the pegs are high
- The throttle requires some good throttle control, especially over uneven tar/bumps/manhole covers/etc, though, I will say that the lack of torque down low means it's actually less jerky over bumps than my S3, which will make you look like you're riding one of those mechanical bulls.

Pros:
There's really only one big one: holy poo poo it's fast. holy loving poo poo it's fast. I can't even imagine how fast the R1/other liter bikes are. Insane. I didn't even get into the powerband over 11-12k (not my bike, new bike to me, first time setting rear end on it, a whole host of reasons) and I could really feel it taking off on me, it's like the worlds biggest turbo is under you, spooling up. It's a breath-taking experience.

Thankfully, I'm going to help him get acclimated to it, which will require me to transport the bike for him a few more times before he does the MSF / DMV test on it.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

redscare posted:

Your dumbass buddy is going to wreck the poo poo out of it long before he takes the DMV test.
It's entirely possible. I gave him the speech we all give everyone yadda yadda too much bike etc, but after I've said my peace, I don't preach or condescend. I'll help him as much as I can with pointers and 'watch out fors' and if he still wads it, then so be it. It's not his first time on a bike, just his first time on something besides a Harley 883. Yeah, not a lot of similarities there.

Crayvex posted:

I don't have any comfort issues on my R6, even after extended rides iin the saddle. Then again I can thank the PO for a gel seat. Also I've noticed that sitting on the bike "wrong" fucks up the ergos. You have slap you junk right on the gas tank and get your body in the proper alignment. What year is it?
Yeah, same with my S3, balls on tank = dance all night. I was pretty cozied up to the tank, and I think if pushed I could find a comfy position for my wrists (keep my wrists straight instead of "hanging" off the bars), but my initial impression (coming from my prior bikes all being upright sport-oriented standard types) was that it was uncomfy.

I believe it's a 2009, or possibly 2008.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Jack the Smack posted:

Thottle control and ergonomics isn't what kills people, it's going fast. I rode at the speed limit for the first 6 months of riding and survived.

Problem is, it's a bitch to ride those bikes at the speed limit when they idle at 10 mph in first gear.
Yep. I was more discussing the ergos because prior to buying my Triumph, I was strongly considering an R1 or other sportsbike. At this point, I think I made the right choice in going with my bike.

He's buying gear, yeah. Helmet/jacket/gloves at least, hopefully shoes and pants too.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

That's all you can really do, if people aren't gonna listen you basically can either write them off or try and teach them to ride despite their poor choice of bike. I found that sportbikes require a nuts up on the tank position too.

08 or 09 are essentially the same bike. The funny thing is that the bike really just waking up at the 11k, you shifted right as the fun starts. :)
Yeah, I'm aware thats where it wakes up.. I had a long discussion with one of the salesmen while my friend was signing everything. :) but also see:

redscare posted:

He probably didn't want to go to jail
this. I was in a 55mph zone within spitting distance of the NH State Police HQ, and I was in third (I think). As it was, I probably hit 85 or so at 11k before backing off. :) Very fast bike.

the walkin dude posted:

I'm gonna be riding a Buell xb9r in a bit, it'll be my first time riding a bike with higher than 500cc displacement. It's been modified to have 92 hp and more than 100 ft/lb of torque. I furiously await the fecal spoiling of my day-old jeans.

edit: agree on the Speed triple headlights. yak.

double edit: looks like the "modification" must be only for torque... 92 hp looks like stock. *shrugs*
I had an XB12SS lightning, and while the bike is powerful, its not 'high strung' by any means, and was easier to ride than any other bike I've ridden apart from my wifes' Ninjette or my KLR650. It's quite fast, but it's smooth, and the torque makes it very easy to take off.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

Ahh, yeah, I've only really ridden one at the track, putted around a little on a friend's on the street. Makes sense that you couldn't wind it out. You should see if you can at some point though, it's amazing...just the sound, oh god.
Yeah, the last 30 seconds of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eJzoFhN6Ko gives me wood, and it's part of the reason I was considering one. His happens to have another pipe on it, so it's almost too loud.

I may try to take it on the highway or something, as I haven't driven a faired bike on the highway for a decent stretch, and I'd like to feel the difference vs my naked sportsbikes. There are a few areas where the cop spots are a mile or two apart, which generally means free sailing, though I wouldn't go too crazy, I just want to hear 11-17k in person. :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

the walkin dude posted:

My bad, it was a XB9S lightning that I rode, not a xb9r. Yeah, I was immediately comfortable on it and had a helluva time blasting around for 30 minutes. My perspective on my Ninja 500 is completely changed. I thought that 500 was really vibratey, but the XB9S takes the cake. My 500 felt butter-smooth when I went back to it, and it actually feels like a baby motorcycle now, joining the ranks of my Ninja 250.

My world is shattered.
Yep, they didn't make an XB9R (firebolt), so I knew what you were talking about. :) But yeah, it's a fun bike, and if you think the 9 is shakey, the 1200 is especially bad, mostly at idle. Good times.

They're fun bikes, though, and easy to ride.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

his sunglasses flew off his head and I "accidentally" ran them over.
So... you lost?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

bung posted:

Ducati Indiana
Was there... a reason they named it 'Indiana'? Because of the states that deserve or warrant vehicles being named after them, Indiana isn't on my short list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Marv Hushman posted:

Someone pleeeeeease talk me out of buying the new Kawasaki 9.6V. My wallet would appreciate it.

I bought the 7.2v cordless Dremel, and it was a weak turd pile. My $20 Target-store-brand, plug-in rotary tool was at least 40x better. Granted that's 9.6v, but I'm just saying to be warned, as it may just be terrible.