Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Simkin posted:

Man, why in the everloving gently caress did I not own a balaclava as part of my gear before now? I just had my first ride wearing it, and holy poo poo, what a difference it made. I mean, sure, my hands still required the occasional grope of the engine, and my toes froze off before I even really got going, but having that extra little bit of skin covered (especially my chin, for some reason) just made the ride so much more comfortable. Best $15 I've ever spent on gear, by far.

If your toes/fingers are getting cold, get some of those disposable checmical-based boot/glove warmers designed for skiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Is ZIRC.net down? I cant seem to connect.

The IRC network has been synirc for like a year now duder

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

crash

Glad you came out of it mostly ok. People are loving stupid.

On the ATGATT note, I didn't wear my boots when riding the 4 miles to/from work until recently when it started getting dark before I left work. In hindsight, that was a pretty stupid thing to do since now I just leave a pair of shoes at work and change when I get in. Probably going to start wearing pants too now that I actually have a pair. Jeans don't hold up to pavement worth a poo poo.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

MrKatharsis posted:

Reminder for you riding goons: CHECK YOUR MIRRORS. Crazies can hit you from behind too.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20081203/NEWS/812031014/1002?Title=Police__Driver_hit_2_cars__scooter_before_stopping

Also wear a loving helmet. That dude probably wouldn't be an inch away from death if he was wearing a lid.

loving Florida.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Are there even any scoots under 50ccs that people would refer to as scooters and not as mopeds or something like that? Most people say "Scooter" and it means at 125cc+ vespa or the like.

It's good that florida is making steps in the right direction...but i read about those laws and they are absolutely absurd. You emergency brake when someone cuts you off and get the back end a few inches off the ground, and you can get a 1000$ fine? What the gently caress. I'm pretty sure that the second violation on any of those is a felony as well, which just doubles up the :psyduck:

This is Florida, the land of dumbfuck laws, dumbfuck people, and even more dumbfuck politicians.

MrKatharsis posted:

The definition may vary by region, but I'm pretty sure mopeds are pedal-operated, whereas scooters are step-through.

Gainesville, FL is quite literally jam packed with cheapo $700 50cc Chinese scooters. Once in a while, I see someone wearing a full face and jacket, but that is rare. The sportbikers in this town appear to be the most safety conscious of all the 2-wheelers.

LA has a ton of scooter riders, especially during the warmer months. Most of them wear no more than a brain bucket because of the helmet law. In the summer, the scooter rider's uniform is a tank top, shorts, and sandals. I wish I was joking.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I want to hear about that lucky son of a bitch that got run over by a semi and lived to tell the tale. Did it only run over his leg or something?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
My speedo/odo decided to go out on me the other day. Guessing your speed by engine speed/flow of traffic is fantastic. I won't even be able to get to it until Saturday since it gets dark so early these days. I think it might be the little hub thing on the wheel that went out. Bah.

:argh: stuff breaking :argh:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

redscare posted:

:argh: stuff breaking :argh:

Speaking of this, something ELSE has come up, this time a bit more serious. Once it warms up, when idling, the bike has developed this desire to rev up, first up to 4k and then up 8k. What in the world could be causing this? Stuck throttle cable? Carb sliders? God hating me?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Yes the choke is off

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I like how the answer here is to tariff something else instead of, you know, getting rid of the loving rBGH like the rest of the civilized world. gently caress Monsanto.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Pretty sure I figured out what was causing the RPM launching into orbit issue...apparently when z3n and I were putting the airbox back onto the engine, we didn't clamp a couple hoses on properly and they came off, thus screwing with the vacuum for the carbs.

Oops.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Guess we should have actually taken the tank off. :xd:

Nah, I managed to get them back on there proper with the tank on. We just shouldn't have been rushing to get the gently caress out of there for Mexican food is all.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Tried to start it up this morning and BAM it revs right up to 7k. Which is different from before so something else is hosed. Maybe that third vacuum line.

gently caress.

Also gently caress daylight savings time for making it impractical for me to work on it after work.

At least I got some good exercise pedaling to work :haw:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

MooseNoose posted:

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I might have omitted an important part of the incident. The accident happened in Arizona, while I was still a resident of Indiana. Roughly two weeks ago I became a resident of Arizona. I don't think that the two states would communicate that well on driver records, but I'll find out soon enough.

Pretty sure almost every PD just files the reports internally and communicating with the DMV is your problem. So you should be ok.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

Wow that seems kinda odd and I can see how it can be pretty confusing or throw people off. If someone ever does that to me I'm going to respond with a quacking duck hand figure.

Its standard practice around here

Except for fat fuckers on Gold Wings. gently caress those guys.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Depends on how many neutrals your bike has. Mine only has the consistant one between 1/2, at the moment, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Aw cmon, you don't need third or fifth.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Here's question that came up on my ride home from work today in the rain: how are you supposed to deal with the whole not having a wiper thing?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Linedance posted:

could have gone bigger but didn't want to break tables ;)

Well if there's one thing they never get in the Alps, its snow

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
To not get all discussy in the crash forum, I got in touch with the insurance co. of the lady that hit me today. They straight up said that they found her at fault and that an adjuster will be contacting me and then coming out to check the bike out. I'm fairly sure its going to get totaled.

The thing is, I'm not sure if I want to get another one as long as I live in the heart of LA. This is the second time in two years I've been introduced to a car and both times I've been lucky, not sure if I will be the third time. Also, there's a good chance that my office will be moving to somewhere in the South Bay later this year, which will be a fairly suicidal commute. Any advice?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

KDC gives good advice. I've ridden in the South Bay and it's really not that bad.

I don't ride a lot of street anymore. I'm almost entirely a track rider. One of the things that I was most thankful about moving closer to work was that I could do away with my 50 miles of lane splitting every day. I want a streetbike, but I'd hesitate to commute on it. I'm addicted to the ease of lanesplitting though.

It's really a decision for you. If you don't feel comfortable with it, if it's not fun, then you really shouldn't be riding. If you still have a bike, still want to ride on weekends, the say screw it and gently caress commuting on the bike. I started to hate riding after commuting for 8 months or so...every day turned into "am i going to crash going to work today?".

Well the catch here is that while I often get cars from work, there are times when I need a personal vehicle in case there aren't enough available. Currently, my options include the bus, bicycle, and even walking in addition to a car/bike. Should the South Bay move come through, those will be out. I think what I'm going to do is wait until this work situation is sorted and then decide, but I'll spend the summer sans bike or car.

Its also not about the South Bay itself, but rather the distance. Currently my commute is only five miles and I have enough close calls as it is. K-Town to South Bay is a lot further than K-Town to the west end of Miracle Mile.

redscare fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 27, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I don't like riding a bicycle to work because its probably even more suicidal than riding a motorcycle. LA is not a bicycle friendly city at all.

It's not that I'm scared per se, its that I simply don't want to deal with worrying about inattentive shitheads taking me out anymore. The five minutes or so I save getting to work isn't worth the stress. And yes, I do all the traffic scanning and all that stuff. People in this city just love making sudden movements because of all the unprotected left turns.

I'll probably get another bike again before too long, but I'm never commuting on one again. gently caress that.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Well good news: the other party's insurance accepted full responsibility and is going to give me a check for $2640 or so, which is way more than what I was hoping for. Plus I get to keep the bike and hawk it for salvage.

I've decided to shove most of it into a six month CD...going to wait for the economy to stop sucking (and maybe until I start making more money) before I pick up another bike.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
How horrible of an idea is an older Triumph Bonneville or something similar?

redscare fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 24, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Finally got (yet another) pair of forks for the FZR, these off a 2005 YZF. Should have it back on the road in a week or two :dance:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Getting the bug again?

Oh yeah, I can't wait to finally get back on two wheels. The real sticking point this whole time has been getting a good deal on a set of forks. I'm going to end up around $1700 in the green thanks to the ridiculous insurance settlement once I pay all the fees and get a new lid.

redscare fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 19, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

The bikes are fantastic examples of mass centralization, engineering at it's best, but the only thing that makes sense is that they were designed to be assembled once at the factory in perfect spec, ridden for 50k, and then thrown away.

planned obsolescence :tinfoil:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Well I put the new forks on today and...

I need a new front wheel and axle bolt :sigh:

Apparently a 2005 YZF600 front end is set up for a wheel about a half-inch wider than a 1995 YZF600 front end and uses a thread on one fork instead of a nut. There goes more money.

redscare fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 26, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
protip: before replacing forks with ones from a newer model, make sure that the manufacturer didn't change the wheel specs somewhere along the way or you'll end up buying all of those components too. Probably piecemeal at that.

:argh: yamaha :argh:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Started up and rode my bike for the first time in I think four months :dance:

Took some effort getting it turned over because of rear end gas in the carbs or something, had to push start it despite a fully-charged battery. Took three tries too. But man did it feel good when it finally turned over. Rode it a few times around the block in a squid suit (tanktop, shorts, chucks). Now for the small matter of getting it registered again...stupid salvage title.

But hey, IT LIVES!

As a side note, I've become pretty good at replacing front ends.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Took my hooptie out for a quick ride yesterday night, felt good to be back on two wheels but MAN was I reminded quickly just how terrible drivers in LA are.

And I need someone to set up my front suspension for me, I know nothing about that and these 2005 YZF forks are pretty adjustable

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/08/motorcyclist-dies-in-ventura-county-road-rage-incident-.html

quote:

Motorcyclist dies in apparent Ventura County road rage incident

A Ventura County motorcyclist died after being dragged 75 feet in a collision with an RV on Highway 101 in what California Highway Patrol officials described Tuesday as a road rage incident.

The motorcyclist, who was not immediately identified, was traveling south on U.S. 101 shortly after noon Monday, when he got into an altercation with the RV driver, said CHP Officer Terry Uhrich.

A witness told investigators that the motorcyclist made obscene gestures before suddenly pulling in front of the larger vehicle and slamming on the brakes, Uhrich said. The rear wheel of motorcycle got caught under the front right bumper of the RV, which lost control and slammed into the center divider, he said.

The biker, 57 was ejected from the motorcycle and pronounced dead at the scene. Uhrich noted that the biker was wearing a so-called skull cap which partially covered his head but is not certified and did not provide protection in the event of collision.

Darwin Award winner right here, brake checking a loving RV and wearing only a brain bucket.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
$60 for the brake and light inspection. :argh:

Spending way too much money on the bike...I think its time I craigslisted my TV

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Christoff posted:

So if you're at a stop light at a big intersection and it's the middle of the night or there's just no one around can you, uh, legally run it or anything? I got stuck for a while last night because knowing my luck there was a cop at one of the gas stations.

God forbid you have to get out of a gated community

Were you waiting to turn left or go straight? If straight, push the crosswalk button. If you have to go left, what I've done is turn right and then flip a bitch. Beats sitting at the red light.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

If you put it in neutral, kickstand down, and lean the bike on it, sometimes that'll get enough interference for the induction loop to trigger.

Or you could be like me and go buy a 600 pound tourer to set them off. :xd:

Your bike is so fat it has cellulite :haw:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Retarded Pimp posted:

ATGATT thread link, guy and rider got rashed pretty bad.

>>Don't click if you're squeamish.<<
http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,19460.0.html

No gear, no helmets.

Fuckers are lucky to be alive. How the gently caress can you get on a bike without a lid, nevermind letting someone else get on it with you. I won't ride two-up with anyone because I don't have gear for a passenger. Its one thing to be stupid with your life, its another to be stupid with someone else's.

redscare fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 2, 2009

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Gnomad posted:

It's going to be tough for that guy to recover without infections, the streets are filthy places. I've gone down geared up and the resulting raspberries were pretty miserable. That guy is going to be hurting for a long time.

Hydrogen peroxide is a great disinfectant that you can easily buy OTC but if he sat for eight hours before getting to it, something probably took root. Oh and I hope this dumbass didn't actually SCRUB himself so much as gently wipe the wounds down with disinfectant-soaked cotton balls. But I don't think he's all that smart.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

ranathari posted:

What's the right way to do it?

Using the clutch comes to mind

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Someone parked a 1098 S in front of the building on my way back to lunch.

That kind of flagrant indecent exposure should be illegal :colbert:

God drat those bikes are sexy.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I watched Long Way Round last night, staying up way too late in the process, and have the urge to go ride where people just don't go because why the gently caress would you.

Except not the rear end-end of Russia or Mongolia. Those fuckers were lucky to get through there, holy hell.

redscare fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Is there such a thing as None of your gear All of the time? :haw:

Naked and drunk at 2x the legal limit, great combination

This'll be his fifth DUI too holy poo poo