Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!
Since the new question thread bars discussion and cold weather (for some of us) is approaching I thought it would be good to have a thread to chat about bikes whenever the feeling strikes. The specificity of the other motorcycle threads don't really allow it and I'm sure (some) of us will be aching to post almost as much as our joints after a cold weather ride.

To start things off, I'm debating putting a yellow headlight on my bike as per webbikeworld's recommendation but after seeing how irritating it can be when a biker with one followed me for 10 minutes yesterday I'm not so sure anymore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Coredump posted:

Do you not remember the AI state of the union thread that was only a few months ago? Whenever we have a motorcycle general discussion thread in AI all the motorcycle content gets sucked into one huge monster of a thread. New threads don't get made, and it gets hard to read about motorcycles unless you follow the thread closely.

I just want to understand what is it about motorcycles that you NEED to have a thread to hang out in. There is not an equivalent thread to this for the car side of AI. So a little over 3 months and this beast is back.

There is not a car equivalent, but there are car threads for every piddling announcement or flight of fancy. Whether it be the lower volume of riding posters, riders having more posting discretion, or something else entirely there haven't really been many/any motorcycle threads outside of the new for 2009 thread and the new question thread(other than projects). The posts in this thread probably wouldn't have been posted at all if this thread didn't exist. Discussion got barred in the questions thread to make information easier to find. This thread is specifically for shooting the poo poo, so what's the problem exactly?

If I remember correctly, sigtrap explicity stated that if we wanted a discussion thread we should make one instead of making GBS threads up the question thread. I took the advice, but if it's the colossal deal you're making it out to be this can be closed.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

I think a couple of things that need to be taken into account are the comparitive infrequency with which some users browse AI and the far lower volume of motorcyclists and motorcycle enthusiasts. Motorcycle issues just don't have the general appeal that car/truck ones do. A great example would be Rossi winning MotoGP and the thread falling off the front page after ~10 posts...most from the same posters. If someone that would have been interested in the thread but not enough to search for it logged in the next day or a few days after there would be no way for them to know it was even discussed. Plus, that's an example of something everyone that cared was at least aware of... something personal or more obscure might as well have never existed. Your theory about making information easier to find is sound only if there is enough interest and participation to drive every single thread. There are multiple manufacturer and model specific car threads... on the motorcycle side outside of the SV650 that AI told everyone to buy a couple years ago this would result in a series of threads with participation that would make a rural population look like a thriving metropolis. Cars and motorcycles are not the same thing and the same number of posters are not interested in each. A LOT more people drive/care about/are obsessed with cars than motorcycles on this forum. I don't think the same logic is sound when comparing the two.

I fail to see why this is such a major issue, but again, if everyone wants this closed, then close it. We can go back to A.) not posting about motorcycles or B.) posting about motorcycles and watching the thread fall off the front page due to lack of generated interest. I must have not been browsing when all of this drama over motorcycle threads happened, but the result seems to be a lack of discussion. You were obviously at the forefront of all of this but other than making the questions threads and swooping in to criticize this one I have hardly seen you make a motorcycle related post here in months. I don't really see how a discussion thread which encourages people to post things that they might not want to make their own thread about is such a terrible thing that prevents legions of users from searching for a whole thread about how someone really likes the new R1 tail design.

I can understand how it could be alarming to see a crash report in here...but he already talked about it yesterday in passing and it seemed like he was disinclined to make a thread about it. That's his own prerogative. Regardless, it wasn't my intention for this to replace any and all motorcycle threads. It was to provide a place for people to spitball about smaller things since the motorcycle community here doesn't warrant a thread for every manufacturer/dual sports/dirtbikes/motards/sportbikes/cruisers/etc.

I'll probably never understand, anyway, since the whole "you're supposed to post that HERE" thing always struck me as anal to begin with. I understand that proper structure is important to having a successful forum, but to me the changes you tried to make failed. Bike threads aren't being generated, and the existing megathreads are stale with restriction. To me, discussion is good regardless of where it is, and this could be a place to have it. I don't share the same dramatic reaction to megathreads being a black hole because honestly, I just want posts to read. I'd rather have something that's occasionally a black hole but actually has active discussion than a properly organized forum with no discussion at all. Judging by the results of the megathread-elimination experiment the motorcycle posters here seem more inclined to swoop in and participate in these kinds of threads than make new ones. To me, that says that these are a good idea.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

bung posted:

I must see this video. Who is that with O'Reilly?

Cam'ron (and Damon Dash's arm/finger).

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

If anyone is interested in reading some books, btw, I read Jim Redman's autobiography recently, and it's pretty entertaining. Interesting guy, competing at a very interesting and dangerous time for motorcycle racing. He also was the first rider to really push for safety for the riders, after having 3 of his friends die on the "track (often just city streets)" during events.

That sounds awesome. I just started reading Code's Soft Science... and it's really good. I also FINALLY saw Faster after trying unsuccessfully to watch my friend's copy for over 2 years. I really, really enjoyed it and Ewan MacGregor's narration made me want to check out that enduro ride thing he did. Has anyone seen any of that?

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

So, uhh.... is LWR worth watching at least? none of this really sounds like a ringing endorsement...

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Silver posted:

Like Africa?? How about...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269251

That's awesome but man that guy sure does talk about how hot the underage girls he posts pictures of there are...

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Well, I can only assume that this thread was somehow indirectly responsible for the creation of the new forum (whether it was sigtrap or Coredump having a brain fart on sigtrap's head when he declined closing this). I hope this works out instead of exacerbating the current trend of a lack of cycle discussion since regular AI people probably won't browse here unless they are looking for something specific and W&W already has a mini-monopoly on bicycles...

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

sigtrap posted:

You can't have it both ways. If you're not posting motorcycle threads in AI (because they fall back too quickly, a legitimate concern) then you're isolated by either a) huge ungainly megathreads that the rest of AI avoids or b) a subforum that the rest of AI possibly ignores.

Now your threads won't dissapear, at least.

Yeah, you're right. :)

edit: obligatory negative postcount seriouspost confirmation

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Trintintin posted:

I found an abandoned track today. I took a lot of pictures and probably will be posting a thread soon. So much for the not having fun roads to ride on, now I have a free track! 8 different corners, rumble strips still on the insides, and a quarter or 8th mile front stretch just left all intact on an island 3 minutes from my dorm.

What?!? That's crazy...do you have any idea why it was abandoned? Are you trespassing by being there? This seems way too good to be true...

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

I want every bike ever right now in my garage. Or maybe just a sumo.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Welp, I crashed. In true Hurt Report fashion it was all of 1.5 miles away from my house. Someone in a shopping plaza parking lot to my right was trying to make an illegal turn across my lane. I slowed down (WTF are u doin?), made EYE CONTACT WITH THE DRIVER, he slowed and then stopped, I accelerated and waved thank you, and before I could put my waving hand down he had pulled into my lane and stopped in the middle of it perpendicularly. My tires were freezing cold and had squibbed out a moment before under mild acceleration so that coupled with all of a few feet of stopping distance lead me to try to swerve out of the way and finally dump the bike and lowside. He got out of the way and left the scene (there were eyewitnesses but no one got a plate) while I skid at 30-35 MPH down the road. My friend (who was a few cars back) says he saw me throwing my gloves and helmet across the road and cursing the guy out. I was kind of in shock. Still, I went out, lifted my bike off the ground and parked it. I was THIS CLOSE to putting on pants and boots but figured the 2 mile ride to the diner didn't warrant it that particular morning. I got lucky and the road gave me a polite warning for next time. Nothing broken, just sore and rashed up, with my worst injury being my ankle ground down to the bone (ATGATT, kids!). Regardless, I rode the bike the final mile home from the Hospital in a splint just to get over any future fear factor and as one last gently caress you to ATGATT as I won't make the same mistake again.

Lessons learned: Always, always, always wear boots while riding. Rash heals, compound fractures don't always.

I always knew to treat cars like they think I'm invisible, but now I've seen why firsthand. Even visual confirmation that someone sees you and is acting accordingly doesn't mean poo poo. People do stupid things, especially when there's a motorcycle around. I won't trust anyone but myself in the future.

All in all I'm glad it happened and I learned some valuable lessons. Not really interested in any pontificating on the topic of ATGATT, so please save it. I'm still of the opinion that people should be allowed to take their own life into their hands without the intervention of others whom it doesn't affect directly. I smoke cigarettes, too. If you're not a friend or relative, please save it. I'm well aware that I put myself at risk and I take responsibility for it.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

fronkpies posted:

Before i even rode a bike i thought other riders where overreacting about how cars take no notice of them, but now that i actually ride i notice it everyday. The thing that annoys me most is when they see me coming and they slow down, but then decide "No i can make it if im quick" and then speed up to try and get out before me.

YES, THIS IS THE WORST. CHRIST. gently caress.

Bike's fine by the way. Like I said I rode it home. Aftermarket windshield/front fairing thing got smashed up but other than that it's just the bar ends.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

redscare posted:

Jeans don't hold up to pavement worth a poo poo.

I basically assumed this as well but my double thick Carharrts only have a couple of tiny holes to show from the accident. They protected really well...can't really explain why. It probably has a lot to do with how I fell. I was also lucky enough to not even scuff my (expensive) helmet.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Ola posted:

Glad you are walking and talking. No chance to find the guy?

We'll see. It was near a couple of banks so hopefully a camera picked something up.

The worst part about this is a bit I heard from my friend upon leaving the ER. Apparently after the bike was ALREADY PARKED one of the cops on the scene managed to knock my bike over on the other side and bend the bar end, etc. What a loving rear end. Didn't even have the balls to own up to it.

As a sidenote: how do bar ends on a bike work exactly? Are they the same on every bike? Like, how is it threaded, what is the screw bonded to (if anything). Basically I'm trying to find out what I need to fix the bent bar ends on each side of my handlebars without taking them off to see only to find I can't put them back on again.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Zenaida posted:

There's a 50cc and a 125cc version. The story of Wan takes place on the 50.

Maybe it's all the time I've spent on advrider but I fail to see why this Wan guy is a big deal unless you have a ruckus and read only that forum.

I mean, aside from the patience necessary to traverse the country on a 50cc scooter.

edit: I guess the big deal is that he's Korean and doesn't speak great English? Still doesn't seem that remarkable compared to crossing Angola or most of Asia as a white dude or whatever. That site and the community is cute, anyway, I guess.

Whoa. Wife Turds fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 4, 2008

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Zenaida posted:

What made it for me was how the community came together for him. When he lost his camera and they bought him a new one, all the people that put him up, the way his scoot kept collecting stickers and little flags and that alligator head.

I agree that it's heartwarming but it's also depressingly indicative of what sheltered, whitebread lives the people on that forum live. It was mentioned several times that Wan clearly has a lot of money and can take care of himself, but people are coming out of the woodwork looking to buy him poo poo/maintain his poo poo that was maintained days earlier/etc. I mean it's cute and great and human condition and all but the guy clearly doesn't need much help and I get the distinct impression that everyone in that thread is patting themselves on the back for helping and saying "that Wan is such a great, positive guy" in that condescending "that Asian dude is great and adorable and how does he camp like that lol hes so cool and I as a superior American being will validate his existence."

I mean, seriously, seeing people freak out that he made a tiny spit to cook some chicken on and calling him survivor man is loving :lol::lol::lol::lol:

edit: that said, I'm still reading the whole thing like I obsessively read every advrider thread and the whole thing is pretty adorable.

Whoa. Wife Turds fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 4, 2008

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I'm off crutches and back on the bike. 90% of my rash is healed as well. I'm freaking Wolverine over here.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The coldest I've taken my bike out in was 44

I wore long underwear, sweatpants, and my riding pants, 2 long sleeve shirts, my jacket with a liner, and a windbreaker over the jacket, socks, my regular riding gloves (big mistake).

Within minutes I couldn't feel my fingers, my toes were numb because air was getting in between the bottom of my pants and the opening to my boot, my helmet was fogged and my eyes were so teared up I couldn't see.

Seriously? Ride when you want to ride and don't let anyone tell you otherwise but maybe you should hold onto these details next time you feel like elaborating. 44 degrees isn't that cold. At all. I'm not trying to be all macho man but your hyperbole is a little ridiculous.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Linedance posted:

If you're touring or cruising and just enjoying the scenery it's not going to factor really, but if you're on a sport bike and looking to attack some twisty roads it can be dangerous at those temps because you never know when you're going to run into a frost patch in some shady low-lying spot, and your tires are never going to get any heat into them.

This is pretty obvious. I was merely pointing out how exaggerated it all sounded. Not being able to tear up the twisties and being frozen solid under 12 layers of clothing are different things. I probably fired that off too quickly and perhaps not tempered enough, but I really wasn't trying to dickwave. I also don't get as cold as most people (though I am more sensitive to heat) so experiences certainly vary.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

This made me do a lot of hard thinking. The guy clearly got what he deserved, but it really calls into question a lot of humanity's sometimes irrational natural instinct to protect one's kids. Sigh. That family is hosed in every way possible (and the biker is dead.)

It also made me think twice about chasing someone down that dangerously cuts me off.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

That can't possibly be real.

It takes a certain kind of gullible to fall for this kind of dumbass troll.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

ranathari posted:

It's the gixxer forums, it's easy to believe one of them would actually do that.

Forums stupidity notwithstanding someone with over 2k posts logged would probably not pour two full bottles of something he got out of a chilled drink refrigerator that say "ENERGY DRINK" in giant letters into his tank. But, yes, it's easy to believe if you're gullible and have that GBS inclination to desperately want to take anything ridiculous you read on the internet as gospel. The least surprising thing is that people who read gixxer forums would fall for it. :)

Pretty amazed at how easy it is to troll there, though. Although a few people picked up in it right away.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

I'm not saying I believe it straight off the bat, but I have seen some pretty god drat stupid people who ride motorcycles.

Hell, look at the linked kickstand thread a couple of pages deep...where the guy freaks out because of the kickstand button. :xd:

Hahahaha. There are dumbass people mos def. This just kind of tips the scale into troll territory. If it didn't say ENERGY DRINK in gargantuan letters on the bottle and wasn't probably delivered cold it might be believable. I'm not trying to make this thread devolve into non-motorcycle related discussion, though, and I probably have a more finely tuned troll detector than most having done my fair share of trolling myself. Party on, Wayne.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Skier posted:

:confused:

The energy drink in gas tank shennanigans isn't anything I'd put past any GSX-R owner I personally know, although they'd probably rather spend their money on a sweet new exhaust can, brah.

I still sincerely hope he just put a lot of thought into it. Regardless of how stupid you are why would you immediately buy two bottles and not even read enough past the word NOS to see ENERGY DRINK. I think I'm going to quit while I'm ahead and maintain what little faith I have in humanity, thanks.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

edit: This is so not the question thread.

Whoa. Wife Turds fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 28, 2009

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Bucephalus posted:

I'm all for experimenting with alternative fuels, but why not use a disposable UJM as your guinea pig?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Othe...SQ5fmotorcycles

Granted, it's made up of parts sourced from all over the place, but still...

E: He could've at least used a Lister. :britain:

What a freaking odd project. I wonder if he had all those parts lying around or what.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

This is likely the last place I should be asking this but what percentage of your savings is too much to spend on a bike? The job market is terrible but I might be up for a pretty substantial promotion. This possibility ignited the motorcycle obsession that I kept dormant for two years while making peanuts after my last bike bit the dust. Now I'm pretty sure I'm screwed. There are preposterously overqualified people applying for the job and the chance of getting it has likely gone from 90% to 30%. I'm never going to be able to put this genie back in the bottle. So, here I am, resorting to that-which-I-make-fun-of-most: asking the internet vague questions that could be better answered by common sense. Do I blow nearly all my money on the bike of my dreams? Do I spend 3-4k on something less than the bike of my dreams? Kill me.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

How much savings do you have?

What's savings ahahaha. But seriously. Other than my 401(k) I had pretty much been living paycheck to paycheck with a couple thousand in the bank (mostly due to something going wrong that requires lots of money every month or two.) However, I just sold a couple properties I was holding onto for too long and while it really only resulted in a few thousand dollars from money held in escrow I always said that the moment I had enough for a bike I was going to get one. It's been the only purchase I've had in mind since the last one bit the dust. Deep down I know I should probably just save and see where my career goes in the next year or two but I'M ONLY YOUNG ONCE GODDAMMIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

I'm a saver who hates debt though so the transaction was all cash. I wouldn't buy a bike any other way but I think I'm a minority.

Same here for the most part-- if I made more I'd be saving more and the houses I just sold are the only things I've ever taken out loans for. Anyway, I'm considering buying a 2006 Speed Four with ~10k on it for 3500-4k. I am an idiot.