Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Do any of those gel grips help reduce vibration to your wrists? My broken arm/wrist keeps getting aggravated, even a day or so after just a 30 minute ride. The riding gloves that just came today while protective, dont really have much padding on the palms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
I really want to track down the kid from my gradeschool that tripped me in the 7th grade and break his kneecap. Arm still hurts to this day :(

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Ola posted:

http://www.kettenmax.com/

This looks like a fun product. Basically a box with brushes in it that cleans your chain as you rotate the wheel. It does peg my bullshit meter a bit, not because I don't think it works but because it replaces old school elbow grease on a simple task. If the video actually showed a really dirty chain being cleaned or with sufficient internet praise I'd buy it.

For now I'll just dance to the awesome(ly generic) 80s synth pop in the demo video. Reminds me of the ads on old VHS tapes.

http://www.kettenmax.com/video/Kettenmax%20Premium.wmv

edit: they're singing praise for it over at advrider.com, this goes on my to-purchase-with-idle-money list

//Road biking maintenance time

Probably not bullshit as long as the cleaner is a beefed up version of what they sell for pedal bike chains. On the bicycle you have 3 round nylon brushes which mash up against the chain and spin in a bath of kerosene or other cleaner. Spin around till kerosene is dirty, clean, replace, do it more. For a motorbike it would have to be larger, go through more fluid, and probably need better brushes or it wouldnt clean as well. From the pictures it looked kinda small, but the theory is sound for cleaning smaller chains at least.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Do most people just leave the plates on the bike/car after they sell it? Surprised most people could go so long without the car having plates from not being registered.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Ha, it got above 40 here in Milwaukee, and there were bikes everywhere.

It always amazes me what people in warm climates consider cold.

After living in the Milwaukee area for almost my entire life, how do you not die on a bike each spring with the massive potholes everywhere? Out here in Cincinnati potholes are few and far between.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Its worse in the city than anywhere else, but I guess I just learn to watch ahead and avoid them. I havent noticed them being horrible the last few years though.

My brother lives off 76th street near Burleigh and that road has turned into a mine field. I suppose once you get out of the city into areas like Brookfield everything is peachy and nice since they care more about the roads (or still have money in the budget to fix them).

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
loving ouch

http://jalopnik.com/5168730/stop+motion-motorcycle-collision-on-tail-of-the-dragon

Anyone else see that?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Rode the bike to work today for the first time :iamafag: and learned a few things:

1. Bastards in Land Rovers like to use windshield sprayers in front of you and cover your visor in mist.

2. Never underestimate the power of bugs in spring (do I need like rainx or something to repell those fuckers?)

3. Even if the forecast is 75F later in the day, 40F in the morning will really freeze your chin going 70 down the road.

4. Kawasakis have a parking light setting as a lock mode, dont use them if you want your battery to stay alive the rest of the day (thanks for the tip boss!)

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Gr3y posted:

If it helps the first time you do something to any vehicle it always kicks your rear end. You'll get halfway through something and run into a problem you weren't expecting. Next time will be easier for you.

:unsmith:

I dont know what the gently caress I was thinking the first time I took the fairings off the zx600. I saw bolts around the lower fairing, dash, headlight, etc and thought to myself "do kawasaki engineers have little baby hands or something"? I managed to take apart the fairings from the inside out, instead of removing the bolts at the fuel tank and side mirrors and sliding the thing as an assembly off the bike. Made a 5 minute process into a 3 hour process and nearly cracked every fairing.

I came from lots of car work experience and this bike crap still kicks my rear end. Small clearances are always tough to work with and you always manage to find something else that is broken; always

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

8ender posted:

I still prefer bike work over car work despite the clearances. Its much more civilized to sit on a stool smoking a cigarette with the bike on a centre stand in the middle of the garage than stuck under a dark car thats dripping fluids and dropping grit into your eyes.

At least if a wheel flys off my car I wont die after replacing brakes :v:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Someone needs to remind me next year not to go riding on Prom weekend :psyduck:

For some reason everyone has to race everyone. I had a dude in a Nissan Versa try to pass me on a 2 lane road. Gave it some throttle to get the guy to get off my rear tire going ~70 in a 55, and he tried to pass me for about 10 seconds staying in the other lane before I just slowed the hell down to let him pass before he mashed into oncoming traffic. Now I feel all ashamed and my manhood has been shattered for being passed by a VERSA of all cars, christ.

On the flip side I encountered tons of slow motorcycle riders. Cruisers who go 10-15 under the speed limit on straight roads, and slow down to a crawling pace around curves. And the best part is the only people I see wearing helmets around here are sport bike riders and the occasional tourer.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Is there a certain age, regardless of mileage that you bring yourself to replacing a chain rather than worrying about it? Can't imagine that the orings on most stock chains last that long through light/moderate over say 20-30 years.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Here is the definitive Supersport buying guide:

1. Pick which bike you think looks best.
2. Buy it.

What about rear end comfort :(

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

null0ne posted:

So long story short, I managed to dumbass half of my right index finger off. Everything after the joint closest to the tip is gone. I have adjustable levers, so after I'm done getting stuffed full of vicoden and antibiotics, will getting back on the bike be as easy as pulling the lever back a click where I can reach it?

:gonk: Holy christ. Were you wearing gloves? If so what kind so I can make sure I dont buy them? Was it some sort of slide or did you pull one of the "cleaning chain while rear tire is up and spinning and finger caught inside the sprocket" jobs?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

null0ne posted:

Lubing it, yup. And to be fair, after this it will probably only take one, two more severed fingers tops for me to learn my lesson. I describe it as dumbassing my finger off for a reason...

Now was the bike running at the time or were you spinning it by hand? I ask because depending on how free your chain spins you can build up some inertia and if you get caught with the chain the sprocket is still going to do some damage before the tire comes to a halt. I have had similar ouch situations working with heavy compressor pulleys that were off, just getting my finger caught between the belt and pulley. Usually it is just a horrible pinch and a fingernail looking funky for a while.

After I saw my first set of finger picks from chain lube stories, I will only lube that drat thing from behind the bike facing the very end of the sprocket and chain circle. Ugh :gonk:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
How can 2 fenders and a fuel tank retail for $4800?

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1150695623.html

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Simkin posted:

No way is a petrol tank worth $2500. Not even if it gently massages your balls while you ride. :colbert:

I thought that was the entire reason to ride a motorcycle?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
What sort of stuff would I expect from a Kawasaki KZ1000 police issue? I mentioned it in the Police thread, that I found a 1998 model for sale near me for 3k. Full front windscreen and hard luggage attached to the rear. Looks awesome for long distance touring. Liter bike yes, but it is a bit on the heavier side and the engine doesnt seem to be as high strung as say an R1 or ZR10 for example.

EDIT: holy poo poo, insurance at my same coverage level is only 170 bucks. I think my zx600 is around 276. Liability only.

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 4, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Crayvex posted:

I made a post about my experiences with a KZ1000P in the cop gear thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3118984&pagenumber=2

One thing to add, they sit high very high.

Like how what high are we talking? Like high center of gravity or really high seat height? both?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Crayvex posted:

Both. It has a high center of gravity and the cop bike forums are full of shorties trying to find ways to lower the bike so they can stand flat footed on the ground. I'm over 6' so it isn't a problem for me.

Can you compare it to any other bike? Perhaps a V-strom ;). I know it weighs more but I really hope the seat height isnt something crazy like 35".

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Christoff posted:

Welp, dropped my first bike.

Was pulling it out of the garage and just lost the balance, I suppose. Luckily there's a trailer in the garage with tires on the side. The back seat went right up against it perfectly and supported it.

drat a 750 if hard to pick up I'm not sure how you guys get it from the ground.

No damage. Yeah! :)

Dont feel too bad. The first time I was moving my bike around the garage I was standing on one side of it to move it around, stopped and placed it down with a bit of forward motion. Kickstand went back and up, bike went down on me crushing my legs and my torso. Try bench pressing a 400lb bike off you when the foot rests are stabbing your legs and your rear end is smashing fairings laying on the ground :(

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

For the first - it can vary widely by bike and design. I don't have experience with an R1, so I'll address the second.

You should be looking at between $50 and $75 a tire. I paid $89 a tire with new valve stems (mine were cracked) and tax. That was on the bike. Some places give you a break if you pull them off yourself. Also, make sure they even do it. Some places won't touch them unless you bought the tires from them.

Dizamn, the local Honda/Yamaha dealer near me charged 25 flat per wheel for mounting, balancing, and core. This is off bike of course, but they dont care where the tire comes from

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Haha, waiting at the BMV to get my license (save oninsurance between now and MSF) and I am the only one wearing gear outside of helmet in a group of 10 riders to far. One harley guy, huge suzuki standard, gsx, and like 6 scooters. Only one scooter guy wearing a helmet :( what the hell.

Edit: huzzah passed

First 4 testers failed, first was spectacular. Girl in her 20's wiped out on the swerve test. Next was a near wipeout on the fast stop, the next was a harley guy that failed cone and uturn. Final guy was just pointsa adding up from feet down.

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 9, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

That is some of the best news I have heard in a long time, justice system finally works. I remember when that story first came out and all the bullshit from the 2 daughters and father made me think he was going to get off with a slap on the wrist. gently caress that guy, I hope he gets shanked a few times in the back.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Well I finally managed to find a riding position that doesnt kill my back or arms during a longer ride. It is somewhere between fully upright and laying on the tank, just kinda hunched over. Only issue was getting dizzy and almost drunk feeling, which is still going on about 6 hours later. Not sure if it is dehydration or what, but it doesnt feel right.

Also figured out how to get my Olympia jacket vents fully open. Double velcro on the flaps to keep them open, and felt like I was standing in front of a fan with my arms open the entire time. Not a drop of sweat, and it peaked at about 80F today.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Sounds like dehydration to me. You "should" be needing to pee at every gas stop. If you don't, you need to ponder drinking more.

But my bike gets decent gas mileage and I didnt really need to fill up today :shobon:

Gr3y posted:

Unless you were hanging upside down for an extended period your body positioning shouldn't make you feel drunk/dizzy. I remember you talking about snow earlier this year, so I'm going to guess you're from one of those backward rear end places that has actual weather. Not sweating in (to you) warm weather, is a bad thing. It can come from one of two situations:
1. You have enough airflow that the sweat is evaporating before it begins to bead. This isn't too bad but it can mask:
2. You don't have any fluid to spare for cooling your rear end down.

My uncle was an archeologist out here in Arizona for years, and every summer he would get kids from the more temperate climates coming out here on internships. He would have to stress that once you stop sweating, you start dying. Inevitably someone wouldn't take it seriously ("But it's a dry heat!") and wind up having to get hauled off to a hospital and pin-cushioned to get fluids back into them.

Dehydration is bad news, because it fucks with the way you think. You aren't as clear as you should be, your reaction times are increased, your judgment is shot to hell, etc. It's a pain in the rear end while hiking, but I would think it's pretty deadly at 70+ mph.

Well the lack of sweating part might be linked to the opening of vents on my jacket. I was sweating my rear end off the day before when it was humid as hell out and my vents were not open all the way. Whatever the case may be I will be definitely drinking more before rides. Also looking for one of those back bladder things when I ride back to WI so I can sip on water through my helmet.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Chairon posted:

Is it bad that my ignition key is a Yamaha? And the seat lock is a Honda? And the Bike is a Suzuki? I don't think replacing an ignition switch would be too hard though.

But I swear I have not seen One person with any gear riding around here, aside from a helmet(Of course it's a 3/4 helmet. I've only seen 1 full face.) I just don't see how someone can ride like that. I wonder what the figures for crashes and deaths in motorcycle accidents would look like if wearing full gear was a law.

It would probably mean less organs and tissue for lawmakers suffering from illnesses ;)

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Motorcycle roadside assistance. Who do you use? How much does it cost? What does it cover?

I'm getting the wanderlust again and think I'd rather not get stuck in wyoming or west Texas without anyone to call. Currently looking at AMA, and AAA Plus.

EDIT:I'm not sure if USAA covers bikes on their roadside assistance plan but I'm going to look into that too.

On this note if I already have AAA for my car and stuff, does that also work for the motorcycle or is that separate coverage?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

The AAA +RV plan will cover motorcycles.

drat, guess it will be cheaper to go with that Kawasaki roadside plan.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Ola posted:

Woop! Three weeks from now I'll be doing a proof-of-concept run to see if I can make it through Europe in a tent.

Shuffled some days off from work around and got three days to ride on. Gonna go buy a tent soon. They come with fully equipped bathrooms these days right?

:(:arghfist:

What is the job market like there right now?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Spiffness posted:

There is really only one place to hang out on GIXXER forums:

Crash forum hilarity/facepalm action

edit: Stay classy

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?s=e31e39e7f9ed92a1ee31bbb05131fbd9&t=59198

Yea man gently caress that guy its not like you just crashed his bike from your stupidity or anything. gently caress him he should know it was an "accident". Ugh what a forum full of asshats.

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?s=e31e39e7f9ed92a1ee31bbb05131fbd9&t=63330

Hey lets speed in heavy stop and go traffic and ram the back of EMS trucks. AWesome

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

My favorite part of that first thread is that he's like "Look, if my bud crashed my bike I wouldn't ask him to pay me back!"

Sure dude, tell me more. I'd like to race your bike :allears:

Yea keeps a nagging voice in the back of my head about borrowing my bosses track bike for my first track day. He offered it up but I am not really sure what the hell I would do if I crashed it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Z3n posted:

Well, if it's a trackbike...it's probably not going to be a huge deal if it's crashed, unless it's really setup. That's why you track trackbikes...no expensive fairings, just easily repaired fiberglass.

My last couple of crashes were expensive, but most of that was in gear costs. Under 500$ for the replacement parts for both of my accidents. Of course, I'm riding a bike that crashes well, and I don't have unobtanium ohlins forks or anything.

It was probably going to be an 08+ 250r or 500 for the class they race in. Worst case its not as expensive as crashing a car :v:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
For trip planning, has anyone ever found a site that you plug in say two zipcodes, and it gives the 5-10 day forecast for the start and destination and maybe a midpoint between?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Hatin on carbs is for people who are confused by anything that doesnt come with a windows interface.

E: and its never just "type in some new settings". Its not like theres a toggle switch in the software that you can switch from "run bad" to "run good".

Hey well my o2 sensor allows me to run exhaust mods without having to retune :colbert:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Man A posted:

Why do people seem to hate Harleys so much? I don't have much experience with bikes yet but I always thought they were pretty cool.

On average the riders tend to be asshats, have the loudest possible exhaust systems, and flaunt their 30k bikes at any chance they can. Oh yea leak oil, belt drive, bla bla

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Ack, riding the Bandit in hot weather is like riding a lit barbecue grill

:xd:

I just swapped back to my Jardine Ti exhaust system for a semi-related reason. The stock system is so thick that it retains a fuckload of energy (heat) and stays very hot to the touch at all times. The Jardine system is cool to the touch about 10 minutes after riding, and throws off less heat to me leg. Beyond that I looooove my naked SV. There is no directed heat anywhere at me while riding. On my ZX you can feel with your legs when the thermostat is opening/closing since your legs get nice and toasty for a bit, then cools off again.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

laymil posted:

I'm heading on a 10 day tour from NJ to Atlanta, up to Johnson City, TN for the BMW MOA rally, back to Atlanta, and then back to NJ. If anyone is in those areas and wants to head out for a ride in that timeframe, feel free to PM me for contact info.

If you happen to see me, come say hi. I'll be on my '89 Katana.

Did any of that route you towards the Cincinnati area?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Heh I thought you were going to talk about Ron Ayers that has to wait 5 days before shipping anything out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

I wanted to grab a few extra crush washers for my oil drain plug, just to have around. ninja250.org listed the Ron Ayers part number, so I'm like "sure, can't be too expensive." $.99 for three crush washers, with something like $10 for the cheapest s/h, which was going to take like 2 weeks. :psyduck:

gently caress it, I'll check out Home Depot next time I'm there, thanks.

Yea I ran into the EXACT situation for crush washers on my SV. Couldnt find anyone else selling them, and I wanted to like change my oil you know... soon. Drove to the nearest dealer on my bike that is like 20 miles away. Less in gas than shipping would have been :v: