Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orange Someone posted:

Changing the subject completely, I've finally got a job so I'm actually riding my bike along the same route again and again. It's scary how quickly I can do the Five Bridges when there's nothing else on the roads. On the other hand, jeans really don't protect you from the cold when it's 6am and you're at 60mph. I normally wear my motorbike trousers but I wasn't sure if there would be storage space at work. However, my knees got bloody cold so went back to my proper trousers.

Rain gear will help a lot, i used to wear mine on cold days even if it wasnt wet as they block the wind. although you really should be wearing some armour all the time, jeans arent nice to crash in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

Also, if you're into aftermarket farkles, the KTM's going to be a bit dry and expensive there. There's a huge, established aftermarket for the DRZ, so if you want to tweak and fiddle you'll have to be patient on the KTM or pay through the nose.

In fairness the ktm comes from the factory with pretty high spec kit anyway, unlike the drz which needs a cash injection to change it from so-so supermotoesque bike to something more wild

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Most of it seems pretty straightforward: unbend a few things and get a new clutch lever. However, one point of concern: my bike always started just fine in any gear (with clutch held in) before, but now it won't turn over in the slightest unless it's in neutral.

Any ideas?

your clutch switch may be damaged, the bent lever mightn't be actuating it or the wires have pulled out of it, should be a simple fix.

Orange Someone posted:

I'd guess the sidestand switch is stuck on, though clutch switch is just as likely. Depends on what your bike has.

Sidestand switch would kill the engine as soon as he put it in gear

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

Does anyone wave when cars let you pass? It hasn't happened that many times, but when I've been on great roads, having a good time and a car lets me pass I give them a big wave. It kind of has to be big since my left hand is busy and my right hand is obscured when I'm ahead.

i give a thumbs up to people that let me by but we drive on the left so its easy to pop my left hand out, thumbs up then back on the bars. for other bikers its the nod usually.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 2, 2009

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phat_Albert posted:

scanning/printing gaskets...

i did this for my mates grey import cb400 as we couldn't get a gasket for it anywhere at the time. i actually scanned the engine case and printed straight onto gasket paper, worked a treat, just have to be really careful when cutting it out.

edit: obviously i dicked around with the scanned image in photoshop to get a solid black gasket outline. it wasn't hard though, and if you're scanning the actual gasket then its even easier.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 23, 2009

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Silky Thighs posted:

After getting my new tires i finally went to learn to lean today at a gorge. Lots of twists and turns. I forgot what gear i was in and tried to go through a sharp turn in 5th gear, almost panicked since there was an oncoming car. I can't really remember what happened, but i couldn't accelerate the bike through the turn as well as i would have liked.

I've learned a lot about downshifting/upshifting while riding through these gorges for 2 hours today.

I was going to go ride at night, but my back lights seem to not be working. A guy in a pickup truck stopped at a red light and warned me about it. I turned back home. When i hit the breaks the lights flicker (it was made to do that), and the turn signals work, but the rear night lights that stay on all the time seem to be off.

Whats the deal? :(

if its a dual filament bulb one has probably blown.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

But mines aren't the race/track ones, they're the "organic kevlar" (according to the seller wemoto.com) type, "you're just a mellow accountant, enjoying your sunday" type of brake pads. Anyway, this is my only milestone for brake pads in the future, I don't care about fading or glazing or heat cycles or anything. On the road, they get used way less than a car's and I need something that delivers straight from sleep mode. You're totally correct, gotta try different types. It's so easy to swap and they're so cheap, no reason to wait for them to be worn down to some experimenting.

those pads are dirt, the EBC HH pads are ok street pads, fine in the rain, i ride in the rain almost every day and cheaped out once and bought the organic pads. i kept them on for 2 weeks before going back to the HH ones

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

dietcokefiend posted:

I tried this with the main pegs and it works really well at lower speeds like being stuck in bumper to bumper construction traffic. Only problem was on the right side if I wasnt careful my heel would rub on the spinning tire. At full highway speeds (80-100) I think it might be an accident waiting to happen.

I it could be a bright pink assbag inflatable circle and if it worked I wouldnt care.

i sit up on the pillion seat a lot on long drives, i find it pretty comfortable.
i alternate between that, normal seating with regular standing up and leg stretches, and lying flat on the tank with my feet on the passenger pegs.
At the end of the day you just have to build up the correct muscles to deal with it.
I'd bet that 3 hour rides will seem easy to you now after that ordeal.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

redscare posted:

Were you waiting to turn left or go straight? If straight, push the crosswalk button. If you have to go left, what I've done is turn right and then flip a bitch. Beats sitting at the red light.

i fit those loops a lot in work, try stopping over one of the side cuts, the loops seem more sensitive along the sides than across.

code:
  ---------------
  |             |
  |             | < stop over these bits
  ---------------  

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chairon posted:

gently caress.

gently caress gently caress gently caress!

Melted a drat hole in my pants! I can't figure out how it happened either. It's on my outside right leg. The only thing near it is the muffler, and it's six inches behind it. And it's not on the inside or back, where I could accidentally rest my leg on it or anything. And my wrist is about to fall off from the clutch. Holy jesus.

probably when filling up or manoeuvring the bike while walking beside it, do you stand beside the bike or sit astride it to fill the tank?, i used to stand beside it till i melted a pair of overpants while leanign over to see the fuel level.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phat_Albert posted:

Is it really called the DullVille?

This looks like it is to the ST1300 like the GL500 was to the big Goldwing.

its called a deauville in europe, known as dullvilles to most people as they're such an efficient bland motorcycle.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pinny posted:

Haven't seen it posted anywhere yet, the BBC have live streaming coverage this week from the NW200: http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/nw200/

Practice session is on at the moment for 2hours :D

I was supposed to be going to this but my fine for overtaking on a double white line, car tax, bike tax, tv license and electricity bill all arrived in the last 4 days. :(

still there are plenty of more races over the summer, none quite have the cachet the NW200 has though.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fantastipotamus posted:

I just want to hear 11-17k in person. :)

weren't those r6's the ones with the deceitful tachs? more like 10-16k

joking aside, i used to have a bike that redlined at 17k and hit the limiter just shy of 20k, its an awesome sound, especially as it was a 250 and you could do that and stay at legal speeds.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

teknicolor posted:

It depends on how/why you ride. My motorcycle has never been more expensive (nor less) than my car, and I intend to keep it that way.

having it off the road for year(s)? will save you a whole bunch on running costs alright.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Spiffness posted:

So if one was maybe going to have a motorcycle for three days in Paris...

Where do you go?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9BofCzc80U

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I like to think it sounds like a GAU-8 sometimes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eD_Lo61rAw&feature=player_detailpage#t=82s

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

KARMA! posted:

How much more attention does he get for being ewan's bike buddy than failing at acting?

Hey hey, His Dad was famous too, he's not just milking Ewans fame.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

quote:

Police believe the man was traveling northbound on Alexander Street and failed to negotiate the sharp curve near Monroe Avenue.

You'ld have to travelling pretty fast for that to be considered a sharp curve.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Its really easy to tell you guys don't live anywhere that it rains all the time, not to mention places that are crawling with thieving assholes.

I'd never leave gear at the bike unless i had a lockable top box or panniers, even then a lot of places around here if you were seen putting anything valuable into a top box there's a good chance some oval office would have smashed his way in and nicked it by the time you got back.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Be prepared for the possibility that its your R/R that's gone. get a multimeter and go through this troubleshooting process
http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Saga posted:

This is the UK, not San Diego. You don't expect things to be cancelled because it's slightly wet. They would have to cancel 60% of all tests.

The DSA was just being amazingly poo poo.

I did my full license test in a loving torrential downpour, the tester follows you in a car here so they don't give a gently caress unless there's ice on the roads.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

rcman50166 posted:

Hey guys I got another question for you all. Where can I find parts for the old 250cc I4 engines Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha used to put in their bikes in the 80s and 90s? I know they are pretty rare in the US but don't need the whole bike, just the engines (in fact only from the cylinders and up). Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

uk and ireland would have a lot of them. look on https://www.donedeal.ie lots of breakers advertise on there

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

_Dav posted:

Look at what's happening in Ireland and you'll note that I'm not in the minority with my thoughts on cans vs. High Vis. I've only got anecdotes, but I was pulled out infront of far more without an aftermarket can (Z750). And yeah I wore high-vis etc

I'm in ireland, what exactly is happening?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
If that biker had stayed up on the wheelie his plate wouldn't have been readable to the camera

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

Diesel :argh:

Such a wonderful fuel for heavy work, such a bitch whenever it goes where it's not supposed to go.

Yeah, every loving place around here is like Rainbow Road with diesel spills lately. Its not like that poo poo is cheap, how can they afford to piss it all over the road, and nearly always right along the line I want to drive in.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
When i have to bring the car I drive to college an hour early as it only takes 10 minutes. If I leave any later than that i could spend 30-45 minutes going insane while crawling through school traffic (there are 3 secondary and 4 primary schools between my house and the university entrance).

When i take the bike i can go down a little country back-road and get in through a pedestrian entrance. takes 5 minutes.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h...19,0.00284&z=19

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Angry Toenail posted:

I just recently bought and am learning to ride on a 2007 Yamaha Scorpio SX4.

My area is really hilly and I haven't quite mastered the art of hill-starting. Until then, I'm hesitant to venture too far. :3:

Thats a nice little bike, what country are you in, I've never seen one of those before.

re: Hill Starts. Hold the bike with the rear brake on hills then rev it up a bit and slip the clutch until you feel the bike take up the chain tension, then ease off on the rear brake and gently let the clutch out fully. If anything goes wrong just clutch in, apply the rear brake and start again. Slipping wont hurt the bikes clutch the same way as a cars.

Practice on flat ground till your comfortable with modulating the gas/throttle and brake. the ideal engine speed/amount of clutch slip will vary from bike to bike so you just have to learn whats best for yours.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Linedance posted:

it takes less than that to cut it. If it exits, there's a tool out there to destroy it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvCaDcmicXE

That's depressing, its almost silent. at least someone with a battery angle grinder would draw attention to the thief

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
My first insurance on a Bandit 250 was over 1000 euro, its come down to 370 a year now for third party cover for my two bikes and i can ride anyone elses bike. Thats with 8 years no claims bonus
My car insurance is actually more than my bike insurance these days. Car is 540 a year third part fire and theft for a 1.3 litre

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
There's a guy with a black first gen multistrada in my town who does courier work on it. He doesn't treat it gently.
The ugly looks have grown on me, and it sounds amazing.

I would love to put one of those BMW/Cagiva roost mudguards on my DRZ. PO put a fender eliminator on mine and its just a terrible idea in a country where it rains almost every day. Do they make generic aftermarket ones?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Backov posted:

The weather has just turned back into not poo poo here (England), and of course I'm leaving in <2 weeks.

I am going to The Land of Thais, where the bikes are small and the traffic is incredibly dangerous. Will I be able to resist riding one of the ubiquituous 150cc scooters in traffic? Probably not.

Boy I'm going to miss riding a real motorcycle though.

Anyone ridden in this area of the world and have horrible warnings for me?
Where are you going over there? No way would i ride in Bangkok but i did plenty of miles all over the north and south/islands and never really had any problems.

Those 150cc step-throughs are awesome fun, try to get proper brand name ones if you can find them anymore. Last time i was in Thailand it was almost all chinese knock offs which are fine around town but i'd be wary of going too far on them. I did 2up 150km round trips on a honda wave and it never missed a beat.

Up around Chang Mai/Pai you should be able to rent 250 enduro bikes easily enough, although i never had much joy with anything bigger than what the locals are on as the bikes arent maintained as well/less parts available.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Marv Hushman posted:

HDs can be had all over the place for reasonable daily rates.

http://harley-tours-thailand.com/

reasonable?

quote:

If you'd prefer to get out on your own, Harley Tours Thailand has a fleet of Harley Davidsons available for rent. At 4000 Baht per day.

Thats a hundred euro a day. you can rent 150's for a fiver a day.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ola posted:

For some reason I'm convinced my left hand can't be seen from behind and to the right when I pass a car, so I've practiced the right hand wave. Pull through the passing gear, clutch in, big wave with throttle hand while upshifting, back on. I really could just to a slightly wide wave with the left. Or get a LED scrollboard on the top box which goes THANX!! <3 <3 <3

One of the advantages of driving on the correct side of the road means that my left hand is ideally placed to give a big thumbs up to anyone that pulls in to let me pass .

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Pinny posted:

I'll get nailed on price no matter what, they rarely come up for sale on the island. The last decent SM I saw was £3k, the rest are all E's so extra cost converting.

It's looking more and more like I'll have to buy from the UK and bring it over on the ferry and register it here. Or just say gently caress it and get a new 690.

I wouldn't really recommend a 690 as a first bike.
Is it more hassle to import from ireland than uk mainland? there are a few for sale here and up north aswell
Don't forget about CCMs they're basically DRZ400s or DR650s with better suspension and a bit of engine tuning
http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbikes/for-sale/Leinster/supermoto
http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbikes/for-sale/Ulster/supermoto

echomadman fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 4, 2012

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

So I'm not sure what the level of acceptability copy/pasting an article is, but HFL posted a compilation of responses to a Reddit Ask Me Anything thread on motorcycle theft with responses from a UK cop and an American thief.

Since it's not original content I'm pasting it here before it goes behind HFL's paywall, because they're classy and will probably put freely-generated content behind their paywall:

I thought it was interesting that he debunks the "they just load it into a van" thing, even after the cop reaffirms it. Maybe a UK/US style difference, or even a regional thing? Because that seems to be a very common refrain whenever this discussion comes up.

The final gist and thing they both agree on, though, is "make your bike harder to steal than the next one" (and don't own sportsbikes).

In the uk and here in ireland its probably van driving tinkers doing the robbing, so back of a van theft is pretty common.

Often you see pro guys working in pairs, riding around on a bike, they duck in and out of apartment complex and factory carparks, pillion hops off and goes to work on the target bike, if they're interrupted they both take off on the first bike, if not they ride away with a bike each.

My mate had his bike stolen from his company carpark by a bunch of bored teenagers, they cut a lock on a pedestrian gate and 4 or them carried the bike away to somewhere they could work on the locks in peace. luckily we found them joyriding it and got it back after some mild drama.
Same little fuckers robbed another guys bike from outside a chipshop on the same street in the space of time it took him to buy a bag of chips. If i remember right it was found wadded with a big crotch dent in the tank, so there was some small karmic justice brought to bear on the robbing cunts.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

As I mentioned earlier I'm learning on a 600 (ER-6n) already and my instructor recommended the Hornet and the Bandit to me. The bike is going to be my day to day commuter and needs to be able to handle motorway miles at the weekend - my extended family lives on the other side of the Pennines (big rear end range of hills that divides Northern England) - so I'd want something that wouldn't struggle with the climb over them in either direction too.

No bike > 250cc will struggle with any of that. the bandit is a grand starter bike, they're common as muck, parts easy to get. bit of a porker but they can hustle along at extra-legal speeds no problem.
any of the mid range 500-650cc standards will be pretty much the same in terms of handling/speeds comfort. buy the one you like the looks of and can afford

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

HNasty posted:

Sounds like a good time, in the mean time my loving tire has given out and I still have 1 more ride planned for tomorrow. On a scale of stupid ideas how stupid is to ride with your cords showing in just one spot?

all thats left for that tyre to do is a patriotic SUPPORT ARE TROOPS burnout

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tenchrono posted:

Well, I just did my first wheelie on my SV650, On accident. I was engine braking in second going up to a stop light on a slight incline, the light turned green when I was doing about 10 mph and I "floored" the throttle. It took me about a second of staring at the sky to realize what just happened and I slowly let go of the throttle, then for some reason pulled it back again and did another mini one. I pulled over into a turn lane to catch my breath and not two seconds later a cop car rolled by and asked if I was alright. I was about to poo poo bricks thinking he caught me doing one and my rear end would be grass, but he saw me at the side of the road and was just wondering if I ran out of gas. I told him everything was fine and he said "alright, have a nice day."

I want to do more for some reason :ohdear:

the sv will blow its forkseals if you do too many or land one badly as i found out a few weeks ago

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

To be the most true to the source material, I'd use "four wheels good, two wheels better!"

Ducatistas would say that all bikes are equal, but some are more equal than others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

americanzero4128 posted:

I was driving home from work yesterday on a two lane highway (two lanes each way). I went into the left lane to pass a van, and in my rearview mirror I see a red Audi barreling down the road, probably going 10-20 mph faster than everyone else. I get around the van and put my turn signal on to indicate I'm moving right so this guy can get around me. Well, that doesn't sit well with this fellow who decided to split between the van and myself. I'm glad I was in the outside of my lane or I would have been pasted to the road. I check myself, the van driver gives me a "what the gently caress was that" look, and I continue driving. This Audi, however, continues to swerve in and out of traffic, then slam on his brakes (I heard the squealing) and whip a right hand turn from the left lane into Burger King :wtc:

I'm guessing that pants making GBS threads was imminent