Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.

pr0zac posted:

I'm having a really hard time making the decision between the two for just that reason. If I were an illogical man I'd have already bought this: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/911951823.html Alas, my desire to keep my license (and savings) is preventing me from jumping on it immediately and keeps me looking at DRZs instead.
I ride a KTM 660 SMC, and it's my first big bike, ever. I have not had a single problem with it's power, but also I have huge respect for things that can easily kill me. Just keep in mind that you're riding something that loves to wheelie, and you'll be fine. It's awesome on twisty roads, but sucks for freeway riding (at least imo). As I don't need it for commuting, it's the perfect bike for me and if I had to replace it would be a supermoto as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Wohoo, new taillight and fender ordered! Cant wait to get rid of the ugly one I have now.

From this:

To this:

Working on getting the bike into my apartment so I can work on it. Biggest problem is that I live on the 7th floor, and I'm not sure if the bike will fit in the elevator. Time will show!

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

waptang posted:

Of course it will.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Hehe, that might be the solution! Also the reason I have had to wait, need some friends for backup in case there's need for lifting :)

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Ola posted:

:emo:

Oh man I've done that to many times myself, both with cars and bikes. I love this country, but come on, let us have some fun :(

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Simkin posted:

I'm sure that the availability of good lutefisk more than makes up for vehicles costing 2-3x as much as anywhere else, right? :v:

Haha, I'm,closing in on 30 now and have not yet tasted lutefisk! That poo poo is just gross...

I can deal with the prices here, but when it comes to riding offroad poo poo just gets stupid. Have not ridden a snowmobile for almost ten years now because of stupid regulations. Have also wanted a dirtbike since I got to sit on one when I was 4, but it's a pain in the rear end to get to places to ride.
Thinking about getting some enduro wheels and tires for my bike and offroad when no one sees me :ninja:

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Couldn't help myself today, had to see if the bike started :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN2jiWciVw4

Finally got it inside yesterday. Were cleaning the workshop at work the other day, and when I was done I realized my bike would fit in along one of the walls just fine.
Took a few kicks, but as soon as I got the spark plug wire back on it started right up :downs:

Here is how it looked when I finished today.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

mutt2jeff posted:

What are the grey boxes on the shelves behind the bike?
Continuous ink jet printers. Typical use of one would be printing expiry dates.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Recipe for a perfectly ok way to spend a saturday evening.

Take one beefy carb:

About 10 feet of ventilation hose, for tonight I have chosen orange:

One beer:

Fit tubing onto the carb while enjoying the delicious ice cold beer :)

Edit: Mission accomplished!

Valfar fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 21, 2009

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

In case anyone is as noob as I, or is amused by noob idiocy:

Left my lights on, drained my battery. So I'm sitting on a dead bike in a parking lot 2mi from home by myself. Called my brother and asked "can you google up 'push start motorcycle'?"

He reads the instructions, I think I got it, and I've got a nice long stretch of 75m of gradual slope, and 50m of relatively steep downhill. Perfect.

Get on, start riding it down, can't get the barest whimper from the engine. Get all the way to the bottom of the hill. gently caress it, guess I'll have to walk home, drive me car here, and jump start it. I hop off and start to push it to the side to park it, and as I do so get a little rumble in the engine.

Hold up... did I just ride down the entire hill with the clutch engaged?. Yep. So I pushed it uphill about 10m, left it in second, released the clutch, and the engine kicked in before it rolled even 10ft.

Worked out okay, but drat did I feel retarded.
I tried to push start my car once with the ignition off :downs:

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Yay my bike is starting to look like a bike again!

(This is how it looked about a week ago)

Now I just have to mount the rear light (just zip-tied right now) and change oil, then hit the roads (if it doesn't start raining...)!

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Yay, instead of a billion parts I have a complete bike again!

Took it out for a small spin, and oh dear god does it feel great to ride again (almost six months since the last time)! It appears it's still a little light in the front end, but hey, what are you gonna do :D

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Uhm I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be there Mr.Sprocket.

So I was riding and heard this strange noise. Sounded a bit like the noise my kick start makes when the bike idles, so my first thought was that. Put my hand on it and it went away. A couple seconds later it was back, did the same but it didn't go away so I figured I'd better stop. A second later I heard a loud CLUNG, looked down and my chain had snapped right off! Pulled over and got off the bike to see that the god damned counter sprocket bolt had snapped right off!

I had about an hour to stare at the bike while working out what the gently caress just happened while I was waiting for my dad to pick me up, and landed on the following conclusion:

The head on the bolt snapped off.
Sprocket started moving making the noise I heard.
Finally it fell off and locked the chain. Rear wheel kept turning and ripped the chain apart.

No damage at all besides the broken bolt and chain, so I guess I was kind of lucky. Getting the rest of the bolt out will be a pain in the rear end, but when that'.s done all I need is a new chain and bolt, and I'll be back on the road again.

Have been reading up on this, and it's suggested that you replace the bolt every time you take the sprocket off, which I have not done. Some people over at the advrider forum have had the same thing happening to them, so at least I'm not the only one!

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Ola posted:

Holy poo poo!

Your bike quite new right? Maybe it's still under warranty? Good thing it didn't do more damage to you or the bike.

It's a 2003 so no warranty :|

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

my ktm threw a chain too! but the sprocket was ok.
That part surprised me a bit, didn't think it could snap the chain right off..

Everything else is ok, it starts up just fine, and the countershaft spins just like it should thankfully. Was worried for a little while that I would have to tear the entire engine apart.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

lancemantis posted:

I finally got to see one of these today :)

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

A guy on a Norwegian forum I use bought one not long ago, then managed to lose his license for speeding a day or two ago and now have to sell it. I feel so sorry for him...

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

We all know KTM sells an unbelievable amount of KTM branded merch.
New for '10 is a KTM branding iron!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Holy poo poo, Husaberg is adding two two-strokes to their line-up next year :what:
http://www.husaberg.com/EVOLUTION-REVOLUTION.23.7.html?nodeID=1058&cHash=e4234a5747

A 250 and a 300. In the 22 year's they've made bikes, they have never made a two stroke. Dual ignition, adjustable exhaust valves, six speed gearbox, 11 liter fuel tank and electric start.

I figured since four strokes have been taking over more and more we'd not see any new two strokes. Guess I was wrong! Hope it will be possible to get them street legal, I want one with sumo tires!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0FzSAgEEVM