Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Twenty-Seven posted:

I must see this video. Who is that with O'Reilly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I went by the Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX today to check out the AMS trackday. There were four Desmosedicis there but I only got to see one on the track. It is the most incredible sounding thing with a combustion engine. I also got to see a woman crash her Paul Smart 1000 and another guy absolutely destroyed one of AMS' demo 848s. This was within the hour that I was there.

There was also a guy there on a Bimota DB7 ($40,000). He picked it up that morning and rode it to the track to "break it in'. He was in the expert class and he was keeping up with the fastest riders. Afterwards I went to the shop where he bought it and they told me that he had traded a Ducati 1098R for the DB7.

*Edited to add* One of the instructors was on track on a Gilera Fuoco.

bung fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 18, 2008

bung
Dec 14, 2004

AkrisD posted:

Hah, I remember going to the Bimota website in like 2001 and it hasn't changed a bit. Gorgeous bikes though. On that note, does anyone remember the superbike some artist built awhile back (1990's, I think he was a Kiwi or something?) All I remember is that he raced for a couple of years and then died of cancer shortly after premiering his new awesome motorcycle. The bike was totally unique for the time and amazingly gorgeous.

John Britten

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Uggghhhhh, sometimes you get so into thinking about a problem that you look right past the obvious solution.

I had done some work on my old Speed Triple that caused me to disassemble the top half of the bike. When I put everything back together, I put the key in the ignition and turned it on. Nothing. No power at all. After about 10 minutes and right before I started to disassemble everything again, I noticed that the kill switch was in the off position. I never use the kill switch, as per Triumph's instruction, so I didn't think to check.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I demo'd the Ducati Monster 696 today and I was pleasantly surprised. The thing is so small it almost feels like riding lower seat height supermoto. It seemed to be happiest at about 5500 rpm and anything under 4k would lug the engine quite a bit. I don't like V/L twins so I was surprised that it didn't feel like a typical twin as it was a bit smoother. I'm a total Triumph fag so I would buy the Street Triple over the 696 plus the Triple is a few hundred cheaper.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

So, I bought my Triumph Sprint ST in February of 2007 and to date I have accrued 4,356 miles. I traded my Speed Triple for the Sprint because I had the idea that I wanted the fully faired bike with hard bags for multi-day trips. Two years and no trips later I've decided that I prefer naked bikes. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to get the details on consignment sales. I'm also going to check out the 2009 WRX so getting rid of the Sprint will free up a few hundred dollars every month so I can upgrade from the Fit. :whatup: My plan at this point is to pick up a gently used Speed Triple, Street Triple or supermoto of some sort later in the year.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Check auto parts stores for crush washers too. They'll be much cheaper than the dealer.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Buell has redesigned the Blast for 2010

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Crash Guy posted:

When you ride 2-up, you take somebody's life in your hands.

That is the reason that I don't ride with passengers.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

redscare posted:

(though some states do prohibit kids younger than 1 on bikes).

As of Sept. 1 in Texas, no one under five years of age can ride on a motorcycle.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

OrangeFurious posted:

You'll get a nice view of the back of the tire with that headlight placement.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Did Miguel seem to be a nice guy? I've heard, from someone that knows him, that he is a dick. But the someone is also known to be a dick too, so...

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I've always just multiplied the nm value by .75 to get ft-lbs.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Spiffness posted:

Never ever wander into the general discussion forums on bike or area specific sites. EVER.

Unless your totally into guns and NO BAMA

I like guns and dislike Obama. :colbert:

The only moto specific forum that I read is Two Wheeled Texans. Aside from the one guy who thinks that the Yamaha TW 200 is the best bike ever produced, most people there are pretty cool. You do see a lot of the pro-gun and anti-Obama in the general forum due to the majority of members being conservative.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Infinotize posted:

Pics of my exhaust pipe I am sending off to be welded:

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~drewg1/exhaust/

It's off a beautifully made tigcraft full ti system for a tuono.

Titanium welds are the best welds. What happened to that pipe?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Gnomad posted:

Well, my east coast and southern US friends, looks like you'll be taking some snow days off from the bike, won't you?

So, I will do the riding for you. In Alaska. That seems normal!

This is what we got in north TX today and it's still snowing.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Take a mountain bike, toss in a 17hp engine and some other goodies. You get the FX Bike https://www.fxbikes.com

Now I want to build my own with a 50-125cc two stroke with a full clutch but then I would pretty much end up with a trials bike.

I really want one of those.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Z3n posted:

XR1200, like all other Harleys, is a great bike as long as you're riding on your own, you don't have some other human being on a supersport to keep up with, and you're just looking for something that looks awesome, is pretty reliable, and not the most insane performer in the world.

I was going to make a joke about the XR being a 600 lb standard. But then I thought that it couldn't possibly weigh that much. I was right, the specs at the end of the video showed 250 kilos (551 lbs). God drat!

:ughh:

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I've done trackdays with two Ducati shops and both were $150. The first shop had three groups (A, B, and C) and three twenty minute sessions per hour with 7 sessions per group for the day. The second shop had two 30 minute sessions (classroom group and open group) per hour with 7 sessions per group for the day.

I got in good with the second shop and would volunteer to help tech bikes in the morning. Usually tech was done before the first session went out and they would let me ride all day on their demo bikes for no cost. Most trackday organizations will give you a free half or full day if you do corner work for a half or full day.

If you are getting tired sit out a session or two and wait for the last one. Most people will have left by then and you'll have more room on the track. The second shop I mentioned above would allow everyone on the track at the same time for the last session and it would run for an hour.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Retarded Pimp posted:

Just put a Sundowner tint strip on my visor.

I just use black electrical tape at the top and outside of the visor.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

That wouldn't be the first Ducati cruiser. This is the Ducati Indiana from 1987.

bung fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I hope they used something to absorb the oil.