Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

sigtrap posted:

You can't have it both ways. If you're not posting motorcycle threads in AI (because they fall back too quickly, a legitimate concern) then you're isolated by either a) huge ungainly megathreads that the rest of AI avoids or b) a subforum that the rest of AI possibly ignores.

Now your threads won't dissapear, at least.

Plus we got a great deal on the subforum because it's the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Phat_Albert posted:

Wow, if Bimota is selling 40K bikes, you would think they could afford a web designer.
Try their Italian website. It's in English too and a bit better looking.
http://www.bimota.it

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I am very disappointed that when I clicked Gladius Accessories; those space pants in the ad wern't listed.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

TheFonz posted:

Goddamn it!

Now I'm rocking out to this trippy quasi funk chill trance poo poo.

Gladius...

They've got it up for download too.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Motorcycle Riding Causes Impotence study finds.

FakeEdit: Also there is apparently a publication called the 'International Journal of Impotence Research'.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Rekinom posted:

Question: does anyone either own, have ridden, or know anyone that rides a Guzzi? I've been lusting after them for years, and I'm moving to a town with a Guzzi dealership, and I'm drat near sure that I'm going to buy one. I think they're perfect in every single way, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester is rebuilding one still last I heard. Outside of that; I got nothing. Here's a link.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2934536

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

snail posted:

:siren: :siren: Not for the squeemish (no, really)

You're not joking

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

quote:

The plan being considered by U.S. trade officials would impose a 100 percent import duty on more than 100 European goods -- including two engine displacement categories of motorcycles, 51cc to 250cc, and 251cc to 500cc.

The federal measure is designed as retaliation to the 27-member European Union's continuing import ban on American beef treated with growth hormones. EU officials haven't lifted that 20-year-old ban, despite a World Trade Organization (WTO) order to end it.

If U.S. officials impose the retaliatory tariff, it would double the price of a host of under-500cc on- and off-highway machines from brands such as Aprilia, Beta, BMW, Fantic, Gas Gas, Husaberg, Husqvarna, KTM, Montesa, Piaggio, Scorpa, Sherco, TM and Vespa.
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/09december08_tarrif.htm

Hey at least it doesn't affect Japanese bikes right? :v:

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 12, 2008

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I full tuck in school zones.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I see it fairly often just south of Dallas. I'd call it a 25-75 split. Mostly from cruisers though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

pr0zac posted:

Seriously, if you ride motorcycles and don't live in California

You're

doing

it

wrong.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

January 2nd 2009. GOD BLESS TEXAS

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

UPDATE: weather was bad anyway, so just took my car. But when I went back I went for an evening ride up into the Hill Country west of Austin for a few hours. Got some really good practice on sharp turns and steep hills, some practically vertigo inducing.

It did, however, really hammer home the limitations of the bike. I hasten to point out that this little 250cc is totally fine for all urban tasks I forsee ever doing, but it took most of my throttle to get up some of those really steep little hills on the backroads. On a good straightaway I can hit 65 reasonably quickly, but to hit the 80mph nominal top speed I'd need a pretty good stretch of clear road.

Further, as mentioned above, right around 60mph the wind resistance really starts affecting me, it feels like someone is just steadily pushing on my head and chest. Tucking helps a fair bit, but not perfect. The lightness of the bike is probably a factor there.

More reasons to get something with a little more guts when I upgrade, though again it is 100% acceptable for "drive down to campus, then hop on I-35 and go five exits south to visit a buddy" urban-type stuff.

You're in Austin right? If so make some time sometime to ride out to marble falls in the morning, and eat lunch on the river. It's great.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Simkin posted:

I'm sure that the availability of good lutefisk more than makes up for vehicles costing 2-3x as much as anywhere else, right? :v:

I've always wanted to try lutefisk; but alas it's not to be found in Texas.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

It's because the Ninja was made in Thailand.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I'd be more than happy to purchase an American sport bike as long as they made it within my budget. Until then, the Ninja is great!

Giving you a hard time, I love my 250 ;)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I rode down till the roads were filled with snow/sleet. Then it melted and I rode the next day. I like Dallas.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Please crush my pipe dream of getting an Aprilia RS 125 Street legalized in the States.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Well gently caress you aprilia :colbert:

also what about your chronic lying?

It's my suspicion that he's lying about aprilias to turn me off them :colbert:

I just think it'd be amazingly awesome to have a bike lighter then my ninja, with a little more power, and just happens to be a two stroke. It'd be great to bounce around Dallas with. Oh and its Italian.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I air guitar at stoplights

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Go Go Gadget Enduro Mode!

Z3n posted:

Also laffo at the "soft metal 30k mile wonders from asia". No one's ever taken a bike over 30k, much less around the world...oh wait.

I'm partial to this soft metal wonder.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Looks like we're finally getting another small bike in the US. CBR125 :argh:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/353/2019/Motorcycle-Article/2010-KYMCO-Quannon-150-First-Look.aspx

EDIT: If those shifty scooter riders are to be trusted Kymco is a halfway decent brand.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 13, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

I grant that they tend to be heavy, but lane splitting is illegal in 48 of the 50 states so most riders won't care that you can't do that.

Typo or did I miss the news? I thought only california was down?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Whilst on the subject of weird cruisers, and stereotypes vs. reality and all that: what do actual no-poo poo criminal biker gangs ride? Do they actually ride Harleys and view anyone riding non-US bikes with contempt?

MadMax tells me they all ride Kawasaki Z1000s

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Might be worth checking craigslist for used stands. I picked up a used Pitbull front stand (stem, not forklift) for under $100. It's in great shape though I still need to buy a rear stand before I can use it safely.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

rifles posted:

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/1147095363.html had to let you guys see this

yeah i think i'll buy it just for those pictures it comes with the girl right

Yes but Maintenance will eat you alive.

null0ne posted:

So long story short, I managed to dumbass half of my right index finger off. Everything after the joint closest to the tip is gone. I have adjustable levers, so after I'm done getting stuffed full of vicoden and antibiotics, will getting back on the bike be as easy as pulling the lever back a click where I can reach it?

Jesus, what happened man? was it bike related?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

rifles posted:

when in doubt, duct tape.

Zip ties are the new duct tape :colbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

darknrgy posted:

Yeah, when you need to lane split you need to lane split. I'd hate to still squeezed in with those cars right this moment still. Most places it's cake, but not this stretch of road. Glad I have the option at least.

Lane splitting is so awesome, after getting a taste of riding though LA in rush hour, I can't look at traffic jams in Dallas the same way. I won't normally lane split here, though yesterday after getting cut off by some bimbo, I split by and took her cigarette.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

darknrgy posted:

ok that is hilarious. Did you actually grab it from her or just knock it out of her hand?

a little of both, it's not like I could actually, or wanted to keep it while riding or anything.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Just picked up my new-to-me 2001 Triumph Bonneville today. Man, I have learned a lot of things today:

- The Bonneville apparently has ON-OFF-LIGHTS settings, so when I thought I turned it off the head and tail lights were glowing dimly all day.

- Connected to the above, I recalled that it's way easier to push-start in 2d than in 1st. I figured this out after becoming coated in sweat and pushing a 400lb bike up a moderate hill multiple times.

- I learned that Bonnevilles like to have some choke on starting, even if the weather is temperate. Knowing this, I should've thought to apply the choke before pushing the Bonnie down a steep hill, getting to the bottom, and realising that "almost started" would probably have been "actually started" if I'd used the choke.

- Since I was at the bottom of a very steep hill, with the only other way to go being a major highway, I learned how to take the seat off to access the battery, and how to jump a bike using a car. Thankfully, since I read up, I didn't have to learn any hard lessons about don't actually start the car, just let the juice flow from the turned-off car.

Yeah, several hours of frustration this evening, but once I got it going again and cruised from Arlington up and down the National Mall in DC past all the monuments lit up at midnight, I was feeling pretty good.

Requesting photos for the pics thread.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Motorcycle roadside assistance. Who do you use? How much does it cost? What does it cover?

I'm getting the wanderlust again and think I'd rather not get stuck in wyoming or west Texas without anyone to call. Currently looking at AMA, and AAA Plus.

EDIT:I'm not sure if USAA covers bikes on their roadside assistance plan but I'm going to look into that too.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 18, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

On this note if I already have AAA for my car and stuff, does that also work for the motorcycle or is that separate coverage?

I think you need at least AAA Plus to get motorcycle coverage.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

I have roadside assistance from Riders of Kawasaki. It's $40/year, and the tows are 100 miles, no charge. I've used them several times and they are pretty drat good. You don't even need a Kawasaki motorcycle to sign up.

Also, you get into the members-only Kawi tent the big bike shows, where they have free coffee, bottled water and cookies.

Their website says up to $250 of towning coverage, is that per incident or yearly total? How far can that get you? and if per incident how many incidents are allowed? (I should probably just call)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Last night I realized that I wanted to do the 1500miles in 36hour iron butt challenge, and that Brooklyn was almost exactly 1500 miles from my apartment. Do I get extra points if I listen to no sleep till Brooklyn on loop the entire trip?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Depends on if your sanity is intact when you arrive.

Where would the fun be in that?

EDIT: The best part of touring is the mental process that goes on when you wake up and sudden realization that you're a thousand miles from home, and the follow up what the hell are you doing here moment, then you get up and find a twisty road.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 28, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

carburetors are cool

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

that'd make such a cool tshirt

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

Saw my first one a couple days ago. I guess it's just like the Piaggo MP3 or a Harley/Goldwing trike in that you will see a whole bunch of bikes go by followed lastly by the lame duck riding one of these. Often the rider is obese.

Ha, I thought I was the only one to notice this. I saw a pair of folks riding one doing burnouts at every light with no gear. I think I'll stick to two wheels.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

apparently he also had to sell the 'ol F40 and Benz as well. Bummer, man.

Definition of a bad day.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

No one but aprilia makes one, in the form of the RS50, or RS250. Both could be mistaken for generic sportbikes from a distance.

In all honesty it was most likely a sportbike of some sort with a 2-stroke motor swapped in. More than a couple of guys have stuffed RD350 motors into Ninja 250's. I've also seen an RG-500 motor in a modern GSXR.

RS125 too, AF1 street legalizes them too, and all the ones that came over were bright red too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

There's something magical about the smell of a freshly cleaned chain. Probably all the chemicals. Smells like freedom.