Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
:siren::siren: 3DS/DSi/DSiXL owners be aware that updating the system firmware may block flashcarts. :siren::siren:

THIS POST HAS INFORMATION ABOUT EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW, READ THROUGH ALL OF IT BEFORE POSTING!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Nintendo DS Homebrew Megathread. This thread covers the discussion on homebrew software and hardware. There is a separate General Discussion Thread for discussion of regular (commercial) (3)DS software and hardware.

What is Nintendo DS homebrew?
DS Homebrew is running homemade software on your Nintendo DS. Hobbyist-made games, media players, emulators, a full-blown organizer - there's so much variety in what can be done (and has been done) with the DS. You can also run backups of your DS games.

What do I need to get started?
You're going to need a "flashcart" and a microSD card. Flashcarts look like regular DS carts, only with a slot for inserting microSD cards. You'll also be needing a computer and a microSD card reader, and some patience while waiting for your gear to arrive by snail mail.

How do these flashcarts work then?
Flashcarts read data off of a microSD. You use a card reader in your PC to transfer applications and other files to the microSD, then put it back into the flashcart and run the stuff on your DS from an easy-to-use menu. Not that difficult, huh?

Which flashcart do I buy?
There are many carts out on the market, but most of them are horrible and/or bad clones of other horrible carts. Compatibility and stability is important, so you should pick one of the below goon-approved products. They will work on every kind of DS released so far, including the 3DS. You should however be careful about updating your DSi/3DS's firmware before checking this thread in case the new update blocks flashcarts.
  • SuperCard DSTWO (~$40) - has the best compatibility with commercial DS software, gets 0-day updates from the manufacturer if new games don't work, has a built-in CPU that can be used for GBA emulation and video playback, and offers other popular features like real-time saving. Probably the best cart out there.
  • Acekard 2i (~$20) - cheap, and the community-driven AKAIO custom menu comes out with updates fixing new games in a timely manner. Acekard is no longer keeping up with Nintendo's firmware updates, just put down the little extra cash for a DSTWO already. It is objectively the better product anyway.

What kind of memory card do I buy?
Brand doesn't really matter at all, but many prefer Kingston. What size you need obviously depends on how much you're planning to stuff in there. microSDHC goes up to 32GB. Homebrew doesn't take up much space, so a small card should work for just that. If you're going to playback music and backup your games, it'll require a bit more. Game sizes vary, but most people should be able to store their whole collection on an 8GB card. Don't buy microSD cards bundled with flashcarts, it's usually a lot cheaper to order them seperately from somewhere else, like Amazon or Newegg.

Where do I purchase flashcarts?
  • Real Hot Stuff is located in the US, fast shipping and universally praised.
  • Real Hot Stuff Hong Kong is RHS's Hong Kong branch. I think they've got better prices on international shipping than the US-based store, but it's taken on average one to three weeks for my packages to arrive.

I just got a DSTWO in the mail and loaded the firmware files onto the thing, why isn't it working in my 3DS?
Nintendo's working hard to block flashcarts with every new system update they release, and your DSTWO might not have been upgraded to work on the latest version prior to shipping.

First, make sure you've downloaded the latest firmware and EOS. If you've got access to an older DS model or a 3DS that hasn't been updated recently, just follow the upgrade instructions as written on the site and you'll be good to go.

If an updated 3DS is all you've got to work with, it's still possible to upgrade the DSTWO, but you run the risk of bricking the flashcart if not doing it correctly. Carefully follow these instructions, and be sure to wait for AT LEAST 3 minutes before turning the console off again.

How do I emulate GBA games on my DSTWO?
Download the DSTWO GBA plugin and extract it to your microSD card. Copy games into the /NDSGBA/gamepak/ folder, and then run the emulator from the DSTWO main menu.

Can I run GBA games natively on a DS/DS Lite instead of emulating them?
Yes, you can if you buy an extra $20 piece of hardware: EZFlash 3-in-1. DSTWO owners can download the homebrew app GBA ExpLoader and launch .gba files through that. The save is transferred back to your microSD card the next time you launch ExpLoader. Note that if some other application uses your 3-in-1 in the meantime the save will be lost, so be careful. Acekard 2i has native support for the 3in1, so you just launch the .gba executable from the menu like any other DS software, and the game is transferred over to the 3-in-1. The next time you boot the flashcart it'll transfer your save data back to store on the microSD card.

Keito fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
HOMEBREW RELEASE NEWS
Not a lot going on anymore, so this post won't get many updates.

FlashBack DS 1.1 (2011-10-09)

This is a port of the 1992 classic Flashback based on the REminiscence engine, and requires you to supply original DOS/Amiga data files to play. The readme file is in English, so check it for detailed instructions.
http://www.portabledev.com/pages/ds/jeuxdev.-perso/flashback.php

DSx86 0.39 Beta and DS2x86 0.23 Beta

PC emulator that runs lots of DOS software and games, including Windows 3.00a in real mode. DSx86 is now able to take advantage of the extra hardware power in the DSi on flashcarts enabling access to it, and there's another version called DS2x86 that's basically built from scratch for the SuperCard DSTWO. A compatibility list is available.
http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/

Keito fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 15, 2011

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
The homebrew software list was a mess of broken links and has been taken down for the time being.

Keito fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 9, 2011

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Hey, I'm glad to see things are still rolling; I was startled when the other thread closed with little to no warning.

One thing that may be helpful to include would be instructions to run the new Mother 3 ROM+translation. I know it was discussed fairly thoroughly in the old thread, but I wouldn't be surprised to still see questions on how exactly to work the 3-in-1 to save correctly for the next couple of weeks. Throwing that in a post (not even necessarily the OP) might take care of these for a couple of pages.

Just a thought. Again, glad to see the thread up and running!

cakeslob
Jul 10, 2007

:twisted:I'M PEGGY HILL:twisted::wtc::q::mmhmm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vKX2saQHzA&eurl=http://gbatemp.net/
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=111232

Custom fw homebrew
looks pretty sick
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=111463

and this, from my understanding, is some sort of unified game engine or maker or something between ds, gba , psp, ps2, wii/ngc, and pc

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Ratatozsk posted:

Hey, I'm glad to see things are still rolling; I was startled when the other thread closed with little to no warning.

One thing that may be helpful to include would be instructions to run the new Mother 3 ROM+translation. I know it was discussed fairly thoroughly in the old thread, but I wouldn't be surprised to still see questions on how exactly to work the 3-in-1 to save correctly for the next couple of weeks. Throwing that in a post (not even necessarily the OP) might take care of these for a couple of pages.

Just a thought. Again, glad to see the thread up and running!

Here's how I am doing it after much difficulty. It's not necessarily the only way, but it does work for me. First I got the rom, then translation patched it, then used GBATA to SRAM patch it so the exploader can recognize the saves. (If you are applying both patches, apply them in this order). I am using Exploader 0.56 and it works well. The newest version, 0.57, does not work for me at all.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

cakeslob posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vKX2saQHzA&eurl=http://gbatemp.net/
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=111232

Custom fw homebrew
looks pretty sick
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=111463

and this, from my understanding, is some sort of unified game engine or maker or something between ds, gba , psp, ps2, wii/ngc, and pc
That looks drat good. Hope it runs on an R4.
Kinda reminds me of the PS2's front end, with the swirly blue in the backround. It definitely looks FAR better than the default R4 menu and backround.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
:siren: AWESOME HOMEBREW UPDATE :siren:

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you:

COMMANDER KEEN 1-3 FOR THE DS

Alexmaul, everyone's favorite loving amazing DS homebrew coder, has adapted the open source Commander Keen 1-3 interpreter CloneKeen for the DS!

DOWNLOAD IT HERE

Sound sucks a little bit, and sometimes the sprites blink, but I've tried all three games and they play very well.

You must provide the original game files (and the filenames must be in all caps, blah). These can be obtained from Steam for $5, and are worth the purchase. Regardless, COMMANDER KEEN FOR THE DS!!!

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 24, 2008

Weedle
May 31, 2006

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

You must provide the original game files (and the filenames must be in all caps, blah). I guess they're abandonware but since id still sells them they can be a bit hard to find online. But, who cares, COMMANDER KEEN FOR THE DS!!!

You can get the whole series for $5 on Steam, and just copy the data files over from the steamapps directory.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/9180/

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, I have been trying to hunt down a decent portable copy of Commander Keen for well over half of my goddamn life, and i am slapped in the face with it long after I had given up hope. This is an excellent day.

I've been under a goddamn rock, Jesus.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Oh my God, Commander Keen and a Mario Paint music game... Wow.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Grilldos posted:

Holy poo poo, I have been trying to hunt down a decent portable copy of Commander Keen for well over half of my goddamn life, and i am slapped in the face with it long after I had given up hope. This is an excellent day.

I've been under a goddamn rock, Jesus.

Don't feel bad, the port was released earlier this week.

Vehementer
Sep 24, 2006

All Singing All Dancing!

Keito posted:

Reserved for software list.

It might be deadish when it comes to news but.. isn't Dev-Scene worth placing in the links?

Vehementer fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 24, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I personally love http://nintendo-ds.dcemu.co.uk/ for DS homebrew news.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I guess they're abandonware but since id still sells them

umm. It's not really abandonware at all if id still sells them, that kind of goes against what abandonware is. I know it's kind of been addressed already, but it bothers me when people just blindly label anything that's old as abandonware.

Please don't ask where to download the files or guide people into finding them, instead buy it for just $5 on steam. They're worth it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Jimbozig posted:

Here's how I am doing it after much difficulty. It's not necessarily the only way, but it does work for me. First I got the rom, then translation patched it, then used GBATA to SRAM patch it so the exploader can recognize the saves. (If you are applying both patches, apply them in this order). I am using Exploader 0.56 and it works well. The newest version, 0.57, does not work for me at all.

None of these miracle cures worked for me or two other dudes I know that bought a 3-in-1 for Mother 3. We concluded the batteries were dead because it was a problem with every game we tried, not just Mother 3, regardless of SRAM patches or fancy tricks. We all sent them back for replacements. :|

edit: All purchased from Real Hot Stuff. Apparently they're old hardware versions, which may be the reason for the DOA batteries. Someone said Dealextreme is supposed to be shipping the new batch, but I can't verify that.

As for Commander Keen, I bought the games on Steam long ago, but now I'm actually playing them again. I've missed this guy. :) The only problem is the walking sound. Holy poo poo, that is annoying beyond belief. Did I actually put up with this as a kid? I usually play with sound off anyway, or headphones, but... it just wouldn't be Commander Keen without sound.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 24, 2008

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Bummey posted:

None of these miracle cures worked for me or two other dudes I know that bought a 3-in-1 for Mother 3. We concluded the batteries were dead because it was a problem with every game we tried, not just Mother 3, regardless of SRAM patches or fancy tricks. We all sent them back for replacements. :|

I ordered a 3-in-1 last week and am dreading having to send it back due to a dead battery. Does anyone know what kind of battery it needs, or if it's easy to access/change?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
It's a pity Crackbone just suddenly closed the previous thread, because then it's impossible to quote any posts over there, thus requiring me to manually copy and link everything in the software post. Any suggestions on new apps/games to add to it? I'm putting NDS_TGM there for sure, hopefully Svampn won't be against using his link for the download.

Ratatozsk posted:

Alright, added in a step-by-step guide from the previous thread which worked when I tried. It seems like some people have problems even then, and a lot of 3-in-1s are defective, so additional info may be needed.

Vehementer posted:

It might be deadish when it comes to news but.. isn't Dev-Scene worth placing in the links?
They do seem dead, but ok.

Keito fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 24, 2008

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Bummey posted:

edit: All purchased from Real Hot Stuff. Apparently they're old hardware versions, which may be the reason for the DOA batteries. Someone said Dealextreme is supposed to be shipping the new batch, but I can't verify that.
Well hey, if the batteries are dead then nothing short of replacement is going to help. But I can verify that my 3-in-1 that I got just a week ago is from Dealextreme and the battery is fine.

Also, Keito, the instructions you have for Mother 3 do not include SRAM patching. If you are not planning on using any other games in the NOR memory until you are done with mother 3, those instructions should work perfectly. If you want to run something else from the NOR, you MAY run into problems trying to back up the save. I know that, for me, initially the Exploader would not find a save file despite there being one and that problem went away when I SRAM patched it with GBATA.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 24, 2008

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Bummey posted:

As for Commander Keen, I bought the games on Steam long ago, but now I'm actually playing them again. I've missed this guy. :) The only problem is the walking sound. Holy poo poo, that is annoying beyond belief. Did I actually put up with this as a kid? I usually play with sound off anyway, or headphones, but... it just wouldn't be Commander Keen without sound.

The walking sound is a lot worse in this port. Believe me, it is quite a bit more annoying than it was the first time you played them due to it being a rough, V1.0 release.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

umm. It's not really abandonware at all if id still sells them, that kind of goes against what abandonware is. I know it's kind of been addressed already, but it bothers me when people just blindly label anything that's old as abandonware.

Please don't ask where to download the files or guide people into finding them, instead buy it for just $5 on steam. They're worth it.

Honestly, when I first downloaded the port, I had copies of the first three games just lying around in some old folder full of abandonware and other old games. A quick google showed me that none of the regular abandonware sites had them up, but I figured it was because id had released some compilation years ago. I had no idea that they were for sale on Steam. I've updated the post to correct this. Sorry.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bummey posted:

(snip)

Did you try the method I posted?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

air- posted:

Did you try the method I posted?

Yeah it didn't work, but no worries. I don't want to poo poo up this thread with complaining. I waited how many years for Mother 3? I can wait another couple weeks.

VV Yes, a lite-sized 3-in-1. No idea if that affects it in any way.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 24, 2008

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Am I correct in assuming those of you having trouble with Mother 3 are using the lite-sized 3-in-1? I have a GBA-sized one from the first batch (still using my old DS Phat, never had the money or need for a lite) and I've had no issues whatsoever. Exploader 0.57 should be auto-patching the game as it transfers to the 3-in-1, so you shouldn't have to pre-patch it with GBATA or the EZ4 patcher. (I'm not sure what version added that, but I know it's in the latest.)

Maybe it's only an issue with the lite-sized ones? (Especially because there's about half the physical space inside the thing.)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bummey posted:

Yeah it didn't work, but no worries. I don't want to poo poo up this thread with complaining. I waited how many years for Mother 3? I can wait another couple weeks.

Right on. I'd get my 3in1 replaced if I wasn't on the road for work over the next few weeks, gotta have something to do in the downtime. You got yours from real hot stuff, right? Please post how your experience with exchanging it goes.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

air- posted:

Right on. I'd get my 3in1 replaced if I wasn't on the road for work over the next few weeks, gotta have something to do in the downtime. You got yours from real hot stuff, right? Please post how your experience with exchanging it goes.

VERY fast response from support. Like, less than an hour from the time I submitted my ticket and with each additional update. The first ticket response was a link to a GBA Temp article and a note "Have you tried this tool?", which kind of bummed me because I detailed the things that went wrong, what I tried and why I concluded that it had to be a dead battery. But after I restated my case, they were very quick and helpful without a single canned response.

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I find a support team that actually personally replies to customers, I'm impressed. I hate canned responses and automated crap.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 24, 2008

cakeslob
Jul 10, 2007

:twisted:I'M PEGGY HILL:twisted::wtc::q::mmhmm:

Keito posted:

It's a pity Crackbone just suddenly closed the previous thread, because then it's impossible to quote any posts over there, thus requiring me to manually copy and link everything in the software post. Any suggestions on new apps/games to add to it? I'm putting NDS_TGM there for sure, hopefully Svampn won't be against using his link for the download.

Alright, added in a step-by-step guide from the previous thread which worked when I tried. It seems like some people have problems even then, and a lot of 3-in-1s are defective, so additional info may be needed.

They do seem dead, but ok.

steal it from gba temp
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=70463

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this question is entirely out of place. I can't find any discussion on GBA flash carts. I've got an original GBA and I'd like to be able to play mother 3 in english on it. What cartridge would be the most affordable choice if that was all I was interested in?

07 Users Suck
Jul 21, 2007
They ought to stop letting people register.

illin like quetzalcoatl posted:

Sorry if this question is entirely out of place. I can't find any discussion on GBA flash carts. I've got an original GBA and I'd like to be able to play mother 3 in english on it. What cartridge would be the most affordable choice if that was all I was interested in?

I'd say this one.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10447

It's a bit more expensive but I used it years ago. It works pretty great.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Keito posted:

Sorry, but I'd asked about 4 times for somebody to take over maintaining the OP, posting new updates, etc. This was the only way I could get anybody to do it. Props on a nice OP though.

I'll reopen the old one for a couple of days if you want to quote the old stuff.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Crackbone posted:

Sorry, but I'd asked about 4 times for somebody to take over maintaining the OP, posting new updates, etc. This was the only way I could get anybody to do it. Props on a nice OP though.

I'll reopen the old one for a couple of days if you want to quote the old stuff.

Now that you've said it, I do remember you asking for someone to take over several times. The OP is based on the structure you had in the previous thread, I wouldn't have known where to begin without that. Thanks for reopening, the applications post is now copied over, so feel free to close it again whenever you want to.

Ravestory
Jan 28, 2008
Huzzah!
A few days ago DSOrganize crashed on me and every time I'd load it I'd get a red screen with a guru meditation error.

So I just recopied the program to my Cyclo, but it still refuses to run and gives the same error. Any ideas on this?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Ravestory posted:

A few days ago DSOrganize crashed on me and every time I'd load it I'd get a red screen with a guru meditation error.

So I just recopied the program to my Cyclo, but it still refuses to run and gives the same error. Any ideas on this?

Make sure when you're purging the card of the old DSOrganize that you get all the files that might be hiding in weird little directories and install from scratch. Copy any older todo files or calendar items elsewhere and try booting up without them. If you get in, add them back in bit by bit and hopefully that'll help narrow down where the error's coming from.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT
The zip at the linked site for PicrossDS is corrupt. Might want to change it to the author's site instead.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

How do I update the cheat database on my CycloDS? Do I have to manually update it by entering all the codes in or is there something I can download and stick onto my card to update it?

alted2
May 3, 2003

tvgm2 posted:

I ordered a 3-in-1 last week and am dreading having to send it back due to a dead battery. Does anyone know what kind of battery it needs, or if it's easy to access/change?

I have an old lite sized 3-in-1 cart and have replaced the battery. The battery was a CR1220 and was soldered to metal clips connected to the circuit board. I was able to pull the metal clips from the battery using pliers and was able to simply tape the replacement battery to the metal clips. My 3-in-1 cart works fine with Mother 3 now.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Kly posted:

How do I update the cheat database on my CycloDS? Do I have to manually update it by entering all the codes in or is there something I can download and stick onto my card to update it?

cheats.gbatemp.net

Download the user.evoCHEATS.zip file, unzip it, and stick that in the CycloDS (I think, it's basically the main Cyclo folder) folder on your MicroSD card. They're really good about updating it, and it has codes for tons of games. :)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

What's the current state of emulation for the DS?

The links to nesDS is 404.

How is SNEmul?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Chinaski posted:

How is SNEmul?
Barely functional. :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I haven't used it in a while but SNEmuL is okay for some games-like Mario World-but really annoying for others. Or it doesn't work at all.

Constantly changing the settings and maybe having bad/no music and having the text all scrambled does not a fun emulator make.

However the Genesis emulator Jenesis is pretty good if you're dying to play 16 bit era games.

• Locked thread