Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Note also that there's almost no 3DS homebrew, and 3DS-native flashcards present pretty much just a fake 3DS environment, and thus aren't good for much except :yarr::filez::yarr:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Note also that there's almost no 3DS homebrew, and 3DS-native flashcards present pretty much just a fake 3DS environment, and thus aren't good for much except :yarr::filez::yarr:.

Aren't they still basically running in DS/DSi mode? Or was that finally cracked?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I'm not sure anything runs in DSi mode. The Supercard DSTWO is still a DS-native flash card; it just has a supplemental processor that handles a bunch of stuff (including actual GBA emulation, if you want it).

This is also why decent SFC/Megadrive emulation on the Supercard is nearly impossible, by the way: it doesn't matter how much power you've got to throw at the thing when the screen is still smaller than the native resolution of the console you're emulating.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Regarding the 3DS Gateway:

- So, assume my 3DS is firmware 4.1, should I just leave it at that? Update to 4.5?
- Is there any use for EmuNAND as long as it can't do 8.x?
- If I run a newish rom, do I risk accidentally updating the firmware?
- It'll properly save these days, without any tricks?
- I read a few guides, telling me to use Win32DiskImager. Is this a thing of the past too? Can I just move roms to a micro-SD cart and play them that way?

Ota_Himuro
Jan 13, 2008

A wild SANDBREAD appears!
Didn't Gateway lose all support and any and all community trust and goodwill after doing that update which bricked your console if you (even unknowingly) had a clone card? I hope it did, it would make a very bad example if they were still around after pulling that poo poo.

(Disclaimer: I'm not just bitter due to having fallen victim to that trick, I've already had my 3DS on the wrong firmware by the time they released their cars)

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
If I plan on getting a DS and a DSTwo card, mainly for NES/SNES emulation, is it worth getting the DSi XL for the larger screen, or is getting a DSLite an entirely fine option?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Circle Nine posted:

If I plan on getting a DS and a DSTwo card, mainly for NES/SNES emulation, is it worth getting the DSi XL for the larger screen, or is getting a DSLite an entirely fine option?

You won't have a good time with SNES emulation on either (it's slow AND the screen res makes for annoying resolution crop or squishing). NES stuff is also kinda annoying to deal with because of the low res.

However either one would work great for Game Boy, Atari 2600, Game Gear, Lynx etc emulation. And if you get a DS Lite, you can buy an EZ Flash V 3-in-1 sized for the GBA slot that'lll let you run GBA games natively as well as be usable as extra RAM for homebrew like the Quake and Quake 2 ports.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Nintendo Kid posted:

You won't have a good time with SNES emulation on either (it's slow AND the screen res makes for annoying resolution crop or squishing). NES stuff is also kinda annoying to deal with because of the low res.

However either one would work great for Game Boy, Atari 2600, Game Gear, Lynx etc emulation. And if you get a DS Lite, you can buy an EZ Flash V 3-in-1 sized for the GBA slot that'lll let you run GBA games natively as well as be usable as extra RAM for homebrew like the Quake and Quake 2 ports.

Only partially correct. The DSTwo has an on-cart coprocessor that does GBA emulation and a MUCH better job of SNES emulation than other flash carts.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

G-Prime posted:

Only partially correct. The DSTwo has an on-cart coprocessor that does GBA emulation and a MUCH better job of SNES emulation than other flash carts.

The GBA emulation is still poo poo in comparison to the regular GBA support of the Lite (I shouldn't get slowdown playing Chu Chu Rocket and Advance Wars of all things!), and the SNES emulation is still awful. Believe me I've tried it, I've had a DSTWO since they were brand new and have even kept up with the emulator plugin updates.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I am still super duper happy with my cheap old R4DS. It lets you do NES/GBx/Genesis emulation drat near perfectly. Since the fatty DS gets drat near infinite battery life I find myself playing turned based RPGs and just closing the lid for weeks at a time in between sessions. For $10 or however much they are it's a stupid good deal.

(GBx not including GBA obviously)

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 6, 2014

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Is the 3DS firmware okay to update to whatever the latest version is despite the fact that the DSTwo's firmware hasn't been updated since what looks like late last year? I'm running 7.2.0-17U on the 3DS, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on some newer version that I can't find anywhere before I let it update. Sorry if this is a pretty newbie-ish question, but like I said, I can't find anything regarding a newer firmware for the DSTwo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Obeast posted:

Is the 3DS firmware okay to update to whatever the latest version is despite the fact that the DSTwo's firmware hasn't been updated since what looks like late last year? I'm running 7.2.0-17U on the 3DS, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on some newer version that I can't find anywhere before I let it update. Sorry if this is a pretty newbie-ish question, but like I said, I can't find anything regarding a newer firmware for the DSTwo.

I don't know where you're seeing that DSTwo hasn't been keeping their stuff up to date, but the easiest way to find out is to go to DSTwo's site and just see what their latest firmware covers, then compare it to what the latest 3DS firmware is with Nintendo here. And it looks like you're all set to update, provided you're on the latest DSTwo firmware.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

I don't know where you're seeing that DSTwo hasn't been keeping their stuff up to date, but the easiest way to find out is to go to DSTwo's site and just see what their latest firmware covers, then compare it to what the latest 3DS firmware is with Nintendo here. And it looks like you're all set to update, provided you're on the latest DSTwo firmware.
I think I checked DSTwo's site before my last post, and didn't see it since it was late and I had to get up for an early shift at work this morning (fun fact: early shifts loving suck when you tend to stay up late :downs:). I just checked the link in your post and just saw the download link for the firmware update. I need to see what firmware I'm running on my DSTwo, but thank you for the link! :)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just bought a 2ds. I logged in and updated the firmware to the latest, etc. Then I remembered my broken ds lite has a flash cart in it. I'm at work now so I haven't tried, and I don't want to brick anything: can I just stick the flash cart in? I *think* it's some kind of R4 or something which had a bad rap for being lovely. I previously had a ds lite with an evolution ? flash cart in it which everyone said was the best, but that one was stolen :)

edit: VVVV so will the r4 work with my 2ds? do I need to update it somehow? I remember with the evo ds card I needed to download a zip file and put it into a directory on my sd card, if I wanted to update it. My broken ds lite is broken in such a way that it randomly turns off with no warning so if I have to flash it using the ds lite I will, but if it can be avoided I will avoid doing it with the ds lite. Do I need to flash the r4? If so, what's the website for it? (sorry I am asking such noob questions)

redreader fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 5, 2014

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
For the record my R4DS (for my NDS fatty) for $8 was one of the best deals I've ever made. Sure it won't take bigger than 2gb sd cards (or at the time it didn't) but that's still a crapton of games for the money, and you can easily have more than 1 sd card.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The current favorite is DSTwo. Most of the original ones used a common component that Nintendo found how to detect and broke compatibility for a lot of them.

On a related note, there's a flash cart called Sky 3DS that will allow for 10 3DS games to be pirated on latest firmware, but only 10. Afterwards you have to buy another card because they programmed it that way.

The Dev Menu hack seems to have also allowed for DLC to be pirated and people are making undubs of games like SMT IV now.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Dehry posted:

The Dev Menu hack seems to have also allowed for DLC to be pirated and people are making undubs of games like SMT IV now.

Oh ugggggh. I was hoping we were past those days.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Oh ugggggh. I was hoping we were past those days.

Hey if people are able to do that, it'll also mean we're getting close to creating real homebrew stuff again, even if it has to be accessed through the shell of a game or something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Things I found out today: undubbing means exactly what it sounds like and that it has a Wikipedia page.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hey if people are able to do that, it'll also mean we're getting close to creating real homebrew stuff again, even if it has to be accessed through the shell of a game or something.

I'd be pretty stoked if I could get some real SNES emulation going natively on the 3DS.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

big mean giraffe posted:

I'd be pretty stoked if I could get some real SNES emulation going natively on the 3DS.

That's pretty well on the way already, actually. Check out blargSNES.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

OK, a weird question, but I got this preowned copy of Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia yesterday. As an European version it has multilanguage support, but the developers implemented it in a very dumb way: soon as you make your first save it sticks with that language permanently and the previous owner put it on Spanish, which is just urgh. There is no way to erase the game to its original format from itself, so now I'm wondering what we got homebrew-wise that can restore a commercial cart to its original state. It's a long shot but I can't imagine anything else. Searching for Action Replay/Gameshark codes that would something like that lead to nothing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Saoshyant posted:

OK, a weird question, but I got this preowned copy of Pokemon Ranger Shadows of Almia yesterday. As an European version it has multilanguage support, but the developers implemented it in a very dumb way: soon as you make your first save it sticks with that language permanently and the previous owner put it on Spanish, which is just urgh. There is no way to erase the game to its original format from itself, so now I'm wondering what we got homebrew-wise that can restore a commercial cart to its original state. It's a long shot but I can't imagine anything else. Searching for Action Replay/Gameshark codes that would something like that lead to nothing.

Try this? http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?7197-Pokemon-Ranger-Shadows-of-Almia-Language-region-editing-help

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Use something like savegame-manager or backup tool to write a null save file to the cart, and it should reinitialize.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

redreader posted:

edit: VVVV so will the r4 work with my 2ds? do I need to update it somehow? I remember with the evo ds card I needed to download a zip file and put it into a directory on my sd card, if I wanted to update it. My broken ds lite is broken in such a way that it randomly turns off with no warning so if I have to flash it using the ds lite I will, but if it can be avoided I will avoid doing it with the ds lite. Do I need to flash the r4? If so, what's the website for it? (sorry I am asking such noob questions)
Unless there's a brand new version of one and you have it, the R4s won't work with the 2DS/3DS. AFAIK, the DSTWO is the one to get if you plan on buying a new flashcart to use on your 2DS. Just make sure that before you update your 2DS's firmware that there is a new version of the DSTWO firmware and you upgrade that before the 2DS firmware since new firmware updates might = flashcart killers (although the previous update that added menu themes to the 2/3DS menu didn't for some reason, but I dunno about the newest one that my 3DS keeps bugging me about). You could probably update it on the Lite in case you forgot, but I wouldn't risk it if it has a problem with shutting off randomly. The DSTWO firmware updates don't take long to install, but it's still better to be safe than sorry.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Use something like savegame-manager or backup tool to write a null save file to the cart, and it should reinitialize.

Savegame Manager did the trick, thanks so much. Just had to find my old DSTT and DSLite to get it done.

Impatiens
Feb 3, 2012
I'm contemplating getting a second DS flashcart to use in conjunction with the EZ-Flash 3-in-1 for a few specific purposes (DSLinux, backing up/restoring DS cart saves). I already have a DSTwo, but it's a pain in the rear end to use with my DS Lite, since its slot 1 is tight enough that I usually can't get the DSTwo back out without prying it out with a knife. That, and a second flashcart would be useful for multiplayer games.

I've narrowed it down to the original R4 and the Acekard 2.1. Upgradeable firmware doesn't matter, since I don't intend to use this with my 3DS. I don't think I would have much problem with the R4 only taking a 2 GB card, but I would have to buy one, so it would end up costing about the same as an Acekard 2.1 that can take my spare SDHC card. I'm considering the Acekard 2.1, since I've had prior experience with the 2i, and it seems to be pretty much the same thing minus upgradeable firmware.

The main deciding factor is: which one is a better card to actually use? Namely, which one has fewer contact issues, and which one has the better UI?

e: As far as compatibility goes, I'm not concerned with anything newer than Pokemon Black 2/White 2, and it seems like both carts can play those.

Impatiens fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 12, 2014

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I have an acekard and I like it quite a bit. It pops in and out like a regular game. I use it with the 3-in-1, but I haven't done linux or backup saves. I can't speak to the other carts as I haven't owned them.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I use a acekard 2.1 and a ez-flash 3-in-1 and it works great. I can make my own backups of DS and GBA games using my ds lite, and erase the save area as well.
This combo can also play ds/gba games without emulation, very cool.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I've had an R4DS for years and it's one of the best purchases I ever made. The thing is dirt cheap, plays DS games great, and does pretty drat solid NES/GB/Genesis emulation and like I said it's cheap as dirt. The 2gb sd card limit doesn't bother me either because that's still at on of games/roms and you can always just carry another sd card with you.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from 3DS thread:

http://www.gateway-3ds.com/support-for-firmware-9-0-9-2-coming/

Gateway 3DS will support 9.0-9.2 firmware soon. Do not update beyond those firmwares.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That's still just to run homebrew/ds games on it though right?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's for 3DS piracy.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
3DS Homebrew is still in its infancy so it is pretty much just for piracy.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gateway 3DS is for running roms on 3DS. The point is, they have an exploit at 9.2, which will most likely be used by homebrew developers once they reverse engineer it. The thing also breaks region locking.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Flagrama posted:

3DS Homebrew is still in its infancy so it is pretty much just for piracy.

So the same thing as ds flashcarts? There hasn't been homebrew posted in this thread in literal years. And the OP is almost devoid of anything homebrew related.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

So the same thing as ds flashcarts? There hasn't been homebrew posted in this thread in literal years. And the OP is almost devoid of anything homebrew related.

Yup, pretty much.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
There's also the convenience factor, you can fit a lot of games on a SD card which means no swapping carts and potentially losing them. They're amazing for kids. While I'm sure 90% of the people using these things for piracy, I like to think some use them for actual game backups (or both?).

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, all homebrew is about is piracy, piracy of older games through homebrew emulators, maybe some silly Pong/Tetris clone, and DOOM.

Sure, a hacker might make a fun game for it, but that's not what sells people on all the devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Eh, this time one can't even use the "it's more convenient to carry all my games in one card" excuse as the DS era, since you can buy the drat games digitally, retail, eShop-exclusive, or virtual console.

• Locked thread