Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

melee beats posted:

I'm on the OP's side regarding the shipping for now. But without a tracking number, I don't have full confidence

Edit: 20 mail days (6 days a week here) or 20 days?

Generally 2-3 weeks, 6 business shipping days. If he's not responding and did not send a tracking number, I would be concerned. It's a bit sketchy to sell a high end item through the internet and not be concerned with it's whereabouts, if you're not intending on scamming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

melee beats posted:

Well the paypal email address is tied to a university out there, so I wonder if someone would actually scam from an address like that

Some people aren't all that smart, even if they're in a university :-). The good thing is that, if he did scam you, it will be even easier to involve the police.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

melee beats posted:

I'm going to initiate a chargeback and if it comes, I'll repay I think.

If you do a chargeback your paypal will get banned, I think. If you try to get the money through paypal, they'll grab whatever he has left in his paypal. If he transferred it out, you wont get anything back. I'm not absolutely certain, but I would just do the chargeback to get all my cash back.

It's a serious crime to scam for 2,000$ though, so I'd say he's going to get hosed in the end.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

melee beats posted:

I've initiated it through Paypal, which says that if the OP doesn't respond by Dec. 5th that it defaults to my favor. My plan is to wait until the 5th, and if they can't recover anything, I'll take the chargeback route with my bank and get my money back. I don't really care if Paypal bans my account.

Yeah, that's the best course to take. It's not worth keeping a paypal account to lose 1000+ or whatever. That goes to say, if he isn't actually dead and didn't try to run off with your money.

If you do the chargeback, they will be after him for their money.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Contacted the police about these matters. Will keep you updated as to what happens. Apparently this is something that can land a person in jail, that I did not know.

Absolutely, I did not know that apparently theft is no big deal if it's under $5,000, but that sounds wrong to me. I'm sure the police will do something, as there is evidence the OP paid for an item, and no evidence that the item was ever shipped out, nor an attempt to contact the buyer.

I had my bank account and a credit card linked to paypal, although for some reason paypal decided to try to use my bank account to make purchases. I ended up going 250 in the negative, and being charged 6$ a day, as well as a 50$ fee for going under over 200$. By the time I found out what the gently caress happened through a mail, I was at around 330$ negative, in a bank account I never even use. I ended up having BoA refund all my overdraft charges, but of course, I got dinged for a random one and that put me in the negative again. Which I didn't get a mail notice for, for about 2 weeks, so I was like 80$ in the negative again. I don't know the limit for what paypal can pull out of a bank account that has no money, but it's at least 200$. :colbert:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

melee beats posted:

I'm working on it - I sent a PM to the person she bought a Wii from (at least I think she did) so I could get her address, but I haven't received a response yet. I've also been hesitant about contacting Montreal police because of the language barrier, but I'm definitely working on it.

I'm positive they'd have at least somebody in the building at all times that will speak English proficiently. Definitely get try to get some action towards the OP. Yes, you're going to get your money back,but you're also out of it for 2-3 months. This is such horse poo poo, and I'm sure the police will be cooperative.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Alpha posted:

Just call the drat police and take her down for a felony. Do not post nudes so she has a counterclaim you asshats.

Yeah, this please. It's pretty fascinating, but don't do anything that could ruin anything. Also, not what I was expecting.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Oh god this just keeps getting better and better. A bit creepy that she has 300+ pictures of some random girl that she passes off as her own little internet persona, including nudes. Although, since that other girl is a SG, I guess it's... less... uh I dunno.

Eagerly awaiting a GBS thread or this whole thing being moved to GBS and ballooning up to like 30+ pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

not a dinosaur posted:

I was scammed for $200 on SA a year or so ago. Won the PayPal dispute and never saw a dime :(

That's why you supply paypal with a credit card, you can do a charge back, and get your money back. Even if the person takes that cash out of their account.