Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Curious that we don't know anything about China's next book at this point. Seems like he's possibly going to miss his annual release for the first time in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

As with Ankh-Morpork and Planescape's Sigil, the London influence seems stronger than it is because Dickensian London is kind of our default way of imagining the Industrial Era cities anyway. But the art-y anarchist underground in Iron Council, particularly that puppet play, makes me think Berlin, and the merchant domination and racially divided underclass fits that city better too. (Come to think of it, I wonder if Ankh-Morpork's double city divided by a river status is inspired by Berlin-Cölln)

I guess the importance of the train station is from London though.

Iron Council is pretty much straight up about Rosa Luxemburg in some ways so yeah, it's very much reminiscent of Berlin in that one.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
With Dial H (unfortunately) wrapping up reasonably soon, I wonder if we'll hear more about his next written project before too much longer.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: http://www.amazon.co.uk/China-Mi%E9ville-Short-Stories-Mieville/dp/0230770185/

There may be a new China Miéville short story collection published next year. Weirdly though, I don't think he's published the many new short stories since Looking For Jake. I can think of only a few recent pieces:

- Covehithe
- The Rope is the World
- a Hellboy short story, name escapes me currently
- a piece in the second Thackery T Lambshead book
- one called Bugs or something that I can't track down, he only read it at an appearance AFAIK
- a few pieces of flash fiction on his blog

So hopefully since Railsea he's been beavering away at various new stories to fill a book :swoon:

Nice find. I'd be sort of surprised to see that, to be honest - most of the time you see a short story collection come out from a well-known author, they're either earlier pieces previously published in assorted magazines (I wouldn't be surprised if Miéville had some short stories from his early career that didn't make it into Looking for Jake, though) or they've otherwise surfaced recently. It's uncommon for short story books to truly contain more than one or two stories' worth of actually hitherto unseen material.

When I last corresponded with him a few years ago, he did mention that he's got some ghost-story stuff that was a few years out, so even if, Dial H aside, there does seem to be something of a Miéville hiatus at the moment (and a short story collection would in some senses prolong that hiatus), he does usually have his next few projects plotted out in a vague sense at the very least.

I sort of suspect that the split in the British SWP has taken a great deal of his attention, though.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Dial H wraps up with its coda "Dial E" piece in six days, and then we'll have no forthcoming Mieville projects known. I wonder if that possible book of short stories will get officially announced anytime soon.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

So what do people think of the Dial H coda issue?

It's okay, a nice little chance for Miéville to squeeze off another few dozen puns. But the different artists on every page, the nobody characters (apart from Centipede), and the confusing plot make it otherwise a disappointing purchase. But then I'm not really sure what this "villains week" mini-series is meant to be. Does this issue relate to any of the other ones (or the Justice League in general)?

Also the issue's title/numbering is a gigantic confusing clusterfuck:

DC Unleashes: Justice League (Villains) #23.3: Dial E #1: Dial Q for Qued

Is Dial E going to be a thing or is that just a joke?

I thought it was okayish but was clearly more of a coda than a real story. And no, if it were getting continued we'd know.

Bummer, though. I was hoping Centipede with his dial would become a recurring DC villain.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
The second and final Dial H digest should be coming out in February, I think, and people who want to see what China's been up to really ought to pick up both of those.

And yeah, Hedrigall, I wouldn't be too terribly surprised to see a little bit of stuff from his Tumblr make it into the book.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Un Lun Dun feels very much to me like, London elements aside, it was written specifically to be adapted to film by Hayao Miyazaki.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

The Supreme Court posted:

That's brilliant! I wasn't expecting to ever see it, given how rare the copies of it were. Congrats on getting your hands on it, and thanks for sharing it with us.

I've been trying to work my way through China Mieville's books as slowly as I can to savour each one, then I totally blew it recently with Embassytown, which I couldn't help devouring in a couple of sittings. It's just so good! Language is wonderful and I loved how integral it felt to the entire story and world: it felt like a sci-fi creation but a wholly imagined world that Mieville had tapped. I think that's my favorite thing about his writing; these worlds he makes like living places despite utterly weird. The plot of Embassytown is significantly more straightforward than the other Mieville books I've read so far, which nice.

I think it'd make an excellent film, if done right: it's so visual, and all the detail of the Hosts, Language and the world largely happens through actions, rather than exposition.

You think so? I feel like Embassytown is, if anything, the most heavily embedded into the written word of all of Miéville's works. It's very deliberately written with a vocabulary that starts off as alienating and gradually becomes less so as you understand the world.

I think Un Lun Dun and Railsea would make great adventure movies, though.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Iron Council's a totally satisfying conclusion to the non-trilogy, though. I kind of *prefer* for everything after that remain empty/pregnant time in order to do justice to the ending.

I wouldn't mind more stuff taking place pre-PSS, I suppose. But it's not as if Embassytown and Railsea aren't equally awesome fertile ground for future storytelling should he choose to return to those settings.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: Contents list, let's go motherfuckeerrrrrrrrrssss!!!!!!! :siren: :neckbeard: :dance: :holy:

“Three Moments of an Explosion”
“Polynia”
“The Condition of New Death”*
“The Dowager of Bees”*
“In the Slopes”*
“The Crawl”*
“Watching God”*
“The 9th Technique”
“The Rope Is the World”
“The Buzzard’s Egg”*
“Säcken”*
“Syllabus”*
“Dreaded Outcome”*
“After the Festival”*
“The Dusty Hat”*
“Escapee”*
“The Bastard Prompt”*
“Rules”*
“Estate”
“Keep”*
“A Second Slice Manifesto”*
“Covehithe”
“The Junket”*
“Four Final Orpheuses”*
“The Rabbet”*
“Listen the Birds”*
“A Mount”*
“The Design”

(* = never before published)

Check out my blog post about it for a little more info about one of the new stories and the absolutely terrible US cover art.

The Crawl and Four Final Orpheuses have definitely already shown up on China's blog. Very possibly a few others too.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
China's getting involved in more political projects again, so I think it's safe to assume that he's going to be a bit less prolific as a writer of fiction for a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
I still think the perfect Miéville film adaptation would be if Hayao Miyazaki came out of retirement to adapt Un Lun Dun.

The young female protagonist, the bizarre supporting cast, the potentially-cute living words and garbage, the scene with an impassive female bureaucrat antagonist, the heavy environmentalist themes, the big flying-vehicle setpiece: it's seriously got everything Miyazaki loves.