Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was going to be a guardian originally

But then someone pointed out that secret cops don't usually specialize in magic that is mostly Vulgar and has a potential of Breaking The Universe

so Arrow it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Ferrinus I really like Mage and I really like you but the reality is that once school starts I can't stay up late, and I know I could join in and leave when I have to but I know myself and I know that if I get involved I'll stay till it's through so I probably won't be playing mage much int he future I'm really sorry! :(

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

what's it like to be a studious teenager

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Gul Banana posted:

mageless, apparently

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Gul Banana posted:

I'm 24 but I'm a Master's student and I need to actually go to my classes

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
i have three more semesters to prove that my undergrad was a fluke and I'm worth having in doctoral programs and Mage is fun but I'd rather do psychological research that undermines the idea of the rugged individualist

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
why not undermine reality by casting vulgar spells!!!

The Curious Case of the Duchess Part 2 completed!

+2 XP. 63 XP total.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

why not undermine reality by casting vulgar spells!!!

The Curious Case of the Duchess Part 2 completed!

+2 XP. 63 XP total.

gently caress yeah, i have enough to buy Mind 4 (i think)

of course ferrinus won't let me get it until we finish the enoch story so you bastards need to start showing up!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
HengeDan you are the biggest pussy ever school is for pussies

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Dickeye posted:

HengeDan you are the biggest pussy ever school is for pussies

at least I'm not helping other people blow up brown people

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Because you're a limp-wristed liberal pussy (please hit me if I ever say this unironically)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
here are a few rough sketches of Case imm (in my mind)

Branigan
Jan 1, 2008

by DocEvil

Ferrinus posted:

i hate this dude

also ferrinus if i wanted to buy some ranks in the time arcanum would i have to wait until after we finish the current thing with enoch? i have both ic and ooc reasons for wanting to do so

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well that was educational

I learned that I know nothing and also that you should never fight Jude hand to hand YOU WILL LOSE

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Branigan posted:

i hate this dude

also ferrinus if i wanted to buy some ranks in the time arcanum would i have to wait until after we finish the current thing with enoch? i have both ic and ooc reasons for wanting to do so

you can probably learn the first rank in a couple days if you worked at it

Branigan
Jan 1, 2008

by DocEvil

Ferrinus posted:

you can probably learn the first rank in a couple days if you worked at it

cool

also i figured out why all my rotes were one higher then i thought they should be i forgot about that arrow rote specialties

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
wait what is this about specialties? What did I gently caress up?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

attention mages: i could run mage today. who wants 2 mage

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

mage is for suckers

Branigan
Jan 1, 2008

by DocEvil

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

mage is for suckers

well if nicolae is playing i guess i will

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Branigan posted:

The aging house shuddered violently, clouds of dust drifting down from the rafters. Medved knelt, gazing at the badly damaged wooden floors beneath him. It was so close, he could feel it! It was only a matter of finding the key... The house shook again, and Medved heard an inhuman roar echo down from the roof. Socharis? He hoped so. Tombheart's necrotic stalkers should keep the Seers' blessed assassins at bay as long as Arrian's warding kept them from teleporting, but the werewolves knew these cursed woods better than anyone. No matter. A few seconds more, and... aha! Drawing his hand in a mystic pattern along some seemingly-innocuous scratch marks in the floorboards, Medved almost shouted in triumph as a part of the floor lifted up and away, revealing the very tome he'd gone through fire and death to retrieve. Reverently, he brushed the dust from its cover and opened it...

THEE MYSTERIE OF TYME

by

HERR PROFESSOR DOKTOR BARON VON ZYBOURNE

Imagyne ae balle on thee edge of a clyfe...

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dammit Who? posted:

The aging house shuddered violently, clouds of dust drifting down from the rafters. Medved knelt, gazing at the badly damaged wooden floors beneath him. It was so close, he could feel it! It was only a matter of finding the key... The house shook again, and Medved heard an inhuman roar echo down from the roof. Socharis? He hoped so. Tombheart's necrotic stalkers should keep the Seers' blessed assassins at bay as long as Arrian's warding kept them from teleporting, but the werewolves knew these cursed woods better than anyone. No matter. A few seconds more, and... aha! Drawing his hand in a mystic pattern along some seemingly-innocuous scratch marks in the floorboards, Medved almost shouted in triumph as a part of the floor lifted up and away, revealing the very tome he'd gone through fire and death to retrieve. Reverently, he brushed the dust from its cover and opened it...

THEE MYSTERIE OF TYME

by

+1 AXP, 36 AXP Total

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

what makes this seminal work so important is that contemporary accounts record not one but four balls- deliberate distortion by the Guardians or the Seers? Or simple pancryptia? Only time will tell...

time, get it

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Dammit Who? posted:

THEE MYSTERIE OF TYME

by

this is awesome, now come play mage you dingleberry

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

bran-i-gan

damm-it-who

should i be ex-pec-ting you

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 11, 2009

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey so I'm seeing something involving damage

What's the difference between #B and #L damage

e nevermind

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 11, 2009

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Dickeye posted:

Hey so I'm seeing something involving damage

What's the difference between #B and #L damage

B is bashing, L is lethal, it's in the WoD book somewhere

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I haven't actually looked at that. I have the pdf but I've really only read the Mage book

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Dickeye posted:

Yeah I haven't actually looked at that. I have the pdf but I've really only read the Mage book

well the health/hitpoints/damage system is a little complicated (and also i am in the middle of a game!) so i'm not going to explain it here but if you check out the WoD index (bottom of the pdf) for "health" you can find out how it all works

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I saw that also I know about the game (I'm watching it)

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

well you should definitely read the WoD book, in nWoD all the individual games like Vampire and Mage and so on are supplements to the core WoD so it has a lot of Important Stuff!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Enoch Part something completed!

+2 XP. 65 XP total.
+1 AXP for entering the Shadow for the first time. 37 AXP total.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

Enoch Part something completed!

+2 XP. 65 XP total.
+1 AXP for entering the Shadow for the first time. 37 AXP total.

this does not even begin to describe how awesome this session was

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Dammit Who? posted:

this does not even begin to describe how awesome this session was

especially notpaul and his magic dice rolls

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

sorry for leaving at 1am

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

sorry for leaving at 1am

it's okay, my broken heart will heal eventually...

socharis...

Branigan
Jan 1, 2008

by DocEvil

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

sorry for leaving at 1am

you missed notpaul talking a giant dragon into eating a dude and then freaking out when ferrinus made him roll a derangement check

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Branigan posted:

you missed notpaul talking a giant dragon into eating a dude and then freaking out when ferrinus made him roll a derangement check

also we learned that one of notpaul's uncles went to prison for telling a guy he was going to get his gun and shoot him, went to his car, got his gun, and shot him

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

I was thinking. We really have a conundrum to deal with, regarding the two Seers we captured.
We can't kill them, since it'd be immoral. It'd be inefficient and wasteful to schlep them all the way back to Enoch, and since he'd probably kill them it wouldn't be a really moral choice anyway. We can't let them go, since they'll meet up with their Seer friends and want revenge. Would it be feasible, both in terms of the magic we currently have and the behavior of the Seers, to find some spell to keep them unconscious in the woods for a week or so? Find (or make) them a nice secure spot where they won't get eaten by wolves and put them in hibernation. I have Time 2, so I can do time-delay stuff, right? I can work with one of the Life guys to arrange their comas to last exactly a week and hopefully by then Enoch will be freed and they won't want to come give us poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

I was thinking. We really have a conundrum to deal with, regarding the two Seers we captured.
We can't kill them, since it'd be immoral. It'd be inefficient and wasteful to schlep them all the way back to Enoch, and since he'd probably kill them it wouldn't be a really moral choice anyway. We can't let them go, since they'll meet up with their Seer friends and want revenge. Would it be feasible, both in terms of the magic we currently have and the behavior of the Seers, to find some spell to keep them unconscious in the woods for a week or so? Find (or make) them a nice secure spot where they won't get eaten by wolves and put them in hibernation. I have Time 2, so I can do time-delay stuff, right? I can work with one of the Life guys to arrange their comas to last exactly a week and hopefully by then Enoch will be freed and they won't want to come give us poo poo.

I'd say an extended Mind 3 spell can keep them asleep or comatose for whatever duration you buy up, while an extended Life 3 spell (and abundant foliage/soil/whatever) can keep their bodies satiated and otherwise in biological stasis.

This would be a disadvantageous course of action for you because the Life spell would certainly be Vulgar, it would take hours of casting (seriously, three hours per roll), and for as long as the spell holds it counts as one of those that your Gnosis maintains. You can only maintain Gnosis + 3 spells at a time. Plus, you miss out on an interrogation, or at least an Enoch-enhanced one.

It's an advantageous course of action because it would almost certainly fire off most or all of your Virtues and you also avoid acting like despicable human monsters.