Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

What happened during the first run in at Enoch's Sanctum, incidentally? Can I assume that the other guys filled in Matryoshka about what happened, during the course of researching more about Enoch?

I should probably publicize this, so here's the official answer:

Enoch's Sanctum Synopsis

It was discovered that Enoch retained a private sanctum in the city, and the PCs were sent to take a look. The sanctum was on Manhattan's west edge, beneath a dock - a Prime phantasm of a solid brick wall sealed off a tunnel leading into a small complex that was guarded by strange humanoid monsters sculpted partly of flesh and partly of solid blue light. It turned out that these were Prime constructs conjured by a Seer of the Throne theurgist who had invaded and attempted to overtake the sanctum - he used Enoch's old facilities to create the warriors and then conjured and enslaved ghosts to "pilot" them.

Exploring the complex (which was mostly exteremely spartan and bare) the group came upon one room that was lavishly decorated. It was furnished with a bed and sofa, it had bookshelves, a television set, and even a working computer. It also had a resident: "Alice", a young woman who the group found crouched on the bed in fear as a number of the Seer's conjured monsters used their claws to scratch away a magic circle that, apparently, was keeping Alice alive. The group drove the creatures away and repaired and refueled the circle for her, but before they could ask her much they were forced to confront the Seer himself. A pitched battle took the group outside the sanctum and onto the docks, where the weakened Seer was suddenly abducted by the spirit the Emerson Tower scelestus had been using to collect sacrifices.

The group found that the Sanctum's entrance had been resealed after their exit, and did not have the strength to attempt re-entry, so they just reported back to base. Later, they watched that Seer's throat slit just before an angel (or "angel") materialized and blasted everything to bits.

quote:

(Also, since I don't have Prime or Forces, this is a moot question, but if I had taken some of Enoch's rotes, would my Eidetic Memory merit have kept me from the die-roll penalties on remembering our research?)

No, because the problem is that you'd literally have been studying rotes rather than listening or reading information. On the other hand, your Eidetic Memory would mean that you wouldn't have to roll at all in instances that the rest of the group would have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Cool, thanks! Sometimes I have so many questions :shobon: (I have the second highest postcount in this thread and have only played once...)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cool, thanks! Sometimes I have so many questions :shobon:

Every question you ask in this thread makes happyelf that much angrier that none of his players apparently bother to discuss the game, so by all means.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Enoch, being an Obrimos, wrote many of his works about the Force and Prime arcana, but he also contributed to shorter treatises about other arcana. While researching some of Enoch's work, Matryoshka came across some of his writings about the Space arcanum. Matryoshka chose to take some time to pick up the Spatial Map rote, realizing how useful it could be in the likely event that he would have to use his gun.

* Space 1 - Spatial Map [Occult, C: 5 dice, V: 3 dice] (covert)
2 xp for Spatial Map
-1 to die rolls for remembering the research

ferrinus said this was okay on IRC

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Do we need to run a short one-person adventure or something if I want to increase my Space arcanum to 4?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

What happened to Alice?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Dammit Who? posted:

Do we need to run a short one-person adventure or something if I want to increase my Space arcanum to 4?

Surely you don't have the XP yet...

At any rate, probably. I'll tell you straight, raising Arcana (esp. past Disciple level) usually takes significant periods of meditation or study and isn't something you can realistically do in the current time frame, i.e. you have to get moving right now because we can only hold the radiation in for so long etc. etc.

Once you guys are in a situation where you have some actual downtime, we'll figure it out.

What happened to Alice?

She's still in there as far as anyone knows. You still have no idea what her deal is, although she spoke as though she knew the sanctum's original owner.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attn mages! I'd like to play tonight!

You guys should start accruing in #PC-OOC if you're available. I'd like to start sometime after 8:30 or 9:00 est.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Attn mages! I'd like to play tonight!

You guys should start accruing in #PC-OOC if you're available. I'd like to start sometime after 8:30 or 9:00 est.

yesssssss

ferrinus i totally need to kill a thing tonight

i was gonna say "kill a dude" but killing sentients fucks up your wisdom so i'll be okay with killing like rat golems or something

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Incidentally.

The following mages were, if I recall correctly, at Ground Zero: Adramel, Arrian, Dasein, Tombheart(:laugh:).

They've been cured of radiation poisoning best they can - but they can still feel a slow burn deep in their flesh and bone marrow, and every time they exert their will they can feel the magic crackle and blaze painfully. Even the most basic Mage Sight spell stings to invoke, and when significant amounts of magic are used the pain becomes searing.

* Every point of mana spent to cast a spell for any reason adds 1 die to that spell's dicepool. This includes the mana paid to cast a Vulgar spell, mana paid as part of a spell's inherent cost, or even points spent freely by the player for nothing more than a dice bonus.

* Every point of mana spent to cast a spell inflicts 1 die of Resistant bashing damage to the caster. Resistant damage cannot be healed by magic.

Adramel finds the effect feeding off of his connection to the Aether uncontrollably: He gains 3 dice per mana point, but takes 2 dice of resistant damage.

Solomon still feels the occasional twinge but seems otherwise fine.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Finished exploring Enoch's sanctum! (Almost)

+2 XP! 41 XP total.

+1 Arcane XP thanks to Arrian's clever deductions about Alice!

23 Arcane XP total.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 12, 2008

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
how much arcane XP does it cost to buy from level 3 to 4 in your best arcana

i want to buy death 4

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

a man of ill repute posted:

i want to buy death 4

I think the house rules say that Arcane XP is only used for advancing Gnosis.

Also that was kind of fun, I am glad I got to do something besides make a few a-little-too-noir quips.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

a man of ill repute posted:

i want to buy death 4

its 24 regular xp to advance to 4 with favored arcana, but we cant do it yet because we are busy busy busy and going beyond 3 in an arcanum is A Thing

Jesu Kuristu
Dec 23, 2004
i am a beautiful and unique snowflake bitches
code:
===========================================================
Victor "Vic" Eves, a.k.a. Shatterglass Vic among other Lost
===========================================================
* Fortitude/Pride
* Ogre
* Gristlegrinder

==========
ATTRIBUTES (P/M/S)
==========
MENTAL           PHYSICAL       SOCIAL
------           --------       ------
Intelligence: 2 Strength: 5     Presence: 3
Wits: 3         Dexterity: 4    Manipulation: 2
Resolve: 2      Stamina: 2      Composure: 2

======
SKILLS (P/S/M)
======
MENTAL (-3 Unskilled)   PHYSICAL (-1 Unskilled) SOCIAL (-1 Unskilled)
------                  --------                ------
Academics:      0       Athletics:      3       Animal Ken:     0
Computer:       0       Brawl:          4       Empathy:        2
Crafts:         3       Drive:          1       Expression:     0
Investigation:  2       Firearms:       0       Intimidation:   3
Medicine:       1       Larceny:        0       Persuasion:     1
Occult:         0       Stealth:        2       Socialize:      0
Politics:       0       Survival:       2       Streetwise:     2
Science:        0       Weaponry:       2       Subterfuge:     2

SPECIALTIES
-----------
* Survival: Navigation
* Investigation: Hedge
* Streetwise: Gangs
* Brawl: Grapple

==========
ADVANTAGES
==========
MERITS
------
Mantle (Autumn) 1
Giant           4
Pledgesmith     1
Hollow (Size)   1
Hollow (Wards)  1
Goblin Vow (Shadows) 1
Fast Reflexes   1

DERIVED TRAITS
--------------
* Health:       8 (Stamina + Size)
* Willpower:    4 (Resolve + Composure)

* Initiative:   7 (Dex + Composure)
* Size:         6
* Speed:        13 (Str + Dex + 5)
* Defense:      3 (Lower of Dex or Wits)

* Clarity:      4
==============
SUPERNAL MAGIC
==============
WYRD: 2
-------
* Glamour: 11 max, spend 2 per turn

=========
CONTRACTS
=========
Eternal Autumn
--------------
Last Breath Isaac [1G/Manipulation + Wyrd/Instant]
    Success forces plant to insta-ripen.

Withering Glare [1G/Presence + Intimidation + Mantle - Stamina/Instant]
    1B/success.

Stone
-----
Might of the Terrible Brute [1G/Strength + Wyrd/Reflexive]
    +1 die/success for next action, if based on Strength.

Hearth
------
Fickle Fate [1G//Instant]
    Next attempted action is at -2.

Elements
--------
Cloak of the Elements (Water) [2G//Instant]
    Subtract Wyrd from incidental damage inflicted by element.

Armor of the Element's Fury (Water) [2G/Dex + Wyrd/Instant]
    +1 Armor
    Dex-based Brawl attack that deals 1/2 Wyrd lethal (round up)
    All attackers and attacking objects suffer 1/2 Wyrd lethal (round up)

============================
EXPERIENCE POINT EXPENDITURE
============================

30  Token 5 (Squall Knife)
6   Token 2 (Screaming Arrow)
4   Contracts of Oath and Punishment 1
10  Stamina 2
20  Dexterity 4
--------------------------------------

==============
CURRENT STATUS
==============
* Health: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
* Willpower: 4/4
* Glamour: 9/11 (2/turn)

COMBAT VALUES
-------------
* Initiative: 7

* Defense: 3
* Armor: 1/0

* Speed: 13
* Size: 6

ATTACK STATISTICS
-----------------
* Punch In The Face:        9B
* Metal Punch In The Face:  10B
* Grab:                     10
* Gutstab:                  11L (G)
* Headbite:                 12L (G)
* Stab:                     8L

RESISTANCE DICEPOOLS
--------------------
* Stamina: 4 (Stam + Wyrd)
* Resolve: 4 (Resolve + Wyrd)
* Composure: 3 (Composure + Wyrd)

OTHER DICEPOOLS
---------------
* Perception: 5 (Wits + Composure)
* Enter Dream: 7 (Wits + Composure + Wyrd)
* Wake Up: 4 (Resolve + Composure)
* Resist Wake Up: (Wits + Empathy + Wyrd)
* Analyze Dream: Wits + Empathy - Intensity
* Check for Prophetic Dream: 4 + Intensity(Wits + Occult + Wyrd)
* Convince the Dreamer: 6 (Wits + Empathy + Wyrd)
* Learn About the Dreamer: 7 (Wits + Empathy + Wyrd)
* Scour the Dream: 6 (Wits + Empathy + Wyrd)

========= INVENTORY =========
GENERAL
-------
* Clothes on back.

MAGICAL
-------
Screaming Arrow: Upgrade damage
Squall Knife: Recover health upon dealing damage

WEAPONS
-------
Knife with brass knuckles on handle - +1B with Brawl or +1L with Weaponry

ARMOR
-----
* Clothes on back are kind of heavy - 1/0

BIO
---
Many people have nightmares when they are children, and eventually grow out of them as they mature, losing themselves in the everyday businesses of life rather than lingering on momentary nocturnal hallucinations. With Victor, it seems as though life had played a joke - instead of growing out of nightmares, he grew into them. At the age of twenty, they started - innocuous at first, but steadily increasing in intensity and horrifying detail. "Let go! Not the hands!" he'd cry out in his dorm, much to the chagrin of his normal roommates. When exams rolle d around, he found himself terribly unprepared, and, quite predictibly, failed out. The academic suspension he received did not seem so bad, however - Victor decided to spend the next few months living with his parents and hopefully recover from all the stress.

It was a good idea, and the nightmares stopped. For one week and one day.

On the ninth day, Victor Eves was again denied his peace. His screams echoed throughout the house, over and over again. When his parents tried to wake him, they found that they couldn't - Victor would sleep in writhing agony for the entire night, until the first ray of the sun brought him temporary reprieve. For one week and one day, the Victor endured, and, just as suddenly as they had started, the torturous visions stopped. On the ninth day, Victor slept like a baby, and the doctor that his parents had arranged to come seem him on the tenth had no explanation for the occurrence, nor its absence. It seemed as though everything had returned to normal - Victor's parents did not worry, and he returned to university with the hopes of carrying on with life just as any other normal human being.

Each night, Victor dreaded going to sleep. Even when he had moved off campus and the nightmares subsided, he felt worry well up in the pit of his somach as dusk approached. Thankfully, on his first night home, sleep refused to come to him for many hours; when it did, it was mercifully uneventful, and though he woke up just as tired the next morning, he had no complaints.

On his second night, Victor managed to get a few more hours, and his face began to once again show colour.
On his third night, Victor dreamt in peace, and it seemed as though all was going well.

For four more nights, Victor rested, regained his strength, and was returning to his former jubilant self.

On the eighth night, Victor dreamt of vivid colours and good fortunes, of graduating with honours and being surrounded by beautiful girls.

And on the ninth night, Victor felt a beautiful hand clasp around his. It was so cold.

The long, icy fingers wrapped around his wrist like a vise, and when Victor looked to see who it was tugging at him, his heart skipped a beat. It was Him. Her. It. But It had never come this far from under the bed! Even as it loomed closer and closer over him, Victor recalled his previous nightmares. There was always a hand, sometimes two, sometimes ten, grabbing for him, all with long, icy fingers just like this one, but never did he see more than the corner of Its mouth. Now he saw It, in all Its horrid form.

The face, nothing but sharp angles, was exactly in front of him. Its pointed nose nearly touched his, and the poppy-red lips stretched in a wide smile, revealing a row of sharp teeth, clenched together and shining like diamonds. Victor felt more icy fingers around his throat. It was, he knew then, the Sepulchre of Glass and Flesh.

No sooner had he thought that than he felt himself dragged, forever separated from the comfort of his room. Like the corpse of a fallen deer, he was being pulled over forest briars, and each time he tried to struggle, the forest punished him with dirt in his face and stinging barbs in his flash. With his arms bloodied from thorn bites, Victor grabbed on to the last chance he saw - a tree just off the path. He put his arms around its spiked trunk, and held it in a lover's embrace. The tree held back, sinking its skewers deep beneath his skin. The Sepulchre of Glass and Flesh paid no heed and kept walking, its quarry firmly in its grasp. Still Victor held on, with strength beyond strength, until he felt his body being dragged away from the tree, his arms shattering like so much glass. Crying out in agony, he let go and surrendered.

But the tree held on for one week and one day, and did not give until the poor boy's arms were distended like flimsy elastics and chunks of his flesh hung from its spines.

The Sepulchre knew that nothing in the Hedge would let the boy go, Itself no exception.
Victor knew, too.

I'll keep adding poo poo about the Durance and escape from the Fae if anyone's interested.

Jesu Kuristu fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 5, 2009

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Jesu Kuristu posted:

what the heck

nevermind I figured it it out

Danhenge fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 11, 2008

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Danhenge posted:

what the heck

nevermind I figured it it out

Everyone, meet Jesu Kuristu. He's like super cool.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

homeboy needs an avatar. everyone should have an avatar.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

If he gets one it should just be a giant :c00lbert: imo.

Anyway, folks, I wanna run some mage today (Tuesday Nov. 11). Perhaps around seven or eightish? But there is a complication: AIM is not working for me for some bizarre reason. So start accreting in the channel if you want to contact me!

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I have class till late sorry dude!

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Anyway, folks, I wanna run some mage today (Tuesday Nov. 11). Perhaps around seven or eightish? But there is a complication: AIM is not working for me for some bizarre reason. So start accreting in the channel if you want to contact me!

I'd love to play but 7 or 8ish is not happening. :( I have chem lab starting at 7, fifteen minutes from now, and it can last until 9:45 and then it's 30-45 minutes to get home depending on how much I'm persuaded by the speed limit signs. This is my situation every Tuesday, incidentally.

I guess if it runs long enough, and I finish up early enough, I can catch the end and get caught up for next week. :unsmith:

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

also please include time zones, you're talk EST right?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Danhenge posted:

also please include time zones, you're talk EST right?

Yes, EST, the only real time zone.

I can chill out and wait till nine or ten or whatever! But if any people are available they should feel free to materialize.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

Yes, EST, the only real time zone.

I can chill out and wait till nine or ten or whatever! But if any people are available they should feel free to materialize.

I would not advise this, tonight can't really be a late night for me!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Danhenge posted:

I would not advise this, tonight can't really be a late night for me!

Well we're playing now without you anyway bitch. Debord is there~

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
welp

I would join but I actually need to do some homework so I don't have to do it tomorrow so I can go meet some doctoral student from some other school whose program I may theoretically apply to

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Danhenge posted:

welp

I would join but I actually need to do some homework so I don't have to do it tomorrow so I can go meet some doctoral student from some other school whose program I may theoretically apply to

i think ferrinus said we can just pretend we brought you along

we're goin' on a road trip in an suv "on extended loan" from a police impound lot

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

i think ferrinus said we can just pretend we brought you along

we're goin' on a road trip in an suv "on extended loan" from a police impound lot

i will command spirits wherever possible!

this is my #1 prime directive

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Danhenge posted:

i will command spirits wherever possible!

this is my #1 prime directive

...wouldn't that be your #1 Spirit directive

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

oh ho ho ho ho

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

+3 experience for Troutville's Stump! 44 XP total.

+1 arcane experience for discovering an interesting way to create indefinite spells semicheaply. 24 AXP total.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 12, 2008

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Telekinetic Strike (Forces ***)
The staple offensive spell of the Forces arcanum, this technique allows the caster to batter a target with pure kinetic energy. As the mage's mastery increases, he can finely sculpt the attack so as to rend or even disintegrate his target. This spell generally manifests as a whipcrack of force that lashes from the caster to the target, but advanced users can cause their victims to simply be crushed where they stand.
Practice: Fraying
Action: Instant and Aimed
Duration: Lasting
Aspect: Vulgar
Cost: None
Rote Skill: Athletics
Each success inflicts one level of bashing damage on a target. A mage with Forces 4 can choose to deal lethal damage, and a mage with Forces 5 can spend an extra point of mana to deal aggravated damage. When this spell deals aggravated damage, it manifests both visibly and audibly as a shrieking, air-rending visual distortion, and so can be resisted by Defense.

A mage with Forces 4 can choose to cast Telekinetic Strike as a directly-targeted spell rather than an aimed spell. His dicepool is reduced by the victim's Stamina but otherwise ignores factors such as armor, concealment, or prone-ness. A direct Telekinetic Strike inflicts bashing damage; with Forces 5, it can inflict lethal damage.

In all cases, the target must roll Strength + Athletics, with a dice penalty equal to the damage dealt by the spell - if he fails, he is thrown a number of yards equal to the damage dealt (away from the caster for an aimed spell, or in any direction the caster chooses for a targeted spell) and falls prone.

Telekinesis (Forces ***)
The mage can exert force at a distance, moving things with thought alone.
Practice: Weaving
Action: Instant
Duration: Concentration
Rote Skill: Athletics or Larceny
The caster remotely seizes and manipulates an inanimate object, as long as the minimum Strength required to lift that object does not exceed this spell's Potency. The mage can will the object to take further actions in successive turns as part of concentrating to maintain the spell. While the spell remains in effect, the caster can also move the object nonviolently through the air at a speed of Gnosis + Forces + 5 in addition to taking his own movement in a turn.

Dice actions taken by the object are resolved using the caster's Forces rating as an attribute and the caster's own skills, so the caster rolls Forces + Larceny + Equipment Bonus to remotely pick a lock or Forces + Weaponry + Damage Bonus to slash someone with a floating sword. The caster must release the spell's hold on an item to throw it beyond the range it could normally be moved in a turn, but adds Gnosis to the dicepool to do so and ignores any penalty for improvised weapons by expending all of the spell's latent energy at once.

By adding target factors to this spell, a caster can take hold of and manipulate multiple objects at once so long as the spell's Potency rating is sufficient to shift their combined weight. The mage can still perform only one instant action per turn of concentration, so one object might act while the others hang in place or all objects might act together to achieve some singular task, adjudicated with a single dicepool. Rolls to affect multiple targets with levitated objects suffer a dice penalty equal to the number of targets.

An Adept of Forces can cast this spell with a Prolonged duration. The caster must still concentrate to make objects perform instant actions, but can otherwise count on them to remain afloat or move through the air for as long as the spell lasts. Alternately, an Adept of Forces can add one mana to this spell's cost to double its Potency for the purposes of how much mass it can lift. Objects lifted by this means are too heavy to be manipulated normally: they can only hang in the air, float at a Speed equal to the caster's Gnosis, or float slightly faster at a speed equal to the caster's Gnosis + Forces if concentration is devoted to moving them. A Master of Forces can access both these options simultaneously.

Telekinetic Grapple (Forces *****)
The caster seizes a living (or at least animate) creature with unseen force, holding it helplessly aloft or hurling it through the air.
Practice: Weaving
Action: Instant and Contested; target rolls Resolve + Gnosis
Duration: Concentration
Rote Skill: Athletics, Brawl or Larceny
The caster telekinetically grapples a creature within range. If the spell's Potency is at least as high as the theoretical Strength rating that would be required to lift the creature off the ground, the creature can be moved through the air at a speed of the caster's Gnosis + Forces + 5 minus the creature's own Resolve as part of the caster's own movement on a turn. Otherwise, the creature is merely seized where it stands, unable to move freely as though grappled normally. The target remains otherwise free to act, although any physical actions it takes have their dicepools reduced by the caster's Forces rating just as they would be by the Strength of a grappling opponent. (At the storyteller's discretion, other actions might be penalized as well; it can be difficult to concentrate when upside down.)

The caster can perform overpowering manuevers against the target on subsequent turns while concentrating to maintain the spell, using the same dicepool used to cast the spell minus the higher of the target's Strength or Resolve. The target might be slowly crushed or smashed into obstacles to inflict damage (adding the obstacles' Durability to the dicepool and potentially inflicting lethal damage in the latter case), forced to drop its weapons or turn them on itself (requiring separate actions to first turn and then attack with turned weapons), or Immobilized completely. Multiple targets grappled by adding Target or Area factors to this spell can all be subject to the same overpowering manuever simultaneously at a penalty of one die per target.

Victims of this spell cannot escape by normal means but can attempt to will themselves free. A grappled creature can roll its Resolve + Gnosis once per round as an extended action, escaping the spell once its total successes exceed the caster's.

A mage that already knows the Telekinesis rote can pay 2 experience points to upgrade it to a rote for this spell. Henceforth, this rote's dicepool can be used to cast either spell.

Heavy Telekinesis (Forces *****)
Exerting a prodigious amount of power, the caster can move staggering amounts of mass with a silent act of will.
Practice: Making
Duration: Transitory
Cost: 2 Mana
Rote Skill: Athletics, Brawl or Larceny
This functions as the normal Telekinesis spell, except that the spell Potency is added to the caster's Gnosis and then doubled to determine how much material can be lifted at once, the caster can target the spell using advanced area factors by default, and the caster cannot perform dice actions or freely move levitated objects. The caster can move the spell's target up to Gnosis + Forces + 5 yards on the turn of the spell's casting, and must concentrate to continue the movement over subsequent rounds; otherwise, affected objects hang in place.

A mage who knows the Telekinesis or Telekinetic Grapple rotes can upgrade them to this rote by paying the difference in experience points. Henceforth, this rote's dicepool can be used to cast it or either of those two spells.

Telekinetic Trance (Forces *****)
The mage's psychokinetic powers become effortless and innate. Suddenly, everything is in reach and everything subject to the caster's force of will.
Practice: Making
Duration: Prolonged
Cost: 2 Mana
Rote Skill: Athletics or Larceny
The caster gains intrinsic telekinetic powers. While this spell is in effect, the mage may use the Telekinesis, Telekinetic Grapple, and Heavy Telekinesis spells as though they were Legacy attainments rather than spells; they do not cost an extra point of mana, cause paradox, gain bonuses from vulgarity or penalties from Sleeper witnesses, or function when used sympathetically or ritualistically. They are not subject to counterspelling or dispellation - the Telekinetic Trance itself must be countered or dispelled to deprive the caster of these powers. The base mana cost, actions and dicepools the caster uses to effect telekinesis do not change. Sleeper disbelief does erode the Potency of the Telekinetic Trance spell itself whenever the spell's effects are witnessed.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 20, 2011

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

quote:

As the borrowed SUV rumbles down the road, Solomon finds himself sitting in the back with nothing much to do. Wind whips past through the open windows, something unidentifiable plays on the radio, and the entire affair's actually pretty restful, in a way.
Solomon, still frustrated by the day's unsatisfactory conclusion, leans his head back and tries to relax. He takes several deep breaths and thinks about their mission, drifting slowly off to sleep...
And then he's there.
All that's visible in any direction is a billowing black fog, shot through with glowing embers and choking with sulfur and brimstone. Solomon can feel nothing but the heat and ash on his skin, hear nothing but distant screams. Whether the smog ends only an arm's reach away or extends indefinitely is impossible to tell. But there's the powerful sensation of motion.
It's like watching a movie, almost - some sort of long opening cut where the camera swoops into a scene from on high. Solomon sees the embers streak past him like shooting stars, and suddenly emerging out of the fog before him is...a needle? No, a tree. No, no, now he gets a sense of scale, it's a massive iron tower, it must be the size of four of five skyscrapers packed onto each other, that's why it's growing so slowly as Solomon nears it despite his incredible speed.
His mind's eye finally swoops past it. For a moment, he sees it in detail: jagged windows belching flame, cruelly curving spikes with men impaled on them - but then he's past the tower, and once again shooting through the smoke.
Solomon isn't sure how much time passes before he flies past another such spire on his left, and a third on his right, and then it's as though the camera dips downwards, rushing earthward through the fog, and now Solomon finds himself incarnate, standing on solid ground. It's a shame about the manacles.
He doesn't struggle, of course. It's actually a novel change of pace from last time.
He's in a vast line of moaning, crying people - they're completely naked, so Solomon can see every rib and vertebra poking out through the distended skin, every bruise and laceration. And they're chained in a looong line in which Solomon himself has been plunked down into - though Solomon's looking and feeling fine, even wearing the clothes he had on in the car.
Slowly, the line shuffles forward. It won't be long before Solomon either has to shuffle with it, escape somehow, or fall over.
On either side of Solomon are cracked and blasted plains, apparently empty of any sort of life or features. No...one of those towers is faaaaar to the left, and a dim pale strip on the right horizon might be another such line of chained slaves.
Solomon takes a few steps forward, looking ahead to the line's destination to see if he should pursue it.
The line stretches on into the distance.
"Well, arlright then." Solomon tugs to the left, breaking formation.
The smog seems lighter here on the surface, such that Solomon can actually see the people ahead of him grow shorter and shorter and shorter before disappearing into the horizon, in a perfect demonstration of classical perspective.
A chorus of moans accompany Solomon's tug, and he feels some resistance - but it's the weak, faltering resistance of the broken-willed. Somehow, Solomon feels like if he has enough confidence he can simply drag the entire line after him, no matter its length.
...and indeed he tries, but no. He can feel the weight of their suffering coiling around him, almost infecting him. What's the point? What's the point of even trying? There's no getting out of here. Glancing forward, it seems as though the horizon's gotten even farther away.
And the manacles are starting to really chafe, and the chains across Solomon's back are making it far too heavy to keep standing up so straight...
But when met with even a little resistance, someone as stubborn as solomon gets irritated. He plants his feet and waits for whatever drives this procession to force him onward.
They can't. The poor wretches can't. They're too far gone to so much as displace a hair on your head if you don't want them to. Around Solomon, the line jerks to a stop.
There's about a minute of silence before the air is disturbed by a furious flapping.
Crow's wings, the oily black feathers in total disarray, nevertheless somehow manage to support the monster that's falling out of the sky like a comet. It lands with an earth-shaking thump and unfolds to tower over Solomon, glaring angrily with a single cat-pupiled eye that's surrounded by little snarling mouths. One powerfully muscled hand holds a scourge that seems to be on fire - the other hand isn't, the wrist simply dissolving into a tangle of thorns and tentacles.
"WHAT IS THIS! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
"Yes, hello, I seem to have gotten lost."
Each mouth screams in unison - their voices are high-pitched, like children's, but also buzz somewhat on the end of every consonant. "LOST? WHAT DO I CARE IF YOU'RE LOST?" 12It cracks the scourge - not in the air, but straight across Solomon's face and body. His clothes are in burning tatters, and that's to say nothing of his once-pleasant complexion. "WALK, SLAVE!"
"Look, that's all well and good, but I'm not a slave. I came here looking for guidance."
"Either take me to him or bring him to me, I don't care. Just remove these insipid manacles first."
It might puzzle onlookers as to why Solomon is capable of responding so casually - but it would puzzle them, too, to see how the damage caused by the scourge doesn't even seem to be there anymore. The demon glares angrily. "GUIDANCE? GUIDANCE? YES - YES, YOU'LL HAVE GUIDANCE. COME WITH ME!" It doesn't wait for your assent. It reaches forward with its not-a-hand, and the psueodia wind themselves around Solomon's neck and shoulders. With a single wrenching motion, it pulls him straight out of the manacles (it's unclear how that works - Solomon's feet are fine, and the chains he occupied seem to have disappeared entirely, binding two of the damned more closely together) and then flaps off into the sky, carrying its burden with it.
Solomon's flying again, but now it's not a smooth, picturesque arc through the sky. He's jostled roughly and painfully as the monster flaps through the sky with him in tow, occasionally rising into the black smog and occasionally dipping below it. As far as Solomon can tell, he's following the line to its destination.
It's only a few moments before he reaches it - which is strange, because he certainly isn't flying that fast, and didn't the line stretch to the end of the horizon before? But no, now he's here. It's a gigantic pit, at least a hundred yards in diameter. Solomon can see at least six separate lines of slaves stretching in from the distance to converge on it, each of them stopping somewhere on its circumference.
No, the sleepwalker realizes, the lines don't stop. Even as he's brought to the ground he sees one of the slaves take a shuffling, broken step just like every other shuffling, broken step - and simply fall through his chains to drop into the pit and out of sight.
Solomon's thrown roughly to the ground, even ouncing a few times - but somehow it doesn't hurt, really, doesn't even dirty his clothes. When he stands, he finds himself a few feet from the edge, the demon standing before him.
"YOU WANT GUIDANCE? STEP IN."
He does so, wondering if every prophecy comes with so many inconveniences.
Well hold on a sec. Solomon walks right up to the edge. He can diiiimly see the bottom, actually. Which is strange, since he can't perceive anything more than twenty feet into the sky, and the pit is fantastically deep. But with incredible acuity, he can tell that the bottom is just a gigantic carpet of pale, writhing bodies, most of them on fire.
Taking the step?
Is there anything else in the room?
Well, the area.
Room? I take it you mean the bottom of the pit, and no. The area is just a blasted plain with five other lines of slaves besides yours converging on the hole and, one by one, falling in.
Solomon gets the idea that this isn't run of the mill torment. Something big's going on here...
Taking the plunge, then--if a whip can't hurt him, hey!
Let the mind's eye stop following Solomon and zoom back for a moment. From behind, Solomon's body visibly moves forward, his right foot hovering out over the edge of the pit.
The moment, the very moment the sole of his shoe crosses the imaginary threshhold between ground level and the pit proper, Solomon's figure is completely replaced by a roaring, rushing, reverse waterfall of iron. Where there was an empty hole viewed from the side, there's now just a continuous stream of metal, blurring upwards far too fast to be seen clearly.
When the camera catches up with Solomon, he's already at least a hundred yards high, standing with one foot balanced precariously on the edge of a massive iron tower that's literally growing up from the ground beneath him.
Glancing back and down, he can see familiar-looking portholes open in the metal/flesh and begin to burn, can see spikes jut from the sides, damned souls already impaled on them. Smog whips past his face.
There's some sort of rhythm to the growth, though - it's not just straight up. Here and there the tower winds left or right, grows a strange outcropping or extra mass, and all the while the top is slowly narrowing, so Solomon is first at the edge of a hundred yard disc, then a fifty yard disc, then standing square on a flat circle not much wider than he is.
"So I'm a proximus there, or a construction worker here. Fantastic."
No, Solomon has no part in this, no control over it. He just had exemplary timing.
But something has control over it. Because Solomon can see a shape now, moving dimly in the fog above him, weaving left and right, back and forth, and with every motion the tower's growth spirals or sways in that direction.
The growth is slowing now, becoming gentler, more precise. Solomon gets closer and closer to the shape above him, and now starts to recognize it - a single massive finger, charcoal-black and lined with flame, ending in a pointed talon. It traces figures in the air as though conducting a piece of music, and the tower follows every move.
Finally, one last almost gentle arc traced through the fog, and the growth completes. Solomon finds himself standing still on a tiny circular roof, the great hand above him, two burning eyes dimly visible (and still higher than he is) through the clouds.
"Hey, you."
Suddenly the finger crooks, and Solomon remembers a detail of the other towers he saw that has (up until now) been curiously missing from this one: they're all capped with another spike.
There's a wet little sound, and Solomon finds himself staring at an iron fang that's protruding out through his chest. This time, he can't will away the torment. It's real, and it's horrible.
Even as he tries (and fails) to ignore the pain, he sees a massive face loom out of the smoke. It's human - well, humanoid. The structure of the skull is normal, at least, but there's not really a nose - just two glowing vertical slits. The mouth is lined with fangs and, like the eyes and nostrils, looks like a massive furnace. Pointed ears frame the face and massive horns curve up too high into the fog for their points to be seen. But what absolutely can't be missed is the slowly rotating, burning crown, hanging in the air.
A voice that sounds like it'll shatter your bones if it goes on for too long thunders: "SPEAK."
"Well, I saw you playing catch with #419, and I got a little jealous." He's spitting a bloody mist as he says this, of course, and his words are slurred.
There's no answer. You can feel the skin on your face and chest start to blister, literally, from the heat of the monster's glare.
I'm seeking a man named Enoch."
"YOU APPROACH HIM EVEN NOW. HE CROUCHES AT THE HEART OF A WEB - ONE NOT OF HIS OWN MAKING."
Solomon thinks for a moment: that one's easy, given what he already knows, and he suspected it regardless.
It's strange that you can think clearly, because proximity to the archdemon before Solomon is actually heating up the metal of the tower itself, and the mortal is starting to be burned from within as well as without.
Still, there's the pain - and there's your thoughts, which are separate from the pain. It seems this realm is at least granting you that luxury, for now.
If Solomon's faculties didn't function, this whole experience would be rather pointless. "And how do I traverse without being stuck?"
"THE WEB IS BLIND TO YOU - BUT ITS SPINNER MIGHT NOT BE. SHUN OR DESTROY HIS MINIONS."
"And who is he?"
"TO HIS OWN, A GREAT SAGE. TO YOUR COMPANIONS, A DEADLY ENEMY. BUT TO YOU, HIS KIND AND THEIRS ARE ALIKE."
"NO ALLIES AWAIT YOU IN THE WEB."

"Why do you make towers?" He honestly cares more about this last one than the whole series of questions--finding enoch is little more than a job, after all.
"BECAUSE I AM THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN."
Your mind is clear to the last but your vision, once red with pain, is starting to black out all together. Your heart slows, your lungs fail - it's a miracle that you held out even this long. Dying atop the tower, you have time for perhaps a few words more.
Of course, the worst answer for the most interesting question. "Would you ask anything of me?"
The answers have been coming quickly, but for this question there's an actual pause - a few seconds at most, but jarring nonetheless. Even the process of your body dying seems to halt.
"DESTROY THE ANGEL."
And Solomon dies.

+1 Arcane XP for a bizarre dream Notpaul had (again)! 25 AXP total.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 13, 2008

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
drat that's pretty metal

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

drat

how did a sleepwalker get to be so awesome, dude's got visions and a helldog and he can command nearly everything we run into

at least i got us an SUV! :unsmith:

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.

drat

how did a sleepwalker get to be so awesome, dude's got visions and a helldog and he can command nearly everything we run into

at least i got us an SUV! :unsmith:

This is just the beginning.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

This is just the beginning.

is this in the sense of "don't worry nicolae everyone will get a chance to be awesome too!" or "you have no idea of the terrible depths of my power!"?

edit: I didn't mean this as a complaint or griping about how things are going, this game is a lot of fun, I am just concerned I am not pulling my weight or doing much to stand out as useful!

Nicolae Carpathia fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 14, 2008

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

is this in the sense of "don't worry nicolae everyone will get a chance to be awesome too!" or "you have no idea of the terrible depths of my power!"?

this is notpaul, what do you think

quote:

edit: I didn't mean this as a complaint or griping about how things are going, this game is a lot of fun, I am just concerned I am not pulling my weight or doing much to stand out as useful!

dude you pretty much specialize in the game's strongest arcanum, don't worry about it

incidentally, here's notpaul's player character, along with his Sleepwalker Retainer

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

this is notpaul, what do you think

dude you pretty much specialize in the game's strongest arcanum, don't worry about it

incidentally, here's notpaul's player character, along with his Sleepwalker Retainer

cool picture didnt read all the words that went with it earlier hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.

you have no idea of the terrible depths of my power!