Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
Made some pumpkin spice cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting last night. They're not the prettiest, but my god are they tasty and moist! Pumpkin is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja

TwiceIfYoureLucky posted:

my daughter's 1st birthday cake.

This is absolutely wonderful. You're daughter is a lucky girl! Superb job!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
So, I received a lovely gift certificate for a local caking shop for my birthday. The shop puts on an amazing amount of decorating classes, but I'm a bit baffled with which ones may be useful for me. Everything I've done so far is self-taught (there's a lot of experimenting involved) and I'm pretty non-traditional (there are not too many flowers or lace on my cakes). I'd like to know if there is anyone out there who's taken a Wilton decorating class - What was it like? Was it worth the time and money? Do you think those Wilton decorating classes would benefit a non-traditional caker like myself, or should I look into something a little more advanced?

\/\/\/ Thanks! I'll keep all that info on page one in mind.

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 28, 2008

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

PezMaster posted:

So, I received a lovely gift certificate for a local caking shop for my birthday. The shop puts on an amazing amount of decorating classes, but I'm a bit baffled with which ones may be useful for me. Everything I've done so far is self-taught (there's a lot of experimenting involved) and I'm pretty non-traditional (there are not too many flowers or lace on my cakes). I'd like to know if there is anyone out there who's taken a Wilton decorating class - What was it like? Was it worth the time and money? Do you think those Wilton decorating classes would benefit a non-traditional caker like myself, or should I look into something a little more advanced?

I got some good answers to most of those questions on page 1.

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3

Paula Deans' Chocolate Mousse cake.
Total hit. It took forever to make, but made it around my family and they were a lot of support.
My uncle's a photographer, so that explains the shot.

Also- Chocolate truffles by using the left over ganache.
Some of the coatings included: Red crushed pepper, beer salt, pecans, cereal, white chocolate, and peppermint kisses.

chickyboom
Dec 30, 2006

Flantastic posted:

Paula Deans' Chocolate Mousse cake.
Total hit. It took forever to make, but made it around my family and they were a lot of support.
My uncle's a photographer, so that explains the shot.

Also- Chocolate truffles by using the left over ganache.
Some of the coatings included: Red crushed pepper, beer salt, pecans, cereal, white chocolate, and peppermint kisses.

Well I thought I was full after dinner, and then I saw this! Looks absolutely delicious.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is that big comb thing with the fancy handle?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

chickyboom posted:

Well I thought I was full after dinner, and then I saw this! Looks absolutely delicious.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is that big comb thing with the fancy handle?

I believe it's a fancy cake cutter. I think they're used to cut delicate cakes like angel food cakes without squishing them. I remember asking my mom about hers long ago when I was a teenager and I think that's how she explained it.

Randomity fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 1, 2008

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

Elfriede Shrempf posted:

It was my first time making whipped cream and my first layered cake too.

I just wanted to say that this was an awesome outcome for a first layered cake!

I was invited to a dinner on saturday and wanted to make a seasonal dessert but didn't want to do pie or something with traditional spices (cinnamon, ginger, etc) so soon after thanksgiving.
So, I ended up making Apple cranberry kuchen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jarp Habib
May 15, 2005
And now for something different

Fight Club posted:

Holy crap. That looks awesome.

How long were you eating cake?

About a week. We even gave significant bits of it away to friends after inviting them over to eat cake.

chuchumeister
Jul 23, 2007

Stuffed with dericious cream for your pleasure!
Do cake-shaped non-pastry items count?
My boyfriend doesn't like sweets, so for his birthday last weekend, I made him a meatcake (with meatloaf) and decorated it to look like Captain America's shield. The "frosting" and filling are all mashed potatoes (red and blue bits are dyed).

My (girl) roommates were horrified, but he and his friends loved it.

chuchumeister fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 3, 2008

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

chuchumeister posted:

My boyfriend doesn't like sweets, so for his birthday last weekend, I made him a meatcake (with meatloaf) and decorated it to look like Captain America's shield. The "frosting" and filling are all mashed potatoes (red and blue bits are dyed).

I think it's wonderful! Ahahaha, a little WTF, but fun.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pooptron2003 posted:

Made some pumpkin spice cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting last night. They're not the prettiest, but my god are they tasty and moist! Pumpkin is wonderful.

GIVE ME YOUR FROSTING RECIPE

(pretty please)

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

chuchumeister posted:

That is so freakin' awesome. My fiance has begged me not to go overboard with the baked goods when he comes home from Korea, but I need something to do so I don't climb the walls for the two days I'll be at his parents' house before his plane arrives.

I wonder if I could do a whole savory meal that looks like cake and candy...

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3

Had a spare cake since a friend canceled on coming over.

I got a little obsessive..
The side of the cake had over 900 dots. Idk how many overall.

I taught my left hand to squeeze about halfway around the side of the cake. Definitely some intense hand cramps.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Made Smitten Kitchen's chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting and chocolate peanut butter ganache

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/

Yes it's as good as it looks

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross

Flantastic posted:

That is insane.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Demagogue posted:

GIVE ME YOUR FROSTING RECIPE

(pretty please)

Surely! I usually use a loose recipe then add more varying ingredients until I'm happy with it.

I think I used this one:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Then I added a poo poo LOAD of cinnamon. Seriously, I loaded those babies up.
I also added some orange gel color and a smidge more vanilla.

Most of the time I don't even use recipes for frosting... but It had been a while since I made cream cheese frosting so I had to.

I usually end up making too much because I keep adding things until I think it's right... by then I have downed so much frosting I never want to see it ever again.

(I always come around though)

Sam_I_Am
Feb 4, 2007

I do not like your green cuisine. I find your green cuisine obscene.

shakerpenguin posted:

That's a great picture. I really dig your icing. Was it stable there, or is this an action-shot?

I checked out the smitten site, just to see if you rehosting their image. :)

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

shakerpenguin posted:

Made Smitten Kitchen's chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting and chocolate peanut butter ganache

http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/

loving hell. I know what I'm making this weekend.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Sam_I_Am posted:

That's a great picture. I really dig your icing. Was it stable there, or is this an action-shot?

I checked out the smitten site, just to see if you rehosting their image. :)

have another :3

And nope, not action shots. The frosted cake was in the fridge and the ganache was just the right temperature. I'm quite proud!

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
You guys inspired me! I decided to have fun making a cake for a coworker- she's lactose intolerant so I made a dairy-free red velvet cake.

...Then I went crazy and decided I just had to try using fondant. It was my first time using it and generic roses were not what I wanted to do (ran short on time) but it looks okay. Also very yummy.

Click here for the full 768x672 image.

Shame I didn't get any pics of it cut though. It was gobbled up far too fast.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
A friend who was in to anime waaaay too much gave me the brief "do it like those 3 storey ones that look like wedding cakes that japanese girls make!"

FAIL.

So stickly too. I can't deal with home made buttercream icing. I will also point out that this was one of my first times icing with a proper bag and not those tubes you buy.

Gawd, it looks worse every time I look at it. *shudder*

BEANS IN MAH BINDLE
Jan 10, 2009
My first fondant cake that I made for my sister's birthday:

And my second fondant cake that I made for a cake auction:

Mr. Sea Turtle's shell was a bit square, but he ended up selling for $62. :D

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

BEANS IN MAH BINDLE posted:

My first fondant cake that I made for my sister's birthday:

And my second fondant cake that I made for a cake auction:

Mr. Sea Turtle's shell was a bit square, but he ended up selling for $62. :D
I bet you'd easily be able to sell one for a hundred if you made fondant-coated cake legs. People flip poo poo over fondant-covered cakes right now. :)

P.S. That one you made for your sister is awesome. Keep it up, you're doing well!

BEANS IN MAH BINDLE
Jan 10, 2009

repeating posted:

I bet you'd easily be able to sell one for a hundred if you made fondant-coated cake legs. People flip poo poo over fondant-covered cakes right now. :)

P.S. That one you made for your sister is awesome. Keep it up, you're doing well!

Awww shucks, thank you! I will, they're really fun to make.

the_psychologist
Jul 28, 2004
~~Bush is a Dick.....Cheney~~
This is random, but I was long obsessed with the cakes seen in Asterix books. The Gauls would always have these fantastic-looking white cakes with light icing and some sort of candy/berries on.

Anyone know what I mean?

Fight Club
Jul 12, 2001
I am a shitty rip off of Patrick Bateman.

Some mini cakes I was playing around with. The top blue cake is me just playing with scroll work, and the bottom is my new favorite technique. I think it looks like embroidery.

Bobby Budnick
Jul 19, 2006

shit got real
This, my cake-making comrades, is an "Ugly Cake." It is awesome.

This one was made for my band friends who were going on tour.

It was a banana cake with chocolate frosting. The decor consists of Kit-Kats, Reese Pieces, yogurt covered pretzels, Nerds, Red Vines, leftover baby shower candy, Pop Rocks, banana chips, Rolos, candy corn, and gummi dinosaurs that are walking along the bottom. I may have missed a couple of ingredients.

We took it to the band's going away party and got everyone to indulge by taking photos of them having the cake shoved into their faces by us. It resulted in about 75 pics like this:

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
So, I need to catch up on my cakes.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

This was a cake for a fellow goon. It's the first cake I've ever carved. It was decorated in an hour, so I didn't do it as detailed as I would have like. But a good learning experience. He enjoyed it..

Pretty surreal.

I spent my Valentine's day enjoying my creations:

Chocolate cupcakes with pink vanilla frosting with fancy little white chocolate scribbles that made it look all sophisticated.

And truffles.

So. Show me your cakes.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I made chocolate cupcakes (recipe from Baking Illustrated) with peanut butter cream cheese frosting last weekend. They were delicious! but not very exciting-looking.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
A history of cakes-

My first cake, I was like thirteenish-

A friend's birthday cake circa age 17-

And most recently a friend's wedding cake (age 20)-

EDIT: I had a visitor drop in while making that last one-

Psychobabble fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 27, 2009

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
It's a bit late, but here's the cake I brought into the staff room the day before Valentine's Day:

I was going to make the big heart a box and put the little cupcakes inside, but I ran out of fondant (that's why the edges look a little wonky). The truffles on top of the mini-cupcakes were really cut marshmallows dipped and decorated in chocolate (I got the idea from Hello, Cupcake!).

I know these next two aren't cakes, but I want to share what else I've been up to:

Click here for the full 614x461 image.

Dessert Sushi!

Bacon Cookies!

EDIT: I'm looking for a good idea for a St. Patrick's Day cake for March. I'm thinking of doing a rainbow cake, decorated with a little monotone rainbow and pot of gold on top. Anyone else have any creative ideas? :c:

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 27, 2009

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Psychobabble posted:

EDIT: I had a visitor drop in while making that last one-

Hahaha what the gently caress do you live in a hanna barbera cartoon?

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand

PezMaster posted:

It's a bit late, but here's the cake I brought into the staff room the day before Valentine's Day:

I was going to make the big heart a box and put the little cupcakes inside, but I ran out of fondant (that's why the edges look a little wonky). The truffles on top of the mini-cupcakes were really cut marshmallows dipped and decorated in chocolate (I got the idea from Hello, Cupcake!).

I know these next two aren't cakes, but I want to share what else I've been up to:

Click here for the full 614x461 image.

Dessert Sushi!

Bacon Cookies!

EDIT: I'm looking for a good idea for a St. Patrick's Day cake for March. I'm thinking of doing a rainbow cake, decorated with a little monotone rainbow and pot of gold on top. Anyone else have any creative ideas? :c:

How did you do the bacon cookies? I have a group of guy friends that would LOVE those!

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Seconding the bacon cookie and dessert sushi recipes! I love food that looks like other food.

Senseless Optimism
Mar 6, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
I'm no expert by any means, but I like to experiment and have fun from time to time.

I made this for a boyfriend in... hrmm summer 2007 I think:

He loved it :3:. First from scratch cake I've made, and my first homemade buttercream frosting.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Kitsch Ersatz posted:

Seconding the bacon cookie and dessert sushi recipes! I love food that looks like other food.

The Bacon cookies were pretty straight forward. I just used a simple sugar cookie recipe and doubled it. I left half of the dough un-dyed - it was the perfect colour for the bacon 'fat'. I separated the other half and coloured with three different shades: a light pink, a darker reddish-pink, and then a nice meaty deep red. Next is the fun part - I started with a rectangle of un-dyed dough (it shouldn't be rolled or smoothed too much - bacon is not perfect!) then I started to randomly pile and flatten the rest of the dough on top of it. I made sure I had a pretty thick rectangle of dough before I cut it along the width of the rectangle (by this time it honestly looked like a side of pork). I then laid them on parchment paper and took the time to pat together the layers (sometime the different colour layers don't stick to each other) and give it some curve. Then just bake and impress goons everywhere!

The dessert sushi takes a bit more time. I started with a load of rice crispy sheets and cut them into rectangles and circles. I then lightly coated all the shapes with melted white chocolate -- I thought it gave it more of a rice-like feel and texture.

For the sushi rolls (pictured below), I stacked two round rice crispy shapes on top of each other. I then cut up lengths of wax paper and coated them in some melted dark chocolate (I added a little bit of green gel to it so that it really got the seaweed feel). I then rolled the chocolately wax paper around the rolls so that the chocolate stuck right onto the rice crispies. I put them in the fridge for a while to set - when I pulled them out, I was able to peal the wax paper right off - all that was left was the fake, chocolaty pseudo seaweed. I used sweetish berries for the fake roe and gummy orange slices for shrimp.

For the tamago sushi, I melted a bunch of marshmallows and put a bit of yellow colour gel into the mix. Then I poured everything into a small baking pan and put it in the fridge. When the marshmallow had set, I was able to cut it into long shapes. I finished up by putting some coloured fruit leather across it like a seaweed wrap. These were, by far, the most impressive.

For all the raw fish types of sushi, I used dried mango, cantaloupe, and papaya. The similarity between the dried fruits and real fish was astounding:

Sorry for all the non-caking content. Maybe I should open a "Make Food Look Like Other Food" thread?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 8, 2014

the hodag
Jan 15, 2007

Rawrzadoodle

Lixer posted:

I'd been on a cupcake kick lately...

Pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting

Do you have a recipe for these, they look delicious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream
Thanks!

Lixer posted:

I used the recipe from Martha Stewart.com. They came out similar to a pumpkin muffin recipe that I have and not light like a cupcake. I think this is probably due to the texture of the pumpkin added and can't be overcome. But if someone has another fluffy recipe let me know!

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon coarse salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
* 1 cup granulated sugar
* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
* 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and eggs. Add dry ingredients, and whisk until smooth. Whisk in pumpkin puree.
3. Divide batter evenly among liners, filling each about halfway. Bake until tops spring back when touched, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pans once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.

Then topped them with this
* 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
* 1/4 C (half stick) butter, room temperature
* 1 t vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
* 1 t cinnamon (add more to taste)
* 2-3 C powdered sugar (add more or less to make it a stiffness that you like)

1. Mix cream cheese and butter well.
2. Add vanilla and cinnamon.
3. Add powdered sugar.

• Locked thread