Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]

Timo posted:

So what's the deal with fondant? It seems like some people peel it off before eating the cake, but others leave it on?

I only make and use marshmallow fondant. "Real" fondant is pretty gross and I definitely peel it off before I eat cake. Marshmallow fondant is nice and sugary and you can make it chewy and thick or less chewy and thin. I've never had complaints and I've never seen anyone peel it off. I love the stuff.

Today, I tried icing a cake upside down. It was a little weird and I definitely didn't do a great job. I beat my icing for far too long and it was too airy and full of holes. Also, it was hard to get the icing to be really smooth. Oh well. I think with more practice, the results could be really amazing. The cake:

Click here for the full 448x604 image.

Added dragees for fun:

A friend came over and couldn't stay for cake so I sent him home with a cupcake in a jar:

All packaged:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I have been a busy bee. I made a carrot cake for my aunt's father in law's birthday. :v: His name is Jerry, he is awesome.

The cake was freaking delicious, I adapted this recipe and it turned out extremely well. Not too sweet, ridiculously moist.

It's carrot cake with some crushed pineapple inside, with orange zest cream cheese frosting. Did more ghetto piping with ziploc bags and melted chocolate. Lots of little imperfections but I didn't have all the poo poo I needed to make it... :words:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

:gizz: vvv the moneyshot

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Who needs cake mix. :smug:

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:
I'm so happy this thread is here. I've been experimenting and made my first 3d shaped cake a few months ago for my birthday (partially inspired by SA's love/hate of bees).

Underneath the brown is chocolate cake and under the yellow is white cake.

The wing started breaking because I am too dumb to temper chocolate and the weather was retarded that day, which is why there are some toothpicks sticking out. Boo.

i miss new wave
Aug 28, 2009

Caminare entre las piedras hasta que pase el temblor.

exactduckwoman posted:

They're usually 8oz blocks in the U.S. Google tells me that's about 227 grams. Cheesecake DOES take a heap of cream cheese; the recipe I often use takes 40 oz (=5 sticks of cream cheese).

Yes this is correct. Sorry I haven't checked this recipe in awhile. The sticks are the 8 oz variety, you can also get them in 8 oz tubs. This cheesecake takes less than a lot of recipes I have tried...it ends up being not so dense.

grumples
May 29, 2004
naughtyness on legs
Thanks for your help, everyone.

I just baked a cheesecake brownie. I didn't have the right size square tin, so it's more like a cake, but anyway... It's got a layer of brownie on the bottom and a layer of cheesecake on the top. Waiting for it to cool down...

chuchumeister
Jul 23, 2007

Stuffed with dericious cream for your pleasure!

Waffle Grid posted:

That is so ridiculously cute. I love it :3:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you guys get the cakes in the shapes you want? Do you buy pans in those shapes, make a "normal" shaped cake and cut it into the shape you want, or what?

Thanks! :)

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

HookShot posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you guys get the cakes in the shapes you want? Do you buy pans in those shapes, make a "normal" shaped cake and cut it into the shape you want, or what?

I don't want to speak for everyone, but I believe most people bake 'normal' cakes and then 'sculpt' or carve the cake into the shape they want. You can use a large serrated knife (I like a good bread knife).

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:

HookShot posted:

Yeah from what I've seen on TV (same way I made my cake) is by baking normal cake layers and stacking them with a bit of icing to glue them together, then take a bread knife to cut it into the shape you want.

Gets messy with all the crumbs though!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Waffle Grid posted:

Yeah from what I've seen on TV (same way I made my cake) is by baking normal cake layers and stacking them with a bit of icing to glue them together, then take a bread knife to cut it into the shape you want.

Gets messy with all the crumbs though!

This is the best technique because you get to eat all the excess cake shavings.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Perfect, thanks guys :)

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...
This is a bit random, but it's that time of year when I'm starting to want everything pumpkin. Especially pumpkin bars/cake. The problem? I recently moved to Scotland and I can't find canned pumpkin anywhere. I can't even find whole pumpkins. Can any UK goons help me out in my quest to find accessible pumpkin so I can satisfy my craving for pumpkin bars?

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!

justasmile posted:

This is a bit random, but it's that time of year when I'm starting to want everything pumpkin. Especially pumpkin bars/cake. The problem? I recently moved to Scotland and I can't find canned pumpkin anywhere. I can't even find whole pumpkins. Can any UK goons help me out in my quest to find accessible pumpkin so I can satisfy my craving for pumpkin bars?

This place will have canned pumpkin in early October, and most supermarkets should start selling fresh pumpkins in the next week or two.

EDIT: If you have a Waitrose or Marks & Spencer near you, try there. They had pumpkins when I went recently.

PepperSinclaire fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 24, 2009

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

justasmile posted:

Oh goodness, I hope your quest for pumpkin is fruitful! It was a little hard to find a can or two out here in Dallas (which is odd since I usually see them year round). Be sure to post the outcomes on here, I have to be one of the biggest pumpkin confection fans out there. Pumpkin chiffon birthday pie, anyone? Mmmm. But I could use some new recipes to try.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
So, I'm entering an Iron Chef-like competition - only for cupcakes. This month's ingredient is pumpkin, and I'm a little stumped on how to make my cakes stand out. Here's some ideas:

* "Pumpkin S'more" Cupcake - Moist chocolate/gram cracker cake with pumpkin marshmallow on top

* Pumpkin cake with an orange glaze

* Pumpkin and pecan cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting

Oh, and they all have to be decorated "spooky" - I'm still working on that one.

Any opinions? Suggestions? Ideas? Recipes?

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

i miss new wave posted:

Yes this is correct. Sorry I haven't checked this recipe in awhile. The sticks are the 8 oz variety, you can also get them in 8 oz tubs. This cheesecake takes less than a lot of recipes I have tried...it ends up being not so dense.

Dumb question. I really like my cheesecake dense! Yet when I make my cheesecakes, I'm never quite sure whether to mix the eggs a lot in the batter. I was told that when I mix the eggs in more and more, it's going to get puffy and ruined when baked? I really screwed up my last one. :(

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

PezMaster posted:

So, I'm entering an Iron Chef-like competition - only for cupcakes. This month's ingredient is pumpkin, and I'm a little stumped on how to make my cakes stand out. Here's some ideas:

* "Pumpkin S'more" Cupcake - Moist chocolate/gram cracker cake with pumpkin marshmallow on top

* Pumpkin cake with an orange glaze

* Pumpkin and pecan cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting

Oh, and they all have to be decorated "spooky" - I'm still working on that one.

Any opinions? Suggestions? Ideas? Recipes?

The s'more one sounds ABSOLUTELY amazing! For decorating, maybe try to make some marshmallow ghosts/pumpkins? Like a pumpkin patch! More graham cracker can be added to the top for a mulch/hay/fall leaf sort of feel.

Maybe try something with some more spices, like ginger and nutmeg, even coffee. You can arrange all the cupcakes together to make a sort of scene, not quite like a cupcake cake where they're iced together, but just grouped around each other. Also, the cupcake paper borders are pretty cool, like these:

http://www.paperorchidstationery.com/modules/cart/navigate.php/nav_id/775

They've got just on the first page a fancy filigree and spider webs (page 3 has more Halloween), but I've also seen picket fences that would be cute.

Anodynia
Nov 25, 2007

Ok, ok, I know this isn't cake, but it didn't really seem to fit into the Dinner thread, and I really wanted to share this.

I baked some cookies the other day and decided to have a little play around with royal icing for the first time. I didn't have any meringue powder at hand so it was just icing sugar and water, but I was happy with the results considering it's my first time. It's mostly set.

Ginger sugar cookies with lemon royal icing, cachous for fun.

Click here for the full 401x604 image.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

paisleyfox posted:

The s'more one sounds ABSOLUTELY amazing! For decorating, maybe try to make some marshmallow ghosts/pumpkins? Like a pumpkin patch! More graham cracker can be added to the top for a mulch/hay/fall leaf sort of feel.

Maybe try something with some more spices, like ginger and nutmeg, even coffee. You can arrange all the cupcakes together to make a sort of scene, not quite like a cupcake cake where they're iced together, but just grouped around each other. Also, the cupcake paper borders are pretty cool, like these:

http://www.paperorchidstationery.com/modules/cart/navigate.php/nav_id/775

They've got just on the first page a fancy filigree and spider webs (page 3 has more Halloween), but I've also seen picket fences that would be cute.
I took your advice to play with pumpkin and spices and TADA! Spicy Cayenne-Pumpkin Cupcakes are born!

My icing master (aka the boyfriend) is adding the frosting now (cinnamon cream cheese frosting, mind you), and I'll be decorating it with little skulls and flowers a la Dia de los Muerdos. The cupcake has lovely flavour and a little cayenne kick at the end.

I think I'll do the s'more cupcake next - I'm pretty excited about that one. Also, those paper borders are to die for. I could go crazy with them. Thanks for sharing!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

PezMaster posted:

I took your advice to play with pumpkin and spices and TADA! Spicy Cayenne-Pumpkin Cupcakes are born!

My icing master (aka the boyfriend) is adding the frosting now (cinnamon cream cheese frosting, mind you), and I'll be decorating it with little skulls and flowers a la Dia de los Muerdos. The cupcake has lovely flavour and a little cayenne kick at the end.

I think I'll do the s'more cupcake next - I'm pretty excited about that one. Also, those paper borders are to die for. I could go crazy with them. Thanks for sharing!

Those cupcakes look lovely however the Mexican part of me shakes my fist at you and tells you it's Muertos.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

/\/\/\ Sorry - a horrible mistype on my part. Here's something that might make up for it?

(The cake had a real kick to it and was enjoyed by all)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

PezMaster posted:

/\/\/\ Sorry - a horrible mistype on my part. Here's something that might make up for it?

(The cake had a real kick to it and was enjoyed by all)

Those are gorgeous and also could you share the recipe? They sound even better than they look!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

exactduckwoman posted:

Those are gorgeous and also could you share the recipe? They sound even better than they look!

But of course! And there's more pictures up on the Cakery blog here, if you'd like.

quote:

Dias de los Muertos Cupcakes
Cayenne-Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Buttercream

Ingredients
1 stick of unsalted butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 eggs
1/3 cup yogurt with 1 tsp vanilla mixed in
1 1/3 cup pumpkin

Preheat oven to 350.

Sift or wisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cayenne, ginger, nutmeg, all spice, and salt black pepper. Set aside.

Cream together butter and both sugars with a mixer until nice and fluffy (around 5 minutes). Add eggs. Mix in yogurt and dry ingredients, alternating between the two. Add in the pumpkin.

Spoon into cupcake papers and cook in oven for about 20 minutes (or when your cake tester comes out clean). Leave out to cool before frosting.

Frosting Ingredients:
16 ounces cream cheese
1 stick unsalted butter
2 cups of icing sugar (plus more - just in case you want your icing thicker)
1/4 cup real maple syrup
4 tsp cinnamon (plus more, if you add more icing sugar)

Put all ingredients (room temperature) in a mixer and mix until thick and yummy. Tint to any colour you like (or just leave it the natural cinnamon colour) and add to the cupcakes. Decorate accordingly (I'd suggest marigolds, sugar skulls, and lots of lovely bright colour!)

Please try them and let me know how they turn out. I'm always up for some recipe fine-tuning.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

PezMaster posted:

But of course! And there's more pictures up on the Cakery blog here, if you'd like.

Please try them and let me know how they turn out. I'm always up for some recipe fine-tuning.

Bookmarked! Thank you. I'll definitely try these out for Halloween.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Awesome, I'm glad you got a great idea! I'm actually looking forward to trying these myself as well (ESPECIALLY with cinnamon cream cheese icing!)

I'm really waiting for those s'mores ones, though. :allears:

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

paisleyfox posted:

Awesome, I'm glad you got a great idea! I'm actually looking forward to trying these myself as well (ESPECIALLY with cinnamon cream cheese icing!)

I'm really waiting for those s'mores ones, though. :allears:

The s'mores will come out next week most likely. I've got to fool around with the pumpkin marshmallow recipe first. (if anyone has their own amazing marshmallow recipe, let me know! I'm still learning about this stuff). This week I'm constructing a llama-with-a-scarf cake. It will be rainbow inside :3:

Just a side note, the Dias de los Muertos cupcakes just got featured on Cupcake Takes the Cake! Huzzah!

\/\/\/ You would be my hero if you made those pumpkin marshmallows, stuffed your mouth full of them, and then came back with your findings.

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 29, 2009

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I tried the GWS recipe for marshmallows, though found I liked Alton's recipe just a little better. As for adding the pumpkin...mmm...

Dunno how well this will work, but a quick Google got me this:
http://candy.about.com/od/marshmallowrecipes/r/pumpkin_mallows.htm

Though I might be tempted to try these out on Thursday. If you want me to be your guinea pig, I suppose you could twist my arm. ;)

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

/\/\ Any luck with the marshmallow?

I'm hands deep in the llama cake (I'll post pictures this weekend) - but I still have cupcakes on the brain. Another contest has come up for October, this one's theme is Music. Beatles and other classic songs come to mind first (Especially Killer Queen and Yellow Submarine) - I don't want anything too easy (like B.A.N.A.N.A.S). Then perhaps I wondered if I should do some classic music - something like Moonlight Sonata.

Are there any amazing songs (that could inspire an amazing cupcake) that I should consider?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I just got on my four days off, so I'll go to the store today to get the things I'm missing (as well as, you know, real food!) and try it out today! :D

Also, I'm a sucker for anything Queen, so that'll always get my vote (like, on an unrelated note, last night's Glee. That was awesome.) 80s songs are also pretty fun to play with, as well as Barenaked Ladies.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

I've been asked to make my sister's wedding cake. I'm excited and overwhelmed at the same time. My sister lives 500 miles away and I'm only getting there in early morning, the day of the wedding. I have to attend the courthouse ceremony in the morning and the reception at 6pm in the evening. Sometime between all that, I have to make her a wedding cake :suicide:

Think I can get away with transporting my cake layers on the 500 mile trip with me? It would save me a LOT of time and I could just make the buttercream and fillings there and assemble in between the ceremony and reception... I would transport them double wrapped in plastic wrap and in a cooler.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I would absolutely make the cake layers ahead of time! You would not have enough time to do all the baking, cooling, shaping, and decorating. They should transport just fine, just be sure they are 100% cooled before wrapping and transporting and you should be golden.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I made some burger cupcakes. I made some with brownies and some with choc-biscuits but I didn't get a chance to get a photo of the brownie ones.

I'm terrible at presentation so hopefully the next batch will be a little better (the one on the right slid over a little)

edit: damnit, that's the wrong size image. :saddowns:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

jennyinstereo posted:

I've been asked to make my sister's wedding cake. I'm excited and overwhelmed at the same time. My sister lives 500 miles away and I'm only getting there in early morning, the day of the wedding. I have to attend the courthouse ceremony in the morning and the reception at 6pm in the evening. Sometime between all that, I have to make her a wedding cake :suicide:

Think I can get away with transporting my cake layers on the 500 mile trip with me? It would save me a LOT of time and I could just make the buttercream and fillings there and assemble in between the ceremony and reception... I would transport them double wrapped in plastic wrap and in a cooler.

Everything needs to be made ahead. Buttercream and the cakes can be made ahead and frozen and the filling might be able to as well depending on what you use. I would even go as far as trimming and splitting your layers ahead of time as well. You'll be lucky to find half an hour to finish so you need to be as mised as possible.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

Psychobabble posted:

Everything needs to be made ahead. Buttercream and the cakes can be made ahead and frozen and the filling might be able to as well depending on what you use. I would even go as far as trimming and splitting your layers ahead of time as well. You'll be lucky to find half an hour to finish so you need to be as mised as possible.

That's the plan. I've never transported a cake before so I'm nervous about that too. I've got lots of practicing to do!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

jennyinstereo posted:

I couldn't imagine doing this! Good luck to you!

Can you make buttercream and the fillings before hand as well? As long as you put everything in really tightly sealed tupperware and keep it on ice, I don't see why it won't last.

Make sure you document this experience and takes lots of pictures! I want to know what it's like before I offer to do the same for one of my friends.

\/\/ I love this. For so many reasons.

PezMaster fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 2, 2009

physics geek
Oct 8, 2002

piep piep kleiner physicsgeek
My roommate and I saw KISS at the California Mid State Fair this summer, so for her birthday I made her this:

Click here for the full 459x612 image.

I wasn't extremely happy with the way the hair turned out, but there was already so much frosting I didn't want to add more. I still think it's pretty cool!

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

PezMaster posted:

I couldn't imagine doing this! Good luck to you!

Can you make buttercream and the fillings before hand as well? As long as you put everything in really tightly sealed tupperware and keep it on ice, I don't see why it won't last.

Make sure you document this experience and takes lots of pictures! I want to know what it's like before I offer to do the same for one of my friends.

I'll most likely make all fillings, frosting, cake layers etc and bring them with me in coolers. The only thing I'm nervous about is transporting the cake and assembling it at the hall. Even if I assemble it beforehand, I'm nervous about transporting a stacked cake. I'm not worried about it tipping over or anything. I'm worried that somehow, I'll dent the sides of the cake and have to re-smooth the buttercream at the hall.

Or, if I assemble at the hall, I worry that I'll do a bad job of stacking the layers and that it will be a huge ugly mess. Oh the joys of making a wedding cake for your twin sister! I will definitely document it though!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Llama Cake!

It tasted like rainbow and delicious.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

jennyinstereo posted:

I'll most likely make all fillings, frosting, cake layers etc and bring them with me in coolers. The only thing I'm nervous about is transporting the cake and assembling it at the hall. Even if I assemble it beforehand, I'm nervous about transporting a stacked cake. I'm not worried about it tipping over or anything. I'm worried that somehow, I'll dent the sides of the cake and have to re-smooth the buttercream at the hall.

Or, if I assemble at the hall, I worry that I'll do a bad job of stacking the layers and that it will be a huge ugly mess. Oh the joys of making a wedding cake for your twin sister! I will definitely document it though!

Transport the layers separately. Transporting the wedding cake I made (above) for 38 miles through the Texas hill country in the summer was the most stressful thing I've ever done... then I had to put it together at the venue! Glad I got them to choose coconut cake though so the coconut hid most imperfections.

Psychobabble has it right. Prepare the cake layers as much as you can and transport them frozen in their pans. Get a friend to help you stack the cake. Have all of the dowels cut ahead of time for each of the layers. Don't know the decorations of the cake are but make extra and use them to hide bumps or smudges. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoBeau
Jan 17, 2008
La Beauté du Sinistré

PezMaster posted:

Llama Cake!

It tasted like rainbow and delicious.

This cake makes me happy. I think it's the icing "YAY" that does it.

• Locked thread