Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
RE: Hellboy

Holy poo poo, that's not a cake, it's art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
Love the ring cake Big McHuge! Especially the lettering. Getting it level and even is a pain in the butt (but maybe it's just me, I don't have the best penmanship to begin with). A tip on red frosting, make it a couple days ahead of time and get it to a really dark pink and then let it sit and it should darken a bit. Also, gel coloring will make it easier to get darker colors (if you haven't tried that).

Not a cake, I know, but I played with royal icing for my Christmas cookies this year and I kind of like how they came out.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

flutterbyblue posted:

Love the ring cake Big McHuge! Especially the lettering. Getting it level and even is a pain in the butt (but maybe it's just me, I don't have the best penmanship to begin with). A tip on red frosting, make it a couple days ahead of time and get it to a really dark pink and then let it sit and it should darken a bit. Also, gel coloring will make it easier to get darker colors (if you haven't tried that).

Thanks for the tip. In retrospect, what I should have done was made separate cookies for each part of the eye, then pieced them together on the cake, letting the dark frosting underneath create the lines of definition in it.

Pringles Monster
Nov 1, 2012
For Christmas dinner, I ended up making these Black Forest Eclairs (not strictly cake but still). The surprisingly challenging bit was to make the eclairs all puffy, when I had no such problems making profiteroles in the past. I think I may have scaled down the choux recipe to just one egg and so this might have reduced the amount of moisture and steam inside the oven to puff up the eclairs. Ended up needing to soak a sheet of baking paper in water to place in the oven just to stop these eclairs from turning into shrunken churros.

Pringles Monster fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 26, 2014

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Devil's food cake, raspberry gelee filling, chocolate butter cream, chocolate mirror glaze, chocolate transfer sheet decorations.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Very elegant! I like it. How do you do mirror glaze? Is there a buttercream crumb coat and you pour the glaze on from there, or is it more complex?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

flutterbyblue posted:

Very elegant! I like it. How do you do mirror glaze? Is there a buttercream crumb coat and you pour the glaze on from there, or is it more complex?

Exactly that well a little thicker than a normal crumb coat.
Then you put the cake on a rack and pour the glaze over it and let it set.
I elevate it off the rack a bit so the glaze doesn't stick to it.

Here's the recipe:

3 sheets gelatin
150 grams Heavy cream
225 grams Granulated sugar
180 grams Water
75 grams cocoa powder

Bloom gelatin in cold water
Combine other ingredients in a double boiler
Add bloomed gelatin and heat till dissolved
Strain cool until it thickens slightly before pouring over cake

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Awesome! I'll have to give that a shot sometime. I've done some ganache, but not a proper glaze yet.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Devil's food cake, raspberry gelee filling, chocolate butter cream, chocolate mirror glaze, chocolate transfer sheet decorations.

That looks so amazing. That sheen. :stare:

Jinglebrained
May 28, 2014

I made a german chocolate ewok cake recently. The ears came out crooked but it was a fun attempt. ;P

That Hellboy cake is impressive!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Haha, that's amazing. He's even wearing glasses.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

My first attempt at buttercream frosting. It's a pistachio layer cake.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I had two birthdays this month. My 13 year old daughter who wanted a cat from japanese cartoon, and my son who turned 1 and got balloons and circus animals.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Nice job. Good looking Totoro.

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 21, 2015

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Just came across this vid today for a really cool safari animal cake, inspired by Lion King.

I think my next cake I bring anywhere will be inspired by the animal patterns here, but I don't like the cheetah/leopard as much as the tiger/zebra.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone have any good Butter-cream recipes? I've been making one from GlobalSugarArt but it just doesn't taste right to me, my mom loves it however. The yellow cake recipe he has is fantastic though.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Anyone have any good Butter-cream recipes? I've been making one from GlobalSugarArt but it just doesn't taste right to me, my mom loves it however. The yellow cake recipe he has is fantastic though.

Make a Swiss buttercream. Pretty easy and always delicious. Most recipes online will be the same ratio but Martha Stewart never steered me wrong.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Mother's day cake! Lychee rosewater mousse with raspberries and white chocolate. I screwed up the white chocolate ganache that I'd planned on covering the cake with so I had to cover my shame up with flowers and chocolate.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
have you ever tried adding some lime and cilantro to your cake? It sounds crazy but it is very tastey and great way tyo give your cake a "latin" kick!

kitten
Feb 6, 2003
Nooner also posted to add queso and cilantro to chilli in that thread. Someone responded that he's put that in ten threads this morning. I have a hard time randomly adding cilantro to anything since there's a percentage of the population that tastes it as soap.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
lime and cilantro can be used to lend a "latin" kick to many different dishes

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

B-day cake for a guest at work today.
Lemon cake, lemon curd, Italian butter cream, white chocolate mirror glaze

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I made my first non-sheet birthday cake for my birthday today. Chocolate with home-made peanut butter buttercream, topped with oreos and pecans. I tried to do it as neatly as possible, but I need more practice! I also forgot to take a picture before starting to slice into it.

But it was moist and delicious and not too sweet.

We also smoked a pork shoulder.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 16, 2015

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I did a thing!

Yellow cake with strawberry filling and some swiss buttercream rosettes. :3: First time doing rosettes on non cupcakes, some of them are off angled and wonky shaped but I think it turned out pretty good. I just dont want to cut into it now :ohdear:.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

B-day cake for a guest at work today.
Lemon cake, lemon curd, Italian butter cream, white chocolate mirror glaze

What's your recipe for the white chocolate glaze? Is it similar to the chocolate one you posted earlier?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

yoshesque posted:

What's your recipe for the white chocolate glaze? Is it similar to the chocolate one you posted earlier?

Similar but a little different I'll put the recipe here tomorrow when I'm at work.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

White chocolate mirror glaze

85g cream
20g water
15g corn syrup
130g melted white chocolate
2g gelatin
12g neutral oil

Bloom gelatin
Melt white chocolate, add heated cream, corn syrup, and water
Allow to melt completely
Add bloomed gelatin and stir till dissolved
Add oil last, chill until proper thickness to flow over cake

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

White chocolate mirror glaze

85g cream
20g water
15g corn syrup
130g melted white chocolate
2g gelatin
12g neutral oil

Bloom gelatin
Melt white chocolate, add heated cream, corn syrup, and water
Allow to melt completely
Add bloomed gelatin and stir till dissolved
Add oil last, chill until proper thickness to flow over cake

Cool, thanks! Gonna try this on the weekend

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I learned that I do better when I don't plan out the design beforehand and just kind of wing it. I suck at icing roses. Fondant is way easier.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
This was a birthday cake for my husband. You're supposed to use halved maraschino cherries for the lights and apparently there was a huge cherry shortage or something because after ten different stores I settled on dyed marshmallows.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
That looks nice. How long did it take you to do all those stars?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NarwhalParty posted:

This was a birthday cake for my husband. You're supposed to use halved maraschino cherries for the lights and apparently there was a huge cherry shortage or something because after ten different stores I settled on dyed marshmallows.

I wonder if the cherry shortage is related to the cherry company in New York whose owner killed himself as authorities were moving in on his huge pot operation hidden in the cherry factory.

http://gawker.com/cherry-company-owner-commits-suicide-during-factory-dru-1687953677

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

That looks nice. How long did it take you to do all those stars?

It was actually the easiest and fastest cake I've ever done. It's just a bit monotonous and you have to keep attention to where the colors change.

That cherry stuff is deep.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

NarwhalParty posted:

My mom made me this cake when I was 6. Tin foil and all. Awesome.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
This was my first cheesecake and it turned out delicious. It was Reeses flavor and I made the Batman symbol out of color flow icing.
Black Forest is my favorite

NarwhalParty fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 15, 2015

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
How about some smörgåstårta (sandwich cake)? Sorry about the bad phonecam shots.

Vegetarian, made by my fiance:

Smoked salmon, we ordered this one from a bakery, we had too much to do for the twins birthday party:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Vegetarian, made by my fiance:

Heritage, not hate.

Dori
Jan 14, 2005
Abducted by sheep
Yay a cake decorating thread. I haven't made cakes in a while but then we hosted a cult themed murder mystery party on the weekend and I made a Necronomicake.
I am super pleased with how it all turned out and a bit sad that we actually ate it instead of having it sit around for a while to just look at.

Here's a link to step by step progress if anyone is interested http://imgur.com/a/vV4w5

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Need a last minute cake idea. I think I want to do something with a ganache topping, but I don't know what I want under the ganache. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ganached a cake. A few minor hiccups that necessitated doing the chocolate chips, but overall I'm happy and I'm sure it will do it's job of being way too much chocolate.

Fake edit: Hershey's perfectly chocolate chocolate cake recipe, the accompanying frosting, ganache (made with hersheys semi sweet chips because I got a theme here) and then coated in same chips. And hazelnut piroulines.

Quadruple chocolate I guess?

• Locked thread