Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sam_I_Am
Feb 4, 2007

I do not like your green cuisine. I find your green cuisine obscene.

Pragmatica posted:

As a side note, I was just offered the cake decorator position at the local Walmart here in town. They just had someone put in their notice, and I have had to fill in for call-in decorators a couple time. Prepare for more cake photos from me soon!

This is awesome. Definitely do post pics. I'd even be interested to see behind-the-scenes at the walmart bake-shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
I'm getting ready for a crazy end of the week. My roommate, two really good friends, boyfriend, and sister all have their birthdays within three days from each other. And of those birthday, two are 21st. I'll post my cakes in the next couple of weeks. So far, I'm combining several people since they're having joint birthday parties, so its one red velvet cake with a recipe I'm super excited to try, and the other is an oreo ice cream cake.

I meant to ask, I ordered some icingimage like you did Charmmi and looked through their instructions. I can't use an icingimage with ice cream cake can i?

The Big One
Aug 22, 2007

climb aboard the murder train
I have to make some two-tier cupcakes next month. The two layers need to be circular, so instead of trimming down a shitload of cupcakes, I thought a better solution would be to bake a few 18" sheets of cake and use round cookie cutters to get a more even shape. Will this fail horribly?

Polly Amorous
Feb 28, 2008

"And if they don't dance, well they're no friends of mine."

The Big One posted:

I have to make some two-tier cupcakes next month. The two layers need to be circular, so instead of trimming down a shitload of cupcakes, I thought a better solution would be to bake a few 18" sheets of cake and use round cookie cutters to get a more even shape. Will this fail horribly?

You could just cut the cupcakes in half (from side to side) then put filling in the middle? If the layers have to be different flavors then just bake half of them that flavor and switch the tops. Or is there something I'm missing? Tell us more, layered cupcakes sound delicious!

The Big One
Aug 22, 2007

climb aboard the murder train

Polly Amorous posted:

You could just cut the cupcakes in half (from side to side) then put filling in the middle? If the layers have to be different flavors then just bake half of them that flavor and switch the tops. Or is there something I'm missing? Tell us more, layered cupcakes sound delicious!

My main issue with cupcakes is that they're not straight from top to bottom (and that I'd have to bake a ton of them). The idea is that they look like mini wedding cakes. This photo is about what they'd look like at the end.

In all likelihood it would work just fine, but a friend thought the idea was absurd and the cake wouldn't be stable enough to cut straight. Then again, I'm not sure she's ever baked anything, so I thought I'd get better opinions.

artichokeyou
Jul 1, 2010

quote:

In all likelihood it would work just fine, but a friend thought the idea was absurd and the cake wouldn't be stable enough to cut straight.

As long as you use a recipe that is dense enough, I think your idea of using round cookie cutters to make the cakes will work out a lot better than trying to use cupcakes. Also, chilling or freezing your cake before hand will make it easier to cut out the circles without the cake crumbling too much. I think this process would go much faster and smoother than trying to trim down a ton of cupcakes.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

The Pillowman posted:

I meant to ask, I ordered some icingimage like you did Charmmi and looked through their instructions. I can't use an icingimage with ice cream cake can i?

I believe you can as long as the icing isn't rock hard.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I placed the image on a layer of whipped cream. The instructions actually recommend buttercream or storebought icing as the foundation, and if it's on a wetter frosting like whipped cream it might bleed a bit if it sits for a long time. I have not used it on straight ice cream but the film was not impacted by sitting in a freezer after being transferred onto the cake. If your icing sheet comes with extra bits on the edges like mine did you can always experiment a little scrap.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

Charmmi posted:

I placed the image on a layer of whipped cream. The instructions actually recommend buttercream or storebought icing as the foundation, and if it's on a wetter frosting like whipped cream it might bleed a bit if it sits for a long time. I have not used it on straight ice cream but the film was not impacted by sitting in a freezer after being transferred onto the cake. If your icing sheet comes with extra bits on the edges like mine did you can always experiment a little scrap.

Thank you so much. I called in today to ask, and they ended up looking up image. It's a threadless shirt design that my boyfriend owns which is a clown throwing up rainbows in a toilet. Needless to say, it got a little awkward on the phone.

HedwigSchmidt
Sep 28, 2006
The origin of love
I made a cake a couple of weeks ago and decorated it with flowers that I made out of fondant. The cake tasted good but it was denser then I wanted it to be and I'm still looking for a really good Buttercream icing recipe.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Icingimages are, sadly, already obsolete. Observe: http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2010/09/augmented_reality_cake.html

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
I have a newbie cake making question. I told my mother in law I would make her a birthday cake. I'm not good at baking but I was thinking of making a Red velvet cake. My question is would chocolate ganache be to much with it? Any ideas are welcome. Although no cream cheese icing as we aren't really fond of it. Hope you don't mind I'll be asking a lot of question over the next couple days as her birthday is Saturday!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Vixenella posted:

I have a newbie cake making question. I told my mother in law I would make her a birthday cake. I'm not good at baking but I was thinking of making a Red velvet cake. My question is would chocolate ganache be to much with it? Any ideas are welcome. Although no cream cheese icing as we aren't really fond of it. Hope you don't mind I'll be asking a lot of question over the next couple days as her birthday is Saturday!

A cooked flour/buttercream frosting is the original tradition anyway. :colbert: Do it.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Vixenella posted:

Pff, never. Red velvet is such a mild chocolate flavor anyway, go for it.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Boy, do I have a goony cupcake for you guys.

Coconut cake with Amp Energy Drink curd and a seven minute frosting. So loving goony. But, seriously, they taste pretty awesome. Even the little old Muslim ladies I work with loved them. I put them out in the staff room at 8 and they were gone by 10.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

tekopp posted:

I made some cakes for my daughters "Welcome to the world"-party this weekend.

This is gorgeous and very chic, it doesn't look overworked like a lot of cakes end up looking.

Did you use one of those giant doughnut-style cake tins or carve from a normal round cake?

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Am currently working on my first red velvet cake.

it is green, because I did not have enough red food colouring.

Also, I'm trying the traditional frosting recipe, and I'm holding my breath. Not sure how it will turn out.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

The Pillowman posted:

Am currently working on my first red velvet cake.

it is green, because I did not have enough red food colouring.

Also, I'm trying the traditional frosting recipe, and I'm holding my breath. Not sure how it will turn out.

Then it's not red velvet cake now, is it?

Good luck!

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
The icing worked out. i was afraid it was too sweet at first, but it's actually really awesome. I'll post the picture in a little bit, and the icing recipe if you guys are interested, especially the newbie with the red velvet icing question!

Edit: so, it came out dry, and I know why. My recipe calls for half an hour at 350, but my oven sucks rear end, so i had to put it in for an hour, which dried it out. I know I need to increase the heat, but do I increase it to 375 or 400?

The Pillowman fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 19, 2010

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

madlilnerd posted:

This is gorgeous and very chic, it doesn't look overworked like a lot of cakes end up looking.

Did you use one of those giant doughnut-style cake tins or carve from a normal round cake?

Thank you! I used a cake tin with a hole in it.
The cake is a poundcake with no eggs, and rosewater buttercream and chocolate ganache.

Soshi
Apr 25, 2004
Make a Charisma Check!
Pumpkin time! I made pumpkin pie cupcakes with maple cream cheese icing. SOOO GOOD! I just love how they came out.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
^^ They look just like pie! Pumpkin pie is one of my favorite foods, and those just look so drat :3:

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Oh my goodness that is adorable! :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

SO CUTE! Recipe please? I LOVE pumpkin pie, but a lot of my friends don't share the same sentiment, so maybe I can trick them with cupcakes. :3:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The Pillowman posted:

The icing worked out. i was afraid it was too sweet at first, but it's actually really awesome. I'll post the picture in a little bit, and the icing recipe if you guys are interested, especially the newbie with the red velvet icing question!

Edit: so, it came out dry, and I know why. My recipe calls for half an hour at 350, but my oven sucks rear end, so i had to put it in for an hour, which dried it out. I know I need to increase the heat, but do I increase it to 375 or 400?

Did you preheat?

Did you open the oven door every two minutes during baking?

If the answers are yes and no, then your oven is not calibrated properly. Get an oven thermometer and experiment until you figure out what you have to set it on to get it to 350.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008
Wroughtirony, I ended up making two batches of cookies later in the week where the first batch at 350 was bad, but the second at 400 was perfect. I upped the temperature to 400 and the cake came out perfect in 30 minutes. Essentially, the oven is not well calibrated, about 50 degrees not well calibrated.

Soshi
Apr 25, 2004
Make a Charisma Check!
The Recipe is on my Blog: http://domesticsugar.blogspot.com/2010/09/pumpkin-pie-cupcakes.html

I love these because they are not pie... one of my co-workers was shocked to see they were cupcakes.. she's like, "MINI PIES." It does has an after-taste of pie, but is fluffy, not creamy. I used real pumpkin that I baked and mashed. I hate using canned pumpkin! Never ever use it! :( I got the idea from the cherry-pie cupcakes I've seen from... Hello Cupcake? I figured it had to work for this too!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Not anywhere near the same level as everyone else here, but I do enjoy baking cakes. For my friend's 21st I baked up a rich mississippi mud cake, and tried dodgily to draw a picture, using only the tools I had around the house and stubborness instead of real methods.

Based on :nws: (penis) https://wi.somethingawful.com/0f/0f39b167e7509f2091381b14fadbe9c8dedfb21c.jpg from http://oglaf.com/honor/

She loved it, which was probably the most important thing, but I do wish to improve. Are there any good guides on the methods and tools normally used, and if so, why aren't they in the OP?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Not technically a cake, but I didn't see a 'tart' thread, so...

Click here for the full 1802x1352 image.

Had plums, raspberries & a shitton of pastry cream to get rid of = plum & raspberry tart with a plum glaze.
Awful picture & colours came out horrible, but it was the best of the bunch. Now I only have 1.5 more quarts of pastry cream to use up!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I occasionally get bored, so I made cupcakes for my little sister at college:

I'll probably make hamburger or drumstick cupcakes to go with these before I send them off to her... I saw pictures of them somewhere on the internet a while ago (that's where I got the idea).

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I am looking for a gluten-free chocolate/coffee cake with a complimentary chocolate (preferred) icing. Any suggestions?

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I'll probably make hamburger or drumstick cupcakes to go with these before I send them off to her... I saw pictures of them somewhere on the internet a while ago (that's where I got the idea).

How are you going to send them without ruining them?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Pooptron2003 posted:

How are you going to send them without ruining them?

My travels took me to the Uni today, so I just handed them off to her roommate.

\/\/\/ Glad to know my penis is largely ceremonial then :gonk:

...but thanks for the compliment :)

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 28, 2010

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

...you are the BEST big sister EVER, did you know that? :3:

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
This delicious cake was cooked up for my girlfriends birthday.

Gyardos used bite, it was super effective! (Though sadly for the Magikarps, splash... wasn't)

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.

My travels took me to the Uni today, so I just handed them off to her roommate.

\/\/\/ Glad to know my penis is largely ceremonial then :gonk:

...but thanks for the compliment :)

Your user name should have been a hint, but that just makes so much cuter!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Wow, all of the cakes here look awesome. I have a question, I hope this is the best place to ask. I'm making a cheesecake for my friends birthday, and all of the cheesecakes I've made before have been garden variety, just plain cheesecake. I'm not worried about the content, I'm up for anything (blueberry, strawberry, chocolate, vanilla) but does anyone know a really nice looking cheesecake recipe? I just really want it to look good. I am really newbish when it comes to baking, but whenever I start doing it I have a ton of fun. I'll post after pics if I get a good suggestion!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's mine. reposting from earlier in the thread.

FlashGordonRamsay posted:

Since we're sharing cake recipes, I figured I'd repost my family cheesecake recipe here. It's very creamy/custardy, and not at all like a traditional new york cheesecake.

Crust

9 graham crackers
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar

Crush the crackers (I do it in a zip lock baggie with a rolling pin). Stir with sugar and melted butter until well mixed. Press in to 9 inch springform pan and bake for 10 minutes @ 350. Make sure the crust has cooled completely before pouring in the next step.

Cheesecake layer:

16 oz cream cheese, room temp
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Cream the cream cheese and sugar well. Add eggs, one at a time until incorporated well. Add vanilla. Pour into cooled crust and bake @ 350 for 20 minutes. Remove and add sour cream layer.

Sour cream
16 oz sour cream
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients well. I pipe it on the top with a ziplock to get it on evenly and then smooth it with an offset spatula.

Put back in oven for 5 more minutes at 350. Cool on the counter for one hour, then refrigerate. This will take a minimum of 6 hours to set up in the fridge, but chilling overnight is preferred. It is a very creamy/custardy cheesecake. The dairy:egg:sugar ratio is just about 4:1:1 (the sugar is a little higher, but cream cheese also has some tartness to offset it).

The strawberry topping was just gilding the lily because i had some nice strawberries in. I made it by macerating the chopped strawberries with a little sugar, then bringing too a simmer in a saucepot (with a little extra water) and thickening with a slurry made from a little of the reserved strawberry juice and corn starch.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

That looks awesome. Quick question: what's something good I can add into the cheesecake and swirl around to look nice? Could I use just regular bakers chocolate, or will that mess with the cake? I'm going to go with that recipe but I'd like to garnish it, or pretty it up so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe mix some melted and slightly cooled chocolate with some of the batter, then swirl that in? I would only do that on the cream cheese layer, and not the sour cream layer though.

• Locked thread