Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I've added some of that hard shell ice cream topping to decorate pies before and it turned out well. You can drizzle it on top and while it's still liquid you can take a toothpick and make hash marks. Once you put it in the fridge it will harden up, giving a nice crunchy contrast to the pies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Click here for the full 968x1296 image.

Made this cake for a friend. I'm not super happy with it, but I thought I would share anyway.

I tried a different chocolate buttercream recipe, and I prefer something a little more glossy. Oh well. It tastes great, but it was VERY hard to smooth and hardened quickly. I used a warm spatula, but it is still full of lines. I wish I had a better scraper like I have at work. Goofed up the writing a bit as well. I'm sure she won't even notice though.

I hate being a perfectionist...

Anyway, the cake is gluten free chocolate with a coffee cream between the layers - 3 layers of cake, 2 layers of amazing cream.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Harlequinn posted:

This delicious cake was cooked up for my girlfriends birthday.

Gyardos used bite, it was super effective! (Though sadly for the Magikarps, splash... wasn't)

adorable.

Was that just regular wilton fondant? I'm still learning about fondant so I like to pester everyone.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Tiger Tiger cupcakes - these seriously taste just like the ice cream:

Anise cake with creamsicle seven minute frosting and a black licorice drizzle.

Soshi
Apr 25, 2004
Make a Charisma Check!
Today I made some sugar flowers for a cake I'm making. I was pretty happy with them; they are made without any cutters. :) Freehanding is fun and hard!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Soshi posted:

Today I made some sugar flowers for a cake I'm making. I was pretty happy with them; they are made without any cutters. :) Freehanding is fun and hard!

Holy poo poo that's great. I'm just not sure about the green, but I assume it'll complement the cake colours.

Soshi
Apr 25, 2004
Make a Charisma Check!

Wazzu posted:

Holy poo poo that's great. I'm just not sure about the green, but I assume it'll complement the cake colours.

Yeah, they asked for "forest green." Don't care for it myself, I'm a black/red rose person, but they loved it. :: shrug ::

Soshi
Apr 25, 2004
Make a Charisma Check!
Okay, the cake: Not the best job, it was quite rushed. I'm still happy with it... or the flowers at least :)

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test
^^^Soshi, that's really nice...your work is so clean.

Helicopter cake for a guy named Sparky who is a Medflight pilot turning 50. This was a cake in which I had bitten off WAY more than I could chew and I'm incredibly glad to be done with it.

I wish I had been able to find clear pipe for the helicopter stand because it would've been less obvious, but oh well.

Sam_I_Am
Feb 4, 2007

I do not like your green cuisine. I find your green cuisine obscene.

frankdiabetes posted:

The wind-blown grass is especially nice. :) Well done.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

frankdiabetes posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is insanity. Do you have any pictures of the process? I really want to know which parts are inedible.

Also, do the blades spin? :ohdear:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My wife is in the market for an airbrush. Any recommendations?

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
I entered the threadcakes contest this year. I'm very much a newcomer to cake decoration (and naturally did not win anything, but I was still drat proud of them). Here are some of my favourites:
(Beware, the first two are huge in full-size)

The carving of all the groves was a bitch to do, had to pin the pattern to the cake and carve through it with a stanley knife. Stabbed myself in the thumb a bunch of times

Second time carving was easier, but still took two evenings of work to finish it

Easiest to decorate, hardest to bake. I swore a lot while pouring the batter

There are 3 or 4 more, but I like these ones the best. I worked exclusively with chocolate and glace icing because I'd never used fondant before. A family friend is a professional baker/decorator, so she gave me a crash-course on working with fondant afterwards and I've gotten some books lately. Difficult (I prefer to work with chocolate), but fun

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere

clarabelle posted:

I entered the threadcakes contest this year. I'm very much a newcomer to cake decoration (and naturally did not win anything, but I was still drat proud of them). Here are some of my favourites:
(Beware, the first two are huge in full-size)

The carving of all the groves was a bitch to do, had to pin the pattern to the cake and carve through it with a stanley knife. Stabbed myself in the thumb a bunch of times

Second time carving was easier, but still took two evenings of work to finish it

There are 3 or 4 more, but I like these ones the best. I worked exclusively with chocolate and glace icing because I'd never used fondant before. A family friend is a professional baker/decorator, so she gave me a crash-course on working with fondant afterwards and I've gotten some books lately. Difficult (I prefer to work with chocolate), but fun

I loving love all of these but especially the dinosaur. This post rules.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Beichan posted:

I loving love all of these but especially the dinosaur. This post rules.

Dinocake was my favourite too. I want to get the t-shirt it's based on, but it's out of print.
The free-standing white chocolate teeth were my favourite bit

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test

PezMaster posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is insanity. Do you have any pictures of the process? I really want to know which parts are inedible.

Also, do the blades spin? :ohdear:

I'm always meaning to do a full photo tutorial to document how I do a cake from start to finish but I never do. :doh:

Sadly, the blades don't spin. But that would have been really cool. I also wanted to add little LED lights to the landing pad but didn't get a chance to do those either.

clarabelle, I love the Threadcakes! I really want to do a 3-D Three Keyboard Cat Moon cake for something but I can't think of an occasion.

HedwigSchmidt
Sep 28, 2006
The origin of love
Not the greatest picture, but I made Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cupcakes today.

Click here for the full 819x614 image.

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.

HedwigSchmidt posted:

Out of every cake in this thread, THIS is the one I want to eat. Right. Now.

Uuuuugh dulce de leche is sooooo good.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

HedwigSchmidt posted:

soooo good - once I figured out that dulce de leche is just condensed milk that you put in the oven, I made it way too often. We ate it by the spoonful.

I made cupcakes for (Canadian) thanksgiving last weekend -

Yam cakes with a marshmallowy seven-minute icing. Really good - My SO liked them better than the pumpkin cake I usually make.

hereyoume
Nov 26, 2002

i'm happy because i got kisses!

HedwigSchmidt posted:

RECIPE! I NEED THIS RECIPE!

PezMaster posted:

soooo good - once I figured out that dulce de leche is just condensed milk that you put in the oven, I made it way too often. We ate it by the spoonful.

What? You can make it in the oven!? I always thought you had to boil it for like HOURS

HedwigSchmidt
Sep 28, 2006
The origin of love
Thank you for the compliments guys.

hereyoume posted:

RECIPE! I NEED THIS RECIPE!
Here you go:
http://www.6bittersweets.com/2010/02/chocolate-dulce-de-leche-cupcakes.html

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

hereyoume posted:

What? You can make it in the oven!? I always thought you had to boil it for like HOURS

Pour the condensed milk in a large flat pan (9x13) and have it sit in a bit of water. Cover it with tin foil and bake for about 30 minutes, stir, and bake for another 30 (or until it's caramelized). So. Yummy.

Also, I love 6bittersweets. She made a sesame matcha cupcake that was to die for.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

PezMaster posted:

Yam cakes with a marshmallowy seven-minute icing. Really good - My SO liked them better than the pumpkin cake I usually make.

Would you happen to have a recipe? Hell, recipes? Both of those components sound divine.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Happy Abobo posted:

Would you happen to have a recipe? Hell, recipes? Both of those components sound divine.

I'm less concerned about the cupcakes, but goddamn I need those icing recipes. I'm not a fan of buttercream (it's the thought of eating almost pure butter that gets to me), so I'm always on the lookout for something new to put on a cupcake

MsJoelBoxer
Aug 31, 2004

Your judicial opinions hypnotize me.
This thread is so inspirational. My boyfriend's dad wanted an ice cream cake for his birthday this year and reading about all of these creations gave me the push to try and make one myself. I made all of the layers and froze them good and hard (ice cream layers froze in 9 in. rounds lined with plastic wrap so I could lift them out when they hardened), then stacked them in a springform pan. 4 layers was a bit tall for the pan, so I wrapped the whole thing tightly in plastic wrap and let it all freeze together. I un-molded it last night to see if it had stabilized and it looks really neat! I'll post pictures of the process after I ice it and let it set in the freezer again.

The layers are stacked like this: chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream, chocolate cake, oreo ice cream. I planned to have a cake layer on top, but apparently it is best to have an ice cream layer on top so that it is easier to cut slices. Icing will go on tonight and then I'll probably decorate it tomorrow or Saturday. The patience required to re-freeze every time I take a step is maddening, but what a fun project!

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

/\/\ I've never had an ice cream cake come out well (too impatient). Yours had me at 'oreo ice cream'.

Happy Abobo posted:

Would you happen to have a recipe?
Yeppers.

quote:

Makes 12 Cupcakes

1 pound yams, boiled and mashed (about 1 cup)
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
a pinch finely grounded mace
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 sugar
1/2 brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

1) Preheat oven to 325F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mace. Set aside.

2) In a large bowl with an electric mixer, whip together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until fully incorporated. Beat in mashed yams and vanilla.

3). With a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture slowly until just incorporated. Divide batter evenly between cupcake liners and bake for about 28 minutes (or until your cake tester comes out clean). Set out to cool before icing.

Marshmallowy Seven-Minute Frosting
1/4 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
cinnamon-sugar
candied pecans

1) In heatproof bowl, whisk together the water, sugar, egg whites, cream of tartar and salt. Set the bowl over saucepan of simmering water and beat constantly until mixture holds stiff peaks (about 5 to 7 minutes).

2) Remove from saucepan. Beat until frosting is cooled, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract. Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar and decorate with candied pecan. Enjoy.
Other pictures etc etc are here if you're interested. I think I'll be posting a yam-buttermilk pie I made last weekend there as well. Shame this isn't a cake/pie thread. Or, even better, a cake vs. pie thread.

clarabelle posted:

I'm less concerned about the cupcakes, but goddamn I need those icing recipes. I'm not a fan of buttercream (it's the thought of eating almost pure butter that gets to me), so I'm always on the lookout for something new to put on a cupcake
I am seriously in love with this icing. It's light, not too sugary, and has no butter. It also takes colour really well (if you're into that thing) and it really adapts well to a lot of other flavouring.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

PezMaster posted:

Yeppers.

Awesome, thanks! I've been gathering cake, cupcake, and cookie recipes for a while now, but I haven't tried any because I don't have a stand mixer or electric beaters for creaming butter and sugar. I think those yam cupcakes pushed me over the edge, I'm gonna go pick one up.

PezMaster posted:

Shame this isn't a cake/pie thread. Or, even better, a cake vs. pie thread.

Pie is my favourite treat, hands down. I really want to make a pie thread, but I'm not really confident enough in my piemaking ability, yet. :(

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

What about cake-pies?

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

clarabelle posted:

How did you get it to bake in different colored lines like this? I know how to do the rainbow cake but this is striped....

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

Pooptron2003 posted:

How did you get it to bake in different colored lines like this? I know how to do the rainbow cake but this is striped....

I know some people put down something like parchment paper as dividers, pour the batter in, then pull the paper out.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Timo posted:

I know some people put down something like parchment paper as dividers, pour the batter in, then pull the paper out.

I would have to see someone doing this.... in my head the weight of the batter would just push the parchment paper out and splooge underneath it.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Hm...I'd probably try really chilling the batter in piping bags then doing lines like that while the batter is still cold.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Pooptron2003 posted:

It's tricky. You need a steady hand and thick batter. I used a Victoria Sponge recipe and it's always quite thick, it only spreads out when you bake it

I adore rainbow cakes. I was a lurker when the original rainbow cake thread was happening and it inspired me to do some of my own. I just so happen to love a challenge

To start, I measured the inside of the sandwich tin and cut some greaseproof paper to those exact specs. Then I divided the width by five and measured out five equal stripes. I put that in the pan and covered it with more greaseproof paper to line the pan (most of my pans are old and crappy). I mixed my colours and started very carefully putting each colour into its line. I had to be really precise, holding a palette knife against the part I was working on helped keep it straight. Once I'd finished one stripe, I got straight onto the next one before the batter started to run. You can't afford to waste time with this one. The top doesn't matter so much as long as the bottom is straight. Just baked it as normal after that. I was delighted when it came out the way I wanted it. Not all the lines were perfect, but the icing covered any wobbly bits

Here's a pic of the work in progress:

And here it is carved but un-iced. You can see the wobbly bits that were strategically iced over

Most of the mixtures I've seen in the rainbow cake thread are quite thin. They spread really easily, whereas all my mixtures turn out thick, so I find it hard to do circles

Give it a shot with the Victoria sponge recipe. It's a great cake for gay pride

(It also helps that I have a sense of colours and shapes that's a little bit 'spergy. My kindergarten teacher got really excited one day because I'd done a really complex pattern on a peg board. These days they would've packed me off to get checked for Aspergers (I don't have it, I'm just a little further along that scale than most people)

clarabelle fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 16, 2010

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Octofoot posted:

What about cake-pies?

Or pie-cakes?

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test

PezMaster posted:

Or pie-cakes?

Explanation and recipe, please!

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

Staring directly into the collective Goatse.cx of the Internet’s soul.

PezMaster posted:

Or pie-cakes?

frankdiabetes posted:

Explanation and recipe, please!

Seconded!!!
That looks like pumpkin pie in a cupcake.

PUMPKIN PIE
IN A CUPCAKE

That hurts my brain and I want to make it. Now.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Tuesday Morning posted:

Seconded!!!
That looks like pumpkin pie in a cupcake.

PUMPKIN PIE
IN A CUPCAKE

That hurts my brain and I want to make it. Now.

Then may I introduce you and frankdiabetes to Bake it in a Cake.

The picture I posted is indeed a pumpkin pie in a cake, and the recipe is here

They have good things in there. And maybe some not so good things.

:(

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with the Cricut cake machine? I've been interested in it but I'm really not sure if I want to drop that much money on something.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

PezMaster posted:

If someone tried to feed me that, I would get the distinct urge to punch them in the face

It does however, sound like a fun halloween prank
Or an excellent way to keep my brothers from stealing my cupcakes. It only takes one broccoli-related disaster to put someone off for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

Staring directly into the collective Goatse.cx of the Internet’s soul.

PezMaster posted:

They have good things in there. And maybe some not so good things.

I AM DOING THIS WITH BACON

• Locked thread