Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

clarabelle posted:

How did you colour it? Any time I try to colour chocolate, the texture gets messed up to the point where I can't pipe it or do any intricate work at all

I dipped a fork in Wilton gel color and stirred it into the melted wafers. Oddly, the purple didn't blend as well as the pink and particles could be seen in the chocolate, but the texture was fine. I also used decorator bottles instead of piping bags, they seemed to keep the chocolate from cooling as fast while I was using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

Chocolate mini-cupcakes with pink-colored vanilla frosting with a plethora of Wal-Mart Valentines Day paraphernalia.

I baked them for the little freshies on my college debate team who have our state tournament next weekend and an all-day practice tomorrow. Nothing like sugar courage when you can't buy them liquor!

(I didn't frost them all because I miscalculated how much powdered sugar I had. Oops! Oh well, it'll give them options...)

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

cocoavalley posted:

I dipped a fork in Wilton gel color and stirred it into the melted wafers. Oddly, the purple didn't blend as well as the pink and particles could be seen in the chocolate, but the texture was fine. I also used decorator bottles instead of piping bags, they seemed to keep the chocolate from cooling as fast while I was using it.

So was it pure chocolate or did you add any icing sugar? I'm interested to try making some of my own, but I've had trouble piping melted chocolate before, it all comes out too fast

Hauki
May 11, 2010

clarabelle posted:

So was it pure chocolate or did you add any icing sugar? I'm interested to try making some of my own, but I've had trouble piping melted chocolate before, it all comes out too fast
Your chocolate was probably too hot then - let it cool for a minute. I find chocolate to be one of the easiest things to pipe.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

clarabelle posted:

I didn't add anything to the chocolate, but wouldn't call it pure because I used candy wafers (aka melting chocolate) which are waxy from the extra junk ingredients in them used for stabilizing. They were bought in bulk, but are likely by Make'n'Mold.

I have never tried to use quality chocolate for these kinds of decorations, so if that is what you are using, it might explain the troubles (although wafers have their own issues like burning, seizing and/or lumps from overheating.)

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
For any of you in the Seattle area, apparently there's a "Cupcake Camp" coming up in April. I'm not a baker by any means, I'm just impressed by all of the different flavor and display combinations that people come up with (like in this thread). There's also a contest with several different categories.

http://cupcakecampseattle.com/

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

Kitsch! posted:

For any of you in the Seattle area, apparently there's a "Cupcake Camp" coming up in April. I'm not a baker by any means, I'm just impressed by all of the different flavor and display combinations that people come up with (like in this thread). There's also a contest with several different categories.

http://cupcakecampseattle.com/

I'm very tempted to cross the border with a toyota full of cupcakes for this one. I love Ballard (especially their amazing vegan cupcakes) and I'm sure it would be a hoot. Anyone in the area have some extra fridge space we could take up?

I baked a Valentine's Cake last weekend for some Iranian friends. Pistachio and rosewater with a hint of lime, cumin, and allspice. Very luxurious.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Do muffins count? They're kind of like cousins to cupcakes, and this recipe is kind of like banana bread, so it's sort of a bastard child...

Anyway, here's a 3x recipe batch of banana chocolate chip muffins, hope nobody minds:

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

PezMaster posted:

I'm very tempted to cross the border with a toyota full of cupcakes for this one. I love Ballard (especially their amazing vegan cupcakes) and I'm sure it would be a hoot. Anyone in the area have some extra fridge space we could take up?

Wish I could help, I live about 40 miles south of Seattle though. I'm waiting to hear back about a job downtown, so you never know. Some of us might come up from Tacoma anyway to check it out.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I don't know if this fits in here, as you guys are clearly a lot more talented than I am at pastry, but I made some Baba au Rhum this weekend:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My girlfriend loves an excuse to bake, this time it was valentines day and I felt like showing off the results. Yesterday she made me this delicious cake from scratch. It's a chocolate cake with oreo cream cheese filling and chocolate ganache frosting and buttercream decorations. Her only complaint about it was that her buttercream was a little too thin so the flowers sank/pancaked out a bit. My only complaint is a teensy bit too much princess in the flowers for my personal taste, though they are still yummy.

There is also a picture of the kitchen devastation which was had making this cake if interested. It is not a pretty site, unless a kitchen covered in various steps of cake is pretty. :)

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
I just got some nice dutch process cocoa from Penzey's, looking for a cake recipe that will be good to show that off. Gonna crosspost in question thread for maximum exposure, because I need to find something by this evening, my husband's birthday is tomorrow.

For what it's worth, I plan on turning whatever cake I make into an ice cream cake.

He really likes red velvet cake, but the last time I tried to make him one was a disaster. The first recipe I tried came from this thread, it ended up with a nice flavor but really dry (I guess I could have overcooked it?). The second one was a recipe from a southern cakes cookbook. It had a great texture, but the flavor wasn't as good.

Also the cat ate half of one of the layers of the second one while it was cooling. :(

Edit:
vvvv Ooh that looks nice, I would probably do a cream cheese frosting also. Thanks!

Randomity fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 15, 2011

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,166,145171-234207,00.html

This is a very moist chocolate cake recipe that I've used several times and it always comes out delicious. For the frosting, however, I usually do something different depending what I feel like. Either a buttercream recipe or cream cheese based frosting.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
Valentine's cake for my husband:

Strawberry cake with cream cheese frosting and chocolate ganache. It's pretty delicious.

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005
Did a testrun today for birthday Cthulhu cupcakes, sry for the lovely picture, will take better on saturday

Click here for the full 968x860 image.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

PezMaster posted:

I baked a Valentine's Cake last weekend for some Iranian friends. Pistachio and rosewater with a hint of lime, cumin, and allspice. Very luxurious.

Holy poo poo. Hooollly poo poo.

May I please have that recipe pretty please?

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

BigHead posted:

Holy poo poo. Hooollly poo poo.

May I please have that recipe pretty please?

Yessir:

C&C Cakery posted:

Iranian Pistachio-Rosewater Cake

1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon rosewater
1 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
6 eggs, separated
1 cup of pistachios, toasted and coarsely chopped

1) Preheat the oven to 350F. Oil a 9-inch round cake pan. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cumin, and allspice in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.

2) In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar into light and creamy. Add the honey, rosewater, and lime juice and mix well. Blend in your egg yolks, adding them one at a time until everything is even. With a wooden spoon, slowly mix the flour mixture into the butter mixture, until fully incorporated.

3) In a large bowl, beat the egg whites (with a pinch of cream of tartar if needed) until they hold stiff peaks. Scoop in a bit of the whites into the thick batter and stir in order to lighten the batter a bit. With a spatula, slowly and carefully fold the whites into the batter so that the colour is all even. Fold in the pistachios right afterwards.

4) Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until your cake tester comes out nice and clean. Sit out to cool, then remove it from the pan when it's able.

Rosewater Icing
2 1/2 confectioners sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1 3/4 Tablespoons rosewater
2 teaspoons lime juice
1/2 cup pistachios, half finely chopped and half whole

1) Combine the confectioners sugar, milk, rosewater, and lime juice, and whisk well so that everything is nice and smooth. Add more milk or sugar until you get a nice thick - but spreadable - icing.

2) If you wish, take a 2-inch round cookie cutter and cut out the center of your cake. Spread the icing on so it covers the top and the sides of the cake. Let it drip into the middle hole, and sprinkle the whole pistachios in the center as well. Take the finely chopped pistachios and sprinkle all over the top. Wait for the icing to set, then serve to the ones you love.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

H110Hawk posted:

Man that looks great, any chance you would be able to get the recipe from your girlfriend? I don't make a lot of cakes but I would love to try this one.

Nagasaur
Apr 8, 2009
Okay guys...This is my first attempt at decorating a cake.

It's my boyfriend's birthday, he's in his mid-twenties, is totally grumpy about birthdays, and loves Adventure Time.

This is supposed to be "Lumpy Space Princess".

I was going to make a big, homemade double or triple layer chocolate cake but his mom usually does that for him. I can't compete with that, sooo I did Funfetti. I usually prefer making everything from scratch, so it kind of stung a bit, but eh. I like the juxtaposition between the funfetti and LSP.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Chocolate-Sauerkraut Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting. I call it "The Cthulhu".

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Robo Olga posted:

Man that looks great, any chance you would be able to get the recipe from your girlfriend? I don't make a lot of cakes but I would love to try this one.

Hello! I am the girlfriend. I combined a couple of different recipes for this cake. The cake itself is the (awesome) recipe from the back of the Hersheys Cocoa Powder box:

2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Split each layer, so that you have four layers.

Filling (from a Kraft recipe for Oreo Cake):

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 c. cool whip
12 chopped oreos

1. Whip whipping cream and set aside
2. Whip together cream cheese and sugar
3. Stir in cool whip and oreos into cream cheese

This didn't end up being enough filling. I would suggest doubling it. I ended up adding in more oreos and some buttercream frosting to make it stretch.

Ganache Frosting (From Martha Stewart):

1 pound good-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 1/3 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup corn syrup (I know that this is technically blasphemy but it gives the cake that great shine)

1. Place chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Bring cream and corn syrup just to a simmer over medium-high heat; pour mixture over chocolate. Let stand, without stirring, until chocolate begins to melt.
2. Beginning near the center and working outward, stir melted chocolate into cream until mixture is combined and smooth (do not overstir).
3. Refrigerate, stirring every 5 minutes, until frosting just barely begins to hold its shape and is slightly lighter in color. Use immediately (ganache will continue to thicken after you stop stirring).

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

PezMaster posted:

Chocolate-Sauerkraut Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting. I call it "The Cthulhu".

What

So uh how were those?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

PezMaster posted:

That sounds like something someone would try to force feed me in a nightmare. Seriously, sauerkraut in a cupcake makes anything I've seen on crazy cooking show challenges pale in comparison.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011
Actually (regarding the chocolate-sauerkraut cake) I'm betting the sauerkraut made them really moist and tender and added a little interesting texture. I may have to try these, if PezMaster would share the recipe?

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted, I suppose.
I'm increasingly of the opinion that she drunk bakes.

A LOT.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Staryberry posted:

Hello! I am the girlfriend. I combined a couple of different recipes for this cake. The cake itself is the (awesome) recipe from the back of the Hersheys Cocoa Powder box:

2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Split each layer, so that you have four layers.

Filling (from a Kraft recipe for Oreo Cake):

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 c. cool whip
12 chopped oreos

1. Whip whipping cream and set aside
2. Whip together cream cheese and sugar
3. Stir in cool whip and oreos into cream cheese

This didn't end up being enough filling. I would suggest doubling it. I ended up adding in more oreos and some buttercream frosting to make it stretch.

Ganache Frosting (From Martha Stewart):

1 pound good-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 1/3 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup corn syrup (I know that this is technically blasphemy but it gives the cake that great shine)

1. Place chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Bring cream and corn syrup just to a simmer over medium-high heat; pour mixture over chocolate. Let stand, without stirring, until chocolate begins to melt.
2. Beginning near the center and working outward, stir melted chocolate into cream until mixture is combined and smooth (do not overstir).
3. Refrigerate, stirring every 5 minutes, until frosting just barely begins to hold its shape and is slightly lighter in color. Use immediately (ganache will continue to thicken after you stop stirring).

Thank you so much. It'll be a few days before I can make it but I will be sure to post pictures

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Oh For gently caress posted:

I'm increasingly of the opinion that she drunk bakes.

A LOT.

I still think she's pregnant

Or taking recipe tips from Masaokis

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

I see I have some disbelievers :colbert:

Elaieva posted:

Actually (regarding the chocolate-sauerkraut cake) I'm betting the sauerkraut made them really moist and tender and added a little interesting texture. I may have to try these, if PezMaster would share the recipe?

Seriously, you've nailed it. This chocolate cake was one of the best I've ever eaten. It was incredibly moist and had a really deep chocolaty flavour, almost like it had been aged (if that makes any sense). Best of all, you could not taste or smell the stink of the cabbage. Actually, if I didn't tell people that there was sauerkraut in it, they would not have noticed at all. The kraut could seriously be looked over as coconut inside the cake. I had a lot of people who flat out didn't believe what was in it.

You guys have to try it:

C&C Cakery posted:

Cthulhu Cupcakes: Chocolate-Kraut Cake with Nutty Frosting
Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes
3/4 cup of chopped sauerkraut, washed and drained
2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1-1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of butter
3 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 cup of water + 1/2 cup of milk
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips

1) Preheat the oven to 350F. Place the sauerkraut in a sieve and rinse with cold water. Let it drain in the sink until you're ready to use it. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.

2) In a large bowl, whip together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and then vanilla, mixing well after every addition.

3) Add the dry ingredients and the milk/water mixture, alternating between the two and stirring with a wooden spoon until everything is incorporated. Add the sauerkraut and the chocolate chips into the batter, until it is evenly distributed.

4) Spoon into cupcake liners to bake. Leave in the oven for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until your cake tester comes out clean. Set out to cool before icing.

Nutty Frosting
2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2/3 cup heavy cream
green colour gel, optional

1) Beat the heavy cream until it's reached soft peaks. Set aside.

2) Place the peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt together in a large bowl. Whip with an electric mixer until everything is evenly distributed. Add the confectioners sugar, a little at a time, until completely mixed in.

3) Fold the peanut butter mixture into the whipped cream with a wooden spoon until fully combined. If you wish, separate 1/3 of the frosting and dye it green. Then, place the icing in a piping bag and pipe over cooled cupcakes. Enjoy the horror.

I've got to post this as well - It's the Necronomicake that was at Cthulhupalooza with our cupcakes. It was amazingly awesome nerdy:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I made some cake! Not being used to my parents' oven, it went a little over, but it didn't taste dry, it just went kind of biscuity. I call it chocolate island cake.

Click here for the full 1152x1536 image.

You just bake two 7 inch cakes and then using two different sized cutters, cut a ring out of the top cake. Then use chocolate melted together with butter to glue the sides together and fill up the pool, and then pop the island piece back in.

What do you do with the ring of cake? Stuff it full of sorbet and give it to any nearby male relative.

Click here for the full 1152x1536 image.

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011

PezMaster posted:

Chocolate Kraut cake recipe that I am totally trying
I'm totally making this over the weekend. MUST TRY IT. Will report back once done :)

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
I've been secretly following this thread for a while and finally found some time to make something, which was...

PezMaster posted:

So those Blueberry-Pomegranate Cupcakes . . .

And they were, as you stated, "loving delicious."

Quick question (for anyone): The bottom and sides of the cupcakes are a little soggy. Could it be because I didn't use cupcake cups/liners but simply sprayed my muffin pan with PAM and poured in the batter? This usually works great with muffins because it slightly crisps the outside.

eternalbuffalo
Jun 8, 2005

Life still hard.
It's a friend's birthday tomorrow, and I have volunteered to make her a cake. She has requested a cherry chocolate cake of some kind, like a Black Forest cake but that's too "normal" for me and if I were doing that, I'd just buy a Black Forest at the grocery store.

This recipe posted earlier has tickled my fancy: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/

My question is, can I replace the peanut butter frosting with cherry??? I was thinking I could just do this -

10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
5 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2/3 cup cherry pie filling, preferably a commercial brand (because oil doesn’t separate out)

Do you guys think it'd turn out horrible?? Theoretically, it'd just be a cherry ganache, correct?

Help, goons! I don't bake very often but this chick totally saved my rear end a few months ago and she deserves an awesome cake.
Advice????

eternalbuffalo
Jun 8, 2005

Life still hard.
Also, if cherry pie filling were too....I'm not sure, maybe lumpy or whatever....could I maybe substitute it with a cherry syrup, like our province's wonderful Purity Cherry Syrup??

http://www.purity.nf.ca/syrup.html

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005

PezMaster posted:

I'm not brave enough (yet) to venture into Sauerkraut Cupcakes but here are two better pictures of my Cthulhu cupcakes

Click here for the full 1432x1151 image.

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

frankdiabetes
Jan 2, 2010

glucose tolerance test

eternalbuffalo posted:

It's a friend's birthday tomorrow, and I have volunteered to make her a cake. She has requested a cherry chocolate cake of some kind, like a Black Forest cake but that's too "normal" for me and if I were doing that, I'd just buy a Black Forest at the grocery store.

This recipe posted earlier has tickled my fancy: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/08/chocolate-peanut-butter-cake/

My question is, can I replace the peanut butter frosting with cherry??? I was thinking I could just do this -

10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
5 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2/3 cup cherry pie filling, preferably a commercial brand (because oil doesn’t separate out)

Do you guys think it'd turn out horrible?? Theoretically, it'd just be a cherry ganache, correct?

Help, goons! I don't bake very often but this chick totally saved my rear end a few months ago and she deserves an awesome cake.
Advice????

This site here has a recipe for a cherry swiss meringue buttercream using cherry preserves that looks decent (I sometimes prefer meringue buttercreams to american buttercreams but that cream cheese recipe you have could also be very tasty.)

This is what I would do: layers of chocolate sour cream cake, a filling of cherry pie filling or cherry preserves, the cherry icing (cream cheese or SMBC), and the chocolate ganache glaze on top (but not peanut butter, I would use a 1.5:1 ratio of dark chocolate to heavy cream and stir in a few tablespoons of kirsch and a couple tablespoons of softened butter). And then you can decorate it with maraschino cherries or something.

If she likes the combination of cherry and chocolate I think that would be really excellent.

Circusmacabre
Sep 3, 2006
Belle Marie Antoinette "Love the pearls!" They'll make a great tourniquet.
I love the Cthulu cupcakes, I browse this thread loaads and it always makes me want to make fancy cakes. I finally did though, for my boyfriend's birthday, it's the first cake I've made without my mum so I'm pretty undeservedly proud of it. (Also made for some good procrastination.)

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

It's not very smooth and was supposed to be black not grey but I think it turned out ok! The bits I chopped off tasted good too even thogh I forgot the eggs till the very last minute...

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

scr0llwheel posted:

I've been secretly following this thread for a while and finally found some time to make something, which was...

And they were, as you stated, "loving delicious."

Quick question (for anyone): The bottom and sides of the cupcakes are a little soggy. Could it be because I didn't use cupcake cups/liners but simply sprayed my muffin pan with PAM and poured in the batter? This usually works great with muffins because it slightly crisps the outside.

Glad you enjoyed them! Yep, they would be definitely greasy from the PAM. Cupcakes are too full of fats for one to use oil/butter/PAM - The best thing you could use is the natural brown liners. They hold the shape and make sure all the fat doesn't leave everything all greasy on the bottom.

To continue my drunk creative baking spree, I'm baking chocolate cupcakes with coconut seven minute frosting tonight. Oh, and I'm baking a cadbury creme egg inside. I was tempted to use my chocolate-kraut recipe for this one, but my buddies vetoed me. I guess the kraut and creme egg combo finally broke the camels back :(

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
My sister had a big birthday this year, so I decided to bake her a cake filled with her favorite things. It is a chocolate cake that I soaked in frangelico, with a nutella filling, and a chocolate ganache frosting.

IMG_2095 by H110Hawk, on Flickr

I also just started working with gumpaste. I got the Wilton gumpaste kit and have been working from there. I made the bouquet over the course of a week, then wrapped the stems in aluminum foil and inserted them into a hole I made in the cake.

IMG_2089 by H110Hawk, on Flickr

The car ride to the party was incredibly nerve wracking. I was terrified they would break, but they held up great!

The end result was delicious and extremely rich. Yum!

IMG_2107 by H110Hawk, on Flickr

edited for spelling

Staryberry fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 1, 2011

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just made this. I thought maybe it was a cake, or a pie in english but apparently it's called a crumble. Made with lingonberries (picked & turned into jam by us), my mom used to make these and I got the recipe from her, first attempt. Slightly overdone.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just made this. I thought maybe it was a cake, or a pie in english but apparently it's called a crumble. Made with lingonberries (picked & turned into jam by us), my mom used to make these and I got the recipe from her, first attempt. Slightly overdone.

Those.look.amazing.

Recipe?

• Locked thread